Dr. Desirae McKee, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery | Female

Dr. Desirae McKee, MD

I am a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and I adhere to the Ethical guidelines published by the American Medical Society. I care deeply for my patients and their families and I will make your satisfaction my #1 priority. I have been part of the Lubbock Community for the past 8 years with Texas Tech University Department of Orthopedics. I perform my operations at University Medical Center. I became a doctor to save lives. I developed an interest in hand and arm surgery while training to be a surgeon in Phoenix. I spent 5 years becoming a general surgeon and an additional year training just in hands and arms in Charlottesville Virginia. I spent two years in private practice before joining the Texas Tech Family. I have spent the last 10 years specializing in hand and arm surgery. I am a firm believer that practice makes perfect and I make a point to learn something new everyday in an effort to provide stellar care for my patients. I take care of newborns to children, to adults, to geriatric patients. I have been recognized by UMC with the "All Star" award twice and with the "Safe Surgeon" award once. I have been recognized by Texas Tech Department of Orthopedics as an "Unsung Hero" for my contributions to my patients and the orthopedic department I am very active in my specialty society and I go to yearly meetings to make sure that I am giving my patients the best care possible. I am a consultant reviewer for the Journal of Hand Surgery and review articles on a routine basis. I teach medical students and Doctors in training on a daily basis to help guide the careers and talents of the future surgeons of America. I am proud to help take care of injured children and I have taken care of more than one child featured by the UMC Childrens Miracle Network. I live and work in Lubbock and my 3 children are part of the Lubbock Community as well.

...See Less

Dr. McKee's Care Philosophy

The best compliment that I can receive is the referral of your friend and family! I strive to give excellent care at all times. My team and I specialize in treating hand and arm disorders. Our goal is to treat your problem with care and compassion and provide up to date surgical options and recommendations. My job is to listen to you, diagnose your problem, and then fix that problem to the best of my ability. Not all patients need surgery but all patients NEED a knowledgeable and experienced hand specialist to help them get better whether it is with therapy, injections, splints, or surgery.

Dr. McKee's Experience

See how Dr. McKee's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McKee

Dr. McKee accepts 16 insurance carriers

Dr. McKee is now accepting new patients
    Texas Tech Orthopaedics3601 4TH ST
    Lubbock, TX 79430
    (806) 743-4600Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McKee has admitting privileges.

Dr. McKee's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McKee to family and friends
    Dr. McKee Says:

I welcome your reviews!  Please rate me and write a comment to help other patients know about your care experience with me.

I strive to get 5/5 stars.  If you don't give me 5 stars please let me or my staff know how we can make your experience a better one.

Dr. McKee's Performance
    in Concordia, KS |
    Dr. McKee, is so impressive, intelligent, and precise. She examines, listens, and advises, all the while devising her plan to make you well again. My hand was in really bad shape. My surgery was in February, now it is July, and I am back full strength. She surgically repaired 3 trigger fingers, metacarpal syndrome, and reconstruction of my thumb. I never thought it would be so strong again. What is awesome about this doctor is her confidence and style; she delivers and she cares! Wonderful!
    Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. Mckee is a phenomenal orthopedic hand surgeon. She is well versed and takes time to explain to you what she will be doing when operating. My right hand is so much better after she completed the carpel tunnel release. Ready to have the left hand done. I highly recommend Dr. Mckee for all your hand needs.
    in lubbock, tx |
    I am always impressed with Dr. McKee's availability and genuine expertise. As a referring PCP, she has always done a great job with my patients, who always come back singing her praises. Today, as the father of a son who decided to break his thumb, she not only was "another doctor", but she was "our doctor." She made my son feel comfortable and at ease through the use of humor and talking to him on his level. She was aware of it being Summer-time, and even provided a waterproof cast. A+ care!
    in Lovington, NM |
    Very encouraging and flexible with my needs and desires. She was willing to work with me and listen attentively at every turn, while being willing to be blunt where needed in the options for my case.
    Hobbs, New Mexico |
    Dr. McKee is an excellent surgeon. She inspires confidence. She explains things. I was very pleased with her and would strongly recommend her as a hand surgeon.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    I was injured in an Car accident on my Right hand and Right index finger. She took such good care of me. Fixed my Wrist and Index finger. I had a lot of problem's with Scar Tissue and she did a great job making sure It was taking care of. Thank you
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee is an excellent orthopaedic surgeon. I trust her knowledge and skill implicitly, and would gladly refer any friends and family to her if they express their need for a hand surgeon.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee has been great to me and my family. I was severely burned about two years ago and she has been with me through nearly all of this ordeal. Very patient, friendly and an all around great surgeon. I can't say enough good things!
    in Lubbock, TX |
    I was referred to Dr. McKee for trigger finger in right hand and numbness in two fingers of left hand. Dr. McKee performed A1 Trigger Release on all five digits of right hand in July and I have no more pain. She performed Cubital tunnel release (mini) on left elbow in November and am back at the gym working out and symptoms are improving.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    I cannot say enough good things about Dr. McKee. She takes the time to explain in a way that a person who is not in the medical field will understand, she made me feel as if she definitely had my best interests in mind, and I believe she is an excellent surgeon. Thanks to Dr. McKee, I have the use of my hand much sooner than I expected. This was the second surgery Dr. McKee performed for me, and both times, I've been thankful for her skills and her bedside manner.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr McKee took such great care of my daughter. I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone. You know it is a mothers highest praise when she says she would allow a surgeon to operate on her child. I wouldn't think twice, DR. McKee is wonderful! She was also careful to explain things to my daughter to gain her trust. It meant so much to me that she took time to make sure I understood but also cared that my little girl knew what to expect. I felt like she had all the time in the world!
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee is very sweet. She didn't make me feel like my injury was insignificant, and she explained things very well and offered me options for treatment.
    in Lubbock |
    Dr McKee was very kind and knowledgeable when I had my surgery
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee is an excellent hand surgeon!!! She is professional and has an excellent bedside manner. I would highly recommend her for care of your hand care needs.
    in Winters, TX |
    Our grandson Kyler Cook , has had two operations by Dr. McKee in the last six months, this lady is the best hand surgeon I have ever met, and since I had my hand operated on by another Dr. fifteen years ago, I know the difference between a good surgeon and a GREAT SURGEON !
    in Clovis, NM |
    Had my 4th visit with Dr. McKee and each time I've been more and more impressed. She quickly diagnosed my problem, explain how she arrived at the diagnosis, and told me what my options were. All of my questions and concerns were answered. If anyone out there wants to see the BEST hand and upper extremity specialist in the WORLD, Dr. McKee will be your choice! Thank you, Dr. McKee, for your magnificent care!
    in Lubbock, TX |
    As a registered nurse for over 30 years, I was selective in choosing a surgeon to operate on my elbow. I was pleased with Dr. McKee's professional approach, bedside manner and after care. I recommend her for anyone needing hand or arm surgery.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. Mckee is a wonderful doctor/surgeon and I would refer my family and friends to her any day. Before she performed my wrist surgery, she gave me several options that I could do to help strengthen my wrist. She has a very calm demeanor and her patients care is very high priority. I wish I could give her 10 stars for the miracle she worked on my wrist.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    My medical visits with Dr. McKee were exemplary and very commendable. This physician is of superior quality, to include her charming personality and bearing. Dr. McKee's staff is as fine as I have ever seen and her "Assistant," Kevin, is likewise proficient and a tremendous asset to her entire staff. From our first session through my wrist surgery to Dr. McKee's explanations in the Recovery Room, to our office visits, my wife and I could not be more pleased. My sincere thanks are to all involved
