Dr. David Tom, MD

Dr. David Tom, MD

Pain Medicine  |
Male

Dr. David Tom is one of the most respected, accomplished and highly trained pain physicians in Arizona. Dr. Tom earned his Medical Degree from the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) in 2000. Since that time, He has trained extensively in pain medicine, anesthesiology and internal medicine at some of the best medical centers in the United States. Dr. Tom is a triple ACGME (American College of Graduate Medical Education) board certified physician in anesthesiology, pain medicine and internal medicine. It is extremely rare for a physician to be ACGME board certified in three specialties. His extensive training has given him wealth of experience and provides him with a perspective on pain management and the overall healthcare of patients that is unique among pain doctors. Dr. Tom exclusively treats patients with acute and chronic pain. He is an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of painful conditions of the neck, mid-back, low back, joints, muscles, vasculature and nerves. Dr. Tom focuses his efforts on keeping up with the most widely accepted and evidence based treatments available. He is compassionate doctor who seeks to reduce suffering through comprehensive diagnostic testing, individualized and multidisciplinary treatment options, patient education and involvement, minimally invasive procedures, and the use of the most current and up to date technologies available. Dr. Tom has been practicing pain management in the Valley for more than seven years. In terms of procedural and technical skill, Dr. Tom would be considered at the peak of his clinical career. Doctors who have been practicing between 5 and 15 years have current and up-to-date training as well as the physical coordination and stamina to complete procedures efficiently, safely and using the latest technology and techniques. Dr. Tom completed his ACGME accredited Interventional Pain Medicine fellowship and Anesthesiology Residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Prior to pursuing Anesthesiology training, he practiced as a board-certified internal medicine physician and hospitalist in California and Texas.

NovaSpine Pain Institute

• Ameriben
  • American Family Insurance
  • American Republic
  • AmeriPlan
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • Arizona Medical Network

Learn about Dr. Tom

My care philosophy focuses on a few principles:

• To identify the the source of the pain and treat the underlying problem to reduce or eliminate pain and suffering.  Not simply cover up the pain with medications.
  • Provide compassionate and responsive care not only through my interactions with patients, but through my staff as a whole.
  • To inform patients clearly about their diagnosis and treatment options - as a great treatment plan relies on effective communication between patients and doctors.

I use comprehensive diagnostic testing, individualized and multidisciplinary treatment options, non-opiate medications, pain medications, patient education, minimally invasive procedures, and the use of cutting edge technologies to reduce pain and suffering.

Dr. Tom's Experience

Dr. Tom's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Pain Medicine

• Chronic Pain
  • Degenerative Spine Disorders
  • Leg Pain
  • Neck Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Pain

• Spinal Nerve Block
  • Synvisc® Injection
  • Thoracic Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Thoracic Facet Joint Injection

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• UC Irvine
  • University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2008
  • University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2009

Dr. Tom does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tom and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Tom's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tom to family and friends
Dr. Tom's Performance
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Tom has helped me with my lower back and sciatic pain and also has helped with treating my arthritis in both of my knees. Great doctor.
Chandler, AZ |
I found Dr,Tom to be the answer to stopping almost 2 years of constant pain. We worked out a plan and through his injection techniques I have found a much needed respite from pain that plagued me waking and sleeping. Dr. Tom and all of his staff were professional and caring. I had had other injections that did not achieve results and in short order left me again feeling pain.
in chandler,az |
Absolutely amazing. Over 10 years of arthritic pain gone.
in PHX, AZ |
Dr. Tom is very efficient, and effective with his treatment. He has wonderful bedside manner and has changed my life! I never knew pain could effect so many aspects of your life. He has helped my neck pain dramatically and grateful he loves what he does and helped me. Thank you! You cant say this often any more but he is 5 star in every category along with his amazing staff! Highly recommend!
in queen Creek |
He injected for pain in my SI joint and left hip. 95% relief afer 3 days. Couldn't even sleep on my left side or turn in bed, nor get out of a chair without pain! Feel great and back to exercise and normal work activities.
in Mesa, AZ |
After my third injection I am feeling 100% Fantastic! Even lost 5 additional pounds, as i am able to be more active. Would recommend Dr. Tom and his staff who is suffering from back pain!
in Tucson, AZ |
Dr. Tom's office was extremely professional. His program for my epidurals was great. Other providers could not seem to find out what was wrong with me until I came to see Dr. Tom. Dr. Tom provided me with the information I needed and did not just give me medication. He identified all my problems through an MRI. Dr. Tom and his staff are great, I would highly recommend my friends and family to see Dr. Tom
in Tucson, AZ |
Dr. Tom and Jessica are awesome providers. I wish we would have found him long ago.
in Tucson, AZ |
I found that Dr. Tom took great care of me and listened to me. I was very pleased. He was very professional.
in Chandler, AZ |
I have my life back thanks to Dr. Tom. Highly recommend.
in Tucson, AZ |
After 7 years of trying almost every attempt for pain relief, I came to Dr. Tom. Within the first few injections I was able to do all the activities I could not do in years. The staff is great and Dr. Tom himself is fantastic. I highly recommend anyone to come see Dr. Tom.
in Tucson, AZ |
Love the fact that drtom and Jessica listen to my concern's. Greatly appreciate them.
Would recommend friends and family to Dr tom and Jessica NP
in Tucson, AZ |
I would highly recommend patients to Dr. Tom, he has changed my life.
in AZ |
Dr. Ton and office is more interested in $$$ than patient's health. He recommended and performed procedures that nothing to do with cure but recommending more visits after visits. After many operations, it did nothing to help back pain.
in Arizona City, Arizona |
Dr. Tom is a great doctor.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Wasn't able to help with pain, unable to find the right spot for injections despite having MRI, poor records, doesn't follow up, do not recomend.
in New York, NY |
I came in pain that was driving me insane. In two simple treatments my problems have one away. I am a 70 year old man who feels 20 thanks to Dr tom.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Tom is an physician that is easy to talk to. Is intelligent and educated in all aspects of pain treatment and keeps up to date with all pain advances. He explains proceedures so that you know the what and why's of your treatment. I have complete confidence in him. I already have recommended him.
in Davison, Michigan |
Dr. Tom was recommended to me by a friend, who is a patient of Dr. Tom. I have received outstanding results since I have been a patient of Dr. Tom. His process of identifying the problem with my back and then defining a course of treatment was right on target.
in Mesa, AZ |
He and his staff were very nice and easy to work with. Making appts., checking in, and working with Dr. Tom was very easy.
in mesa az |
Dr tom is a great doctor and would recommend him to everyone.
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr. Tom was highly recommended by my PCP. I am elated that I made the choice to visit his office because after only two well placed shots I was back hiking and enjoying the outdoors. Prior to my visits to his office I walked hunched over for thirty plus days. For future back care I will happily return to Dr. Tom's office.
in Minnesota City, MN |
Definitely would recommend Dr Tom to friends and family.
New York, NY |
Dr Tom is well experienced doctor. I walked into his clinic with great pain at my first visit and walked out at last with little or no pain. I wish many more doctors were like him, questioning all questions and be very sincere with what to expect in course of the treatment.
in New York, NY |
Dr Tom is a great doctor. A little work needed on phone system. But great overall!
in Gilbert, AZ |
Is extremely nervous and does not understand the current prescribing guidelines for pain patient. His office staff is extremely rude and has the vocabulary of a second grade student who is chewing on four pieces of chewing gum. They can hardly contain their disdain at having to deal with someone who is on narcotics therapy for chronic pain. I would not go here if my life depended on it again.
in Chandler, AZ |
He is great when I ask questions and takes the time to answer all the questions that I have.
Wonderful office.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Tom is has been so helpful during a very tough time in my life, dealing with pain everyday. He suggests alternative options if something isn't working for me. I'm very happy with both Dr. Tom and his wonderful staff.
Cares about his patients
in New York, NY |
Takes the least advasesive approach to reaching the goal of solving the problem.......in my case it has worked very well.
in Gilbert, AZ |
I would definitely refer friends and family to Dr. Tom. He is very knowledable and answered all of my questions and concerns. He is very patient and understanding.
Dr Tom really listens to your issues and works to find the best way to treat them. He is always professional and understanding. Dr Tom is well informed about all the new stuff as far as treatment. He is the only Pain Dr I have had that has ever truly made my situation better. Thanks Dr Tom
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Tom has made my quality of life so much better. I almost feel like a normal person again. I would NOT go to anyone else. He and his staff are excellent. I recommend him highly.
in Gilbert, AZ |
I have been a patient of Dr Tom for over 2 years. He is professional and has great care for his patients. I have referred him to my co-workers and family and friends. Everyone who has come to his office has nothing but great things to say. I have had 2 other pain/spine doctors in the past 10 years. Dr.Tom and his staff have changed my life. Not just with my pain management, but they all care about patients as a whole!
in Maricopa, AZ |
Very friendly very skilled very understanding. I have had weird set of issues and he's been great.informative.Everyone's above and beyond,beyond,beyond
Gilbert, AZ |
very easy to talk to
in Mesa AZ |
THe fact he listens to me...he actually seems interested in my issues. Even tho he seems irregularly and has a very busy schedule.
in New York, NY |
Thinks he is great and compassionate towards his patients.
in New York, NY |
Likes the way Dr explains.
Very happy
in Gilbert, AZ |
Very compassionate and knowledgable.
in Gilbert, AZ |
He was considerate and very compassonate
in Chandler, AZ |
i have been seeing Dr Tom since he worked at the Core and followed him to his own practice. i also have my ortho dr that recommends him as well. i trust him 100 %.
Have you seen Dr. David Tom, MD?
Are you Dr. Tom?

• American Republic
  • AmeriPlan
    Discount Card
    Motorola Health Plans
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    American Indian Health Plan
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • Arizona PHCS
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) PPO
  • AZ Health Concepts
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Banner Health
  • Banner Physician Hospital Organization (BPHO)
  • Bashas Benefit Trust
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Benefit Concepts
    Cigna POS
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
  • City of Mesa Health Plan
  • CNA
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • Compusys
  • Galaxy Health Network
  • Gila River HealthCare
  • Global Assistance
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • MetLife
  • Midwest Life
  • Monumental Life Insurance Company
    IHP Discount Card
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP)
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP) PPO
    RAN/AMN
    ValuePoint
  • National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE)
  • National Care Network
  • PHCS
    PHCS PPO
  • Phoenix Health Plan
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
    Phoenix Health Plan (w/prior authorization)
  • Physicians Mutual
    Select Med Select Med
  • Sierra Choice
    Sierra Choice POS
  • Sliding Scale
  • Southwest Service Administrators, Inc.
  • Standard Insurance Company