Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD

Colon & Rectal Surgery | Male

David Rivadeneira, MD 321B Crossways Park Dr Woodbury, NY 11797 Get Directions
Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD
Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD is a colon & rectal surgery doctor who practices in Woodbury, NY. He is 47 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Rivadeneira is affiliated with Southside Hospital.

Dr. Rivadeneira's Care Philosophy

Dr. Rivadeneira is devoted to providing advanced healthcare, in an environment of compassion, to its patients and their families. expertise encompasses the management of colon, rectal, and anal cancer, diverticulitis, familial polyposis, chronic ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, ileoanal reservoir (J-pouch), colon polyps, incontinence, prolapse, anorectal abscess, fistula, fissure, and hemorrhoids. He also performs colonoscopy.

Dr. Rivadeneira's Experience

See how Dr. Rivadeneira's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Rivadeneira

Dr. Rivadeneira accepts 5 insurance carriers

Dr. Rivadeneira is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Rivadeneira has admitting privileges.

Dr. Rivadeneira's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rivadeneira to family and friends
Dr. Rivadeneira's Performance
in Massapequa, NY |
Dr. R did my sigmoid colon resection in June 17. The moment that my wife and I met him, he put us at ease. He had come highly recommend to us by a close friend, on whom he had performed the same procedure and she had a fast and perfect outcome. Dr. Rivadeneira is extremely pleasant, took the time to explain my condition and his proposed solution in detail, but in an easy to understand manner. The surgery and recovery were exactly as he projected and relatively pain free. I highly recommend him.
in Huntington Station, NY |
I went to Dr. Rivadeneira's office in constant pain and agony and when he suggested rubber band ligation I was terrified.... But It was the best thing I ever did..... Dr. Drivadeneira is a very caring man and he and he Assistant made this as good as it gets.
Riverhead, NY |
The procedure went perfect. Fissure and hemorrhoid pain is gone and the recovery was less painful then the condition before surgery.
New York, NY |
A fine surgeon and person who is highly recommended
in Farmingville, NY |
Dr. Rivadeneira offered me an opportunity to tell you about my experience. I would like to say that he was wonderful, kind, respectful and compassionate. Not for one moment did I feel uncomfortable. I must admit that I was apprehensive. To my surprise there was no pain, no discomfort and no embarrassment. In a brief procedure he eliminated a problem that had plagued me for months. I am grateful to Dr. Rivadeneira for his help and assurance that he could eliminate my problem and he did!
Long Island, NY |
Dr Rivadeneira absolutely improved my quality of life. I visited him as a last hope after seeing several Doctors in NYC. After attempting less complex options for internal hemorrhoids it was determined that surgery was the best option. I was a little apprehensive knowing the procedure would leave me uncomfortable and laid up but trusted his judgment. The surgery was a 100% success. I recovered a lot faster than expected and now have a healthier and normal bowl.
in Wantagh, NY |
My experiences with Dr. Rivadeneira have been extremely pleasant. He's thoroughly concerned with making you feel comfortable with this very necessary procedure. In my case of hemorrhoids he thoroughly explained the procedure and what to expect. He anticipated my anxiety and assured me there was nothing to be concerned about. He explained each step and again was very sympathetic toward my anxiety. So through his human kindness he was not just a doctor, but like a friend who wanted to help you.
Westhampton, NY |
Both Dr Rivadeneira and his staff are compassionate regarding their patients' sensitive issues. I called the office several times with questions about my surgery, and received prompt calls back to answer my concerns, and I was given as much time as I needed to address these concerns. The kindness and professionalism of the staff made this difficult experience much more manageable.
in Manorville ny |
yes dr Rivadeneira was excellent From the first consultation to the last follow up visit of my surgery he listened understood very gentle and made me feel extremely confident and relaxed with my procedure.I am very grateful and would HIGHLY recommend him and the caring staff at Huntington hospital Thank you all and may GOD BLESS YOU ANN Variale
in Kings Park, NY |
When I had my laparoscopic colon resection surgery, I always felt that I was in very good hands with Dr. Rivadeneira. He explained everything well to me and my family. He was eager to answer any questions we had. At the age of 76 with other health risks, I was very apprehensive prior to surgery but everything went very well and, with little pain, I was home in 3 days with my staples removed after 2 weeks. I'm happy with the results and continue to feel good.
in Commack NY |
If there was 10 stars he would get that!!! He preformed sigmoid colon reconstruction surgery on March 2,2017. I was up and around two weeks later!!! Not only is he exceptional as a surgeon, he is the kindness, compassionate, caring doctor I have ever met. He explained everything about my surgery from beginning to end perfectly. He also explain everything about what to expect as I recover. I highly recommend Dr. R, not only for his incredible work, his honesty and compassion!!
Huntington Station, NY |
I was suffering with a painful fissure for many years. I have Crohn's and thought it was something I have to live with. Gastro docs treated me palliatively with topical creams and never suggested I visit a colorectal surgeon. I finally decided I needed to see one. I was totally impressed with Dr. Rivadeneira. He first treated me conservatively, and when this failed he suggested surgery. I am glad I did the surgery! As a Crohn's patient, I had an easy recovery and absolutely no incontinence!!!!!!
in Mt Sinai, NY |
Although the body area and issues he is dealing with is unpleasant, he himself is a great guy to help you along with this. He has a very pleasant attitude and personality, makes the patient feel at ease and has a very upbeat personality. He explains everything and is extremely helpful in preparing you as the patient and afterwards by fully explaining what was done, how and what to expect. He made me feel very good about the lap band procedures I had.
in Kings Park, NY |
Dr. Rivadeneira is a brilliant doctor and a compassionate individual. In my case, he did not know what challenge he was going to encounter until he actually could see the damage done to my colon. His explanation was comprehensive, proficient, and the surgery was exactly as he explained to me. I am extremely grateful for his expertise in this complicated surgery that resulted in the best-case scenario. He is a true professional, and I strongly recommend him. You are in excellent hands!
Nesconset, NY |
Thank you Dr. Rivadeneira Had Colon/Rectal Surgery in April 2016 and feel the best I have in years. No more worries about getting sick from Diverticulitis and those terrible meds. Dr. R and his staff were amazing. Thank you again
in Centerport, NY |
I was in need of an emergency colostomy. I was very ill nd frightened. I had heard very positive recommendations regarding Dr. Rivadeneira and felt confident I was choosing the right surgeon. What I had not anticipated was the compassion and kindness he showed not only me but my family. I have since had a successful reversal and I am forever grateful for his skills as a surgeon and his kindness as a person.
in Commack, N.Y. |
I was in the hospital with chronic diverticulitis, for the second time in one year. After reading the reviews on Dr. Rivadeneira, I asked my gastro doctor to request a consult. Dr. R. was so kind, gentle and reassuring. He reviewed my images, talked w/ my gastro doctor, explained my options and developed a plan to get me well again. I went home on antibiotics, and returned for robotic colon resection 11/3/16. My recovery was amazing, and I feel wonderful. Thank you Dr. Rivadeneira!
in Patchogue, NY |
My heartfelt compassion for Dr. Rivadeneira is overwhelming. His patience, kindness, confidence & overall calming effect have done wonders for me regarding my surgery. His skill, knowledge & positive outlook played such a huge part in my recovery. I feel so blessed to have found myself in his very capable hands. His staff is also so appreciated for their kindness, patience and caring words. I can't thank him enough for all he has done for me. I recommend him highly & without reservation!!!
in Sayville, NY |
I am happy to report that I underwent a successful fistulotomy by Dr. Rivadeneira. After some worry on my part, his confidence and discussion allowed me to schedule and complete the surgery.
in Hicksville, NY |
I was referred to Dr. Rivadeneira for colon surgery. I was very impressed by the way he spoke and listened to my concerns. We scheduled the surgery. Dr. Rivadeneira spoke to me before the operation and put me at ease. I would highly recommend him for his excellent surgical skills and bed side manner. He truly cares about his patients.
in Cold Spring Harbor, NY |
I was fortunate to have "text book" surgery & recovery under the care of Dr. Rivadeneira and his staff. The initial consultation was thorough and comprehensive and it went as planned. A talented surgeon and a wonderful man.
in Centereach, NY |
Best guy ever made us fell so comfortable in knowing everything he was going to be doing highly recommend him for your surgical needs Stage 4 colon cancer is very scary having a doc. Who can do both the. Surgery and make you feel comfortable is a blessing he is the best amen
in Commack, NY |
A routine colonoscopy revealed a large mass that either was or would become cancerous. I was terrified of the surgery and recovery but really should not have been. Dr. Rivadeniera was extremely thorough and professional. Recovery was quicker than anticipated with little scarring. I would recommend him without any hesitation. His office staff was very helpful and answered all my questions and concerns, with a big shout out to Shawnee Purdy, his nurse practitioner. With him you are in great hands.
in Central Islip, NY |
I had gone to the emergency room from losing half the blood in my body from internal hemorrhoids. I had 2 blood tranfusions. Instead of doing surgery which I couldn't have because of anemia he was able to perform procedures in his office which stopped my bleeding & removed all hemorrhoids. He greatly changed the quality of my life. He is absolutely one of the best in the field.
East Northport |
Dr. Rivadeneira is a wonderful clinician. He quickly diagnosed and treated my condition and I had complete trust and confidence in him. However, what makes Dr. Rivadeneira truly stand out is his compassion and caring that is evident from the moment you meet him. The office staff were very professional and helpful. I would highly recommend Dr. Rivadeneira to my family, friends and colleagues.
in East Hampton, NY |
It's uncomfortable talking about and seeking help for issues in the area of the body that Dr. Rivadeneira specializes in. However, you feel so incredibly comfortable and confident in his hands! I recommend him to everyone! He has expert skills in his procedures, extensive knowledge and on top of that makes you feel like you're his family member that he is caring for. He is THE best of the best! Having surgeries and procedures can be nerve racking but Dr. R and his staff make you feel at home.
in Huntington, NY |
After fighting diverticulitis for many years unsuccessfully, I was referred to Dr. Rivadeneira. He is top notch! Personable, caring, thoroughly explained the procedure and risks. The proof was in the OR. He is a talented surgeon and I had a fantastic experience, including a speedy recovery. Thank you! I highly recommend!
in Huntington, NY |
Dr. Rivadeneira was extremely courteous, friendly, and professional. Dr. Rivadeneira's recommendations were effective. Also, his explanation of potential procedures were thorough. I would eagerly recommend Dr. Rivadeneira to anyone requiring his expertise.
in West Islip |
Professional with a personality. Office staff was great, no wait time and Dr R was outstanding.
in Huntington Station, NY |
When I was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer it was awful. Dr. Rivadeneira's compassion and assurance was amazing. He truly was able to support me in no way any doctor had. He also is a great surgeon. He had to perform emergency surgery on me and it was a great success. Although I still have a very long road ahead of me, I know I am in great hands with Dr. Rivadeneira.
in Deer Park, NY |
Bouts of diverticulitis brought me to Dr R who by the way was highly recommended. After having surgery on July 18th I was home on July 22nd. Recovery at home wasn't bad but can be challenging i.e. finding comfortable postions sleeping or sitting in a chair. With minimum narcotics and Advil pain is bearable, just make sure to use a stool softner for constipation and easier for bowel movements.The most uncomfortable pain is sneezing from the incisions with staples. Aug3 staples were removed. Thnks
in Marco Island, FL |
Had my annual colonoscopy with Dr. R as part of my ins. company wellness program(fully covered procedure) . The doctor pierced my bowel that led to heavy bleeding and me passing out at home that next day. Called the doctor and was told he would call me back which didn't happen. No thanks to him I still here. The insurance covered wellness visit was than billed as a medical procedure that I received multiple bills for, which I paid. Well 2 years later I just received another bill. Stay away
in Deer Park, NY |
I was referred to Dr. Rivadeneira by my gastroneologist to remove a cancerous mass in my sigmoid colon. He is an excellent surgeon, he made the whole process so easy to understand, he explained everything step-by-step...he definitely relieved all my fears. Thanks to the amazing talent of Dr.Rivadeneira my surgery was a complete success. I truly am fortunate to have found such an excellent surgeon. His bedside manner is the best I have ever encountered in a Doctor. I would highly recommend him.
in East Northport, NY |
I have been suffering from colon problems for many years. A friend recommended Dr. Rivadeneira within 3 weeks of my consult I had laparoscopic sigmoid colon resection. The surgery was extensive due to adhesions in intestines and the colon merged with the bladder and was an abscess with perforation, Dr. Rivadeneira was able to complete the surgery without a colostomy bag, which is HUGE! This review is to encourage others needing surgery but put it off because of fear. God's timing is perfect.
in Smithtown, NY |
Dr. Rivadeneira removed my diseased sigmoid colon after having numerous diverticulitis episodes over the last few years. I was never nervous about the surgery because I knew I had the best surgeon available. Dr. Rivadeneira explained everything that would happen and he was spot on. There was no need for prescription pain medication after the surgery, just about 3 months of fatigue. I would highly recommend Dr. Rivadeneira. I wish all of my doctors had the personality and medical skills he has.
in Oakdale, NY |
I've never felt more safe in a doctors hands before a surgery. He answered every question I had in words that I was able to understand. He talked to me like a friend, not like I was a patient. The amount of care that himself and his staff gave me was beyond what I could have thought.
in Bay Shore, NY |
Dr. Rivandeneira is an excellent doctor. He spent time talking to me before doing an in office procedure for hemorrhoids. The procedure was quick and easy. It was pain free and so far it has been a huge help to me. In the first treatment I had significant reduction in symptoms. I had one more treatment and I am confident that this will be the final one. He is funny and very reassuring.
in Mount Sinai, NY |
When I needed a colon resection to remove a mass in my colon my detailed research led me to Dr. David Rivadeneira. He makes himself conveniently available and takes the time to clearly explain the entire procedure. He performed minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery and saved my life. Post surgery was virtually painless with minimum discomfort and his stated recovery time was accurate. I highly recommend this outstanding surgeon and compassionate human being.
New York, NY |
Dr Rivadeneira is an amazing talented surgeon. He is kind, patient and compassionate. I suffered from rectal prolapse and rectocele for many years. In just one day he fixed me. Now everything works the way it was meant to. I wish I had done it sooner. Thank you Dr Rivadeneira!
in Hicksville, NY |
Doctor Rivadeneira is friendly, upbeat and answers all of your questions. My colon polyp removal surgery went fine with no complications. The doctor explained what to expect after surgery. He was right on point. I have no complaints and feel very lucky to have had him as my surgeon
Have you seen Dr. David Rivadeneira, MD?
Are you Dr. Rivadeneira?

Compare Dr. Rivadeneira

Dr. Rivadeneira's Care Philosophy

Dr. Rivadeneira's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Colon & Rectal Surgery

• Marquis Whos Who in America, 2008
    • Whos Who among American Colleges and Universities, 1994
    • Consumer research council of america Top Surgeons in America, 2007
    • Strathmores Whos Who in Medicine, 2004
    • Davis B, Rivadeneira DE. Complications of colorectal anastomoses: leaks, strictures and bleeding. Surg Clin North Am. 93(1):61-87, 2012
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of standards practice task force of the American society of colon and rectal surgeons) Practice parameters for the management of perianal abscess and fistula-in-ano. Standards Practice Task Force of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Dis Colon Rectum. 54(12):1465, 2011
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of standards practice task force of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons) Practice parameters for the management of perianal abscess and fistula-in-ano. Dis Colon Rectum. 54(12):1465-74, 2011
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of international multicenter group): No Rectopexy Versus Rectopexy following Rectal Mobilization for Full-Thickness Rectal Prolapse: A Randomized Multicenter Trial. Dis Colon Rectum 54:29-34, 2010
    • Rivadeneira DE, Wong WD: Preoperative staging of rectal cancer. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 1:17-26, 2002
    • Chaudhary ND, Ranire-Maguire M, Corman ML, Rivadeneira DE. Letter to the Editor: Topical Sucralfate Post-Hemorrhoidectomy: An Affordable and feasible treatment option? Dis Colon Rectum 51: 1857, 2008
    • Botchkina IL, Rivadeneira DE, Watkins K, Karpeh MS, Botchkina GI. Clinical Significance of Telomerase Activity in Peritoneal Disseminated Cells: Gastrointestinal Cancers. Mol Med 14(1-2):45-54, 2008
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of international rectal cancer study group, IRCSG). International preoperative rectal cancer management: staging, neoadjuvant treatment, and impact of multidisciplinary teams. World J Surg 34(11) 2689-700, 2010
    • Zwintscher NP, Johnson EK, Martin MJ, Maykel JA, Rivadeneira DE, Serur A, Steele SR. Surgical Resident and the adequacy of dictated operative reports. J Surg Res. 177(2):211-6, 2012
    • Botchkina IL, Rowehl RA, Rivadeneira DE, Karpeh MS, Crawford H, Dufour A, Ju J, Wang Y, Leyfman Y, Botchkina GI. Phenotypic subpopulations of metastaic colon cancer stem cells: Genomic Analysis. Cancer Genomic & Proteomics 6:19-30, 2009
    • Rivadeneira DE, Steele SR, Ternent C, Chalasani S, Buie WD, Rafferty JL; Standards Practice Task Force of The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons.Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised 2010). Dis Colon Rectum. 54(9):1059-64, 2011
    • Rivadeneira DE, Marcello PW, Rusin LC, Murray JJ, Coller J, Roberts PL, Schotez DJ: Benefits of hand-assisted laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy: A comparative study. Dis Colon Rectum 47:1371-1376,, 2004
    • Rivadeneira DE, Verdeja JC, Sonoda T. Improved access and visibility during stapling of the ultra-low rectum: a comparative human cadaver study between two curved staplers. Ann Surg Innov Res. 13;6(1):11, 2012
    • Sonoda T, Verdeja JC, Rivadeneira DE.Stapler access and visibility in the deep pelvis: A comparative human cadaver study between a computerized right angle linear cutter versus a curved cutting stapler. .Ann Surg Innov Res. 27;5:7, 2011
    • Rivadeneira DE, Marcello PW. Current status of hand-assisted laparoscopic colon and rectal surgery: Do we need a hand? Seminars in Colon & Rectal Surgery. 14:154-160, 2003
    • Causey MW, Stoddard D, Johnson EK, Maykel JA, Martin MJ, Rivadeneira D, Steele SR. Laparoscopy impacts outcomes favorably following colectomy for ulcerative colitis: a critical analysis of the ACS-NSQIP database. Surg Endosc., 2012 Sep 7.
    • Rivadeneira DE, Pochapin M, Grobmyer SR, Lieberman M, Christos P, Jacobson I, Daly JM: Comparison of linear array endoscopic ultrasound and helical computed tomography for the staging of periampullary malignancies. Ann Surg Oncol 10:890-897, 2003
    • Dunn RM, Pickett LC, Rivadeneira DE. Challenges in Complex Ventral Hernia Repair: Examining the role of specialized techniques and mesh materials. American College of Surgeons/ Surgery News 1-12, 2009
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of standards practice task force of the American society of colon and rectal surgeons) Practice parameters for the management of anal fissures (3rd revision). Dis Colon Rectum 53(8): 1110-5, 2010
    • Rivadeneira, DE (part of standards practice task force of the American society of colon and rectal surgeons) Practice parameters for anal squamous neoplasms. Standards Practice Task Force of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Dis Colon Rectum. 55(7):735-49, 2012
    • Surgical Management. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 20: 96-101, 2007
    • Rivadeneira DE (part of international multicenter group): No Rectopexy Versus Rectopexy following Rectal Mobilization for Full-Thickness Rectal Prolapse: A Randomized Multicenter Trial. Dis Colon Rectum 54:29-34, 2011
    • Early Multi-institution Experience With Single-Incision Laparoscopic Colectomy. Dis Colon Rectum 54: 187-92, 2011
    • CBS Healthwatch, March 2011

No malpractice history found for New York.

Why It Matters: Dr. Rivadeneira's Board Certifications

Completed in 2003

Completed in 1997

• Italian
  • Portuguese

Dr. Rivadeneira does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Rivadeneira and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Colon & Rectal Surgery

• Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Colonoscopy
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Hernia Repair
  • Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Jejunostomy Tube Placement
  • Laparoscopic Sigmoidectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Laparoscopic Ventral Herniorrhaphy
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Proctosigmoidopexy With Robotic Assistance
  • Rigid Proctosigmoidoscopy With Robotic Assistance
  • Sphincterotomy
  • Surgical Procedures
  • Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM)
  • da Vinci® Robotic Surgery