Dr. Douglas Lucas, DO

Dr. Douglas Lucas, DO

Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. Douglas Lucas, DO is an orthopedic foot & ankle surgery doctor who practices in Durango, CO. He is 39 years old and has been practicing for 8 years. Read his story

1 Mercado St Ste 202

Durango, CO 81301

• Presbyterian Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Lucas

See how frequently Dr. Lucas performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Ankle Sprains and Strains
Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
Ankle Fracture

Dr. Lucas's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Lucas' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Lucas "Douglas E. Lucas, DO, is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the foot and ankle. He is trained in general orthopedics and advanced arthroscopic and minimally invasive techniques used in treating many common foot and ankle problems. His other areas of expertise include limb deformity correction, joint and cartilage preservation, and total ankle replacement. Additional clinical interests include trauma, sports injuries, and pediatric disorders. Dr. Lucas focuses on providing outstanding patient care to the Four Corners region and performs outcome based research to help shape the field of foot and ankle surgery. Dr. Lucas earned his medical degree from the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blacksburg, Virginia and received his general orthopedic training from Ohio University in Columbus, Ohio. He completed his fellowship in foot and ankle surgery at Stanford University, known as a referral center for complex foot and ankle problems. As a result, Dr. Lucas performed over four hundred procedures including limb deformity correction, Charcot reconstruction and total ankle replacement during his year there. He also worked with both Stanford varsity and professional athletes in the bay area. Dr. Lucas is an active member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society and currently holds a seat on the society's research committee helping to encourage meaningful research. He also participates in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery and American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics, among others.During training, Dr. Lucas developed a passion for outcomes based clinical research. He has been published in peer reviewed scientific journals including Foot and Ankle International, The Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, and Foot and Ankle Specialist. He has written book chapters for several orthopedic texts on topics such as plantar plate injury, peroneal tendon injury and hallux rigidus. He also won numerous research awards and prizes for his work and has presented at both local and national meetings. Dr. Lucas moved to Durango with his wife Ashley Lucas, PhD, RD, and their two children. They are avid outdoor enthusiasts and enjoy nearly all activities that the area has to offer. He is particularly interested in mountain and road cycling, hiking, camping, skiing, snowboarding and cross country skiing. He and his wife look forward to settling into the community and raising their children in this wonderful environment. "

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hernia
  • Hip Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp

• Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

• University Of Utah
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2002
  • Edward Via Virginia Coll Of Osteo Med
    Medical School | Graduated 2009
  • Doctors Hospital Ohio Health
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2014
  • Stanford University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Lucas has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Lucas does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Lucas and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Lucas' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Lucas to family and friends
Dr. Lucas' Performance
Durango |
Dr. Lucas is a magician! He put my 17 year old son back together who shattered both of his ankles after a 30 foot fall. Not only is he an amazing surgeon but his care and compassion with my son and our entire family gave us comfort and hope. We are so lucky to have him in Durango, Colorado.
in Pagosa Springs, CO |
Dr. Lucas is a great surgeon! In less than 6 weeks after Cheilectomy surgery for osteoarthritis of the big toe and a Cartiva implant I am able to do daily 6-8 mile walks.. I'm also back in the saddle on my bike. The current pain is minimal and recovery was relatively quick. I couldn't be more pleased with such a terrific doctor who took the time to answer any and all of my questions and concerns. I would highly recommend Dr. Lucas to anyone looking for relief from osteoarthritis toe pain.
in Durango, CO |
I highly recommend Dr. Lucas. I ruptured my Achilles skiing. After the initial injury a DVT settled in place which delayed diagnosis (and I was stubborn) for almost 4 months. By then, a significant amount of atrophy had set in. Dr. Lucas was very straight up and we set on a plan to get me back on my feet, literally. I am pleased to report that not only were his surgical efforts successful but with PT and training I recently completed my first full Ironman competition at age 64. Thanks Dr. Lucas.
in Durango, CO |
I suffered a trauma accident close to 14 years ago leaving me with neurological damage. I have seen multiple orthopedic surgeons over the years to correct various issues. I accepted a lingering injury, as two surgeries had already been attempted which proved to be unsuccessful. I wasn't just referred to see Dr. Lucas by multiple doctors, but encouraged to do so. I wish I'd had the surgery sooner. Not only are daily activities easier, but also I can mountain bike and hike again pain free.
in Durango, CO |
I went to Dr. Lucas with a painful and disabling foot problem. He took the time to explain my condition and to make sure I understood all of the options and possible outcomes. He did not jump straight into surgical correction, but explored other less invasive ways to help me. Ultimately I did end up needing surgery and Dr. Lucas did a fabulous job. I highly recommend this talented surgeon and I am very pleased with the outcome and the care I received from Dr. Lucas and his staff.
in Pagosa Springs, CO |
Dr. Lucas is an exemplary Ortho Surgeon. He not only made me feel like I was important to him and not just a "number" but he made me feel like I was getting the BEST care available when other doctors wouldn't even touch my case. My case was very complicated and he took the time to get outside opinions and share them with me. In the end, I am healed and back on my feet and I have it all to thank Dr. Lucas. I would recommend him to any one of my friends or family. He is excellent at what he does.
in Durango, CO |
Dr Lucas came highly recommended by my primary care provider and close friend, & I am forever grateful for the fabulous connection. I had a long overdue need to address a bunion & bunionette. He not only made time in his incredibly full schedule to fit me in, but also talked through options, and clearly explained his recommended course of action. He & his staff are remarkably knowledgeable, kind, & reassuring from the first visit through the entire process. Post-surgery results were stunning!
Have you seen Dr. Douglas Lucas, DO?
Are you Dr. Lucas?