Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Derek Johnson, MD
Dr. Derek Johnson is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in the treatment of hip and knee disorders. He has an outstanding reputation for providing the highest quality of care with an emphasis on rapid recovery and early return to function. He has a special interest in performing outpatient joint replacement, allowing patients to return home within hours of their surgery. Dr. Johnson has extensive experience performing total joint replacement and revision joint replacement, with a special interest in arthritis and hip and knee preservation surgery. He is skilled in using innovative techniques such as patient-specific custom knee replacement, computer assisted hip and knee replacement and anterior minimally invasive hip replacement. Dr. Johnson is a strong advocate for evidence-based medicine and believes in a multidisciplinary approach to support each patient's treatment and rapid recovery. He is active in clinical research and has presented and published widely on the topic of joint replacement. Dr. Johnson actively pursues ongoing continuing education to stay informed about the latest, most advanced treatment options. He frequently has surgeons visit his operating room to observe him operate and travels the country lecturing on joint replacement. Graduating with the highest distinction, Dr. Johnson received a medical degree from the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he was a member of the Honor Medical Society. He completed a residency at Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan before continuing on to complete fellowship training at Rocky Mountain Joint Replacement in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Johnson is married with two sons and two daughters. He enjoys spending time with his family outdoors and coaching his sons in football and wrestling.

9949 S Oswego St Ste 200

Parker, CO 80134

• American Enterprise Group
  • American Republic
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)

Learn about Dr. Johnson

See how frequently Dr. Johnson performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
Osteoarthritis of Hip
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain

Dr. Johnson's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Johnson "Dr. Johnson focuses in the treatment of hip and knee disorders with a special interest in arthritis treatment, joint preservation, and joint replacement. Conservative non-operative treatment modalities that improve quality of life and function are always utilized prior to proceeding to surgical intervention. This conservative approach allows Dr. Johnson to form long-term relationships with his patients.

When surgical intervention is necessary, Dr. Johnson focuses on excellent non-narcotic pain control and rapid recovery. He has an interest in outpatient joint replacement, allowing many patients to return home within hours of surgery. Dr. Johnson utilizes techniques such as custom patient specific knee replacement, computer assisted knee replacement, and muscle sparing less invasive anterior hip replacement.

Patient and physician education, research, and development of new products and techniques are a priority in Dr. Johnson's practice. "

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery

• Central Michigan University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1998
  • Michigan State University College - Human Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2003
  • Grand Rapids Medical Education & Research Center for Health Professions/Michigan State University
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2004
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2008
  • Colorado Joint Replacement
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2009

Dr. Johnson has no awards or honors listed.

• Numerous publications and presentation regarding hip and knee replacement.,

Dr. Johnson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Johnson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Johnson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Johnson to family and friends
3.8
Dr. Johnson's Performance
in Aurora, Colorado |
Dr. Johnson is absolutely the best of the best. I just finished having both hips replaced, one hip in April and the other in August, I feel terrific and walk five miles a day. He is amazing!!!!
in Aurora, CO |
Dr. Johnson developed a unique joint replacement program at Parker Adventist using a combination of pain-reducing techniques to get you on your feet faster. Thousands of joint replacements later speaks to his skill as a surgeon and to the success of the Joint replacement program . He takes time to listen to your concerns and answer your questions. He is passionate about his patients quality of life. The goal is to get you out of the hospital and back home. You will be happy with the result
Parker, CO |
Dr. Johnson did my right knee replacement on July 10th. I called him two Sundays in a row with concerns, and he listened, asked appropriate questions and suggested proper treatment. I just met with him for my 6-week follow-up and the knee is healing and functioning well! Dr. Johnson replaced my right hip in 2011, and due to the success of that surgery and his level of care, I continue to rely on him for joint treatment. I highly recommend him to others!
in Parker, CO |
I was Very very pleased with Dr Johnson and my bilateral knee surgery. Having both knees replaced at the same time seemed like a challenge however within 10 days of the surgery i stopped using a walker and within another 7 days i stopped using a cane. I cannot be more pleased with the results and how much better I feel.
in Denver, CO |
Dr Johnson is a great surgeon and doctor. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my joint care!
in Littleton, CO |
Doctor Johnson is great! He has a great personality and he's generally just a really likeable guy. He really cares about his patients and preserving the joint as much as possible. I've been seeing him for several years now with my knees and he's never tried to pressure me into knee replacement although he did mention I'd be a candidate, and has let me try less drastic treatment til I feel ready for a replacement. I really like how he listens to my needs in all of this. Great doctor!
in Fort Collins CO |
Dr Johnson replaced my right knee in July 2016. The operation, recovery, physical therapy, and follow up visits could not have gone better. I have recommended him to everyone who has asked. As I was walking to my car after my one year follow up appointment this week, an elderly woman struck up a conversation. She asked me who did my knee and I told her Dr Johnson. She smiled and said "thank you very much. I feel so much better-he is my new doctor". I told her she would be in great hands.
in Centennial, CO |
I have been seeing Dr. Johnson for years and I am extremely happy with the care and treatment that he has given to me. His staff is just as wonderful with how I am treated and cared for. He is always to the point, precise and gives options for treatments. There is a great open dialogue with Dr. Johnson and his staff at all times. There is never a wait and once I'm in the exam room, he follows immediately. I would highly recommend Dr. Johnson to anyone needing a Great Orthopedic Dr and surgeon.
in Evergreen CO. |
I have been going to Dr. Johnson for the past six years. He's taken me from numerous knee injections and different types of therapy to where we are today. He told me it's only a matter of time before you will need both knees replaced. I chose to have them both done at the end of tennis season. One of the best decisions I have made. Ten months later I am back on the courts better than ever. He's one of the most gifted and talented surgeons I've had the privilege of knowing. Simply the Best!
in Franktown, CO |
Dr. Johnson is an amazing Dr. Has great bedside manner. Does not push you into surgery, unless he feels it's necessary. Very thorough. Staff is great too.
in Aurora Colorado |
Dr Johnson. has done one knee. Great outcome. Getting ready to do the second one. Great smart doctor. No bs. Really impressed!!!!
in Denver, CO |
I have had two hip replacements in the last year .Dr. Johnson preformed both surgeries. I cannot believe how smoothly they both went. Very little pain and completely mobile in just a few days. If you are considering a hip replacement or knee replacement, I highly recommend you seek him out. I know several people who have used him with great success. I think without a doubt he is one of the best surgeons in the Denver area or even the northwest.
in Denver, CO |
I work in the medical device industry therefore I'm able to do more research than the average person. I'm a 43 year old who lives an active lifestyle and was very concerned about having a total hip surgery. I'm approximately 6 months post op and can't say enough good things about Dr. Johnson and my entire experience. I recommended my brother to Dr. Johnson and he had the same great results. Dr. Johnson's communication, knowledge, implant selection and surgical approach are all top notch.
in Littleton, CO |
Dr. Johnson replaced my left knee which I am now ecstatic with my physical recovery. The surgical center staff along with my dedicated anesthesiologist provided a very pleasant experience. I would gladly recommend Dr. Johnson's team to any individual in need of a knee replacement.
in Castle Rock, CO |
Not at all personable. When questioned gets defensive. Very quick in office visits. Not sure I would recommend.
in Denver, CO |
He spent about 3 minutes on a follow up appointment. He's not very personable. He really did not listen or care to see if we had any questions.
Have you seen Dr. Derek Johnson, MD?
Are you Dr. Johnson?

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA