Dr. David Schopick, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry | Male

David J Schopick MD 118 Maplewood Ave Portsmouth, NH 03801 Get Directions
Dr. David Schopick, MD

Dr. David Schopick, MD is a child & adolescent psychiatry doctor who practices in Portsmouth, NH. He is 62 years old and has been practicing for 34 years. Dr. Schopick is affiliated with Portsmouth Regional Hospital.

...See Less

Dr. Schopick's Experience

See how Dr. Schopick's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Schopick

Dr. Schopick accepts 4 insurance carriers

Dr. Schopick is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Schopick has admitting privileges.

Dr. Schopick's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Schopick to family and friends
2.5
Dr. Schopick's Performance
Union City, NJ |
I had been dealing with many issues that been negatively effecting my life for many, many years. Once I had built the fortitude to follow through with acceptance and positive change, Dr. Schopick was nothing short of the Medical Professional I had hoped for. His compassion, effectiveness, and safe approach has allowed me to improve so many aspects of my life I did not realize needed improvement. He is very dedicated to his patients. Thank you Doc!
in Dover |
I had been encouraged for much of my life by family, teachers, etc. to be tested for ADHD. Stubbornly (and offended) I ignored them and continued to struggle academically, professionally and in my day to day. I finally accepted that it was really interfering with my life reluctantly scheduled my an appointment. Dr. Schopick removed the stigma and helped me realize that life could be more manageable and that sometimes we need a little help to reach our potential. Cannot thank him enough.
groveland |
When our teenager was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, we needed a psychiatrist to be able to handle the medication management portion of the treatment plan. Dr. Schopick has certainly proven to be a vital and integral part of this plan, as he has managed to bring our child back into a place where functioning within the realm of daily life has become a reality. Dedicated and surprisingly intuitive, he is able to perceive, and draw out emotions that would otherwise be kept hidden.
in Portsmouth, NH |
I've had serious adhd symptoms my whole life, but had never talked to a professional. At 30 yrs old, I was very hesitant to talk to get help, but finally decided I wanted to see if there was something that could improve my quality of life. Dr. Schopick was receptive, intelligent, and genuinely wanted to help. I felt he was easy to talk to, had real insight, and a straightforward, logical approach to therapy and improving mental health. I'm very happy I decided to see him.
New York, NY |
Dr. Schopick is an excellent doctor. I have been seeing him for at least 3 years now and feel very much in control of my mental health now and Dr. S has a lot to do with this. He's learned my behavioral patterns and knows when and how to treat me in "crisis mode" and then how to get back into "maintenance mode." He is incredibly knowledgeable about the medications he prescribes and what they do to your body. His office is quiet, comfortable and relaxing. I would highly recommend him.
North Hampton, NH |
In my family's experience, Dr. Schopick has shown himself a sensitive and effective therapist for my teenage granddaughter (her uncle and I are guardians). He recently very carefully calibrated a new medication regimen that has improved our her quality of life, and that has been felt in our home-life, as well. On top of this, we were able to get in touch with the doctor during a holiday weekend; being able to speak to the doctor about a new medication on a holiday was a relief!
in Dover, NH |
Dr. Schopick has been a life saver for me. I have treatment resistant depression and anxiety. He has been seeing me for many years and has been there through it all. He is professional and up to date on the numerous medications and is also very humorous. I never feel rushed when seeing him and he is a great support to me.
Portsmouth, NH |
Dr. Schopick has taken a holistic approach to my treatment over the past year. He is the FIRST psychiatrist I have seen in my lifetime (20+ years of mental health treatment) who actually had a plan to get me off of medications. He was also the first provider to suggest alternative solutions - natural supplements, exercise, etc. - for my treatment instead of just pushing pharmaceuticals. He genuinely cares for his patients and wants them to improve their lives.
in Exeter, NH |
Dr. Schopick is an excellent doctor. I went to him after another doctor had gotten me addicted to pain killers. I did some research and found Dr. Schopick. He was excellent. He got me right in and help me every step of the way. He helped me slowly get off of the pain meds and get my normal life back. He never made me feel uncomfortable or bad about my situation. I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who needs help in any facet of their lives.
Atkinson, NH |
My experience with Dr, Schopick has been very positive. He is very kind, knowledgeable and most importantly helpful. His office is comfortable and conveniently located. I have never felt rushed through and appointment. I highly recommend him.
New Hampshire |
Dr. Schopick has helped me turn my life around. I've been seeing him for almost three years and he's fantastic. He not only listens with empathy, but he always discusses alternatives to my treatment, gives me plenty of options, and takes an active interest in my well being. I feel comfortable that I could call him in an emergency and he would help me. And his office admin Vicki is amazing- she's friendly and is always helpful and very quick to respond if I have a question or concern.
Newmarket, NH |
Schopick lacks compassion and empathy. I can't imagine anyone feeling trust and care with this man. Seek help elsewhere and read other reviews about his bedside manner and about his incident several years ago.
Eindhoven, NB |
