Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Derek Jenkins, MD
Appointment Information: Patient Appointments, Surgical Scheduling & Administration Call: 401-453-9032

100 Butler Dr

Providence, RI 02906

• Dimension Health
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Tufts Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Jenkins

See how frequently Dr. Jenkins performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Complications of Joint Prosthesis
Osteoarthritis

Dr. Jenkins's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Jenkins "Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee

Fellowship-trained Total Joint Surgeon

Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Brown University Alpert School of Medicine "

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery
  • Orthopedic Arthroscopy
  • Orthopedic Fracture Care

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Gout
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Rhode Island.

• Dartmouth College
  • Lenox Hill Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2012
  • Mayo Clinic-Rochester
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. Jenkins has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Jenkins does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Jenkins and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Jenkins' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Jenkins to family and friends
Dr. Jenkins' Performance
in West Warwick, RI |
I was scheduled to have a total knee replacement with Dr Jenkins in 2015. After the pre op testing which is required by Dr Jenkins it was found that I had lung cancer. I had no symptoms at all so I was really shocked to hear that. I had been a heavy smoker but had given it up 26 years ago, If it had not been for the mandatory testing required by Dr Jenkins I would probably not be here now, so thank you Dr Jenkins for saving my life.
East Providence, RI |
Recently Dr. Derek Jenkins replaced my left knee. I am very grateful that I was assigned to Dr. Jenkins by my orthopedic doctor. The hospital staff (nurses, physical therapists, and case manager) and the staff from the home health service (nurses, physical therapists, and occupational therapist) all highly praised Dr. Jenkins for his excellence as a surgeon and for his patient success rate. My surgery went smoothlty, I was discharged to my home, and am recovering ahead of schedule.
Providence, RI |
My experience with Dr. Jenkins was superb. He performed a full hip-replacement and found in the process, that I had hip dysplasia which he corrected as well. Because he is so skilled, I was up and walking the night of the surgery and released to home the next day. I had minimal pain and was able to resume a part-time schedule after 2 1/2 weeks. Throughout the process, he was informative, reassuring and very efficient Both he and his staff have been wonderfully helpful and supportive.
Providence, RI |
My experience with Dr. Jenkins is a godsend. Knee pain turned into cortisone shots which only helped for a short time. I was putting off the inevitable. He explained total knee replacement. I said i was ready and we moved forward. I am so thankful to him I did. Surgery was at Miriam and I have no regrets. He put me at ease regarding surgery and recovery. It all went perfectly and I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing relief from OA. I have no regrets but much respect for Dr. Jenkins
in Nrth Smithfield, RI |
Dr. Jenkins did a total knee replacement on me. I have had no complications. My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I have no pain. I am walking normal and I can do all my usual activities. He is an AMAZING Dr. and I would recommend him to any of my family members and friends.
in Narragansett, RI |
Dr. Jenkins just completed a hip replacement surgery for me. He was highly professional and attentive. He explained things clearly and treated me with respect. It is just three weeks since my complicated surgery and I am up and walking with a cane. So glad I had him do this surgery.
in Harrisville |
Dr. Jenkins performed my total left knee replacement on August 29 and my total right knee replacement on December 5. Both surgeries were extremely successful! Prior to the surgery, he explained the procedure in detail and answered all my questions. As a matter of fact, he will be performing a total left knee replacement on my husband in March. I would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends.
in North Providence, RI |
I had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and am already feeling significantly better. Dr Jenkins was thorough and knowledgeable. Important to me that all the office and hospital staff had good hints to say about him and his attention to detail. I would recommend him to anyone considering this surgery.
in Portsmouth, RI |
I had a right total hip replacement on Nov 4, 2016 by Dr. Derek Jenkins at 3:00 pm. I left the hospital the next day at 4:00 pm after being able to climb stairs with very little pain. I used a walker for one day, a cane for a week, and have walked without assistance ever since. All of this was possible because of the top notch surgical skills of Dr. Jenkins. He makes you feel like you are in good hands from start to finish. We are so lucky to have him in little Rhode Island!
in Portsmouth RI |
Dr Derek Jenkins is my miracle worker! My knees were so damaged from years of severe arthritis that one surgeon told me he wouldn't touch my knees. Luckily for me Dr Jenkins likes a challenge. He has successfully done two knee replacements for me and although the recovery isn't easy I have total faith in a positve outcome. And I really like his demeanor. He is confident but not cocky and always leaves me feeling reassured. I think he is the best doctor I've ever had!
in Pawtucket, RI |
Speaking personally, Dr. Jenkins is a great asset to those of us in need of hip replacements. As we all are of course different, he listens carefully and with sensitivity to understand and address the individual requirements, hesitations, etc. of his patients. His background in engineering is much appreciated and also shows in his expertise and authentic interest in the mechanics of problem solving each case. Follow through is consistent. I highly and wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Jenkins.
Providence, RI |
Was referred to him by a very senior Brown Univ. orthopedist for a broken hip previously operated on but needing a complete redoing. He did a very difficult and lengthy operation removing old implants and doing a total hip replacement with great skill. In addition to being highly competent Dr. Jenkins relates very well to his patients, which I much appreciate as a physician myself. Post op I've heard his patients are known to do very well, as I have been doing.
in East Providence, RI |
I recently started treatment for bilateral knee pain and have now had two cortisone knee injections to ease pain & comfort. I was NOT a fan of these shots prior to seeing Dr. Jenkins after having had mixed experiences in the past and post-shot puncture pain, etc. The first shot was in July and I actually felt so good it felt like a new knee. Minimal and short-lived pain during administration, and some soreness & slight swelling for 24-48 hours afterward, worth a try to avoid knee replacements!
in Attleboro, MA |
Who needs Boston when we have an outstanding surgeon right here in Providence - and that is Dr. Jenkins!! My hip replacement surgery was so successful that I was walking with no difficulty in 4 weeks. Not only are his surgical skills top-notch but his "bedside manner" leaves the patient feeling that they are in the best of hands. Thank you, Dr. Jenkins, for giving me my active life back again.
in Riverside, RI |
I thought Dr. jenkins was a bright and attentive doctor. He seems to be up on the latest developments in his specialty and exhibits a sincere concern for his patients. I would recommend him to anyone in need of a total knee replacement.
in Providence, RI |
I had a tear to the labrum of the right hip. Told I needed to see an orthopedic Dr. I Met Dr. Jenkins. After test and discussion we determined I needed a total hip replacement. Had the Hip replacement, went home next morning from the hospital. Pain after surgery was minimal, and has only gotten better. Prior to surgery lived with pain level 9-10/10 24/7. Nothing helped the pain. With the pain, I had nausea and vomiting daily. Now have no nausea and pain is 1-2/10, sore. 4 weeks post op
in Warren, RI |
I would recommend Dr.Jenkins to friends and family.I found Dr.Jenkins to be down to earth.He spends time with his patients with out rushing to get to the next one.He will answer all your questions in laymans terms so so patients with out medical knowledge understand everything he is explaining. The office staff is very professional as is the x-ray department.The only problem I find is it is a slow moving office environment.
in Rehoboth, MA |
Dr Jenkins is an outstanding Doctor I felt .completely confident that I had chosen the best surgeon for my procedure and I wasn't disappointed .. He explained everything clearly and he made me feel at ease.. I would highly recommend him to friends and family...he and his staff are the best!!!!!
Warwick, RI |
I highly recommend Dr. Jenkins and his staff. I had a left total hip replacement exactly 4 weeks ago. Not only is the joint pain that I had put up with for 10 years now totally gone, I am walking with no walker, cane or even a limp. There remains some minor surgical site numbness which is expected but otherwise I am completely pleased with the outcome and impressed with the manner in which my care was provided.
in Cumberland, RI |
Went to other orthopedics and found Dr. Jenkins to much more thorough. Very detailed oriented, spent a good amount of time proposing a plan of action. Good bedside manner and someone I would recommend.
Have you seen Dr. Derek Jenkins, MD?
Are you Dr. Jenkins?

See our Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialist at Southcoast Hospitals Group – Charlton Memorial

Visit Dr. Jenkins