Dr. David Shaskey, MD

RheumatologyMaleAge 60

Rheumatology

Dr. David Shaskey, MD is a Rheumatology Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT. He is affiliated with St. Mark's Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. David Shaskey, MD

Granger Medical Clinic

999 E Murray Holladay Rd Ste 201 Salt Lake City, UT 84117
Telehealth services available

Telehealth available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Rheumatology Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Utah

Frequently Treated by Dr. Shaskey

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Shaskey treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Shaskey treats other conditions, please contact the office at (801) 262-1771.

Osteoporosis & Screening

Osteoporosis specialists diagnose and treat conditions characterized by low bone density and bone weakness, such as osteoporosis and osteopenia.Compare with other Osteoporosis & Screening specialists.

Dr. Shaskey is experienced in the area of Osteoporosis & Screening. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 2 conditions and procedures

• Chondrocalcinosis
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus
  • Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) Scan
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Felty's Syndrome
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Joint Fluid Test
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lupus
  • Malaise and Fatigue
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Hands
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Osteoporosis Screening
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
  • Psoriatic Arthritis
  • Quantitative Sensory Test (QST)
  • Raynaud's Disease
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Temporal Arteritis
  • Trigger Finger
  • Ultrasound, Musculoskeletal

Dr. Shaskey accepts

Dr. Shaskey accepts the following insurance:

Altius Health Plans

Dr. Shaskey's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Shaskey

2.6

Dr. Shaskey

My insurance changed, so I switched to Dr. Shaskey. He started my appt by asking why I was on such a low dose of plaquenil to manage my RA. When I replied I was on the max does recommended for my body weight (any more could cause blindness), he said the doctors who wrote those recommendations didn't have any real data on whether the drug caused blindness, so they set a low threshold so they wouldn't get sued. He then insisted I go on a blood pressure medication to improve my circulation, despite the fact that my resting BP is insanely low at 85/55 (his MA had just taken it to confirm this) and despite my protests that when I had tried them twice before, they left me dizzy or even fainting, so I didn't want to go on one. He lied and assured me I wouldn't have any of those side effects. 2 weeks after starting the meds, I fainted and broke a rib. He's now in jail for aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, intoxication, and assault/threat of violence of a police officer. Some doctor!
Jan 24, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr Shaskey walked into my appt in an unsteady manner, & seemed confused. He was unable to answer any of my questions. In fact, he called me back later that same day, asking what we discussed. My next visit went pretty much the same way. I do not recommend this doctor. I've seen other teenie reviews also complaining about his professionalism. So I know it's not just me that he's done this to. He's very unprofessional. Run in the opposite direction, as fast as you can!
K.J. Cooper – Oct 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr Sharskey was very knowledgeable, direct, spoke easily using language easily understood regarding my illnesses. Readily answered all questions. I recommend him highly. The problem I couldn't get past was his MA who easily was dishonest to cover her numerous mistakes and I did not feel I could trust her even though I found Dr Shaskey to be an excellent Dr. I can not tolerate dishonesty in staff (which seems to be a real problem) so I continue to search.
Mar 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Almost killed me. Prescribed prednisone 60mg daily dose for more than two years and refused to withdraw when I told him it was killing me. One of the worst doctors I know. I am a retired registered nurse.
George Parker, RN retired – Oct 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
I find Dr. Shaskey is a gem. Both my husband & I both see him for autoimmune diseases. I was in a wheelchair 1 1/2 yrs ago with symptoms from my Behcet's disease. I am currently walking without assistance, on very low dose of steroids, which was always the goal. He is personable, friendly & kind. I feel he has helped both of us get much of our lives back.
Brandy P. – Jun 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
I see Doctor Shaskey full time. He is extremely intelligent. He considers all factors when caring for you. He looks at all possibilities. He is to the point, but you know were he is and were you are in the care process. FIVE stars for him and his staff.
Michael Edvalson – Jun 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr. Shaskey is, in my opinion, a very good doctor. He is pretty blunt in his approach but he has a lot of experience and was very knowledgeable. I came to him in pain a year ago and he immediately put me on a treatment plan and, ever since then, my quality of life has much improved. I would definitely recommend him.
Linda – Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Terrible excuse for a doctor
Sep 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
He came across as arrogant, unsympathetic, totally inconvenienced by me and my family. He didn't seem knowledgeable about specific things other doctors had acknowledged for me; or he really just didn't want to be there and didn't care. I've never ruled out a provider so quickly as this I was able to with this one.
Jun 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Great, he explains things well, is thorough with labs before making diagnosis, answered questions in a way I could understand. Receptionist is great, not a long wait. Great experience
Apr 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
For over twenty years David has been my go to doctor for all sports related injuries. Beyond his outstanding resume and experience working with youth and professional athletes, he is the most forthright and professional physician I have ever encountered. While playing college soccer in Southern California I often consulted David about my injuries, always receiving better diagnoses and treatments than those provided by my University's staffed physicians and pts. I cannot recommend David enough!
Alex Scott in CA – Sep 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr Starkey Great doctor, straight and to the point, willing to aggressively treat my condition to get my arthritis under control. As their is a shortage of Rheumatologists in the area they are all overwhelmed with the number of patients. As with any specialist getting an early appointment is key due to so many patient arriving late it throws all appointments later and out of their control. I have had several Rheumatologists in the last decade Shaskey is my Favorite.
Warren Lewis in OGDEN – Feb 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr. Shaskey is very good. He tells like it is. He asks the correct questions to determine what you need. I have been seeing him since 2002. My arthritis is stable right now. I do have him to thank for that.
Allyn Critchley in Salt Lake City, UT – Nov 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr. Shaskey was agitated, impatient, rude and insulting. He brought me to tears. I finally asked him if I had done something wrong and his response was he didn't like the way my appointment got booked and the disorganization of my chart. He kept repeating that my case was too complicated and just referred me back to my EN&T. He told me to book an early morning appointment about the arthritis in my hands (not why I was there) and the assistant wouldn't book it. I'd waited 6 months to see him.
Cindy in Salt Lake City, UT – Mar 09, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Dr. Shaskey is blunt, and tells you exactly what you need to hear, without sugar coating. He is an oldschool doctor knowledgeable in modern medicine. He may seem a little rough (swears are not uncommon, but not overused), but he means very well, and knows what he is doing. Working in a clinic, he is frequently busy, and it's not unusual for appointments to start later than originally intended. His staff is very wonderful as well.
rgalvz in Salt Lake City, UT – Jan 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?
Lack of professionalism, curt and abrasive bedside manner, inappropriate language, argumentative, exceptionally long wait times, typically an hour, often longer from scheduled appointments without any communication from staff that he was running late.
urbanutah in Salt Lake City, UT – Jan 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Shaskey, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shaskey?