Dr. Dilantha Ellegala, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Dr. Dilantha Ellegala, MD
Graduating with honors from the University Of Washington School Of Medicine in Seattle, Dr. Ellegala continued his studies with a neurosurgical residency at the University of Virginia. He spent a year as the Senior Registrar at Auckland Hospital, New Zealand, gaining expertise in Cranial Neurosurgery. He then went on to become a Fellow in Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Tumor Neurosurgery at Harvard's Brigham and Women's Hospital, perfecting the techniques of operating millimeter by millimeter along the fine network of blood vessels that surround the base of the human brain. Dr. Ellegala remained as a clinical instructor at Harvard collaborating with advanced engineering laboratories at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard. With them, he adapted ultrasonic surgical instruments to create the most precise tool available for spine and brain surgery. He continued a distinguished academic career researching and writing articles for prominent peer reviewed medical journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine. Dr. Ellegala's revolutionary advancements thrust him to the forefront of his field. He is widely renowned as the leader in ultrasonic spine surgery. Patients and physicians travel from all over the world to seek his care and guidance.

Dr. Ellegala's Experience

See how Dr. Ellegala's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ellegala

Dr. Ellegala accepts 14 insurance carriers

Dr. Ellegala is now accepting new patients
Virginia Neurospine1019 Vista Park Dr Ste A
Forest, VA 24551
Evening
(434) 200-9009Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Ellegala has admitting privileges.

Dr. Ellegala's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ellegala to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Ellegala's Performance
in Goode, VA |
Virginia Neurospine filed claim with my insurance stating that I had seen Dr Ellegala. An investigator from the insurance company called me and asked me which Dr had seen me. I truthfully stated that I had seen his RN and not Dr Ellegala. The insurance denied the claim and Dr Ellegala sent me a bill. His office staff agreed to investigate. I heard nothing from them for 6 months and then received a letter from a collections agency stating that Dr Ellegala has sent my account to collections
Doylestown, PA |
did not have a successful serguary with this Dr. Have been in pain for months. Waited more than two hours to get medical records. Had 3 weeks to obtain them.I dont know who was at fault the DR. or the nurses or the staff.This Dr spreads him self too thin, meaning he is only his Lynchburg office one day a week
in Madison Heights, VA |
He did two brain surgeries on my daughter and was so good to our family. He explained everything he was going to do and made sure we we're keep informed how things we're going. We hope to have him do my husband back surgery. I would use him again.
Cottonwood, CA |
I was treated very poorly, I was referred to Dr. Ellagala but his staff treated me like nothing was wrong with me and all I needed was PT. I wouldn't refer anyone to his office. The staff didn't care about my pain or offer any real help.
After a terrible experience with this doctor, I would not recommend allowing anyone to be treated by this fellow. I was so upset from my experience with him that I had to find a different doctor. I am so lucky that I was able to find a better doctor. My new doctor was able to suggest a better and cheaper course of treatment. This doctor scared me and my family.
in Chatham, VA |
I had previously left an unflattering review, however, I may have done so in much haste, my apologies. When I had left the previous review, I was very nervous about my upcoming plans for surgery and unbeknownst to me, Dr. Ellegala was moving to a new office and in the move, things were a bit out of sorts. That is now not the case! My apologies again, as now I see that Dr. Ellegala and his entire team he has, treats the patient with the utmost care and compassion. Thank you Dr. Ellegala!
in Forest, VA |
After suffering from ongoing back issues for several years (to include several surgeries, and several rounds of epidurals, nerve blocks, and physical therapy), Dr. Ellegala has been the only Neurosurgeon who helped him. We had gone to several doctors and no one seemed to be able to help nor did they treat the problem at hand. If you are looking for skill and expertise, go to Dr. Ellegala.
in Forest, VA |
After many years of chronic back pain and dealing with the possibility of back surgery for spinal stenosis, I was pleased to learn about this medical practice and Dr. Ellegala. The staff were professional and I felt at ease from my referral phone call to speaking with his PA (Robert) who helped navigate through my MRI results. Dr. Ellegala put me on a treatment plan that day and I was able to immediately get a new MRI, evaluate my condition, and start a new treatment plan going forward.
in Madison Heights Virginia |
Dr Ellegala has an amazing presence that gives all of his patients reassurance that they have chosen the right surgeon. Dr Ellegala takes the time that is necessary to make sure that his patients understand their diagnosis and plan of care. The staff treats each patient with compassion and as an individual.
in Lynchburg, VA |
DR. Ellegala is a brilliant man. I worked at Lynchburg General and saw him first hand pre surgery patients and post surgery patients. Now I am a patient. I trust him. He is a great surgeon and has great bed side manner. However, if you call his office and leave a message or email them I find they don't reply. I understand he is very busy and I am not his only patient but, when your in pain or facing a surgery you would like a answer or a little compassion from the staff.
Thank you for your for your feedback and endorsement, Sherri. I regret your experience at my practice did not meet your expectations. I will certainly address the issues you identified with our staff as we continually work to improve the patient experience at Virginia Neurospine. Our goal is the perfect patient experience and your feedback is helpful. Dr. Dilan Ellegala
Lynchburg, VA |
Dr Ellegala is a brilliant neurosurgeon who approaches each surgery with the best possible results for his patient in mind.
in Forest, VA |
Worst experience ever. There was only 1 pleasant person in the whole office and that was the receptionist. The nurse who assisted me was rude, unprofessional and unhelpful! I went to a lot of trouble to arrange to have all my medical records sent over to them 2 weeks before appointment so Dr. Ellegala could review them and I wouldn't have to rehash the same information I have been to doctors for over 5 years! When I questioned the nurse about the disc she said she'd go look, I know they had it
I'm sorry we were not prepared when you arrived for your appointment. I appreciate your efforts to have your records sent to our office prior to your visit. We are evaluating our processes for receiving health records as well as training our staff to meet our standard of treating each patient with kindness and respect. Dr. Dilan Ellegala
Lynchburg, VA |
He took the time to explain everything to me. There were no question marks when it came time for surgery. The follow up was excellent and he seemed genuinely engaged in the conversation at all times.
in Danville, VA |
I love Dr. Ellegala...I just wish that I could see him more often than is PA.
Have you seen Dr. Dilantha Ellegala, MD?

Compare Dr. Ellegala

Dr. Ellegala says...

Dr. Ellegala's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery

Dr. Ellegala has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ellegala's Board Certifications

• Brainstem Glioma
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Malignant Glioma
  • Medulloblastoma
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

Harvard & Peter Bent Brigham Hosp

Completed in 2005

University of Washington

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Ellegala does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ellegala and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty