Dr. Derek Jenkins, MD

Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Derek Jenkins, MD
Appointment Information: Patient Appointments, Surgical Scheduling & Administration Call: 401-453-9032

Dr. Jenkins' Care Philosophy

Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee Fellowship-trained Total Joint Surgeon Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Brown University Alpert School of Medicine

Dr. Jenkins' Experience

See how Dr. Jenkins' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Jenkins

Dr. Jenkins accepts 10 insurance carriers

Dr. Jenkins is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Jenkins has admitting privileges.

Dr. Jenkins' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Jenkins to family and friends
    Dr. Jenkins' Performance
    East Providence, RI |
    Recently Dr. Derek Jenkins replaced my left knee. I am very grateful that I was assigned to Dr. Jenkins by my orthopedic doctor. The hospital staff (nurses, physical therapists, and case manager) and the staff from the home health service (nurses, physical therapists, and occupational therapist) all highly praised Dr. Jenkins for his excellence as a surgeon and for his patient success rate. My surgery went smoothlty, I was discharged to my home, and am recovering ahead of schedule.
    Providence, RI |
    My experience with Dr. Jenkins was superb. He performed a full hip-replacement and found in the process, that I had hip dysplasia which he corrected as well. Because he is so skilled, I was up and walking the night of the surgery and released to home the next day. I had minimal pain and was able to resume a part-time schedule after 2 1/2 weeks. Throughout the process, he was informative, reassuring and very efficient Both he and his staff have been wonderfully helpful and supportive.
    Providence, RI |
    My experience with Dr. Jenkins is a godsend. Knee pain turned into cortisone shots which only helped for a short time. I was putting off the inevitable. He explained total knee replacement. I said i was ready and we moved forward. I am so thankful to him I did. Surgery was at Miriam and I have no regrets. He put me at ease regarding surgery and recovery. It all went perfectly and I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing relief from OA. I have no regrets but much respect for Dr. Jenkins
    in Nrth Smithfield, RI |
    Dr. Jenkins did a total knee replacement on me. I have had no complications. My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I have no pain. I am walking normal and I can do all my usual activities. He is an AMAZING Dr. and I would recommend him to any of my family members and friends.
    in Narragansett, RI |
    Dr. Jenkins just completed a hip replacement surgery for me. He was highly professional and attentive. He explained things clearly and treated me with respect. It is just three weeks since my complicated surgery and I am up and walking with a cane. So glad I had him do this surgery.
    in Harrisville |
    Dr. Jenkins performed my total left knee replacement on August 29 and my total right knee replacement on December 5. Both surgeries were extremely successful! Prior to the surgery, he explained the procedure in detail and answered all my questions. As a matter of fact, he will be performing a total left knee replacement on my husband in March. I would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends.
    in North Providence, RI |
    I had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and am already feeling significantly better. Dr Jenkins was thorough and knowledgeable. Important to me that all the office and hospital staff had good hints to say about him and his attention to detail. I would recommend him to anyone considering this surgery.
    in Portsmouth, RI |
    I had a right total hip replacement on Nov 4, 2016 by Dr. Derek Jenkins at 3:00 pm. I left the hospital the next day at 4:00 pm after being able to climb stairs with very little pain. I used a walker for one day, a cane for a week, and have walked without assistance ever since. All of this was possible because of the top notch surgical skills of Dr. Jenkins. He makes you feel like you are in good hands from start to finish. We are so lucky to have him in little Rhode Island!
    in Portsmouth RI |
    Dr Derek Jenkins is my miracle worker! My knees were so damaged from years of severe arthritis that one surgeon told me he wouldn't touch my knees. Luckily for me Dr Jenkins likes a challenge. He has successfully done two knee replacements for me and although the recovery isn't easy I have total faith in a positve outcome. And I really like his demeanor. He is confident but not cocky and always leaves me feeling reassured. I think he is the best doctor I've ever had!
    in Pawtucket, RI |
    Speaking personally, Dr. Jenkins is a great asset to those of us in need of hip replacements. As we all are of course different, he listens carefully and with sensitivity to understand and address the individual requirements, hesitations, etc. of his patients. His background in engineering is much appreciated and also shows in his expertise and authentic interest in the mechanics of problem solving each case. Follow through is consistent. I highly and wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Jenkins.
    Providence, RI |
    Was referred to him by a very senior Brown Univ. orthopedist for a broken hip previously operated on but needing a complete redoing. He did a very difficult and lengthy operation removing old implants and doing a total hip replacement with great skill. In addition to being highly competent Dr. Jenkins relates very well to his patients, which I much appreciate as a physician myself. Post op I've heard his patients are known to do very well, as I have been doing.
    in East Providence, RI |
    I recently started treatment for bilateral knee pain and have now had two cortisone knee injections to ease pain & comfort. I was NOT a fan of these shots prior to seeing Dr. Jenkins after having had mixed experiences in the past and post-shot puncture pain, etc. The first shot was in July and I actually felt so good it felt like a new knee. Minimal and short-lived pain during administration, and some soreness & slight swelling for 24-48 hours afterward, worth a try to avoid knee replacements!
    in Attleboro, MA |
    Who needs Boston when we have an outstanding surgeon right here in Providence - and that is Dr. Jenkins!! My hip replacement surgery was so successful that I was walking with no difficulty in 4 weeks. Not only are his surgical skills top-notch but his "bedside manner" leaves the patient feeling that they are in the best of hands. Thank you, Dr. Jenkins, for giving me my active life back again.
    in Riverside, RI |
    I thought Dr. jenkins was a bright and attentive doctor. He seems to be up on the latest developments in his specialty and exhibits a sincere concern for his patients. I would recommend him to anyone in need of a total knee replacement.
    in Providence, RI |
    I had a tear to the labrum of the right hip. Told I needed to see an orthopedic Dr. I Met Dr. Jenkins. After test and discussion we determined I needed a total hip replacement. Had the Hip replacement, went home next morning from the hospital. Pain after surgery was minimal, and has only gotten better. Prior to surgery lived with pain level 9-10/10 24/7. Nothing helped the pain. With the pain, I had nausea and vomiting daily. Now have no nausea and pain is 1-2/10, sore. 4 weeks post op
    in Warren, RI |
    I would recommend Dr.Jenkins to friends and family.I found Dr.Jenkins to be down to earth.He spends time with his patients with out rushing to get to the next one.He will answer all your questions in laymans terms so so patients with out medical knowledge understand everything he is explaining. The office staff is very professional as is the x-ray department.The only problem I find is it is a slow moving office environment.
    in Rehoboth, MA |
    Dr Jenkins is an outstanding Doctor I felt .completely confident that I had chosen the best surgeon for my procedure and I wasn't disappointed .. He explained everything clearly and he made me feel at ease.. I would highly recommend him to friends and family...he and his staff are the best!!!!!
    Warwick, RI |
    I highly recommend Dr. Jenkins and his staff. I had a left total hip replacement exactly 4 weeks ago. Not only is the joint pain that I had put up with for 10 years now totally gone, I am walking with no walker, cane or even a limp. There remains some minor surgical site numbness which is expected but otherwise I am completely pleased with the outcome and impressed with the manner in which my care was provided.
    in Cumberland, RI |
    Went to other orthopedics and found Dr. Jenkins to much more thorough. Very detailed oriented, spent a good amount of time proposing a plan of action. Good bedside manner and someone I would recommend.
    Have you seen Dr. Derek Jenkins, MD?
    Are you Dr. Jenkins?

Appointment Information:

Patient Appointments, Surgical Scheduling & Administration Call: 401-453-9032

Dr. Jenkins' Care Philosophy

Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee

Fellowship-trained Total Joint Surgeon

Dr. Jenkins says...

Dr. Jenkins specializes in adult reconstruction of the hip and knee, with a focused interest in primary surgery including direct anterior total hip replacement, gap balanced total knee replacement, and partial knee replacement; hip and knee preservation, young adult hip and knee, hip and knee arthroscopy, hip and knee osteotomies, treatment of avascular necrosis, fracture treatment of the hip and knee, and revision hip and knee surgeries including the treatment of infected, failed, or painful joint replacements.

Undergraduate Degree:

A.B., Engineering/Biology, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, Honors.

Medical Degree:

M.D., Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH.

Residency:

Orthopaedic Surgery, Lenox Hill Hospital, NY, NY.

Fellowship:

Hospital Affiliations:

• Mirriam Hospital
    • Rhode Island Hospital
    • Newport Hospital

Dr. Jenkins' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery
    •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades
    •  Malpractice claims in Rhode Island not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Rhode Island.

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
    • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
    • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
    • Femur Fracture
    • Gout
    • Hip Fracture
    • Hip Sprain
    • Internal Derangement of Knee
    • Knee Dislocation
    • Knee Fracture
    • Knee Sprain
    • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
    • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
    • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

Mayo Clinic-Rochester

Completed in 2013

Dartmouth College

Graduated in 2002

Dr. Jenkins does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Jenkins and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery