Dr. Diane Payne, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery | Female

Emory University School of Medicine 49 Jesse Hill Jr Dr SE # Orthopedicsurgery Atlanta, GA 30303 Get Directions
Dr. Diane Payne, MD
I grew up in small, rural town in Texas, and then went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where I obtained an undergraduate degree in Microbiology. Upon graduation, I decided to pursue physical therapy, and obtained a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy from Emory University. I married my soul mate, and together we moved to Boston, MA, followed by Durham, NC. I worked in the outpatient sports medicine world of physical therapy, and after practicing for several years, made the decision to return to medical school to become an orthopedic surgeon. At that point in my life, I lived in Kansas City, KS, where I attended University of Kansas School of Medicine. After confirming Orthopedic Surgery was my calling, I was able to join the family of residents at Duke University School of Medicine for residency, followed by a fellowship in Hand and Micro-vascular Surgery. From Durham NC, my husband, 2 children, cat and dog moved to Hawaii, where I practiced orthopedic surgery for 3 years. I then made the difficult decision to leave Hawaii to return to academic practice, and joined Emory University Department of Orthopedic Surgery as an Assistant Professor. I spend the majority of my time managing upper extremity trauma at Grady Memorial Hospital, where I am the Director of Hand Trauma. I am very interested in providing and improving resident education. I am also very interested in the public health epidemic of gun violence, prompting me to begin the Grady PIVOT program: Program to Interrupt Violence thru Outreach and Treatment - a collaborative effort between Grady Health System, the Atlanta Police Department and the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council, Atlanta GA. I am very active in many national organizations, and currently am a member of the Young Leaders Group, as well as the Resident Education Committee for the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. I also sit on the ethics committee for Grady Memorial Hospital, and well as for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

Dr. Payne's Care Philosophy

During my first career as a therapist, and now my second career as an orthopedic surgeon, I have found opportunity to truly make a difference in people's lives. Whether treating victims of mangling trauma at Grady or treating minor sprains, strains or arthritis, I feel a sense of accountability to my patients, to help them work thru their injury. This has become as a sense of purpose for me, which drives me to do the best job I can - to try to help turn the tide what can be a life-changing injury or event for a patient, into an experience of empowerment to persevere and recover. I am constantly awestruck by the power of patients to recover, and often try to work with patients to find the "glass half full", even thru devastating injury. I feel extremely lucky to to be an orthopedic surgeon, and feel like I have the best job in the world - we have the ability to help patients heal, return to function and return to their lives, which is an incredibly gratifying gift.

Dr. Payne's Experience

See how Dr. Payne's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Payne

Dr. Payne accepts 7 insurance carriers

Dr. Payne is now accepting new patients
Emory University School of Medicine49 Jesse Hill Jr Dr SE # Orthopedicsurgery
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 778-1550Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Payne has admitting privileges.

Dr. Payne's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Payne to family and friends
based on 2 total reviews
Dr. Payne's Performance
Have you seen Dr. Diane Payne, MD?
Are you Dr. Payne?

Compare Dr. Payne

Dr. Payne says...

I grew up in small, rural town in Texas, and then went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where I obtained an undergraduate degree in Microbiology.  Upon graduation, I decided to pursue physical therapy, and obtained a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy from Emory University.  I married my soul mate, and together we moved to Boston, MA, followed by Durham, NC.   I worked in the outpatient sports medicine world of physical therapy, and after practicing for several years, made the decision to return to medical school to become an orthopedic surgeon.  At that point in my life, I lived in Kansas City, KS, where I attended University of Kansas School of Medicine.  After confirming Orthopedic Surgery was my calling, I was able to join the family of residents at Duke University School of Medicine for residency, followed by a fellowship in Hand and Micro-vascular Surgery.  From Durham NC, my husband, 2 children, cat and dog moved to Hawaii, where I practiced orthopedic surgery for 3 years.  I then made the difficult decision to leave Hawaii to return to academic practice, and joined Emory University Department of Orthopedic Surgery as an Assistant Professor.  I spend the majority of my time managing upper extremity trauma at Grady Memorial Hospital, where I am the Director of Hand Trauma.  I am very interested in providing and improving resident education.  I am also very interested in the public health epidemic of gun violence, prompting me to begin the Grady PIVOT program:  Program to Interrupt Violence thru Outreach and Treatment - a collaborative effort between Grady Health System, the Atlanta Police Department and the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council, Atlanta GA.  I am very active in many national organizations, and currently am a member of the Young Leaders Group, as well as the Resident Education Committee for the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.  I also sit on the ethics committee for Grady Memorial Hospital, and well as for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.

Dr. Payne's Care Philosophy

During my first career as a therapist, and now my second career as an orthopedic surgeon, I have found opportunity to truly make a difference in people's lives.  Whether treating victims of mangling trauma at Grady or treating minor sprains, strains or arthritis, I feel a sense of accountability to my patients, to help them work thru their injury.  This has become as a sense of purpose for me, which drives me to do the best job I can  - to try to help turn the tide what can be a life-changing injury or event for a patient, into an experience of empowerment to persevere and recover.   I am constantly awestruck by the power of patients to recover, and often try to work with patients to find the "glass half full", even thru devastating injury.  I feel extremely lucky to to be an orthopedic surgeon, and feel like I have the best job in the world - we have the ability to help patients heal, return to function and return to their lives, which is an incredibly gratifying gift.

Dr. Payne says...

Dr. Payne is a fellowship trained hand and micro-vascular surgeon, specializing in upper extremity traumatic injuries. She is currently the Director of Hand Trauma at Grady Memorial Hospital, where she manages the breadth of injuries from arthritis to minor wounds to mangled extremities.  As a previous physical therapist, Dr. Payne has the unique perspective and expertise to understand the postoperative rehabilitation required to obtain a functional recovery from a potentially devastating injury, and she works very diligently to facilitate and support the therapist and patient thru the rehabilitation process to achieve a successful outcome.

Dr. Payne's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Payne has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Payne's Board Certifications

• Broken Arm
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

Duke University

Completed in 2010

Miami University

Graduated in 1992

Dr. Payne does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Payne and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery