Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD

Dr. Rivadeneira
Telehealth services available

David Rivadeneira, MD

321b Crossways Park Dr Woodbury, NY 11797

Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD is a Colorectal Surgery Specialist in Woodbury, NY. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Long Island Jewish Medical Center and North Shore University Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Rivadeneira to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Colon Surgeons & Rectal Surgeons in your area

See similar Colon Surgeons & Rectal Surgeons in Woodbury

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Rivadeneira accepts

Dr. Rivadeneira accepts the following insurance:

Blue Access (Select Network)-NY
Empire (Select Network)-NY POS
National (BlueCard Basic) PPO
National (BlueCard) PPO
Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP) HMO

Dr. Rivadeneira treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Abscess

Dr. Rivadeneira treats Abscess more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Rivadeneira treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Abdominal Abscess

• Constipation
  • Crohn's Disease
  • Cyst Incision and Drainage
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
  • Intestinal Abscess
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Abdominoperineal Resection of the Rectum With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Excision or Destruction of Ovary With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Sigmoidectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Laparotomy
  • Meckel's Diverticulum
  • Neuroendocrine Tumors
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Pelvic Exenteration (For: Gynecologic, Urinary, or Colorectal Malignancy)
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Proctosigmoidopexy With Robotic Assistance
  • Transendoscopic Stent Placement
  • Ulcer
  • Ulcerative Colitis

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD...

Offer weekend visits?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer evening visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Communicate via email?

Dr. Rivadeneira's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Rivadeneira

98.61751152073732%

Dr. Rivadeneira?
What People Say About Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD
Dr. D. Rivadeneira is a true professional, not only as a surgeon but a Doctor who readily communicates the issues and is extremely patient in discussing the issues, in laypersons language. Also, it is obvious that his staff has tremendous respect for him. I'm am grateful that Dr. P. Bermanski (gastroenterology) referred me to Dr. Rivadeneira to address an issue I had with a pre-cancerous polyp in my colon. Dr. Rivadeneira performed a sigmoid resection to eliminate the issue with the polyp. During surgery, Dr. Rivadeneira observed a cancerous tumor on the OUTSIDE of the colon. That section of the colon was removed from my body; if I did not have that procedure, I would have never known I had a serious issue as I felt just fine. Fortunately, this discovery means I have a chance to beat colon cancer. Currently, I am undergoing CHEMO therapy; I requested from Dr. Rivadeneira if he knew of a good oncologist. Dr. Rivadeneira recommended Dr. M. Petryk; she is not just good, she is great.
Tony B. – Jun 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr Rivendeneira is a awesome and caring doctor. Highly recommend.
C. LoPresti – Jun 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Received a hemorrhoidectomy, fissurectomy, and sphincterotomy from Dr. Riva. Changed my life...best rectal surgeon EVER. Healing time was minimal, ~7 days.
T. J. Avolese – May 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
When diagnosed with colon cancer in March 2019, I was very fortunate that my gastroenterologist referred me to Dr. Rivadeneira. Dr. R is a very calming doctor. He reassured me that my surgery was going to go just fine. I was terrified that I would need a colostomy and he assured me I would not, and he was right! He performed my sigmoidectomy and I was in the hospital for 2 days. I had absolutely no complications and surgery scars are practically gone. His bedside manor is wonderful and his staff is efficient and professional and courteous. A top notch doctor and practice.
Karen – Apr 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr Rivadenweira is one of the most amazing doctors you will ever meet. His warm welcome, care, thoroughness, and comfort made my procedure so much easier to deal with!! He made me feel so welcome and I highly recommend him to anyone.
Antonios Patramanis – Apr 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr. Rivadeneira is always very courteous and professional. His words and actions are clear and accurate. He is very friendly and caring as a person. It is always a pleasure to do follow up visits with Dr. Rivadeneira because you know that you are taken care of by a professional with rich experience.
Dmitrii – Mar 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Hi my name is Robert, I was referred to Dr. Rivadeneira by my gastroenterologist for a a laparoscopic sigmoid resection. when i first met him i was imediatly put at ease. His gentle demeanor and the way he explained my condition and how he was going to fix it was in simple terms. He explained all the pros and cons of weather I did or didn't do the procedure in a way that was easy to understand. I was in the hospital for only 2 days. It's be 3 weeks post surgery now and I'm moving around pretty well. I highly recommend Dr Rivadeneira. He is worth a drive from anywhere.
Robert – Feb 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
had surgery with dr rivadeneira and everything went very well. he is a great doctor with good bedside manners. would highly recommend to anyone who needs colorectal surgery.
Jan 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr. Rivadeneira gave me back my life. I had ulcerative colitis and from the moment I met him, I knew I was putting myself in good hands. He told me. He could help me. The way he said it I knew he could. My Primary had recommended him and I say thank God for him. It’s been a long haul- from having my entire diseased colon removed up to a total “reversal” which meant my body would use My small intestine as a colon. It’s been a total modern miracle and I’m almost normal again after years of illness. If you need a specialized surgeon in this area, chose Dr. R. He has a fabulous team (PA and NCP) plus great associates.
Jill Wrubel – Jan 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
After multiple bouts of diverticulitis and treatment with antibiotics, it became apparent that I needed a more permanent solution to my health problem. Both my primary care doctor and my gastroenterologist recommended that I see Dr. Rivadeneira. Although I was nervous when I went for my consultation with Dr. Rivadeneira, his calm and thorough manner of describing the colon resection procedure eased my concerns. He answered all my questions, reviewed the risks, but expressed his confidence in a good outcome. In Dec. 2019, Dr.Rivadeneira performed the robotic laparoscopic sigmoid resection on me, and the successful results were just as he described. It is now 4 weeks since my surgery, and I am feeling great. As an added bonus, Dr. Rivadeneira has wonderful assistants, particularly his PA, Marco Berrones and GNP, Shawnee Purdy, who reinforce Dr. Rivadeneira's medical advice and caring manner. I would definitely recommend Dr. Rivadeneira!
Lynne F. – Jan 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
I think that Dr. Rivadeneira is a top notch Dr. He was the only local colorectal surgeon willing to perform my colon procedure back in 2017. He has been vigilant in making sure we have regular follow ups! I recommend him without question!!
Dec 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Certainly a doctor's visit one doesn't look forward to but Dr. R and his staff were professional and respectful and quick!!
Dec 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Excellent bedside manner. Spends plenty of time with patients, answering all questions. Highly recommended.
John McNally – Nov 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr. Rivadeneira was very professional and I am more than glad I found him for my surgery. From start to finish my experience with him and his staff was top notch. I am very happy with my surgical results and would recommend him to my friends and family.
Mike – Nov 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
I met Dr. Rivadeneira quite by accident. I was sent to ER after a cat scan reviewed I had an abscess in my colon along with many complications. I was very lucky he happened to be in the ER at the time. He virtually saved my life. I had no idea how sick I really was. I had infections all over my lower abdomen. He explained that he would not even attempt surgery until I had six weeks of intravenous antibiotics. I was sent home with a pole and all the stuff I needed to do it myself. A nurse came to make sure it was done correctly. After 1st surgery I had an illiostomy. I learned to take care of it with the help of his team and nurses. I also have COPD which complicated things and my surgery but the doc never let me down. I was not an easy patient to say the least. After 4 months I had my surgery to reverse the illiostomy and repair the hernia which my coughing from the COPD caused. I just had my final appointment and was released from his care. This Thanksgiving I owe to them????????
Kathy Spada in Commack, NY – Oct 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr Rivadeneira was incredibly helpful and compassionate when I went to see him. When it came time to discuss surgery, he completely put my mind at ease. I am feeling so much better now and I couldn’t be more grateful!
DMM – Sep 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
I was recommended to Dr. David by Dr. Noah T. Zinkin. I couldn’t have asked for better care. He explained to me exactly how the J-Pouch procedure would work. Everything went smoothly and as expected. His staff is amazing as well. You absolutely recommend Dr. Rivadeneiera to anyone dealing with Ulcerative Colitis.
Louis S. – Aug 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr. Rivadeneira performed a hemicolectomy to remove a tumor from my right ascending colon. The diagnosis is Stage 1 colon cancer. All cancer was successfully removed, and there is no indication of it having spread. Dr. Rivadeneira was so professional and understanding from our first consultation. He explained the procedure in terms I could understand. He is patient and understanding. He followed up after the procedure and recommended future treatment. I'd recommend him to anyone needing colorectal treatment of any kind.
L. Emerson – Aug 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Super nice guy. Makes exams as comfortable as possible. Pleasant conversations.
Plainview , NY – Aug 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Dr. Rivadeneira and his staff were professional and courteous. The wait time was minimal and very appreciated! Dr Rivadeneira listened to my situation and his diagnosis and treatment were excellent. He is friendly and has a great bedside manner. I highly recommend Dr Rivadeneira!
Joseph Serigano – Aug 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Rivadeneira?

Dr. Rivadeneira is devoted to providing advanced healthcare, in an environment of compassion, to its patients and their families. expertise encompasses the management of colon, rectal, and anal cancer, diverticulitis, familial polyposis, chronic ulc...

• Colorectal Surgery

• Consumer research council of america "Top Surgeons in America", 2007
  • Whos Who among American Colleges and Universities, 1994
  • Strathmores Whos Who in Medicine, 2004

More Information

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Rivadeneira communicates via email

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Rivadeneira offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Rivadeneira offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira have free onsite parking?

Yes, 1 patient said they have free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Rivadeneira offers weekend visits

• Does Dr. Rivadeneira offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Rivadeneira offers evening visits

Does Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD offer telehealth services?

Is Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD accepting new patients?

Does Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD accept my insurance?

• Rivadeneira DE, Marcello PW, Rusin LC, Murray JJ, Coller J, Roberts PL, Schotez DJ: Benefits of hand-assisted laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy: A comparative study. Dis Colon Rectum 47:1371-1376,, 2004
  • Zwintscher NP, Johnson EK, Martin MJ, Maykel JA, Rivadeneira DE, Serur A, Steele SR. Surgical Resident and the adequacy of dictated operative reports. J Surg Res. 177(2):211-6, 2012
  • Rivadeneira DE, Steele SR, Ternent C, Chalasani S, Buie WD, Rafferty JL; Standards Practice Task Force of The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons.Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised 2010). Dis Colon Rectum. 54(9):1059-64, 2011
  • Rivadeneira DE (part of international multicenter group): No Rectopexy Versus Rectopexy following Rectal Mobilization for Full-Thickness Rectal Prolapse: A Randomized Multicenter Trial. Dis Colon Rectum 54:29-34, 2011
  • Rivadeneira DE (part of standards practice task force of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons) Practice parameters for the management of perianal abscess and fistula-in-ano. Dis Colon Rectum. 54(12):1465-74, 2011
  • Botchkina IL, Rowehl RA, Rivadeneira DE, Karpeh MS, Crawford H, Dufour A, Ju J, Wang Y, Leyfman Y, Botchkina GI. Phenotypic subpopulations of metastaic colon cancer stem cells: Genomic Analysis. Cancer Genomic & Proteomics 6:19-30, 2009
  • Dunn RM, Pickett LC, Rivadeneira DE. Challenges in Complex Ventral Hernia Repair: Examining the role of specialized techniques and mesh materials. American College of Surgeons/ Surgery News 1-12, 2009
  • Rivadeneira DE (part of international multicenter group): No Rectopexy Versus Rectopexy following Rectal Mobilization for Full-Thickness Rectal Prolapse: A Randomized Multicenter Trial. Dis Colon Rectum 54:29-34, 2010
  • Rivadeneira DE, Verdeja JC, Sonoda T. Improved access and visibility during stapling of the ultra-low rectum: a comparative human cadaver study between two curved staplers. Ann Surg Innov Res. 13;6(1):11, 2012
  • Chaudhary ND, Ranire-Maguire M, Corman ML, Rivadeneira DE. Letter to the Editor: Topical Sucralfate Post-Hemorrhoidectomy: An Affordable and feasible treatment option? Dis Colon Rectum 51: 1857, 2008

David Rivadeneira, MD

David Rivadeneira, MD321b Crossways Park Dr Woodbury, NY 11797

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Rivadeneira treats patients.

Long Island Jewish Medical Center

New Hyde Park, NY

69% Patient experience rating, Equal to the national average

• America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care Award™ (2020)
  • General Surgery Excellence Award™ (2020)
  • Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019)

North Shore University Hospital

Manhasset, NY

69% Patient experience rating, Equal to the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2020, 2019)
  • Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018)
  • General Surgery Excellence Award™ (2019)

Plainview Hospital

Plainview, NY

61% Patient experience rating, 8% lower than the national average

Southside Hospital

Bay Shore, NY

63% Patient experience rating, 6% lower than the national average

• Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™ (2019)