Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD

Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD

Surgical OncologyFemaleAge 50

Surgical Oncology

Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD is a Surgical Oncology Specialist in North Charleston, SC. She is affiliated with MUSC Health University Medical Center. Her office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

MUSC Health North Area Medical Pavilion

MUSC Health North Area Medical Pavilion8992 University Blvd North Charleston, SC 29406
New Patient?

MUSC Hollings Cancer Center

MUSC Hollings Cancer Center86 Jonathan Lucas St Charleston, SC 29425
New Patient?

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Carneiro-Pla is affiliated with MUSC Health University Medical Center Charleston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

More Oncology Specialists at MUSC Health North Area Medical Pavilion

Dr. Carneiro-Pla's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Carneiro-Pla

4.5

Dr. Carneiro-Pla

Poor experience with this provider
Poor 2 stars from the get go she seems intent on doing surgery on my woofed thyroid nodule. I am an orthopedic surgeon and suggested a biopsy instead which she reluctantly agreed to. We did this under ultrasound guide and it was benign still she wanted to proceed with total excision I felt a 6 month follow up made more sense and she agreed to refer us to someone closer to our home. That was never done. No follow up scheduled. Also I ended up with a out of pocket $390 charge not covered by Humana. Our whole experience was clouded because her attitude seemed to be , no surgery, I’m not interested in your issue. Majority of thyroid nodules are benign and we know there was little change over a 3 year period preceding this biopsy. As a surgeon I believe her total approach was suspect in that there was no reason to use caution and reevaluate it
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Curtiss mull M D – Mar 01, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
Dr. Carneiro-Pl performed a successful surgery of my parathyroid just recently. She 1st started with a scan and explained the percentages of various aspects of the surgery and results. The surgery itself went well, as well as my recovery. Her follow up is very in depth. She explains the entire process and listens to your concerns. I do feel more energetic, no pain in my back now, as well as no discomfort as a result of the surgery. Her professionalism and skills are very impressive. I trust her 100% for my health care needs. From her decisions, explanations, listening to my concerns and her friendly and helpful staff. This was a very positive experience.
Bob – Jul 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
Dr. Carneiro-Pla was very informative about what she said and we discussed surgery which she said should have been done a long time ago I'm thankful for her she set up the surgery and it's in 2 weeks that's quick. But will update on the surgery afterwards. Let me also add she spent time with me which means a lot to me some doctors spend a minimum amount of time like 15 minutes but she stayed longer. I only waited longer because I arrived really early for my appointment.
Conway, SC – Nov 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
She was wonderful. I found Dr. Carneiro-Pla to be a very skilled surgeon, great bedside manner and very imformative. Initial meeting she provided a lot of information so decision was made with knowledge. A friend recommended her for my thyroid issues and described her as a 'rock star', which on concur.
Cindy B – Nov 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
This is a follow-up post approximately one year after my surgery. I was so lucky a large nodule on my thyroid was benign, and still appreciate the excellent care and follow-up I received from Dr. Carneiro-Pla & staff in Chas.,SC. I was so frightened going into this surgery, and she eased my fears. It's superficial, but I also dreaded a wide neck scar like many patients have (based on my web research). Mine was so minimal, thanks to her expertise/skill, and now nearly invisible. No scarf needed!
Columbia, SC – Jul 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
My experience with Dr Carneiro-Pla and her staff was very pleasant. She explained my procedure in great detail and helped me weigh the pros and cons of going through with the thyroidectomy. I chose to have the surgery and it was a was a success; my scar is healing beautifully thanks to her care instructions. Dr Carneiro-Pla is an excellent surgeon and has a great personality.
Bluffton, SC – Jun 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
Dr. Carneiro-Pla is a caring, empathetic specialist in her field. She went out of her way to ensure I was comfortable with our treatment decision. It was obvious she genuinely cares about her patients even to the point of personally adjusting my ice pack after surgery! I trust her implicitly and recommend her without reservation. Thank you, Dr. Carneiro-Pla, and MUSC for caring about me and my health!
Bluffton, SC – Apr 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
The absolute best doctor I have ever had. She found cancer where other doctors said there was none and also found cancer in two of my sisters. She is unbelievably compassionate and truly cares about her patients. Extremely well respected by her peers and loved by her patients. she has a wait for appointments but I would never go to anyone else for thyroid issues. She is by far the BEST!
Lisa in Blythewood, SC – Dec 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
I would keep looking if I could go back 3 years. She insisted I had thyroid cancer with no biopsy. She said I would never miss half of my thyroid and would just need to take a pill every day. Yea I heard the "c" word and believed her. My life has completely changed for the worst since that day and I don't think I'll ever get it back. Please go find a functional or holistic Dr and find your root cause. There is so much coming out on thyroidectomies and how they ruin your life.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Shannon in Murrells Inlet, SC – Dec 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?
She first saw me as a referral for possible surgery due to hypoparathyroidism surgery. She found thyroid cancer and removed both lobes. She also walked me through radioactive iodine treatment. I cannot describe how empathetic, caring, thorough and just plain nice she is. She explains things well and seems to enjoy helping her patients through the cancer process. It makes me less nervous to have my annual oncology appointments because she is so empathetic and guenuine.
Daphie S. in North Charleston, SC – Dec 07, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Carneiro-Pla?