Dr. Derek D. Muse, MD

Dr. Derek D. Muse, MD

Family Medicine | Male | 59 years old

Being a family doctor is more enjoyable every year that I am in practice, and that is primarily because of the wonderful patients that I rub shoulders with in my practice. I enjoy hearing about my patient's successes in their personal lives and I grieve with them for their losses. I take seriously my role as an adviser to my patients as they decide what is best for their health care. I study long hours to stay up to date on the latest treatments and guidelines, so that I can teach my patients about their diseases and the options that they have to chose from in treating their diseases. I listen carefully to my patients.Read more

Personal Bio

I became a doctor because I love people and I love the fascinating science of the human body. Read more

Dr. Muse's Experience

See how Dr. Muse's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Muse

Dr. Muse accepts 20 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Muse has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Muse
Dr. Muse's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (40)
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Very satisfied and pleased with Dr. Muse. He is the kindest truly sincere doctor I have met. I've been seeing him for 10+ years and have no complaints. He stays current with latest medical research. I highly recommend Dr. Muse for anyone .
in Midvale, UT |
I have been going to Dr. Muse for the last two years for Chronic pain management. It took me six years to find the right doctor and I am so grateful that I finally found Dr. Muse! Dr. Muse put me on a great medication that has changed my life! The staff at the Highland Family Practice is extremely put together and compassionate about quality care for their patients!
in Sandy, Ut |
He is genuine and cares about his patients. He will not get you in and push you out just so he can get a check. he knows me, my family and most importantly remembers my history.HIGHLY RECOMMEND
in Slc utah |
Dr Muse is a very helpful confident doctor who always goes above and beyond to help me and my family.
Salt Lake City, UT |
Derek Muse has been our family doctor for over 30 years. We have always found him to be extremely helpful and professional with our medical needs. We know we can depend on him to give us the care we need.
in South Jordan, UT |
Very knowledgeable, thoughtful, very much cares about you as a person not just a patient, and professional. I worked with Dr. Muse at the hospital and always appreciated his sense of humor, love of practicing medicine, & true caring of his patients. I chose Dr. Muse for my personal PCP physician for all his great qualities as a doctor & human being.
in Salt Lake |
Dr Muse performs my annual physical each year. He is very thorough and gives me the latest research on specific topics he sees as pertinent to my health. His office is very helpful and responsive. I would highly recommend Dr Muse.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
I have been a patient since the early '90s. I have referred countless people to his practice. I have had to change when he wasn't on my work insurance, but I move back ASAP. I have not found any other doctor who takes the time I need and works with me as a person. The exchange for the time he spends with me, I may have to wait a little longer from time to time, but that just tells me he LISTENS to everyone. He doesn't rush because of the clock. I want that for me, so I need to understand.
in Alpine, UT |
Dr. Muse has both a great bedside manner and he keeps up with the latest medical knowledge. When I have questions about treatment, he is able to answer them to my satisfaction. Dr. Muse treats his patients with respect. He is humble, yet VERY knowledgeable. He is the kind of doctor I look for because he always seems to be up on the latest studies.
Always helped me out
in Draper, UT |
Dr. Muse has been my provider for over 25 years and has treated me for more medical issues than I'd like to count. As just one example, he has correctly caught and diagnosed 3 separate occurrences of skin cancer that I didn't even notice. He is the most intelligent and knowledgeable general practitioner I've ever encountered.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Dr. Muse has been my family physician for the past 20 years. He is an outstanding family doctor and has always treated me with respect using a highly professional manner. He is thorough in his examinations and makes sure that he discusses all aspects of the diagnoses so that you leave with a clear understanding of what is needed. For specialty care he recommends only doctors who he knows will meet his high level medical care. Best of all he continuously keeps his medical knowledge current.
in Sandy, UT |
I met Dr. Muse when I moved to Utah 26 years ago and needed to find a family practitioner. He's very professional, yet approachable. He's assisted me through a variety of chronic conditions, always carefully listening to my needs. Dr. Muse has that balance of conservative/progressive. He is very well read, and shares any new research or information relevant to my care since my last visit. Since we are close in age, I dread the day he retires and I have to search for a new family doctor.
in Provo, UT |
Dr. Muse has been a real blessing. He helped me understand my anxiety better and helped me treat it. He is very kind and when I meet with him he always exceeds my expectations.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
