Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD

Dr. Sudheendra
Telehealth services available

Penn Interventional Radiology

3400 Spruce St Philadelphia, PA 19104

Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD is a Vascular & Interventional Radiology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA. He is affiliated with Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sudheendra to book an appointment.

Compare with other Vascular & Interventional Radiology Specialists

Compare Dr. Sudheendra with our nearby Vascular & Interventional Radiology Specialists at Virtua Health.

Make an appointment at Virtua Health today at (856) 288-1760.

These providers are on the medical staff of Virtua Health.

Dr. Sudheendra's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sudheendra

Dr. Sudheendra
Make a long story short, went to hospital for leg/back pain. They thought it was spinal. MRI and CT negative. My legs were swollen and they told me rest and go home. Over 3 more days pain was horrible. Went to another hospital and they said i had SEVERE DVTs. They said treatment is anticoagulants and go home. By grace of God I found Dr. Sudheendra (3 weeks after original clot) and he did several surgeries on me. One of them lasted almost 7 hours. He cared deeply and would spend over 30 minutes talking to me and my family. He gave me hope when I thought I would not walk without a limp. I have a ways to go but I think I am on the right track thanks to dr. Sudheendra. Anyone who has DVT and is nearby Dr. Sudheendra should see him. He truly is passionate, knowledgeable and has a high degree of ethics.
Jun 18, 2021
Six months ago, I suffered from bilateral DVT all the way up to my IVC. The doctors discovered that I have IVC atresia that prevented blood to flow properly to my body. My husband is a physician and researched doctors who specialize in my case and many physicians through word of mouth and social media recommended Dr. Sudi for my situation. My life quality has changed dramatically and I have so much more energy. I would highly recommend Dr. Sudi. My experience with him was great. He took his time to explain the entire process. You can see that he is passionate about this field and extremely knowledgeable. During my hospitalization, he was supportive in the aftermath of the surgery and was reviewing my file even on his day off and putting in orders. I even had some of the nurses who have worked with him tell me that he is one of the most compassionate doctors that they have worked with and he really cares about his patients. I cannot thank him enough for the care he provided.
Kirpa Chohan – Mar 30, 2021
I went to see Dr Sudi on a recommendation of a friend. I have been to several doctors regarding a venous insufficiency in my lower legs. I walked in to that office and I knew right away that my life would change. Dr suti was the nicest smartest doctor I had seen in several months and I have been around the Delaware County area with doctors. He was like talking to my brothe. He was so easy going and so nice and just unbelievably smart in the medical condition I have. He is the guy that you want to go to when you have a serious issue with your veins. Dr Sudi couldn't be or open, honest, yet kind in his demeanor and way of speaking. He's not the uptight surgeon you would think he'd be. Dr Shirley is a genuinely nice person and his team is just like him easy going kind and very smart the whole team is that you can just tell his team love their job!!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Joann Raimimdo – Mar 17, 2021
I suffered a popliteal vein thrombosis (DVT) in 2007, my left lower leg was painful and swollen all the time. After years of chronic pain, wearing compression socks and being told nothing could be done to fix my leg, I found Dr. Sudheendra. In 2018, I was being treated for a venous insufficiency ulcer on my left lower leg by the wound center. The wound center recommenced I see Dr. Sudheendra for help with my leg. During my exam with Dr. Sudheendra, he put me at easy and told me I had options to fix my leg and relieve some of my pain. In December of 2018, Dr. Sudheendra performed RP Extremity Venogram to fix my left leg and I can't believe the difference this surgery made. I'm three years out from my surgery and I no longer suffer from venous insufficiency ulcers and my swelling has decrease by 50 %. I highly recommend you see Dr. Sudheendra.
Tammi – Feb 16, 2021
A month ago, Dr. Sudheendra placed a stent in my iliac vein, having diagnosed May-Thurner Syndrome. I won't detail the years-long process that led me eventually to him, but I am thrilled with the improvement in symptoms that I've seen since the procedure. Those symptoms were: severe, debilitating pain in my left flank, left leg and right hip. Extreme heaviness in my left leg and left foot numbness and dragging, making it difficult to walk up stairs or uphill. Some issues with varicose veins, and a lump in my left calf that an ultrasound exam did not definitively diagnose as DVT. All the pain and weakness was on my left side, which was frightening to me. Dr. Sudheendra was extremely patient and honest, took a lot of time to explain, and responded immediately when I called his office with questions or concerns. I am getting my life back, and I am very grateful for his skill and care.
Rhoda Ryba – Aug 21, 2020
I had an issue with the calf in my right leg for the past five years.When I would walk for 2 to 3 minutes whether treadmill or outside my right calf would cramp up,wait a minute it would go away. No other pain when just setting down just when walking.Two other vascular doctors recommended to not do anything.Just wait until it got worse.I had heart bypass performed in March 2019.My surgeon told me I had peripheral arterial disease.Testing confirmed I had blockage in both legs from knees down,but only had cramping in the right calf.Dr.Suddi reviewed catscan and felt he could perform surgery ,clean out artery and insert a stent.That procedure was performed on June 5 2020. I can honestly say it was a complete success.I can now walk at a steady pace for a much longer period of time,with no cramping at all.I forgot to mention ,in am 85.I would not hesitate to do it again.Dr.Suddi will explain the pros and cons for doing the procedure.
Earl Swain – Jul 17, 2020
I was born with congenital shortness of my left leg and have had over 30 operations to correct the shortness and provide me with a quality of life. Over the course of the past 6 yrs, I have experienced significant and painful swelling, redness and tenderness in my entire left leg. My Primary Care physician as well as several Orthopedic doctors were unable to diagnose the issue and concluded it was probably due to all the surgical trauma the leg had endured over the years. I was referred to Dr. Sudi who diagnosed I was suffering from May Thurber syndrome and DVT. Dr. Sudi performed a serial angioplasty of my left femoral vein and common and external iliac veins and deep venous recanalization w stunting of the iliac vein. Swelling and redness has decreased significantly and energy level has greatly improved. Dr Sudi is awesome! This procedure has improved my quality of life. I highly recommend Dr. Sudi.
Craig Barton in Philadelphia, PA – Jan 27, 2020
At 27 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with a large blood clot in my leg. My leg was painful, swollen, and continued to feel heavy and fatigued as my pregnancy continued. I also suffered from pain during intercourse. Once I delivered, I underwent a scheduled venogram where a stent was to be placed. It was not done due to not being able to get through the scar tissue from the clot. I was diagnosed with May Thurner Syndrome and sent to Dr. Sudi. Dr. Sudi was very open and honest with me about my situation and gave me several options. He gave me time to think about the choice I wanted to make without feeling any type of pressure. Dr. Sudi then placed a stent in my iliac vein. Two months post procedure and all of my symptoms have nearly gone away. I feel great and it has also helped to alleviate anxieties of another clot forming knowing I'm a little more protected. Dr. Sudi followed up and checked on me and my progress. I couldn't be happier with my experience.
Ally B. – Aug 14, 2019
Dr. Sudi (as we patients get to call him) is as warm and charming as he is a brilliant diagnostician and practitioner. For four years I had experienced pain in my vulva, diagnosed by the numerous gynecologists and pelvic medicine doctors as varicose veins. I was told to lie down and put my feet up. Rather hard to go through life lying down with your feet up. The pain, intermittent at first, became worse until it was constant and quite severe, so severe that walking across a room was extremely painful. And then, through an internet search, I found Dr. Sudi. He diagnosed the cause of my pain as May-Thurner Syndrome, a condition little known to most doctors. Once Dr. Sudi diagnosed it and treated it, the pain disappeared completely! He gave me back my active life. I am grateful to him every day and so happy that I found such a knowledgeable and deeply compassionate physician.
Debra Thomas – Aug 13, 2019
Before my surgery in December my leg was extremely swollen and painful. I suffer with blood clots that didn't allow me to do much. Depression set in and my weight sprialed out of control. Since the surgery I'm able to walk short distances. I finally have some relief after two years of constant pain. My pain level has decreased. I wish I had the surgery sooner so my road to recovery could have started earlier. I'm starting to lose weight thanks to Dr. Sudheendra surgery and his wonderful team !!!
Apr 01, 2019
Dr. Sudi was able to stent my iliac vein and clear clots in my leg and hip more than 2 years after DVT. He is an expert in managing May-Thurner syndrome and complex chronic cases of DVT. He took the time to speak with me on the phone on several occasions to discuss my case as a patient traveling from out of the state for the procedure. Because of his expertise and the time he dedicated to my case, I now have a significant improvement in the quality of my life. Highly recommend!
dvt_treatment_philadelphia in Wauwatosa, WI – Jun 30, 2018
Recommended by my brother, I went to see Dr. Sudi when traveling in America. He answered every question I asked patiently and encouraged me to have the faith to have healthy legs again. My legs feel completely different after the treatment. I can carry my little granddaughter walking around gardens now. I want to give my sincere thanks to Dr. Sudi and his working team in Penn Medicine who treated me so kindly and efficiently during the whole procedure and the visits before & after the treatment.
Ping Wang – Jun 21, 2018
Recommended by my brother, I went to see Dr. Sudi when traveling in America. He answered every question I asked patiently and encouraged me to have the faith to have healthy legs again. My legs feel completely different after the treatment. I can carry my little granddaughter walking around gardens now. I want to give my sincere thanks to Dr. Sudi and his working team in Penn Medicine who treated me so kindly and efficiently during the whole procedure and the visits before & after the treatment.
Ping Wang in Philadelphia, PA – Jun 19, 2018
Dr. Sudi has an outstanding bedside manor, one that a pt who is nervous about a procedure, will help to calm you down just by explaining everything that will take place. He also will answer any question that you ask even if you amy not want to know the answer
  • Long wait times
mark lyons in yardley, PA – May 25, 2018
Hello All, I wanted to write this to tell you a little story. I have had a chronic DVT for going on 12 years now. I just went through multi surgeries with Doctor Sudheendra, and I am thrilled to say the leg is much better, not fixed but much better. The main reason that I am writing this is I hope to get to all the people that have a DVT and have been told that there is nothing that can be done, that this is just not true and I wish that I had found Doctor Sudheendra 12 years ago. I
Mike Hertel in Manassas VA – Apr 30, 2018
I am very fortunate to have found a trustworthy, compassionate doctor in Dr. Sudheendra. Going here for a second opinion was the best decision. Dr. Sudi saved me from the money hungry doc I saw down in south jersey that wanted to immediately stent me when it was not needed. Dr S will not do unnecessary treatments for money, & he spends ample time with you answeing any & all concerns. He genuinely cares and wants to help. He's willing to help at any time you need him. Definitely an A+ from me!
Kelly in Atlantic City, NJ – Apr 15, 2018
After suffering for months from DVT, I cannot believe the difference the simple procedure Dr. Sudheendra performed has made. There is no evidence of any of the swelling, skin condition and, especially, no pain. He continues to monitor my issues with DVT, and I know I'm in good hands.
M.E. in Philadelphia, PA – Mar 09, 2018
Dr Sudheendra gave me treatment for my DVT in Philadelphia at Penn! He was incredible. He is extremely knowledgeable and takes the time to explain everything to the patient. I have never felt rushed at an appointment. He explains things in a way that’s easy to understand and makes sure you know what’s going on. When other doctors told me there was nothing they could do- Dr Sudi was knowledgeable and educated enough to know there was. He truly gave me my life back.
Elizabeth in Millsboro DE – Jan 12, 2018
Dr. Sudi cleared blockages in the femoral vein near the calf. The vein behind the knee was clear so re-entered the femoral vein above the knee. Cleared the vein thru to the groin. Between the angioplasty and actual removal of clotted material the femoral vein is now clear. The procedure was a success. The entire staff at U of P were exceptional. Dr. Sudi is remarkable. He came to my room for 45 minutes the next day to show us the results of the procedure. Very caring Dr.. Gave me a future
Sam Kier in Bastrop, Tx – Dec 29, 2017
Dr. Sudheendra, a world-class specialist in venal reconstruction surgery, was consistently thorough, concerned, and compassionate throughout a series of surgeries aimed at increasing the blood flow in my legs. I had suffered seven DVT's and two pulmonary emboli over a four-year period and developed advanced post-phlebitic syndrome as a consequence. My surgery substantially stabilized my legs and eliminated the sudden loss of sensation in my lower leg which had previously caused me to fall.
David Limmer in Jenkintown, PA – Dec 07, 2017

How was your experience with Dr. Sudheendra?

My practice philosophy centers foremost on the physician-patient relationship. Straightforward & honest communication is not only vital to achieving...Read more

As the Founder and Director of the DVT & Complex Venous Disease Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Perelman School of Medicine,...Read more

• Vascular & Interventional Radiology
  • Vascular Radiology

• Diagnostic Radiology
  • Interventional Radiology & Vascular Radiology

2011
George Wshington University Medical Center (Vascular & Interventional Radiology)
2010
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Diagnostic Radiology)
2006
National Institutes Of Health (Interventional Radiology Research Fellow)
2004
Washington Hospital Center (General Surgery)
2002