Dr. Derek Richardson, MD

Child & Adolescent PsychiatryMaleAge 47

Dr. Richardson

Kaiser Permanente Crescent Centre Medical Center

200 Crescent Center Pkwy Tucker, GA 30084

Dr. Derek Richardson, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Tucker, GA and has over 20 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine medical school in 2001. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Richardson to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

No malpractice claims found for Georgia

Check Dr. Richardson's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Richardson's Top Procedures and Conditions

Psychosis Due to Mental Illness

Dr. Richardson treats Psychosis Due to Mental Illness more than 35% of his peers

Dr. Richardson treats this condition more than 35% of his peers

Dr. Richardson treats this condition more than 22% of his peers

Dr. Richardson's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Autism
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Combination Drug Dependence
  • Conduct Disorder
  • Delusional Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence
  • Group Psychotherapy
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Nondependent Antidepressant Abuse
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Richardson

1.3

Dr. Richardson?
  • Wait times (8)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (3)
  • Listened & answered questions (3)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (18)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (18)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (18)
Saw him for 4-5 months and that was enough. This was my first time seeing a psychiatrist, so I didnt know what to expect. He gave me antidepressants that I later told him made me not better or worse but "different" in a bad way. In that time, he quadrupled my dosage when I kept telling him it wasn't working (got a DNA test later that year that confirmed those pills were doing more harm than good). His demeanor can be described as "I'd rather be anywhere else than here." He barely seems like he's listening when you're talking. Since taking those meds almost two years ago, I'm still feeling the effects of it. To be fair, Kaiser Permanentes' behavioral in general is garbage, but at least some of them pretend to care about you.
Dec 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I've been seeing Dr. Richardson for a year now and it was honestly the best decision I'd ever made. He made me feel very comfortable and allowed me to ask questions. I am so happy to have found a treatment that works for my anxiety/depression. THANK YOU DR. RICHARDSON!!
Aug 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
All of the reviews describing a condescending, uninterested and unfriendly experience are accurate. After answering the first two questions, he stopped and asked me in a technically “politically correct” way to share less. I adjusted my answers to suit him, which was to give and a number on a scale of 1-10. He seemed irritated the whole time and the biggest input I got from him was when he corrected me with the generic “I hear what you are saying,” but let me tell you how you’re wrong. His body language was so easy to read and made me feel unimportant and anxious, the very things I was going to see him for! I felt worse after the session, and the narrative in my head told me that it must be my fault, that there was something wrong with me... So I check online to see how long he has worked with Kaiser, and it turns out, he makes everyone feel this way! I will be seeking to review him within Kaiser’s internal system and would suggest anyone with a similar experience to do the same.
Tucker, GA – Aug 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
In my opinion, he misdiagnoses, takes patients off medications without scheduling enough subsequent appointments to see if the patient turned psychotic due to his decision to stop the medication. As a consequence people's lives are destroyed.
anonymous – May 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I agree with the other negative reviews for this doctor. I now had two sessions with him and both experiences left me feeling worse than when I arrived for my appointment. He gives off a condescending vibe and gives the impression he’s ready for your time to be up. His phone went off twice while I was with him and he constantly yawned while asking me questions. I did not feel like I could open up to him and regretted when I did due to his judgmental expressions. He disregarded some of what I was feeling and made it seem he knew better than me what I was personally going through. I will not be going to him anymore even if I have to wait months for another doctor to be available.
Jul 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
Dr. Richardson seems unwilling to consider new symptoms or information. Once a diagnosis is in the chart, it sticks. He is condescending and egotistical. My child revealed that she would not be comfortable telling him if she was having a mental health crisis. After 17 months, we are done with him and looking for a new practitioner with an ego that will not interfere with treatment.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
MamaBear in Stone Mountain , GA – Jun 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I have been going to Dr. Richardson for over a year and he has helped me tremendously. I appreciate his straight forward approach. It makes it easier for me to trust him knowing that he won't just tell me what I want to hear. His approach makes me feel more accountable for my actions. He's also been able to help me think more about identifying my emotions and where they come from.
Shericedeanna in Decatur – Oct 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
