Dr. Douglas Smith, MD

Dr. Douglas Smith, MD

Rheumatology  |
Dr. Douglas Smith, MD is a rheumatology doctor who practices in Indianapolis, IN. He is 61 years old and has been practicing for 35 years.

8902 N Meridian St Ste 210

Indianapolis, IN 46260

• American Republic
  • Anthem
  • Benesys
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Learn about Dr. Smith

See how frequently Dr. Smith performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Arthritis
Osteoporosis
Autoimmune Diseases

Dr. Smith's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Rheumatology

Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*
  • Rheumatology
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
  • Behçet's Disease
  • Bleeding Disorders
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Chronic Pain
  • Cryoglobulinemia
  • Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Fever
  • Gout
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Hands
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
  • Psoriatic Arthritis
  • Vasculitis
  • Wegener's Granulomatosis

• Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

• Tufts University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1982
  • St Elizabeths Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1983
  • St Elizabeths Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Ind University Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. Smith has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Smith does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Smith and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Smith's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Smith to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Smith's Performance
in Carmel |
Dr. Smith is the kindest most caring individual I have ever met!! He listens to everything before he makes his decisions, he wants and cares about your condition like nobody else. I really mean that, it took some time to find him but it was worth it!!!
in INDIANAPOLIS |
I always tell people how great Dr Smith is and how wonderful his office staff are. He is very compassionate, caring and always has time to listen to what you are saying about how you are feeling. He is very patient in explaining what he thinks is going on and what he feel is the best course of action for treatment. I get injections and have never liked getting shots. But with Dr. Smith, they are so bad! All his nurses and staff are just as caring. I highly recommend Dr. Smith!
in Brownsburg, IN |
I cannot say enough good about Dr. Smith. I have been a patient of his for many years and from the beginning he has listened to me and treated me like he cares. I have never felt rushed through my visit. From the moment I walk into his office, the front desk greets me in a kind manner, I've never waited more than 2-3 minutes. His nurse is very caring as well. These people know you are there because you are not feeling well and dealing with an ongoing medical issue and they want to help!
in Fishers, IN |
His staff is very friendly, informative and helpful.
in Greenfield, IN |
Everyone in Dr. Smith's office is very kind and helpful. Dr. Smith is also a very nice doctor. He listens well, he's kind and he has a good sense of humor. I highly recommend him as a wonderful doctor.
Fishers, IN |
Dr. Smith always takes time to make any injections as painless as possible First, he freezes the skin, then injects the pain medicine, and then the steroids. In addition, he is extremely patient, kind, and gentle in any examinations of my painful joints, He was recommended years ago by a family member who is a doctor in another town in Indiana. I would not dream of going to any other rheumatologist. He has kept this 86-year-old still active, healthy, and happy.
in Plainfield, IN |
Dr. Smith is amazing! He is kind, compassionate, & actually listens to what you have to say. He always asks if you have questions, & provides feedback in terms that are easily understood. The appointments are never rushed, & Dr. Smith spends as much time as needed with you. He understands that every patient is different, & may not respond to the same treatments. He is always willing to discuss new treatment options, if you (or he) feels that the one you’re on isn’t producing sufficient results.
in Avon, Indiana |
Dr. Smith has been my RA expert for the last 19 years. I consider him a friend an someone I can talk to about RA and other life events. He told me about a book that after reading, helped unravel some concerns I had shared with him. RA Associates has been good for me. They all seem to know my name even though I'm only there 2 to 3 times a week. They get up early to, I can go for my check ups and barely miss any time a work.
in Carmel, IN |
I'm sorry, but I do not remember what I wrote. Whatever it was, you have my permission to post it to whatever web site you prefer.
in Zionsville, IN |
i like doctor smith.
in Kokomo, IN |
Great Doctor. He is very attentive to your aches and pains and tries his best to understand what he can do to help you with your problems. He is very much a five star doctor.
Noblesville, IN |
The wait time for my appointment with Dr. Smith was relatively short. He was very thorough in asking questions and examining me. He and his staff were very friendly and explained treatments and procedures well. I would recommend Dr. Smith to friends and family.
in Kokomo, IN |
I moved to IN 6 years ago and was in need of a rheumatologist. A friend recommended Dr. Smith and he is a God send. He takes the time to explain your medical concerns and recommends what is best for your issue. He is patient and very professional and Kelly is an angel. The entire staff at Rheumatology Associates is very professional and pleasant.
in Carmel, IN |
Excellent attention. Dr. Smith, nurses and secretaries are very patience and friendly... I have RA since 1997 and I really appreciate all of the work they have done to help me during the last 10 years when I came to live in US. Laura
in Carmel, IN |
Dr. Smith has been my Rheumatologist for 30 years. I have never had an unpleasant visit. Dr. Smith and his staff are always professional, friendly and efficient. I believe that Dr. Smith is a gifted diagnostician, even if the issue isn't rheumatology related. Then he will refer you to another medical professional. I praise God for Dr. Smith.
in West Lafayette, IN |
Doctor Smith has been my rheumatologist for going on two years now and he is the best. He is very thorough in going over my blood work and tests, including those I bring from other doctors from between visits with him. He is compassionate and really understands my desire to be as unmedicated as possible, even going to far as to suggest supplements and dietary changes I may find helpful for controlling my inflammation and symptoms.
in Plainfield, IN |
Just a short wait, then everything went smooth and fast. The staff is efficient and pleasant and Dr. Smith is professional and friendly.
in Indianapolis, IN |
I always enjoy going to see Dr Smith. I trust him very much with my care. I have been going to see him for 13 years. I think he is the best!
in Noblesville, IN |
Organized, professional and courteous. Very satisfactory visit.
in Indianapolis, IN |
Grateful to have such a caring and understanding doctor. Takes time to listen I never feel that my appointment Is rushed. Always make sure I understand Method of treatment and reason.
Carmel, IN |
Dr. Smith and his staff always treat me with respect,courtesy and compassion. I highly recommend Dr Smith to anyone in need of a skilled Rheumatologist. He listens to the patient and works with them to reach a best treatment plan.
in Fishers, IN |
I have been seeing Dr. Douglas Smith for several years for two rheumatological conditions. Dr. Smith always takes the time to review and confirm my medical history, consider and discuss recent changes and symptoms, and provide a plan which is unique to my specific needs. He expresses genuine concern for my health, well-being, and quality of life.
in Knightstown Indiana |
Dr.Smith is a Amazing physician who I have seen for many many years. I have multiple thing's wrong. He has helped me with it all. I have had multiple times where I called with a flare and they were able to get me in that day. Both Dr. Smith and Kelly his nurse are both earth angels. They have kept me walking without their care I would of been in a nursing home for sure. I love them both so much for taking such fabulous care of me. If you need a physician Dr. Smith and Kelly are the best.
in Indianapolis, IN |
I absolutely love Dr. Smith and have been seeing him for over 20 years. He and his staff really care about my health and help me to live day-to-day as comfortably as possible. Dr. Smith is a very good doctor but also a nice guy and a true humanitarian.
Dr Smith follows up on every health issue you have had. He takes the time to answer any and all questions you have. I highly recommend him!
Indianapolis, IN |
Dr. Smith is excellent on initial consultation, through exam, explicit notes, and comprehensive explanation. Presents possible treatment options & encourages open discussion. After that visit the entire enviornment changes. You have exactly 15 min to spend with doctor. The staff is curt. When I needed 12 pills of Savella to get me to next appointment they refused knowing the side effects it could cause by stopping & not weaning me off. No compassion only condemnation for not calling sooner.
Good afternoon. I'm sorry to hear about your situation and would love to speak with you in more detail offline. We suggest all concerns come to me before using a medium such as this to get a resolution. Patient care and satisfaction is our number 1 priority. Please call the office and ask for me directly during business hours. Director of Operations, Tony Drykos
Indianapolis |
Dr. Smith has an excellent reputation and is very highly regarded. However, he is always rushed and spends very little time listening or communicating. In addition, my wife has repeatedly felt dismissed by his nursing staff who come across as superior and indifferent, usually over the phone.
Afternoon. I'm sorry to read about your experience. Patient care and satisfaction is something we take very series here. I would love to speak with you in more detail offline, so please call the office anytime during regular business hours and I will be more than happy to assist. Director of Operations, Tony Drykos
Have you seen Dr. Douglas Smith, MD?

Visit Dr. Smith

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO
  • Golden Rule
  • HealthLink
    HealthLink PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio