Dr. David Yam, MD

Dr. David Yam, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Male

Dr. David Yam, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Walla Walla, WA. He has been practicing for 13 years. Read his story

Providence Medical Group

• Premera Blue Cross
  • Providence Health Plans
  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Yam

See how frequently Dr. Yam performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Spine Deformities
Myelopathy
Spondylolisthesis

Dr. Yam's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Yam's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Yam "I was born and raised in Knoxville, TN. I am the son of a physical therapist that inspired me to care for people. I am the son of an engineer that taught me to improve every process. I am the brother of two of the greatest men I know that keep me striving to their greatness. I moved to Washington in 2010 and really enjoy our community. I take great pride in my work, you are my neighbors, friends, and family, and will always give my best effort in your care. "

This content was provided by Dr. Yam "As a neurosurgeon, I oftentimes see people in their most desperate times.  My goal in providing care is to help patients and their families get through these difficult situations by providing high quality and compassionate care. I appreciate my patients putting their trust in my experienced hands and enjoy improving their lives using the most modern techniques and technologies.  I strive to have easy to understand discussions with my patients so that the options for care are not confusing or complicated.  My wait times can be a bit long which is something I am always try to reduce, but hopefully you will find my care to be worth the wait.  "

• Neurosurgery

Dr. Yam does not have any board certifications listed.

• Acoustic Neuroma
  • Breast Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Metastatic Cancer
  • Nerve Cancer
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

• Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Reconstruction
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • Spine Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• Ut
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2000
  • Univ Of Tn Hlth Sci Ctr Coll Of Med
    Medical School | Graduated 2004
  • University of Tennessee / Memphis / College of Medicine & Surgery
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • University of Tennessee / Memphis / College of Medicine & Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Yam has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Yam has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Yam does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Yam and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Yam's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yam to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Yam Says:

I greatly appreciate both positive and negative feedback on this site and the others out there.  I always want my patients to succeed with surgery and with their lives after and feedback from you is how I can learn to be a better doctor in my effort to improve every person's life that I meet.

Dr. Yam's Performance
Kennewick, WA |
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Yam. I had a bulging disc in my neck and I was able to meet with him and discuss my options. He answered every question I had and I felt completely confident in his ability to do the best job. The office staff was also very nice. Opting for a single level disc replacement, surgery went well and I had a GREAT group of nurses and didn’t feel rushed to check out of the hospital. My comfort was their top priority. HIGHLY recommend Dr. Yam and Providence.
in Kennewick, WA |
I had lost height, developed a poor posture, and suffered from increasing back pain. Dr. Yam replaced my lower 5 discs with synthetic discs and pinned and screwed it all together to repair the problem. He did a great job and though it takes awhile to get through the pain and rehab, I am so much better off now. I liked the atmosphere and care that I received at St. Mary's Hospital at Walla Walla and would highly recommend this for those who suffer from severe back pain...... Duane Garner
in Pendleton, OR |
Office is chaotic and unorganized, appointment wait times are unreasonable , scheduling 6 months out. Appointment was reschedules 3 times after a 2 month wait to get in. I would encourage anyone to do some research and choose another provider, even if you have to travel. We were able to get an appointment in Bend OR with an equally qualified neurosurgeon within 2 weeks? If you're in that much pain it's worth it. Will never recommend . He may think he has a corner on the market but he's wrong.
I'm sorry that your husband wasn't able to get in quickly enough and wish you well with the surgeon in Bend. Happy to take him back if they don't meet your expectations in the end. I am aware of your concerns with the wait times. I work 6 days a week now and really can't do more. We hope to add more high quality providers in the future.
in Walla Walla, Wa |
I have had 2 back surgeries, both performed by Dr. Yam. I don't think I could ever trust another doctor with care for my back. He is kind and compassionate. He listened to my concerns and explained the different options for care in a way that was easily understood. He even went as far as to contact my family in another part of the state to explain my procedure to them and calm their fears. He is amazing and his team is phenomenal as well. Thank you Dr. Yam for taking such great care of me.
Thanks for the feedback. It means a lot to have your trust and appreciation. I hope you will continue to do well for years to come.
walla walla, wa |
Good listener, cares about the results of your surgery, and answers questions in a manner easy for patients to understand.
in Pendleton, OR |
Lucky to have such a talented Dr. so close to my home
in Joseph Oregon |
Great Dr.!!!!! Answered all my questions,and has a great bed side manner!!!! He is very busy so getting an appt took some time but we'll worth it!
in Walla Walla, WA |
Great surgical results. No arrogance. You feel like he has all the time in the world to listen. Very positive. Staff is kind.
in Kennewick, WA |
I've had 2 back fusions and they both have been successful. I have issues which make my case more complicated( osteoporosis, degenerative spine and osteo arthritis) but Dr Yam has met the challenge with a level of professionalism and competency. He takes time to listen and has great bedside manner. You've got to trust your neurosurgeon when you put your life on the line, and I trust him with my life. I have and will continue to recommend him to others.
in La Grande, OR |
I think Dr. Yam isn't a Doctor that wants to take time out of his day to review a MRI. As I was told I didn't need surgery on my back. To where the Laser spine Institute in Tampa Bay Fla determed from my first MRI I did with the results of a torn disc a herinedted disc and bone spurs. Poor Doctor that doesn't take time
I am sorry that you feel this way but unlike Laser Spine doctors, I personally review every referral I receive. If I don't have the right tool, procedure, or option for you, I share that with your doctor and try to get you to the right person and place so you can get help.
Have you seen Dr. David Yam, MD?

Visit Dr. Yam