Dr. David Kalfa, MD

Dr. David Kalfa, MD

Cardiovascular Surgery  |

Dr. David Kalfa is a Board-certified cardiothoracic surgeon with a subspecialization in pediatric cardiac surgery. A Native of France, Dr. Kalfa graduated from Marseilles University Graduate School of Medicine with the highest level of distinction in 2004. During his certification, he developed a research program in Tissue Engineering applied to the field of Congenital Heart Diseases that led to the attainment of numerous grants including a European Research FP7 Grant. He completed a research fellowship in Fondation Alain carpentier/INSERM in Paris and received his PhD degree in 2011 with the highest level of distinction. He then performed a 2-year clinical fellowship in Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery in one of the highest-volume centers (Marie Lannelongue Hospital in Paris) with exposure to highly complicated cases from all age groups (from neonates to adults). He completed a clinical fellowship in Adult Cardiac Surgery at Laval University Hospital in Quebec, Canada (2012-2013). He was then Assistant Attending in Congenital Cardiac Surgery at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital/NYP (2013-2015) and is currently Assistant Professor of Surgery (tenure track) in the Section of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery, Columbia University, and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College.

Weill Cornell Medicine's Cardiothoracic Surgery

• Oscar Insurance Corporation
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Kalfa

Dr. Kalfa's Experience

Dr. Kalfa's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Cardiovascular Surgery

This content was provided by Dr. Kalfa "We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person. "

• Cardiovascular Surgery
  • General Surgery

Dr. Kalfa does not have any board certifications listed.

• Arrhythmias

• Ablation for Treatment of Cardiac Arrhythmias
  • Aortic Repair, Open or Repair of Arterial Aneurysm, Open
  • Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) Implantation
  • Cardiac Electrophysiology
  • Cardiac Shunting Procedures With or Without Aortic Repair or Coronary Anomaly Repair
  • Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric
  • Cardioverter-Defibrillator or Pacemaker Insertion, Removal or Repair
  • Heart Defect Repair
  • Heart Surgery
  • Peripheral Artery Catheterization
  • Pulmonary Valve Surgery
  • Tilt Testing or Cardiac Event Monitors
  • Valve Repair or Replacement (Aortic, Mitral, Tricuspid, and Pulmonary)

No malpractice history found for New York.

• University Of Montpellier 2, France
  • Marie Lannelongue Hospital, Paris, France
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010
  • PHD Degree At University Of Paris, France
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Kalfa has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Kalfa has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Kalfa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kalfa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Kalfa is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Kalfa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kalfa to family and friends
Dr. Kalfa's Performance
in New York, NY |
I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Kalfa. My has Tetralogy of Fallot and Dr. Kalfa operated on him when he was a week old. Dr. Kalfa was very thorough and spent the time with us going over questions and concerns. He is extremely knowledgeable and his expertise in the matter left us feeling like we were in the right hands. Dr. Kalfa saved my sons life and I am forever grateful and indebted to him. I highly recommend him should you find yourself needing a cardiac surgeon. The best.
Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Kalfa operated on my 5 month old daughter to correct VSD/PDA/ASD. Not only was he incredibly skilled and knowledgable, he was extremely compassionate throughout the entire process. There are no words to express my appreciation to him for saving my daughter's life. If you end up using him, you will be in excellent hands.
in Greenwhich |
Dr. Kalfa operated my infant daughter. He was very attentive, went through all questions and very careful in post surgery.
New Haven, CT |
The original surgeon decided after our daughters birth that the surgery she needed was too complex for him. He told us hopefully another hospital will accept my daughter as a patient. Columbia accepted us that night. Dr. Kalfa met with us several times before her first surgery to make sure we understood the process and exactly what he would be doing. He is a wonderful person and a wonderful surgeon. He saved our daughters life, when no one else would. We are forever grateful for Dr. Kalfa.
in Stamford, Ct |
Dr. Kalfa, and the team are simply extraordinary. The unparalleled pediatric cardio surgery expertise coupled with the best beside manner you could imagine, made a difficult medical procedure surmountable. He successfully repaired our daughter's severe mitral valve regurgitation, and took the time to explain the procedure pre and post op, which gave us the peace of mind we needed. In all, Dr. Kalfa is a confident yet humble surgeon, who is passionate about repairing pediatric hearts.
Suffern, NY |
We were extremely happy with Dr. Kalfa. He is an excellent surgeon. We highly recommend him.
Sunnyside, NY |
Last week my 10-year old nephew underwent open heart surgery. He was born with a heart defect, and first had heart valve replacement when he was a week old. While we knew this day was coming, as parents, grandparents, and as an aunt, we were terrified, Dr. Kalfa and his amazing team of cardiac surgeons eased our worries and exceeded our expectations. The doctors did a wonderful job at easing my little cousin's fears. Dr. Kalfa is very well spoken and a wonderful surgeon!
in New York, NY |
Dr. Kalfa was very nice and explain the whole procedure of the surgery throughout the whole visit. I didn't have any problems and I trusted him with my surgery. Everything turned out great and could've been more happier that Dr. Kalfa attended my daughter. ????
Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Kalfa was the most professional, caring, knowledgeable Doctor I have ever dealt with. My 6 year old had heart surgery, which was very trying as you can probably imagine, he was extremely reassuring and confident in his approach. He has a very kind bedside manner and was excellent with my daughter, This difficult process was made much easier under the care of Dr. Kalfa, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone.
in Brookyln |
Dr. Kalfa did heart surgery on my son when he was three days old and repaired his coartaion of the aorta. They told us it would take him 7 days to recover but because the surgery was done so well he was released from the hospital only 3 days later. Dr. Kalfa was kind, patient, and answered all the questions that a concerned parent like my self would want to know. I cannot thank him enough for literally saving my sons life.
New York, NY |
Dr. Karla performed heart surgery on my son and did a great job. My son had minimal pain afterwards and the doctor kept me well informed of everything that was going on pre and post OR.
in New Haven, CT |
When we first met with dr. Kalfa he explained step by step on what he was going to do. There were some things we didn't understand in which he picked up and took the time to explain anything and everything. Dr. kalfa saved our daughter's life and we owe the world to him.
in Queens Village, NY |
My daughter had second surgery by Dr Kalfa.I found him really experienced.he is very understanding and caring. He explained us every single thing which my daughter gonna had during surgery. He gave us enough courge in the very very critical time.now my daughter is good,still in hospital but she is doingreally good. After Almighty Allah he was our last hope and he proved it right. Almighty Allah give him many many more success in his carrier and a healthy and a prosper life.
in Ridgewood, NJ |
Dr. Kalfa, aside from being an incredibly skilled surgeon, was extremely helpful in explaining all aspects of our sons procedures. He took time, attention and care to make sure we had all our questions answered. He has a great manner and sense of humor and was absolutely a pleasure to work with.
in New York, NY |
We could not recommend Dr. Kalfa enough!! Our 3 month old was diagnosed with a condition that needed urgent open heart surgery. Like any new parent of a newborn- we were terrified, sad, nervous, etc. We were lucky enough to have Dr. Kalfa operate on our son. He was so understanding of our situation. He explained each step thoroughly and efficiently. We walked out knowing exactly what to expect before, during, and after the surgery. We are grateful for him and his team!
in Bronx, NY |
DR.Kalfa best experience did afull heart repair to my baby mia garcia when she was only 10 day old he explain everything very well and gave that nice smile when came back from the surgery love you saving my baby life
in Woodhaven, NY |
Dr. kalfa is an excellent surgeon. My son underwent Two open heart surgeries in less than a week and Dr. kalfa sat with my husband and myself to explain the risk and benefits of the surgeries. He was very confident that the benefits were higher than the risk andThat gave us a piece of mind before my son underwent both procedures. He is very soft spoken and has charmin personality. Both of my son's surgeies were successful and two weeks later our son is home on the road to recovery. Thank you
in Croton on Hudson, NY |
The result of the surgery was excellent. And it was very comfortable talking with him as his patient.
Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Kalfa is an excellent top notch surgeon who is also warm, caring, and considerate. He took the time to carefully explain the surgical procedure before he started the surgery, and ensured that we were continuously updated on our daughters well being throughout the entire length of the surgery which took over 8 hours. He also visited us immediately after the surgery to let us know how the surgery went. He continued to follow up with us and look after our daughter during her recovery period.
in Wayne, nj |
I can't thank Dr. Kalfa enough about taking care of my boy. He was born with a coarctation of the aorta and at just two weeks old he was transferred to NYPH and underwent sx with Dr. Kalfa. Dr. Kalfa has a great bedside manner and explained everything regarding the sx. He came promptly afterwards and reassured us that everything had gone well. He is knowledgeable, kind and I highly recommend him to other patients as well as parents of patients with this anomaly.
in Stamford, CT |
Dr Kalfa is the answer to any parent prayer. He closed the hole on my 4 year old daughter heart! Day3 post surgery she is back to mormal with out any pain managmeny! He is very humble and warm! I wanted to give him a big hug after he came and told me our daughter is well and in recovery! The surgery finished sooner thank expected. This man is an angel from God. as a parent is it very difficult choosing the right surgeon for this kind of surgery. But we had no regret! The Latchoo Family!
in New York, NY |
My son was diagnosed with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, he needs a few open heart surgeries. From the start Dr. Kalfa been my son's surgeon. He's very caring and takes the time to listen to our concerns. He made sure we were fully informed always explains things down to the minor details and also every test and procedure my son got. I'm truly thankful, thank you Dr. Kalfa for saving my baby's life.
in Brooklyn, NY |
My son Awaab Atique was diagnosed ASD. (Mean hole upper side of the heart) Dr kalfa was surgeon who operate my son surgery. He was very professional and explained everything to us very clearly. He made my son comfortable which made all of us fell better. The operation went very well. Thanks GOD. The prognosis for my son is good. I would praise Dr Kalfa professionalism and skills to anyone who Would ask. GOD bless you.
in Roosevelt |
Amazing person & surgeon...Very easy to talk to & explains everything in detail, & answers any questions or concerns..Did my son's surgery which was a unexpexpected surgery with many different repairs, & the outcome was great...Came to check on him everyday on his recovery...I am very pleased with my son's surgery..I cant ever thank Him enough for giving me a healthy new baby...
in Bay Shore, NY |
Dr. David Kalfa performed open heart surgery on my oldest son. He required an adult duct, heart valve, pacemaker, and new pacemaker leads. It was a very difficult and complicated procedure. He visited my son several times during his hospital stay which was a very kind and considerate gesture. He told my son... You are perfect... which my son said... I guess so... then our doctor said... I performed your surgery and I know you are perfect! He represents the Best of the Best! A+... Dad
in Hawthorne, NJ |
Dr. Kalfa was very clear in explaining the surgical procedure to correct TAPVR heart defect. He was compassionate and understanding as he discussed with my wife and I. Needless to say we are extremely thankful of Dr. Kalfa as he undoubtedly was part of the team of healthcare professionals that saved our newborn boy's life.
in New York, NY |
There are some amazing people who exist in this world and Dr. Kalfa is one of them. Our son was diagnosed with endocarditis to his mitral valve and Dr. Kalfa was very knowledgeable about it, and reassured us that doing heart surgeries is normal for him and that our son would be ok. And he was.
in Forked River, NJ |
Dr. Kalfa is an extremely skilled surgeon. I knew I could trust him with my open heart surgery because he was very confident and reassuring. He was clear and precise about what would happen during the surgery, and I believe that he is definitely one to trust. I was nervous about the scar I would have after surgery, but now, 3 weeks post op, it's looking greater than I expected. I am very blessed and thankful to have had this surgery done by someone with great knowledge and expertise.
Dr. Kalfa saved my little girls life. From putting her on life support to putting her on an L-vad, to eventually giving her a heart transplant. He is a very skilled surgeon that you can trust your loved ones life with.
Have you seen Dr. David Kalfa, MD?
Are you Dr. Kalfa?

Medicaid
    United Healthcare HMO
    United Healthcare POS
    United Healthcare PPO

More Cardiac Surgery Specialists like Dr. Kalfa at Weill Cornell Medicine's Cardiothoracic Surgery