Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. David Whiddon, MD
A native of Tampa, Dr. Whiddon graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science degree. He obtained his MD from the Medical College of Virginia. He completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Virginia. He then traveled to Boston, Massachusetts and served as an Otto E. Aufranc Total Joint Fellow at the Tufts-New England Baptist Hospital, where he was extensively trained in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the hip and knee. He studied tissue-preserving hip replacement, computer-assisted surgery, and complex hip and knee reconstructions. During his fellowship, Dr. Whiddon performed more than 600 total hip and knee replacements and revisions. He has broad experience with the various surgical techniques and implants that have been specifically designed for patients of all ages and every activity level. Dr. Whiddon practiced Orthopaedic Surgery in the Navy and is proud of his 13 years of military service. While on active duty, he cared for the men and women of the Armed Forces, their families, and retirees. Following completion of his active duty service, he had the opportunity to develop a brand-new orthopaedic total joint program in Pennsylvania. He introduced the direct anterior total hip replacement, fast-track joint replacement, and his accelerated recovery program to the patients of south-central Pennsylvania. After a twenty-year absence, he was exhilarated to finally return to his home state to join the expert team of physicians at the Orthopaedic Associates of West Florida. When he is not on call on the weekend, he enjoys spending time with his family fishing and boating and enjoying the great outdoors.

2044 Trinity Oaks Blvd Ste 110

Trinity, FL 34655

Dr. David Whiddon, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Whiddon

My goal is to  provide the highest quality of comprehensive Orthopaedic Surgical Care available anywhere to individuals in Pasco and Pinellas County and beyond.  In many cases, surgery is the best treatment for debilitating arthritis. However, it is my goal to explain all the options for treating arthritis and the benefits of both operative and non-operative treatment. There is a lot of valuable patient information available today that can answer many questions a patient may have, or help to calm some concerns they may have. However, I believe that my staff and I may be your most valuable resource for any thoughts or concerns you have.

It is my goal to take the time to not only understand your orthopaedic problem but to also understand your goals and desires. That foundation permits us to determine the best course of action and balance the pros and cons of the possible options.

Dr. Whiddon's Experience

Dr. Whiddon's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery

• Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Runner's Knee
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Traumatic Arthropathy

• Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Hip Arthroscopy

• Naval Med Center Portsmouth
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • New England Baptist Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Whiddon has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Whiddon does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whiddon and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Whiddon's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whiddon to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Whiddon's Performance
in St. Pete, FL |
After being in 2 car crashes where my hips were damged each time, Dr. Whiddon was the only doctor of 4 that I saw who didn't just want to cut me open and replace my hips. He explained a conservative approach, minimal surgery, and therapy to address labral tears. He also cautioned that it may not work. 18 months later I walk straight and pain free. I have to do exercises but that's minimal. Dr. Whiddon is an expert, truly cares, and let me keep the legs God gave me! God bless you Dr. Whiddon!
in New Port Richey, FL |
Dr. Whiddon is an EXCELLENT Surgeon!!!!!! He and his team are all outstanding. I would Highly recommend Dr. Whiddon.
in New Port Richey, FL |
I am a 75 yr old man who received a new HIP from Dr W. Dr W spoke to me in terms I could understand explained all the possibilities, his technique, the op, and met with me several times before the op including a phone call a day before the operation to see how I was doing Dr. W wears a bow tie, and is both scholarly and professionally adept! I really don't know what wearing a bow tie has to do with anything medical, but it helps to allay any fears one might have. Dr W is a TREASURE!!!
in New Port Richey, FL |
My experience with Dr. Whiddon has been and continues to be excellent. I was so surprised and very pleased to have a call from Dr. Whiddon the night before my surgery. I have always felt that his staff works as a team throughout the process. I have and would continue to recommend Dr. Whiddon to my friends and family.
Seminole, FL |
Horrible! See anyone but him! Awful experience!
I am sorry that your experience was not satisfactory. This is clearly not consistent with our usual patient experience. I always strive to offer sound medical advice based on my education and experience. Occasionally we are not able to give a patient what they are asking for and it is best that they seek care elsewhere. I wish you luck in finding a solution to your issue.
in Trinity, FL |
Every day, all of us take for granted the simple gift of the ability to walk. It is only when we lose this gift, that we experience a whole different perspective. I was very fortunate to meet you, and learn firsthand how unique you are as a surgeon and as an individual. I can only say thank you for restoring me to what I once was, and now approach life with a second chance.
in HUDSON, FL |
Having retired from being a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse for nearly 30 years, my knees were nearly worn out (bone on bone). To say the total replacement of my left knee was an easy experience would be a bit silly, but Dr Whiddon made the operation and recovery very easy. After 6 months I have no pain in my knee and I am able to climb stairs and walk on the beach. I highly recommend Dr. Whiddon and his staff.
in New Port Richey, FL |
Dr Whiddon is a fantastic surgeon. I have been pain free since my hip replacement last year.
in New Port Richey, FL |
Just a wonderful doctor. Very good bedside manner. Just a wonderful experience. I was walking on the second day after surgery without . I would recommend Dr whiddon to anyone who has a problem with hip pain
in North Port, FL |
Awesome Dr. And Medical Assistant!!!!!
in Trinity, FL |
Great experience both before and after hip surgery. The entire staff is very friendly, courteous, and professional.
in Palm Harbor, FL |
I can?t overstate the comfort level I felt with Dr. Whiddon. He took plenty of time with me and was patient with all my concerns over hip replacement.The day before surgery i was feeling quite anxious when out of the blue he called to tell me he was ready for the surgery and was excited for me because he felt we would have a great outcome. What doctor does that? I felt so much more at ease.I had a great outcome pain free, walking w/o walker or cane after 4 weeks.Would give 10 stars if I could!
Have you seen Dr. David Whiddon, MD?

See our Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialist at Tampa Community Hospital

Visit Dr. Whiddon

Dr. Whiddon accepts 10 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
    Group Plan PPO