I experienced a lot of trauma and losses in my life. I was depressed and having panic attacks. Dr. Schopick added Prozac which brought my symptoms under control. As soon as we saw improvement, he started to taper me off other medications. I feel a lot better and it’s great to be on fewer meds. He has explained that after I've been stable for awhile, we can eventually try to taper off all meds. Very good rapport. He's courteous and respectful. Recommend him highly.
New Durham, NH |
Dr. Schopick and his staff are extremely flexible in both scheduling and in finding a treatment option that fits the individual best. He encourages questions that the patient may have concerning medication and or treatment. I have had an excellent experience working with Dr. Schopick and I would most certainly recommend him to family and friends.
Portsmouth, NH |
Dr. Shopick is an excellent Physician. He is caring and insightful. I would highly recommend him.
Portsmouth, NH |
Not understanding these other reviews. This Dr is kind and so funny. Helped me 100% with sleep issues.
Stratham, NH |
I have personally found Dr Schopick to be a wonderful caring doctor who has helped me immensely. I would recommend Dr Schopick to anyone I know. I enjoy his company, and I always leave feeling better. He's a good man, and a great Doctor.
Portsmouth, NH |
Very smart doctor who really listened to me and made me laugh a little with his dry humor. Would recommend him and liked his office manager a lot.
in South Paris, ME |
Dr Schopick offers a kind but yet sometimes abrasive approach. His kindness becomes shattered when dishonesty arises. Dr Schopick delivers a great deal of respect for his client,listens intently analyzes carefully and administers key feelings on designing ideas to remedy personal issues. Dr Schopick over time has brought through patience and outsourcing techniques and other counseling tremendous results. However it takes hard work from both parties. I thank Dr Schopick from my deep in my heart.
Dr. Schopick treated me and helped a lot with my depression and anxiety after I had tried some other medications that did not work somewhere else.
Maine |
Used him when my son was in 4th grade. All he did was keep increasing medication that was making my son violent. Finally, went to a specialist in Boston paying $2,000 out of my pocket and the specialist put him on generic Anafranil and within one week my son was 100% improved and a fun, happy child. His has OCD which caused major anxiety and inability to function. Scholpick was terrible.
Greenland, NH |
Was not impressed with this doctor at all. Unwilling to do any work to look into any other additional or of different diagnosis, medications or treatments. Loves to push the Prozac and quickly dismisses any request to discuss or try other options. Wait time is always long as well.
Rochester, NH |
Unlike other reviewers, I actually really liked working with him and only left because my insurance changed. There were some issues with him tracking financing and occasionally getting confused on my copay, but it's a very small self-run office and if he wants to get paid, he needs to be diligent. You have to understand that. I understand other reviewers saying that he seems pompous but I found him quite fun and funny, and sometimes sarcastic (not about anything serious) and I loved it.
in Rochester, NH |
Spoke with Dr. Schopick a few months back, was told that he was not sure he could take on the "complexity" of my 11 year old daughter (with ODD/ADHD/[possible]Bipolar) case". Because of this response, we choose not to pursue him further. Unfortunately, we were forced to call him back when we started realizing that we could not get psychiatric care for a child here in NH (just moved here from NC). His receptionist informed us that their records show us as having missed an appointment! What? When?
in New Hampshire |
I saw him for 14 years. He was good at pushing medications but was more concerned about financial payment. I had insurance and never once missed a check. In fact he owed my family money for overcharging which they received. He however did not help me, was more concerned in just appearing to be helpful. However, be hopeful there are psychiatrists out there who do help and have saved lifes, never give up, best thing you can do is find a doctor who listens and cares!!
in Somersworth, NH |
Dr. Schopick intimated me every time I walked into his office. When I told him about an issue I was having with my current meds he added yet another medication. When I finally sought help with another provider I was asked why he give me a third med instead of increasing the dosage - I replied I don't know, he was my doctor, what choice did I have but to trust him? He is patronizing & pompous & not compassionate at all! (as another feedback review said) I would not recommend Dr.Schopick.
Peabody, MA |
Dr Schopick doesn't seem to care about what is BEST for his patient. He makes an initial assessment of a person and takes NOTHING else into account (this was over the course of a year of treatment). Seeing his pt 1x a month, and not even bothering to communicate with other providers that had input in care. He is pompous and patronizing. I have been seeking alternate providers and can't wait until he is no longer a part of treatment!
Portsmouth, NH |
He was the single most disrespectful provider that I have even been to see. He lacked in professionalism and compassion.
Have you seen Dr. David Schopick, MD?
Are you Dr. Schopick?

Compare Dr. Schopick

Dr. Schopick's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry
  •  Malpractice claims in New Hampshire not available

Dr. Schopick has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for New Hampshire.

Why It Matters: Dr. Schopick's Board Certifications

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Autism
  • Chemical Addiction
  • Depression
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Panic Disorder
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

University Of Connecticut School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1983

University of Chicago Medical Center

Completed in 1984

Hosptial Univeristy Health Center Pitssburgh

Completed in 1987

Western Psyc Institute University Pittsbu

Completed in 1988

Dr. Schopick does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Schopick and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry