Dr. Douglas Roland Smith, MD

Learn about this Doctor

Dr. Smith's Experience

93Experience
Match

See how Dr. Smith's experience matches your preferences.

Why It Matters: Board Certifications

• Family Practicenull
  • Hospice Care and Palliative Medicinenull

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Utah.

• Other Education

Visiting Dr. Smith

Dr. Smith accepts 1 insurance carrier

1 Insurance Carrier Accepted*

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Smith has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Smith

Dr. Smith's Review Details
      5 based on 2 responses
      Experience with Dr. Smith
      Dr. Smith's Office & Staff
        Under 10 minutes (2)
      Dr. Smith says

Thank you for your input. I take your advice seriously and hope to implement your in sites to my practice to better take care of my patients in the future.

in Taylorsville, UT |
      If you are the Douglas Smith I saw in an Instacare you are the best. You gave me a medication that has made my life better. I can't thank you enough. I wish I had aPCP just like you. Stick to your philosophy. I agree with you 100%!!
      Have you seen Dr. Smith?

• Immunization
      • Physical Examination
      • Urinalysis
      • Vaccination

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Utah.

Medical College of Wisconsin

Graduated in 2003

McKay-Dee Hosp

Completed in 2004

McKay-Dee Hosp

Completed in 2006

University of Utah

Graduated in 1998

Dr. Smith has no media or publications listed.

×

Dr. Smith's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Family Medicine
      • Board certified in Family Practice and Hospice Care and Palliative Medicine
      • Malpractice claims in Utah not available
      ×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Smith

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Smith's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
      Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
      Staff friendliness and courteousness
      Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Smith

Level of trust in provider's decisions
      How well provider explains medical condition(s)
      How well provider listens and answers questions
      Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Smith says...

Make sure I am the right Douglas Smith as there are a few of us around. There is only one Douglas Roland Smith, MD however (the world sighs in relief). I would hate for you to rate me poorly if the other Doug was bad and vice versa. If you saw a Douglas Smith in a Kidscare, Instacare, Hospice, Emergency Room or Hospital it likely is me. (often I have given you a card referring you to this or another site)

I would love your input good and bad. As a physician I hope to learn from you and the only way I can get better is for you to give me your input. Realize there are times you won't agree with the course of treatment I have recommended. For example, if you have a viral upper respiratory infection you won't be given antibiotics because they can harm you if not used for the right reasons. I understand at times this kind of care often frustrates people but I am committed to doing the right thing whether it is easy or difficult. My goal is to work with you to put in place a plan which is good for you.

Often it is just easier for a physician to give in quickly to a bad treatment plan and provide bad care because a patient wants it. It is nice for them to have you like them, hand them your money then quickly send you out the door with crappy care. What would happen if you raised your teenagers like that? Many people do and that is often why our kids have problems. This isn't my way. So if you want that kind of doctor please go find them, but user beware. I don't make referrals to those types of doctors because I care too much for you. If you want another good doctor I will work to help you find one that meets your needs.

Not all doctor-patient relationships were made in heaven. It's much like any relationship. If I had married my high school girlfriend it would not have been good. Not because she was bad or I was bad. She was great! We were both good people who didn't belong together. I think you get it.

If you want an open minded, hard working doctor who is honest to a fault then I would love to meet you. I'm not perfect but I work really hard to be really good. I will tell you what I believe the evidence tells us is the right thing and then we can have a conversation about it and together come up with a plan that takes into consideration your wants but mostly your needs and what medical evidence says is best. Any treatment plan needs to have a few characteristics:

1) Based on a good history and physical exam. 2) Good solid medical evidence. 3) Doable for the patient. 4) Agreement from both Physician and Patient of the course we will travel together to help you.

Don't worry, I have quite thick skin and can take input but lets be respectful. I don't mind if someone is mad about something but I don't expect them to be rude and derogatory to my staff. Lets just be adults and figure things out together and all will be better off in the end.

I appreciate your input and hope for your continued health!

Dr. Smith's Care Philosophy

I believe we have strayed far from the path of providing great care. Great care not only embodies sound medical judgement but a human bond between the doctor and you. When there is trust and a true human connection between both of us great things can be accomplished. We need a health system that puts the Patient or Client at the center of the system. We as health care provider need to find ways to meet your needs and put your needs first instead of our selves or the systems. I am deeply committed to figuring out how to do this and need your input. Only if I am listening and you are empowered to share your voice will we be able to create the right healthcare system of the future.

Primary Care