He is robotic, unkind, inconsiderate, and rude. He neither empathizes nor sympathizes. When I told him that I drank up to two small cups of coffee a day because I had a newborn baby, he looked at me like I had just told him that I snorted an entire eightball of cocaine prior to my appointment. He is patronizing and condescending and treated me like I was seeking drugs. Visiting him was a waste of my time. Would give negative stars if I could.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
A in Tucker, GA – Sep 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I was scheduled by my previous doctor with him for a refill on my Rx of 3 years and check-up on a new Rx I was trying for anxiety. He scoffed when I struggled to explain a previous doctor's diagnosis. His decision (according to him) to not refill the old Rx was made after listing each illicit drug, asking if, when , how often, etc., then having me choose which drugs I would prefer over the other. When I asked about new Rx & possible alternatives, I was handed a list of drugs I could google.
Atlanta, Ga. – May 04, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
Other reviews are accurate.Don't waste your time and any emotional stability seeing the man.He should not being interacting with patients.
Atlanta metro area – Nov 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
My worst medical experience ever. I was there for my son. He made me feel as though I was the worst parent in the world and that I was doing something illegal with my son's medication because I couldn't recall a 2 week trial that we had tried at one point, mind you my child has had to try several different medications. When we left my son was in tears and apologized for getting me in trouble. I reassured him that it was not him and that it was just this dr. Do not expose your children to him.
Sep 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
Stay away from this psychiatrist at all costs. He is rude, insensitive, incompetent and quite frankly completely uneducated with respect to mental disorders.
Decatur, GA – Aug 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
Read other reviews - so true. Every word. "pill robot" was the final verdict. He's rude and so flat in affect that he makes the whole thing worse. Accusatory - also true. Find someone else to help you. Kept giving him chances - wrong choice. It got to the point that it's possibly not even the right medication, because of so little trust. There's a reason why he has appointments available. Zero stars not an option so I had to give one. Why no training in manners? How could this happen?
a mom in Atlanta, GA – Sep 01, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
Worst experience with a Medical Professional EVER!!! He made me feel embarrassed & ashamed. He was condescending & accusatory. He was so robotic & unsympathetic,even after he could see that he had visibly upset me. I was so upset that I had a panic attack in his office & he was unconcerned. I came out worse than when I went in. I cant imagine how someone in a worse emotional/mental state than I would have dealt with him. It is sad that someone that is supposed to help would treat people this way
Kurbella in Lawrenceville, GA – Jul 08, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I gave one star but if I could have given no stars I would have. The worst doctor I've been to anywhere. RUN, do not walk away from his man. He has no empathy, disregards any successful treatment or help you got that wasn't from him, doesn't pay attention to what you . say. He locked me in the room when he left for a sec. WHAT THE? I was there because of stress at school & divorce and he LOCKS ME IN A ROOM? I read other online reviews of him since & I urge you to read them and then RUN
Bill in Decatur, GA – Dec 22, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
I honestly did not know that someone who was this poor a doctor would be allowed to keep treating patients. How can that be that the medical board is still letting him practice? I will not go back to him. NO WAY. I had an awful experience and am now seeking a doctor who knows what they are doing and who is interested in helping and working with me to regain my health. This doctor doesn't care. It's reflected in how rude he is and how shoddy his work is.
J Dominica in Decatur, GA – Dec 21, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
This doc = scary. I had such a bad experience with him it's frightening me away from going to Kaiser for any health issues. I have depression/ some PTSD due to being a vet. He treated me like a criminal. He was quiet but mean spirited and he almost caused me to have a panic attack when he said all of the other KP docs I saw were wrong (all were really nice and helped me and my situation over the last 2 ys). He wanted me to take HUGE amt of a antidepressant I was having side effects from.
Jennifer in Decatur, GA – Dec 17, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?
VERY weird, egotistical doctor. He talked at me, not to me. He was disrespectful and unkind. He didn't listen to my symptoms and didn't care about past treatment or what other doctors recommended. He didn't help me...in fact, he hurt my mental health situation. He basically just said he wouldn't treat me. It was so odd and he was so, I guess strange is the only word I can use. Do not recommend him in any way. If you are in real trouble and need mental health help, please do not go to him.
TC Jaramillo in Decatur, GA – Dec 17, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Derek Richardson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Richardson?

Health care leader whose mission is to keep you healthy. Under-one-roof convenience, 24-hour advice nurse, and online access to manage your health - anytime.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry