Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD

Dr. Sudheendra
Telehealth services available

Penn Interventional Radiology

3400 Spruce St Philadelphia, PA 19104

Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD is a Vascular & Interventional Radiology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA. He is affiliated with Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sudheendra to book an appointment.

Dr. Sudheendra's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sudheendra

Dr. Sudheendra?
A month ago, Dr. Sudheendra placed a stent in my iliac vein, having diagnosed May-Thurner Syndrome. I won't detail the years-long process that led me eventually to him, but I am thrilled with the improvement in symptoms that I've seen since the procedure. Those symptoms were: severe, debilitating pain in my left flank, left leg and right hip. Extreme heaviness in my left leg and left foot numbness and dragging, making it difficult to walk up stairs or uphill. Some issues with varicose veins, and a lump in my left calf that an ultrasound exam did not definitively diagnose as DVT. All the pain and weakness was on my left side, which was frightening to me. Dr. Sudheendra was extremely patient and honest, took a lot of time to explain, and responded immediately when I called his office with questions or concerns. I am getting my life back, and I am very grateful for his skill and care.
Rhoda Ryba – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
I had an issue with the calf in my right leg for the past five years.When I would walk for 2 to 3 minutes whether treadmill or outside my right calf would cramp up,wait a minute it would go away. No other pain when just setting down just when walking.Two other vascular doctors recommended to not do anything.Just wait until it got worse.I had heart bypass performed in March 2019.My surgeon told me I had peripheral arterial disease.Testing confirmed I had blockage in both legs from knees down,but only had cramping in the right calf.Dr.Suddi reviewed catscan and felt he could perform surgery ,clean out artery and insert a stent.That procedure was performed on June 5 2020. I can honestly say it was a complete success.I can now walk at a steady pace for a much longer period of time,with no cramping at all.I forgot to mention ,in am 85.I would not hesitate to do it again.Dr.Suddi will explain the pros and cons for doing the procedure.
Earl Swain – Jul 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
I was born with congenital shortness of my left leg and have had over 30 operations to correct the shortness and provide me with a quality of life. Over the course of the past 6 yrs, I have experienced significant and painful swelling, redness and tenderness in my entire left leg. My Primary Care physician as well as several Orthopedic doctors were unable to diagnose the issue and concluded it was probably due to all the surgical trauma the leg had endured over the years. I was referred to Dr. Sudi who diagnosed I was suffering from May Thurber syndrome and DVT. Dr. Sudi performed a serial angioplasty of my left femoral vein and common and external iliac veins and deep venous recanalization w stunting of the iliac vein. Swelling and redness has decreased significantly and energy level has greatly improved. Dr Sudi is awesome! This procedure has improved my quality of life. I highly recommend Dr. Sudi.
Craig Barton in Philadelphia, PA – Jan 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
At 27 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with a large blood clot in my leg. My leg was painful, swollen, and continued to feel heavy and fatigued as my pregnancy continued. I also suffered from pain during intercourse. Once I delivered, I underwent a scheduled venogram where a stent was to be placed. It was not done due to not being able to get through the scar tissue from the clot. I was diagnosed with May Thurner Syndrome and sent to Dr. Sudi. Dr. Sudi was very open and honest with me about my situation and gave me several options. He gave me time to think about the choice I wanted to make without feeling any type of pressure. Dr. Sudi then placed a stent in my iliac vein. Two months post procedure and all of my symptoms have nearly gone away. I feel great and it has also helped to alleviate anxieties of another clot forming knowing I'm a little more protected. Dr. Sudi followed up and checked on me and my progress. I couldn't be happier with my experience.
Ally B. – Aug 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudi (as we patients get to call him) is as warm and charming as he is a brilliant diagnostician and practitioner. For four years I had experienced pain in my vulva, diagnosed by the numerous gynecologists and pelvic medicine doctors as varicose veins. I was told to lie down and put my feet up. Rather hard to go through life lying down with your feet up. The pain, intermittent at first, became worse until it was constant and quite severe, so severe that walking across a room was extremely painful. And then, through an internet search, I found Dr. Sudi. He diagnosed the cause of my pain as May-Thurner Syndrome, a condition little known to most doctors. Once Dr. Sudi diagnosed it and treated it, the pain disappeared completely! He gave me back my active life. I am grateful to him every day and so happy that I found such a knowledgeable and deeply compassionate physician.
Debra Thomas – Aug 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Before my surgery in December my leg was extremely swollen and painful. I suffer with blood clots that didn't allow me to do much. Depression set in and my weight sprialed out of control. Since the surgery I'm able to walk short distances. I finally have some relief after two years of constant pain. My pain level has decreased. I wish I had the surgery sooner so my road to recovery could have started earlier. I'm starting to lose weight thanks to Dr. Sudheendra surgery and his wonderful team !!!
Apr 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudi was able to stent my iliac vein and clear clots in my leg and hip more than 2 years after DVT. He is an expert in managing May-Thurner syndrome and complex chronic cases of DVT. He took the time to speak with me on the phone on several occasions to discuss my case as a patient traveling from out of the state for the procedure. Because of his expertise and the time he dedicated to my case, I now have a significant improvement in the quality of my life. Highly recommend!
dvt_treatment_philadelphia in Wauwatosa, WI – Jun 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Recommended by my brother, I went to see Dr. Sudi when traveling in America. He answered every question I asked patiently and encouraged me to have the faith to have healthy legs again. My legs feel completely different after the treatment. I can carry my little granddaughter walking around gardens now. I want to give my sincere thanks to Dr. Sudi and his working team in Penn Medicine who treated me so kindly and efficiently during the whole procedure and the visits before & after the treatment.
Ping Wang – Jun 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Recommended by my brother, I went to see Dr. Sudi when traveling in America. He answered every question I asked patiently and encouraged me to have the faith to have healthy legs again. My legs feel completely different after the treatment. I can carry my little granddaughter walking around gardens now. I want to give my sincere thanks to Dr. Sudi and his working team in Penn Medicine who treated me so kindly and efficiently during the whole procedure and the visits before & after the treatment.
Ping Wang in Philadelphia, PA – Jun 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudi has an outstanding bedside manor, one that a pt who is nervous about a procedure, will help to calm you down just by explaining everything that will take place. He also will answer any question that you ask even if you amy not want to know the answer
mark lyons in yardley, PA – May 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Hello All, I wanted to write this to tell you a little story. I have had a chronic DVT for going on 12 years now. I just went through multi surgeries with Doctor Sudheendra, and I am thrilled to say the leg is much better, not fixed but much better. The main reason that I am writing this is I hope to get to all the people that have a DVT and have been told that there is nothing that can be done, that this is just not true and I wish that I had found Doctor Sudheendra 12 years ago. I
Mike Hertel in Manassas VA – Apr 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
I am very fortunate to have found a trustworthy, compassionate doctor in Dr. Sudheendra. Going here for a second opinion was the best decision. Dr. Sudi saved me from the money hungry doc I saw down in south jersey that wanted to immediately stent me when it was not needed. Dr S will not do unnecessary treatments for money, & he spends ample time with you answeing any & all concerns. He genuinely cares and wants to help. He's willing to help at any time you need him. Definitely an A+ from me!
Kelly in Atlantic City, NJ – Apr 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
After suffering for months from DVT, I cannot believe the difference the simple procedure Dr. Sudheendra performed has made. There is no evidence of any of the swelling, skin condition and, especially, no pain. He continues to monitor my issues with DVT, and I know I'm in good hands.
M.E. in Philadelphia, PA – Mar 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr Sudheendra gave me treatment for my DVT in Philadelphia at Penn! He was incredible. He is extremely knowledgeable and takes the time to explain everything to the patient. I have never felt rushed at an appointment. He explains things in a way that’s easy to understand and makes sure you know what’s going on. When other doctors told me there was nothing they could do- Dr Sudi was knowledgeable and educated enough to know there was. He truly gave me my life back.
Elizabeth in Millsboro DE – Jan 12, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudi cleared blockages in the femoral vein near the calf. The vein behind the knee was clear so re-entered the femoral vein above the knee. Cleared the vein thru to the groin. Between the angioplasty and actual removal of clotted material the femoral vein is now clear. The procedure was a success. The entire staff at U of P were exceptional. Dr. Sudi is remarkable. He came to my room for 45 minutes the next day to show us the results of the procedure. Very caring Dr.. Gave me a future
Sam Kier in Bastrop, Tx – Dec 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudheendra, a world-class specialist in venal reconstruction surgery, was consistently thorough, concerned, and compassionate throughout a series of surgeries aimed at increasing the blood flow in my legs. I had suffered seven DVT's and two pulmonary emboli over a four-year period and developed advanced post-phlebitic syndrome as a consequence. My surgery substantially stabilized my legs and eliminated the sudden loss of sensation in my lower leg which had previously caused me to fall.
David Limmer in Jenkintown, PA – Dec 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
On 7/15 I was diagnosed with extensive blood clots the whole lower half of my body due to the IVC filter that was still in place. With his procedure of minimal intervention. He was able to go directly to the vein and attack the clots directly, leading to a greater rate of recovery. minimal scarring greater chance for no disruption? to my walking. Dr. Sudheendra gave me all the fact, risk and made me as comfortable as possible. No one ever could give more education to help you make a decision?.
Caprice Shortell in Oxford, PA – Sep 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Years ago I had surgery to repair a varicose vein in my neck. The repair was not successful and I suffered with pain and discomfort until a plastic surgeon referred me to Dr. Sudaheendra. I had never heard of interventional radiology prior to the referral. Dr. Sudaheendra performed angioplasty which relieved me of all of my pain and discomfort without surgery! I highly recommend consulting with an interventional radiologist prior to undergoing a surgical procedure.
Patricia in Lancaster, PA – Jun 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
I was diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma a few months ago. My Interventional Radiologist, Dr. Sudi, indicated that I would be a good candidate for chemoembolization. He spent a lot of time with me during my consultation. He explained the issues, his recommended treatment plan and what I could expect during recovery. He was not only very professional, but also very pleasant and answered all of my questions in detail. The entire staff treated me wonderfully. Most important, it worked.
Chris Miller in Freehold, NJ – May 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?
Dr. Sudheendra visited me in my hospital room at University of Pennsylvania while being treated for internal bleeding. At almost the same time I suffered severe DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) in both my legs, from my feet through top of my thighs. While normally 150 lbs. my weight ballooned to 185 lbs, fluid in my legs. Surgery was performed and in two to three weeks my legs returned to normal. Special thanks to Dr. "Sudi" for being an exceptional surgeon, but also a "people person".
Tom Morrissey in West Chester, PA – Feb 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Deepak Sudheendra, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sudheendra?

My practice philosophy centers foremost on the physician-patient relationship. Straightforward & honest communication is not only vital to achieving...Read more

As the Founder and Director of the DVT & Complex Venous Disease Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Perelman School of Medicine,...Read more

• Vascular & Interventional Radiology
  • Vascular Radiology

• Diagnostic Radiology
  • Interventional Radiology & Vascular Radiology

2011
George Wshington University Medical Center (Vascular & Interventional Radiology)
2010
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Diagnostic Radiology)
2006
National Institutes Of Health (Interventional Radiology Research Fellow)
2004
Washington Hospital Center (General Surgery)
2002