    Lubbock, TX |
    Excellent in office procedure, minimal pain
    in Lubbock tx |
    She was complete in her evaluation of my hand problem, as well as efficient. And she solved my carpal tunnel problem!
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Great Dr. I felt I was in good hands while in her care. Very kind and personable. I highly recommend Dr McKee.
    in Clovis NM |
    Very caring and a true professional. Promptly fixed my hand issues. No more pain or numbness in my hands. Staff is always courteous and genuine with their care and concerns for the patients. Best hand doctor in TX. Highly recommended. Don't worry about the waiting time for your appointment, she's such a professional, she gives quality time to all her patients.
    in Clovis NM |
    Compassionate, professional, and knows what to do to help the patient. Be prepared for a wait, yet worth it because of her knowledge and experience. Courteous and helpful staff.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee makes you feel at ease with her care and attitude, She takes the time to explain the procedure before starting.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    I am 58. needed a good doctor, and I found GREAT doctor ! she listened, looked, and explained everything. she was very gentle in her manner, very patient. took great care to help me be good as new. there is not enough stars here to give her.
    in Big Spring, TX |
    At my initial appointment w/Dr. McKee she went over my medical record and at the end of the visit stated "It may take some time, but we're going to put you back together." That is exactly what she has done -and continues to do- and I trust her expertise completely. She explains what physically is wrong or damaged and what can be done to correct the issue or alleviate pain, and step by step she has medically accomplished what she stated she would; I'm confident that will continue in the future.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    DrMcKee is a kind compasionate physician. She took care of my husband after a motorcycle accident and he has recovered with minimal residual complaints. As he saw him quickly after his accident and he was taken to surgery to help prevent permanent damage. I have also witnessed the caregiver to burn patients, gun shot wounds and carpal tunnel releases. I would not hesitate to recommend her or request her to be my physician in a heartbeat.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    By all measures, objective and subjective, Dr. McKee is exemplary. In addition to being extremely knowledgeable and talented, she is also conversational, patient and compassionate. The practice of medicine may indeed be a science, but Dr. McKee demonstrates an unparalleled level of personal care and concern that is more aptly described as an art. Stated more directly, Dr. McKee is that perfect blend of competence and compassion that every patient hopes for. She is simply the best.
    in Lubbock, Texas |
    A very good surgeon. Friendly. Takes time explaining procedure. Nswers all questions.
    in Pasadena, CA |
    Superb surgeon. Trained by the best she is innovative, creative, meticulous and her follow up is like having your mother attending you. I cannot give this physician enough stars.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr. McKee is very experienced, knowledgeable, and a caring doctor. She explains everything in a way that is easy to understand.
    in San Angelo, Tx |
    Best hand surgeon in texas!
    in Abilene tx. |
    I wouldn't trust my hands to anyone else. I recommend to everyone everywhere with hand problems to take the time to go visit Dr McKee you will not be disappointed.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    She has been my physician for several years and is always welcoming, thorough and certain I understand exactly what I need to know before making a major decision about surgery. My wait time is very short and her staff is also courteous and helpful.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Great surgeon who really cares about her patients. I am a physician and chose her to work on my wrist. I'm very happy with results. If you follow her directions, things go well.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    As a retired nurse in the field for 27 years, I'm always watching to make sure everything is done correctly & according to protocol. Dr McKee very much surpassed any doubts I may have had. Her bedside manner is perfect, her knowledge & skill is impeccable. She is, in my opinion, an excellent surgeon with a God given talent. Her staff is friendly & the office is like a caring family.
    in Abernathy, Texas |
    Dr McKee was more concerned about me being OK, than any other Doctor i have ever visited. She took the time to explain everything and made sure i understood. She is a very caring Doctor and i would recommend her to anyone seeking a great Doctor.
    in Lubbock, Tx |
    Wonderful doctor, kind and professional.
    in Lubbock, TX |
    Dr Mckee is very easy to talk to and listened to my needs. I will not go anywhere else!
    in Lubbock, TX |
    I had a very wonderful experience . she was very pleasant and caring to my needs. I lovced the clinic and staff. It was very time efficient. I would reccommend dr. mckee to other orthopaedic surgeries. She will always be my number one choice.
    in Lamesa, TX |
    Dr. McKee is a gift to our area-she is an unbelievably talented surgeon! She listens and explains all options and will honestly answer any and all questions you ask without rushing you. Her surgical skills are exceptional - if you need hand surgery she is the only doctor I would even consider or recommend to family or friends. She is a top-notch caring doctor! With Dr. McKee you are in "good hands" (no pun intended!) Her staff is excellent also.
    in LUBBOCK |
    Dr. McKee performed my carpal tunnel release surgery. I cannot express how pleased I have been with this surgeon. She was informant and answered all of my questions. Everything with the surgery was excellent. Her team was like we'll oiled machine from the moment I checked in for surgery, until the moment I walked out, everything went as smooth as silk. Don't question the decision to use this Dr. She is the best!
    Have you seen Dr. Desirae McKee, MD?
    Are you Dr. McKee?

Dr. McKee says...

I have been part of the Lubbock Community for the past 8 years with Texas Tech University Department of Orthopedics.  I perform my operations at University Medical Center.

I became a doctor to save lives.  I developed an interest in hand and arm surgery while training to be a surgeon in Phoenix.  I spent 5 years becoming a general surgeon and an additional year training just in hands and arms in Charlottesville Virginia.

I spent two years in private practice before joining the Texas Tech Family.

I have spent the last 10 years specializing in hand and arm surgery.  I am a firm believer that practice makes perfect and I make a point to learn something new everyday in an effort to provide stellar care for my patients.

I take care of newborns to children, to adults, to geriatric patients.

Dr. McKee's Care Philosophy

I strive to give excellent care at all times.  My team and I specialize in treating hand and arm disorders.  Our goal is to treat your problem with care and compassion and provide up to date surgical options and recommendations.

My job is to listen to you, diagnose your problem, and then fix that problem to the best of my ability.  Not all patients need surgery but all patients NEED a knowledgeable and experienced hand specialist to help them get better whether it is with therapy, injections, splints, or surgery.

Dr. McKee says...

I treat multiple conditions of the fingers, hand, wrist and arm.

This includes common issues such as arthritis, trigger fingers, cysts, lumps and bumps, carpal tunnel, broken bones, and cut tendons.

I also treat a large amount of trauma and burn patients who become my patients unexpectedly.

I treat any age patient

Dr. McKee says...

I am unique because 95% of what I do is focused on the fingers, hand, wrist and arm.

I am board certified both in surgery and I hold an additional certificate of qualification in hand and arm surgery after spending an entire year training only in hand and arm surgery.

Practice makes perfect and I have now been in practice for 10 years and I have been a Physician since 2001.

I take xrays for you in the exam room so you don't have to go to a different department to get your xrays.

If you need a procedure my office will obtain your insurance authorization and try to make the process as smooth as possible.

Dr. McKee says...

Please be patient if we are running behind.  As a specialist there are only a limited number of Surgeons in this town who can take care of some of the problems that we treat.  In addition I treat a large number of unexpected injuries including burn and trauma patients.  This can sometimes affect the amount of time you may have to wait in my office during your appointment. We offer water, coffee, juice and snacks while you wait.  We are a child friendly office and you are welcome to bring your family to your appointment.

Dr. McKee's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
    •  Board certified in General Surgery and Hand Surgery

Dr. McKee has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. McKee's Board Certifications

• Dupuytren's Contracture
    • Finger Disorders
    • Finger Injuries
    • Finger Joint Sprain
    • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
    • Hand Fracture

Maricopa Co Med Ctr

Completed in 2001

Maricopa Co Med Ctr

Completed in 2006

University Of Virginia Department Of Orthopedics and Plastic Surgery Fellowship In Hand and Microvascular Surgery
      Moorhead University

Graduated in 1991

Dr. McKee does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McKee and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery