Dr. Dwight Matthias, MD

Dr. Dwight Matthias, MD

Internal Medicine | Male | 52 years old

Dr. Matthias specializes in Internal Medicine and practices in Chesapeake, VA. He practices at 1 location.

Are you Dr. Matthias? Add your own statement here.

Dr. Matthias' Experience

See how Dr. Matthias' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Matthias

Dr. Matthias accepts 19 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Matthias has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Matthias
Dr. Matthias' Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (40)
Washington, DC |
I have a rare condition that causes many issues, I am disabled, and have had two docs refuse to treat me because I was too complex for them. I had called his office three days ago to see if he had ever heard of my condition or would at least be willing to spend ten minutes researching it so that I didn't waste his time or mine. Didn't hear back so I called again today. Admin who answered said he won't waste his time looking that up before someone is even a patient. She said more but it won't fit
in Newport News |
It is his office staff that keeps me from recommending him to others.I have had to fill out the pre-auth forms for medication for my ins comp (which the patient is not supposed to do).I was told to give them the fax # to the lab so they could fax the order for labs (the lab said they fax all the time so they dont know why the office staff told me that).They don't return calls.They're very rude.I would hate to give up such a great doc that I love but after 5 yrs of dealing w/them,I might have to.
in Norfolk, VA |
I wanted to share MY experiences that were negative for others! Lab work gets done ahead of time and the Dr. goes over it with you at your appt. Every time I have gone, Dr. Matthias always hands me my own personal copy of my lab results to take home. I also did not have my records forwarded but that was not an issue for any of the staff. And as any patient with a chronic condition knows, you typically have to book out 3 months in advance, 1-2 for new patient exams and he's worth the wait!
in Norfolk, VA |
In my 20+ years as a Type 1 Diabetic, I have never had any of my endocrinologists help me understand what's going on with my diabetes as much as Dr. Matthias; his style of care is phenomenal. He sits down with me and goes over my insulin pump reports to help me see patterns and figure out what needs to be done. He is very kind but he's also determined to get you to manage your diabetes so he will tell you where things need improvement, I highly recommend him for anyone who needs a good endo!
in Chesapeake, VA |
My appointment with Dr. Matthias was about a month ago. I needed blood drawn so I went to a military clinic because I am a combat veteran. It's been a month and I haven't received my lab results. I called the Chesapeake office. The front desk lady with an accent, told me that calling to get my lab results from the clinic was an INCONVENIENCE and that I need to go get them myself. I called 5 times and left messages to hear from the doctor but nothing. I am in the process of finding a new doctor.
Virginia Beach, VA |
I had my first appointment with Dr. Matthias and it did not get off to a good start. I had forgotten to get my records forwarded and upon informing the receptionist of this I felt as though she might just lose it. She rolled her eyes so much having to deal with my one issue (I was the only patient in the lobby, the phone wasn't ringing so she had no outside distractions) that I thought she was auditioning for the Exorcist. Don't get me started on her sighing. I thought she had a slow leak.
I'm at the office door for a 9:00 appointment. Door is locked and the answering service can't contact anyone. What a waste of time
in Chesapeake, VA |
Office staff are very unfriendly. I feel like they don't like their jobs and take it out on the patients. Never willing to go that extra mile. Sad. Dr Mathias is wonderful. Just hard to get an appointment with him. Had to wait over 2 months for first visit.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Matthias is one of the most compassionate and knowledgable doctors I have ever has the pleasure of being his patient.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Matthias is a very compassionate doctor who takes his patients conditions seriously. He is thorough, explaining test results in a manner that is understood by a layman. He does not rush, allowing the patient enough time to ask questions. I feel very comfortable asking him questions about my condition, medications, etc.
Have you seen Dr. Dwight Matthias, MD?
Are you Dr. Matthias?

Compare Dr. Matthias

Dr. Matthias' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Internal Medicine
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Dr. Matthias does not have any conditions listed. If you are Dr. Matthias and would like to add conditions you treat, please update your free profile.

Saint George`S University / School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1992

Albert Einstein Coll Med

Completed in 1997

Stanford University

Completed in 2000

Stanford University School Of Med

Completed in 2000

Dr. Matthias does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Matthias and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Matthias does not have any procedures listed. If you are Dr. Matthias and would like to add procedures you perform, please update your free profile.

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.