In 1996 Dr. Muse became my Primary Care Physician. He has always been thorough, clear in his instructions, always being patient in listening to medical issues. I've never felt his need to rush through a medical visit. His kind and caring disposition has given me confidence in his care to practice what he is trained to do. Janet Todd
in SLC, Utah |
After 7 years of battling chronic pain, mixed with periods of drug abuse, someone recommended I see Dr. Muse. I have been seeing Dr. Muse for 3 years now and I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made. Dr. Muse was the first physician that I felt saw understood were I was at and how I was struggling. He provided progressive care that resulted in complete management of my pain and my tendencies towards abuse. He is the first physician that I have trusted completely.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Easy to make appointments. Also does weight loss treatments, suboxone treatment (GREAT DOCTOR FOR THIS), ADHD and psychological help, runs high level blood tests, spent extra time with me, has good health advice, etc. I know a lot of people look for doctors to help them on the internet. THIS is THE review you were looking for. GO TO THIS DOCTOR.
Salt Lake City, UT |
Dr. Muse is a great doctor. Always takes the time you need to help you out. Knowledgeable. Also works hard to help get at the root of problems to make sure you're healthy. Trust this doctor. He will take good care of you.
Would recommend
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Awesome doctor! Wait times a bit long sometimes but worth the wait. Trust Dr. Muse 100%
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Great doctor! Spends more time with patients, helps get to the root of your problems, ALSO a great doctor for Suboxone therapy and drug addiction. All around great guy, would highly recommend!!!
in Murray, UT |
I have been going to Dr. Muse for over twenty years, Dr Muse is always aware of what we have discussed in the past, and is extremely diligent in researching new methods of treatment that may improve the health and welfare of his patients. It is good to have a family physician that is kind, caring and concerned about any health questions or needs I may have.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Dr. Muse is a great doctor! Go see him, he'll make sure you're taken care of. Did a ton of bloodwork for me to solve some complex health problems. Great guy. Friendly, helpful, works hard. Takes some extra time to see you from the waiting room, but I figure that's because he takes extra time with his patients to help them out like he did with me to discuss things. Refreshing to meet a doctor that actually takes the time to help and CARES.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Dr. Muse seems to actually care about his patients. Spent a ton of extra time helping me with a whole bunch of problems I was having. I don't know what this other review person who marked him badly was on. Ya, u wait a bit longer but that's because he CARES n spends time 2 help u. He will help u with whatever problems u have and do a great job at it too. ALso very friendly. Would really recommend 2 others. I actually do recommend him to others when they ask for a good doctor.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
Dr. Muse is ONE OF THE BEST doctors. Let me tell you why: Unlike other doctors, Dr. Muse actually CARES about you. I know some of the other ratings on here complain about how it can take an extra 10 minutes or so to be seen on some days, but that is because Dr. Muse is SPENDING TIME trying to help his patients instead of going through the revolving-door motions like other doctors do. Dr. Muse actually cares, actually wants to help, and has personally saved my life in several different ways.
in SLC, Utah |
Dr. Muse is known to be late. His staff knows it, and he doesn't care at all. I've never waited less than 30 minutes to see the actual doctor, and have frequently waited more than an hour. This is a clear sign the good doctor has little respect for his patients or their valuable time, even though he works FOR THEM. There are other qualified doctors who are punctual with their patients and equally knowledgble , but if you don't mind having your day's schedule messed up, he's fine otherwise.
Have you seen Dr. Derek D. Muse, MD?
Are you Dr. Muse?

Dr. Muse says...

Dr. Muse's Care Philosophy

Dr. Muse says...

In addition to the wide variety of diseases that I treat as a Family Doctor, I specialize in the treatment of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity in adults, teens and children, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and chronic pain.

I am also certified to prescribe Suboxone for drug addiction, to perform aviation physicals as a Senior Aviation Medical Examiner, to perform DOT physicals and to conduct clinical research.

Dr. Muse's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Family Medicine
  •  Board certified in Family Practice
  •  Malpractice claims in Utah not available

Dr. Muse has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Utah.

Why It Matters: Dr. Muse's Board Certifications

• Infectious Diseases
  • Injuries
  • Menopause
  • Pneumonia
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

U Of Tx Southwestern Med Sch At Dallas

Graduated in 1986

Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center

Completed in 1987

Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center

Completed in 1989

Brigham Young University

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Muse does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Muse and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Obesity Medicine

• Joint Injection
  • Mole Removal
  • Pap Smear

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.