Dr. David Spivey, MD

Pain Medicine •  Male • Age 68

Dr. Spivey

Preferred Pain Management

2912 Maplewood Ave Winston Salem, NC 27103

Dr. David Spivey, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Winston Salem, NC. Dr. Spivey has more experience with Pain Management and Spine than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital and Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Spivey to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

See similar Pain Medicine Specialists in Winston Salem

• Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Spivey accepts

Dr. Spivey accepts the following insurance:

1 disciplinary action Found
  • Disciplinary action in another state (9/16/2016)View details
1 board action Found
  • Substance Abuse (8/4/2020)View details
No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Pain Management

Pain management specialists diagnose and treat pain and pain-related conditions through procedures including medication, electrical stimulation, physical therapy, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture.Compare with other Pain Management specialists.

Typically treats 72% more than similar doctors

Chronic Neck Pain

Dr. Spivey treats Chronic Neck Pain more than 98% of their peers

Dr. Spivey treats this condition more than 98% of their peers

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Typically treats 68% more than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 15 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Low Back Pain

Dr. Spivey treats Low Back Pain more than 96% of their peers

Dr. Spivey treats this condition more than 96% of their peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Spivey treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 95% of their peers

Dr. Spivey treats this condition more than 95% of their peers

• Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Pelvic Fracture
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Polyneuropathy

Dr. Spivey's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Spivey

2.3

Dr. Spivey?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (14)
  • Appointment scheduling (13)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (13)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (30)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (29)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (29)
I have been a patient of Dr Spivey for SEVERAL years and have nothing but high marks for him. He has always been friendly and ready to spend the necessary time with you and answer any questions you may have . In fact , everyone, Michael his P.A., the receptionists, the nurses -- I could not ask for anyone to be anymore accommodating. I would highly recommend anyone with pain issues to consider Preferred Pain Management for assistance. V Prim Aug 5, 2020
Aug 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I was a patient of Anne Thomas at Prefered Pain MGT and everything was wonderful my pain was finally manageable at a 2 on a 10 scale. Then I had another injury and Dr. David Spivey got involved. He talked me in to a Kyphoplasty it was like he was selling me a new car. He said that it was pain free and I would not even remember the procedure. He said that legaly he had to charge me the required 20% but as soon as my insurance paid off he would forgive my bill & I wouldn't be charged anything. During the procedure I was held down on a folding medical cart that was in his store room by 2-3 of his people I was screaming bloody murder he would not stop it felt like he was drilling a hole in my spine. After the procedure I was stood up. I wobbled out of the store rm and there were no patients in the waiting rm when there are usually 4-6 waiting. I asked Dr S. for additional pain relief he said I would need any. I was in agony I couldn't get in touch with anyone but a answering machine.
Jan 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Dr. David Spivey and all staff are knowlwdgeable and warm. Before I saw DR. Spivey I was @ a 7 or 8 on the 10 point pain scale. Once I started treament with Him, I am now down to an average of 2 or 3 on the same pain scale. I have had several procedures , most recent I received a neurostimulator implant, this has worked like a miracle on my neck and back pain. I take very little medication compared to what I one time was taking, I am so Grateful to Dr. Spivey and His wonderful staff!
becky sullivan – Dec 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Dr. Spivey has always been very professional and does a great job of explaining my treatments and getting me in and out promptly. Also the staff is so friendly and extremely competent.
Oct 25, 2019
Excellent medical care..!!!
Oct 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Great service. All the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Oct 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I have read some of the reviews for Dr. Spivey and his staff on this site and almost had to wonder if they were about the wrong doctor. I don't know if the majority of the reviews were about the Highpoint office or if the reviews were from people that were just seeking pain meds and pissed off they didn't get them or they had to take a urine test to do so. I have been taking my mother to Dr. Spivey's Greensboro office for over two years. They have treated my mother for back, hip and knee pain as well as degenerative arthritis. During that time I have accompanied my mother into the patient rooms as well as the treatment rooms (every time!). I have never found the staff, receptionists and Dr.Spivey to be anything other than friendly and caring professionals. The facilities have always been clean and well maintained. I love and care for my mother with all my heart and being. I would never take her to a physician's office as described in the other reviews on this site.
Rusty J./Joan H. in Liberty – Oct 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Rudest, mean tempered group of people I’ve ever experienced. Not a smile from receptionist,nurse, PA or doctor. They all look miserable, and make you feel the same. Stay away. They treat you like you less than.......plus there was always pee everywhere in the bathroom.....worst experience ever anywhere
Dec 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
not a compassinate doctor at all. does not want to hear what you have to say. I always felt like he didn't beleive that I was actually in pain.
Nov 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I would NOT recommend anyone to Dr. Spivey. They don't want to have anything to do with you if you have Aetna Medicare and have a disability. They would not schedule a follow-up visit to answer any of my questions from EMG/Nerve Conduction Velocity study. They will not allow family members into examining room so there is no witness to how he talks to his patients. I was sure hoping this place would be able to help me cause I am suffering. Shame on this place. Wish I had a Positive experience!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Ray – Jul 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I would leave a 0 rating, if possible. Dr. Spivey is an admitted drug addict that lost his CA medical license and operates under a restricted NC license. He is subject to random drug testing himself. He treats his patients terribly and will not allow family members into examining room so there is no witness to how he talks to his patience. It's a shame the rest of his staff are great. But this Dr. should not be allowed to practice anywhere.
Jul 04, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I would NOT recommend anyone to this office. I have an issue with pain in my tailbone. Dr. Spivey saw me for a consult, he suspected it was the ligaments in that area and wanted to do an injection. He ordered an MRI to rule anything else out. The MRI actually showed a hyperintense lesion (cyst) in the bone. Instead of speaking with me directly he had his nurse or assistant Donna contact me to just schedule the injection. He would not schedule a follow up visit to answer any of my questions.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Apr 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Dr. Spivey and his office could not have been more helpful. He was able to help diagnose my problem and get me on my way to recovery.
Patrick Sizemore in Clemmons NC – Mar 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I have FMS, degenerative disc disease, bilateral carpal tunnel, central sensitization & facet joint arthropathy. Dr. Spivey & the PPM team successfully diagnosed the last four of these. His treatment (radio frequency ablation) has enabled me to walk without canes again! I have gone from being 100% disabled by constant pain to working full time. The difference that's made in quality and joy of life is priceless. I unreservedly recommend Dr. Spivey & Preferred Pain Management.
Cecil M in Wilkesboro, NC – Dec 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I had degenerative discs in my neck, and physical therapy wasn’t working anymore. My neurosurgeon wanted to fuse my discs, but I said no. After doing months of research on Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), Dr. Spivey is the only doctor I found that does PRP injections. He did PRP injections in my neck, and knowing it would take time before I notice a difference, after four weeks I had my life back. No more pain in my neck or shooting pain in my shoulder and arm. I am pain free. Thank you Dr. Spivey,
Chris Elias in Winston Salem, NC – Nov 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
If u want a Dr that looks at the computer screen the whole time and only ask questions from there. Or who doesn't care about past treatments u have had this is th Dr for u
Lexington nc – Aug 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I have read the other reviews and can't believe some of the negative comments. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Dr. Spivey. I have seen him many times. I find him to be professional, intelligent, friendly,and caring. I have never had an issue with him. I have also never had a problem with him being willing to treat my pain with whatever is the best solution based on my symptoms and his professional knowledge. He is always in a good mood and I like his sense of humor too! LOL
Sherron – Apr 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
I started seeing Dr Spivey and 2014 for back pain and sciatic pain. He ruled out nerve issues and a blood clots. After talking to two back surgeons I went with the lumbar decompression surgery. But Dr Spivey did the injections and did his best to keep me out of pain so I could continue to work. It was the best decision I made. He is a very upfront and honest and some people can't take it. So if you don't want a solution and you just want meds then no he may not be the right doctor for you!
Melissa Ellison in Clemmons, NC – Feb 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
If you are in real legitimate pain, do not go to him! He does not believe you at all unless, he says"he has proof" from other doctors. Even with that he assumes you are drug seeking. After providing him with all the documents he wanted he told me, "You don't look like you are in pain take something over the counter." Due to stomach problems I can't. He has lost all compassion and is in it for the money now.
Winston Salem, NC – Jan 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?
Have gone to PPM for years. Always hear patients complain in the waiting room but never experienced a problem personally until recently. Chad has always been great but Dr Spivey is different story. Waiting room has slowly emptied out over time to the point I doubt PPM will be in business much longer.
Finished in Winston Salem – Nov 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Spivey, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Spivey?

At Preferred Pain Management & Spine Care, PA, we feel each individual is the best judge of his or her own pain. Our medical staff takes a multidisciplinary approach in addressing your pain management concerns, and we work with you to determine t...Read more

• Pain Medicine