Dr. Donald Hope, MD

Dr. Donald Hope, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 63

Dr. Donald Hope, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Fairfax, VA. He is affiliated with medical facilities Reston Hospital Center and Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Hope to book an appointment.

Center for Cranial & Spinal Surgery

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Hope

3.9

23.728813559322035%

Dr. Hope?
I went to Dr. Hope in search of answers for some pretty debilitating neck pain. I had been to a lot of doctors prior, so I was hopeful Dr. Hope would help diagnose my seemingly never ending pain. After a very short visit and after he reviewed my MRI, not only did he tell me that nothing was wrong with me, but when I let out some tears of frustration, he said that “crying won’t help you.” I couldn’t believe his lack of empathy. I took my MRI to a different neurosurgeon at Hopkins and immediately they diagnosed me with a brain malformation. They also ordered a bone scan and found a bony tumor on my C4 vertebrae. Dr. Hope made me feel like a hypochondriac when in actuality I was dealing with two major issues. It was the worst experience I’ve ever had with a healthcare provider.
May 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
I had a herniated disc back in 2006 that required surgery. I saw Dr. Hope when the first Doctor I had an appointment with was indignant and offered only a future of steroids and PR. Dr. Hope performed a laminectomy and I woke up pain free. 4 years later, because I was an idiot, I re-ruptured the same disc. Dr. Hope performed a second laminectomy, and thanks to smarter living, I've been pain free since.
JD – Oct 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
My doctor gave me a referral to see Dr Hope. I called a couple times to make the appointment but the recording always said to leave the information and they would call me back in 2 hours. After something like 3 calls they finally called me back and told me that they would look at my MRI and would decide whether or not I should have an appointment. My doctor's office faxed the MRI. No-one called me so I called back. Again after a few tries they called me to let me know they didn't have the MRI; however, my doctors office had the FAX receipt. So, they FAXed it AGAIN. I have called various times and get the recording stating they will call me back ins 2 hrs, yet no-one has called. I have spent about a month on this and quit trying. I do not want to be seen by a doctor that runs such an irresponsible practice.
Fairfax, VA – May 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
I thank the Good Lord I never got butchered here. Hope is A Hoax. After 30 yrs. You've got a 3.0 rating. Come on Don! Retire and take your sorry behind elsewhwere.
Feb 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Dr. Hope do not deserve any stars. And like one other of his patient said, the first thing he do is interduce himself and tell you to not record. And only take a second, well maybe two to look over your films may touch you ask you to walk. And that’s it!!!!!!!! I don’t understand why he is used for a second opinion. I would not take my dog to him. I know someone who had four back surgeries with him. If he’s that damn good why do they have to keep getting surgeries? Make you say hmmmmm. Idk
Apr 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
One year ago this month I was in extreme pain. I could not walk. After a brief stay in the hospital an MRI revealed that I had a herniated disk pressing on my sciatic nerve. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who recommended extensive back surgery which would have taken 3 hours and months of rehabilitation. I sought a second opinion. Dr. Hope performed a 30 minute laminectomy. Ten days later my staples were removed and I was on the road to a complete recovery! I highly recommend Dr. Hope!
Patricia Mclaughlin – Feb 12, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Introduced himself then told me to not record our visit, which I wasn't anyway. He spent less than a minute looking at my MRI that I brought to his office. His examination was painful. I have seen several spine surgeons other than him and he was beyond horrible. No wonder so many of his patients end up with terrible scars and infections, he is too rushed and has no compassion. Will never let that man touch me afain. There is something evil about him. He made me so uncomfortable. Short visit time
Locust Grove – Jan 01, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
I was struck by a cab while in a crosswalk and suffered a neck injury which involved the C5-C6 verterbrae being embedded into my spinal cord. I ended up going to three different neuro surgeons for opinions and all three, who were excellent, strongly recommended a discectomy. I did substantial research and talked extensively to all three and ended up going with Dr. Hope. It was unquestionably one of the best medical decisions I have ever made. Dr. Hope explained every aspect of the surgery thorou
Jack Johnson in Falls Church, VA – Sep 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
I have seen Dr. Hope on one back issue and two neck issues. He is fantastic as I am now pain free. He is caring and a professional all the way. He takes the time to get to know the patient and earns the trust of family as well as the individual. He listens to what your concerns are and I have referred many of my peers to him. He has saved my career as a law enforcement officer and I trust him with my life.
Linda Cernignlia in Herndon, VA – Sep 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Dr. Hope is wonderful. I came to him with a large herniated L4/L5 disc and after trying conservative treatments, decided on surgery. The surgery was quick and effective and Dr. Hope explained everything clearly, including what would happen during the surgery and my treatment plan afterwards. i would highly recommend him.
Springfield, VA – Aug 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Dr. Hope and his staff were a great group to work with. He diagnosed and treated, surgery, an L4-L5 herniation. I was missing work and loosing strength in my affected leg and foot. Within 2 weeks of diagnosis, insurance had been cleared, surgery scheduled and completed. I was kept informed and all questions answered throughout the entire process. 8 months post op all is well. I spoke with 3 of his previous patients all of whom gave him & his staff glowing reviews. I would highly recommend him.
R.C. in Virginia – Jun 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Awesome experience.. had neck surgery performed by Dr. Hope. 5/12./17 my surgery included cervical fusion of 3- discs. everything went very smooth.. I was back working half days out of my home office 4-Days after the surgery.. just had my 1-month post operative appointment with Dr. Hope.. all is good! will start getting back to normal activities.. Thanks Again to Dr. Hope and his staff and Fair Oaks Hospital.
Mark Pickett in Warrenton, VA – Jun 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
After being seen in the emergency room in January I saw Dr. Hope for follow up. It was determined that I would need ACD with fusion. I had a bulging disc pressing on my spine. Dr. Hope explained everything. He listened and never made me feel rushed. When my husband had questions he took the Tim to meet with him and carefully explain my condition and answer all his questions. I had surgery on April 3, 2017 and I can already notice an improvement. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Hope.
Karen in Gainesville, Va – Apr 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Dr. Hope performed an Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion and every aspect of my experience was better than I expected. Dr. Hope is a consummate professional with excellent bedside manner and unparalleled surgical skills. If you need a neuro-surgeon, I highly recommend Dr. Hope!!! Staffs at both the Reston office and at the Surgical Center in Bethesda were exceptional and contributed to a fabulous experience. Two months later and I could not have anticipated a smoother recovery.
Timothy P. Trant in Manassas, VA – Apr 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Came to Doctor Hope for my back surgery, a microdiscectomy on two herniations. Doctor Hope's approach was thoughtful and conservative, considering surgery as a last resort following 3 months of PT and pain mgmt. He walked me through my MRI results, answered most of my questions before I even asked them. I appreciated that Dr, Hope shared all the facts and didn't pressure me into anything. Getting to surgery is a patient's decision, and it was great to partner with Dr. Hope to resolve my issue.
Reston, VA – Feb 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?
Dr. Hope was great dealing with. He relayed all of the options for me with no pressure to have surgery first.
Brent Wood in Ashburn, VA – Feb 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Donald Hope, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Hope?

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Donald Hope, MD...

Offer an online patient portal?

Have free onsite parking?

Communicate via email?

Offer evening visits?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Dr. Hope accepts

Dr. Hope accepts the following insurance:

Balanced-VA PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Coventry Health Care
Southern Health PPO

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. Hope's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Hope's Top Procedures and Conditions

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
high
high

Dr. Hope treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 88% of his peers

Dr. Hope treats this condition more than 88% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Dr. Hope performs Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities more than 74% of his peers

Dr. Hope performs this procedure more than 74% of his peers

• Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty

George Washington University
1983
George Washington University

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Hope communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Hope offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Hope offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Hope have free onsite parking?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Hope offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Hope offer evening visits?

Please call the office to learn more. (703) 560-1146