Dr. Drew Stein, MD

Dr. Drew Stein, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Drew Stein treats all types of orthopedic injuries with a specialty in sports medicine. Dr. Stein is experienced in shoulder dislocations, Arthroscopy, Rotator Cuff Repair and Meniscus Surgery. He is also a professional member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Awards & Accolades Top 10 Doctor - Neighborhood (2014) Midtown East Orthopedic Surgeon On-Time Doctor Award (2014) Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Society – University of Pittsburgh Affiliation New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases Office Hours Monday through Friday: 8.00 am - 5.00 pm

Drew A. Stein, MD

• Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Oxford Health Plans
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Stein

See how frequently Dr. Stein performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Hip Sprain
high
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain
high

Dr. Stein's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Patient Testimonials

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Office staff was courteous and Dr Stein was very thorough.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Everyone, especially Dana Silver was wonderful. A kind and thoughtful physicians assistant and clinic.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Dr. Stein radiates competence and compassion. Unlike the other (highly rated) Orthopedic Surgeon that I have seen, his approach places surgery as the last treatment; not the first.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Excelence.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Helpful.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein I had shoulder pain for 7 months and Dr. Stein was the first person to prescribe the correct physical therapy.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Great.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Dr. Stein and his entire staff are excellent. Very professional, caring and responsive. Dr. Stein is very easy to talk to and is excellent with his diagnosis, surgery and followup. I can't say enough good things about him. Clearly he is a leader in his field. I recommend him highly. He will not disappoint.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Dr. Stein and his office were great to deal with, they explained all aspects of my surgery and rehab, and answered all my questions. I was never rushed, and I felt comfortable that I was getting quality care.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein Very professional and direct. Extremely hands on, especially with the surgery.

This content was provided by Dr. Stein "Specifically designed treatment plans for each patient depending on their age, activity level, goals, work requirements, and exercise interests"

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Compartment Syndrome
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gluteal Muscle Strain
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Hip Labral Tear
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprains and Tears
  • Meniscus Injuries
  • Meniscus Tear
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon
  • Strain of Hamstring Muscle
  • Stress Fracture
  • Stress Fracture of Foot
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

• Corticosteroid Treatment
  • Knee Surgery
  • Meniscus Surgery
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Quadriceps Tendon Repair

Nature of Complaint: Zip Code or County of Event: 10016
  • Settlement : 5/2/2014
    Amount or Range: Above Average
    Nature of Complaint: Zip Code or County of Event: New York County, NY

• Boston University, Sargent College Of Allied Health Professions, Bachelor Of Science In Physical Therapy
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • New York University-Hospital For Joint Diseases
  • University Of Pennsylvania Health System, Sports Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Stein has no awards or honors listed.

• Current Concepts Review, Patellofemoral Arthritis, 8/06
  • Age and ACL Reconstruction Revisted, 6/06
  • Proximal Realignment Operations of the Patella, 2005
  • Rotational Malalignment of the Patella, in Common Patellofemoral Problems, 2005
  • One-Portal Endoscopically Assisted Fasciotomy for Exertional Compartment Syndrome, 1/05
  • Adolescent Athlete Injury Prevention, 8/05
  • Steroids in Baseball/Congressional Hearings, 3/05

Dr. Stein does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stein and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Stein's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stein to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Stein's Performance
Dr Stein and his PA Dana have treated me for several years now. I have knee problems and they have helped to live pain free of w minimal pain. They are accommodating, friendly, true professionals. I feel like I'm visiting friends when I go to their office. I highly recommend this team!!!
Treats me like a patient not a customer.
Dr Stein is very straight to the point. He immediately discussed my surgery options, and explained it very well. Post-op, his staff is good with following up on my condition after surgery. easy to schedule appointments.
Dr. Stein repaired my ACL and meniscus after a sports injury. I felt comfortable with his recommendation because he took the time to explain my options and why that particular procedure made sense given my age and lifestyle. I have had no issues since the surgery and Dr. Stein has been diligent in guiding me on my recovery path. In summary, he is focused on positive patient outcomes and making sure that everything goes according to plan long after the patient is off the operating table.
dr. stein gave me two options on how best to treat me, one being a lessor procedure and the second option would intail 30 sessions of pt, dr stein advised me to go with the second option and as a result i feel great. i would be happy to refer anyone in issues like mine to him. thank you alan yorke.
Simply said, Dr Stein is fantastic. I tore my labrum and he performed surgery three weeks later. Dr Stein repaired my shoulder with three anchors & I can joyously report I had had far less pain than expected! In my post op follow-up I learned that Dr Stein was involved in designing minimally invasive anchors to which I attribute my relative lack of pain.
start to finish.
Dr. Stein has treated my entire family for both knee and shoulder issues. He only operates when absolutely necessary and his competence adds exponentially to your level of comfort as a patient. His staff is also excellent and conveniences the patients as much as possible. I live in Long Island but would not go to any other Orthopedic Surgeon. He operates out of the very efficient NYU Langone Medical Center.
Follow-ups after surgery were quick and to the point. You don't sit around the office waiting to be seen, you go in and you're out in a timely manner, which was great for my busy schedule. Knocking on wood I don't need any form of lower-extremity work any time soon, but if I do, I'll be going back to Dr. Stein and his crew. Also, the front desk staff were super helpful. They worked with my schedule and even allowed me to shift appointments the day of to make them work for my meetings etc.
Brooklyn, NY |
I had arthroscopic surgery 2 years ago at HSS, still experiencing pain ,stiffness... i went to Dr stein for a consultation in Spring 2016, he only spent about 5 minute with me and recommend me to get an MRI. The following up visit he didn't even take a look at the picture of my knee MRI , just told me what the report says,"it's possible there is a lateral meniscus tear" .He only cares about his surgery. Since i was not certain to have the second knee surgery, he is not interested.
Dr Stein got me back up and running with astonishing speed. He and his staff were attentive and thorough throughout the whole process. If you tear it, they will fix it.
in New York, NY |
If I could give zero stars I would. Drew and his staff are terrible. They are constantly rushed, do not give full information on possible outcomes of surgery to patients, neglect their patients during post-op care, and treat them as in inconvenience whenever the patients ask questions. The billing department is abysmal and forgets to send bills to insurance companies, causing delays in reimbursement to patients and extraordinary costs. The entire staff is incredibly rude.
Dr stein was very detailed to ensure I was calm and understood everything step of phisical therapy and surgery.I am extremely happy with the result and pleased with the handling of Dr stein's staff.Eveyone was understanding and caring.Once again thank you Dr for everything
Dr. Stein is the best at what he does.
Dr Stein was great. He was able to see me the same week I called. He was made sure I understood what my injury was, and recommended a course of action that would get me back to 100% to keep playing sports and staying active. Dr. Stein's PA, Dana, was great and was patient with all my crazy questions during my post opt week. My experience with Dr. Stein and his team has been great, and if I ever get hurt again, I'll be going back!
Dr. Stein did an excellent job of repairing my torn rotator cuff in January 2016, and I recommend him highly. I found him to be attitude-free, easy to talk to, clear and direct in his assessment of my condition, accessible, and highly skilled. I found his entire office staff tremendously helpful, respectful, and concerned in all my interactions with them. Dana Silver, Dr. Stein’s PA, is attentive and proficient. Dr. Stein listened to me and never tried to sell me on ...
Saw Dr. Stein for a meniscus tear and other ankle injuries--excellent surgeon, his staff is very attentive, excellent care
Dr. Drew Stein was absolutely amazing! He has very warm and personable bedside manner. He is extremely knowledgeable and was able to explain my condition in a way that was easy to understand. Furthermore, he was very sympathetic to my lack of medical insurance and made sure to go over any charges with me beforehand. I've never waited to see him for more than five minutes and his staff is all friendly and helpful. After all of my appointments he made sure to tell me that h...
Dr Stein was Amazing i had a torn bicep from auto accident that he did surgery on and 6 months later its completely healed with Great results. Im very active person lifting and boxing so i was concerned how good it would be on performance level but all i can say this doctor has amazing gift GOD Bless him.
Dr. Stein and his staff were amazing. I tore my labrum and rotator cuff training for a triathlon. Dr. Stein took the time to explain my options and together we decided on a plan. I am now 4 months out of surgery and not only does my shoulder feel as strong as ever but I'm on pace to participate in the race. I'm very grateful to Dr. Stein and his fabulous PA, Dana.
Great service from day one after I injured my knee. Booked in for a MRI immediately and diagnosed a torn ACL. Discussed surgery options and reconstruction methods at length. Back running six months after surgery. Very happy with overall experience.
my entire experience was pleasant, professional and thorough. i would recommend Dr. Stein and his staff to anyone in need of orthopedic care
Diagnosis was accurate and surgery went very well.
Dr. Stein made made feel at ease about a major ACL surgery using a patellar autograft. He was very communicative, willing to talk about my options and what I was getting into. He made me feel very confident that he could get the job done and he was right! My knee feels great! I had torn my ACL 2x before meeting Dr. Stein and I must say, the experience with him was lightyears better than with my prior surgeon. Would recommend him to all ages dealing with joint problems.
So happy that my shoulder is basically back to normal. Only regret is I have to go back to helping the wife carry the groceries into the house! Awesome staff, very accommodating office.
Dr. Drew Stein spent time with me and addressed my concerns.
I was very pleased at how my situation was handled from initial assessment through post-surgery follow up.
Dr. Stein operated on my knee in April to repair my ACL. He did a great job and I can honestly tell he cares about his patients. He is always willing to spend time with you. I would recommend Dr. Stein to anyone.
I had a great experience. Surgery was scheduled promptly, recovery was fast. Better than what I could reasonably expect. Everything was done with minimal hassle. The only thing that they can improve is that the staff could be a bit more organized and answer the phone more often. Maybe hire more help?
Great experience from the minute I started till the last visit. I am a very happy patient.
in New York, NY |
Misrepresented options available. Terrible manner. Spent less than 5 minutes with me and had his assistant do the work. I would NEVER have this doctor operate on me! I would not recommend him to any friend I had (but maybe someone I did not like). His office staff are rude and incompetent. I have had the same internist for 30 years (not even network) and same gyno for 10 (one before that for 14, but he died). I KEEP my doctors and am totally loyal to them. Got Dr. Stein from my Plan.
Personable, high quality care.
Very professional and direct. Extremely hands on, especially with the surgery.
Great.
Excelence.
Office staff was courteous and Dr Stein was very thorough.
Have you seen Dr. Drew Stein, MD?

Visit Dr. Stein