Dr. David Irizarry, MD

Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism •  Male • Age 39

Dr. Irizarry

East Tennessee Medical Group

266 Joule St Alcoa, TN 37701

Dr. David Irizarry, MD is a Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Specialist in Alcoa, TN and has over 10 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Irizarry has more experience with Diabetes and Thyroid Disorders than other specialists in his area. He graduated from The School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences SUNY at Buffalo medical school in 2010. He is affiliated with Blount Memorial Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Irizarry to book an appointment.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Diabetes, Metabolism & Endocrinologists in your area

See similar Diabetes, Metabolism & Endocrinologists in Alcoa

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Dr. Irizarry accepts

Dr. Irizarry accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
Blue Care HMO
BlueDental Choice
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Preferred PPO
Select HMO

No malpractice claims found for Tennessee

Diabetes

Diabetes specialists manage and treat a range of diabetes-related conditions including type 1 and type 2 diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis through procedures such as continuous glucose monitoring and insulin therapy.

Typically treats 78% more than their peers

Dr. Irizarry treats this condition more than 98% of their peers

Diabetes With Renal Manifestations
high
high

Dr. Irizarry treats Diabetes With Renal Manifestations more than 87% of their peers

Dr. Irizarry treats this condition more than 87% of their peers

Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Dr. Irizarry performs Continuous Glucose Monitoring more than 74% of their peers

Dr. Irizarry performs this procedure more than 74% of their peers

Thyroid Disorders

Thyroid disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the thyroid gland, including hyperparathyroidism, thyroid disease, and thyroid nodules.

Typically treats 53% more than their peers

• Hypothyroidism
  • Kidney Disease
  • Lipid Disorders
  • Malaise and Fatigue
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Overweight

Dr. Irizarry's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Irizarry

Dr. Irizarry?
What People Say About Dr. David Irizarry, MD
Finding Dr. Irizarry has been a blessing! Dr.Irizarry has always taken the time to review labs and any concerns that I have had. I have made such an improvement in my health since I began seeing him. He is a compassionate physician who really cares about his patients! I highly recommend Dr. Irizarry!!!
CT – Jun 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I have had the pleasure of establishing with Dr. Irizarry for treatment of my hypothyroidism in October 2019. During my first visit we discussed my desire to loose weight. Was I in for a surprise! Dr. Irizarry has expressed so much passion with his medical knowledge helping me with this journey. I have lost over forty pounds in four months, and I feel strongly it's because he is my coach and cheerleader. He continues to give me guidance and encouragement at each visit. My blood pressure meds were cut in half at my last visit. I highly recommend him to all my friends and share my journey often.
Karen Hobby – May 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I was referred to Dr Irizarry by my family doctor for a thyroid nodule that , upon exam, was found to be cancerous. Dr Irizarry patiently explained treatment options available to me. In February I was referred to a surgeon for removal and had my follow up visit a month later with Dr Irizarry with no complications and cancer free. He was caring, kind and attentive to my concerns all along the way. I highly recommend him.
Chris Prozzo – May 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I've been seeing him a yr and half. I'm 5yr post bariatric sleeve with 40lb wt gain after 112lb wt loss. I struggled with this 40lb wt gain and he recommended me to try a different epilepsy med after being stable on one I trusted for 25yrs with no episodes (also consulted with a neurologist which he referred me to). He also added me on an injectable diabetes med due to a history of diabetes. I was also on mood stabilizer, in which he recommended changing. All of the meds I was on were contributing factors to my wt gain and I've done very well on all the new meds. I've lost 39lbs so far. I've had no episodes with the new epilepsy med. He has helped me to figure out the depths of the meds I was on. He is so good at explaining things to where you can understand it. He is very knowledgeable and diligent in his research. This certainly didn't happen over night and it's a life long process of change. I would highly recommend him to anyone and I most definitely trust him.
Apr 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I’ve been going to Dr. Irizarry for over a year now and he’s the best Dr. For treating diabetes I’ve ever had. I had three other Doctors in the past but he’s the best. Under his treatment he managed to get me off insulin. I’ve lost weight under his management and I feel great. He got my A1C down from 11.0 to 7.0 and still falling. He really cares about ones health and if you follow his directions you’ll be in better health in no time. He gave me back my life and I owe him so much. Under his management I’ve lost over 50 pounds and I feel better then I have in years. If you’re looking for a great doctor to manage you’re diabetes you’re search is over. I recommend Dr. Irizarry to anyone who looking to get they’re diabetes under control. He’s the best. Thank you so much Dr. David Irizarry.
Wayne Suttles – Feb 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I was referred to Dr Irizzary by my family physician to evaluate a thyroid nodule found during a MRI. The nodule was biopsied and found to be cancer. From my first visit, I felt I was in excellent hands. Dr Irizzary impressed me with his knowledge in his field and the thorough manner in which he explained everything concerning my thyroid cancer. I have followed his recommendations and have been very pleased with the outcome. I am looking forward to being in his competent care for years to come. I highly recommend him.
Sue in Maryville , TN – Feb 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Very personal and easy to understand. Thorough in explaining the situation and considerate of my time.
Ruthie – Jan 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I have been Dr. Irizarry’s patient since August 2019. From my first visit, I felt I was in excellent hands. He impressed me with his knowledge in his field and the thorough manner in which he explained everything concerning my health issues. I have followed his recommendations and have been extremely pleased with the outcome. I am looking forward to being in his competent care for years to come. Plus, he is very caring and gives hugs to his patients.
Gail Schmid in Maryville , TN – Dec 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Dr. Irizarry is the most sensitive doctor I have ever had treating me. He explains everything in words understandable to us patients. He works very hard to help get your medications accessible to you. He has a true heart for what he does and for his patients. I would tell anyone that would need an endocrinologist to go to him.
Tracey Costa – Dec 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Dr. Irizarry is fabulous! My primary care physician had been watching a module on my thyroid gland for over a year. On the last ultrasound, the nodule had changed. He referred me to Dr Irizzary but is was going to be 6-8 weeks before I could see him. I asked my PCP to make a referral to another doctor and is response” he is the best.” In addition, his office was able to see me in about a week. Dr Irizarry explained everything in detail where it was easy to understand. I had a needle biopsy a couple weeks later. The nodule was in a very difficult place. He talk to me through the biopsy and made me feel at ease. The procedure went perfectly with very little bruising. After the procedure we talked about what the road might look like ahead. Dr. Irizarry is brilliant, kind, and listens to his patients. I would not go anywhere else. Thank you Dr. Irizarry.
Nov 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I was recommended to Dr. David Irizarry when he was practicing in Wellington, FL. I was absolutely amazed to find a doctor as intelligent, caring and wonderful as he. I had gained quite a bit of weight after menopause and became diabetic even when I ran 5-10 miles a day and stuck to a low calorie diet. All the other endocrinologists didn't believe me. Dr. Irizarry worked very hard to find out how to solve my problem. Since he was just starting a family and needed to take time with his family had to move to Nashville where his practice wouldn't take up as much of his time. He thought his patients in FL didn't understand his need for family. But he was wrong. We loved him so much we knew no one could replace him. He has been gone for over 2 years and I may need to visit him in TN because he is the best endo. If you use him, do not stray. This man is a genius and meant to help people. He just doesn't realize it yet.
Debra Katz – Oct 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I was a patient of Dr. Irizarry’s before he went to TN. He is one of a kind and greatly missed by me. I went to him for a second opinion after a thyroid biopsy and he was so caring. He sat down with us and went over everything in detail and took his time. After my surgery when we found out I had cancer, he again went over every possible detail and was noticeably upset that my thyroid was cancerous. TN is very lucky to have him.
Liann – Sep 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Dr. Irizarry is an excellent choice for an endocrinologist. He is very knowledgeable and compassionate about his patients’s well being. He actually takes the time to help you learn about your condition so that you can manage your health better. His staff is also very caring. I am very glad that Dr. Irizarry is my physician. I have confidence in his treatment decisions. I believe that he will do all that he can to ensure that I receive the highest quality care possible. Dr. Irizarry treats you as an individual, and not just another number. He seems devoted to helping you restore your health, and committed to being a part of your health care team.
Linda in Knoxville, TN – Aug 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
When’s the last time a doctor came into your exam room and wasn’t staring at a computer screen huffing about their patient load? I was astonished when I met Dr. Irizarry. He came into the room each time I saw him with a huge smile on his face, asked questions and clarified if he didn’t understand my answer, and once he had an idea of diagnosis; he drew several pages of diagrams and differentials to support his theory. Once I completely understood what we were getting tests for, what the tests would tell us, and all the logistics of each scenario, he saw a bit of worry on my face. Dr. Irizarry took the time to comfort me and even provided some recommended websites to learn from. Shortly I’ll be released back to my general physician but if I could have all of my health explained, monitored, and tested by Dr. I, I certainly would. As a side note- I couldn’t help but label every appointment on my personal calendar as “rollin with that endo”, so that’s a plus...
Jacob – Jul 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
If Webster Dictionary had a definition of a perfect doctor, you would find this man’s name there! During my first visit he educated and explained, in layman’s terms, everything about my thyroid cancer that had been ignored at a large Endocrinology group in Knoxville Tn. What a huge difference!! On my follow up visit I was given the option of ordering my same Synthroid medication through a company that saved me half the cost and probally will keep me out of the donut hole with my Medicare RX insurance company next year. I can’t forget his wonderful staff because they are an extension of him. I am happy to give this young, very knowledgeable doctor, a five star! He unbelievable, really. JoElla Anderson
JoElla Anderson in Maryville , TN – Jun 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Great physician. I never feel rushed or like I'm just a number. He talks with me instead of to me. When I leave an appointment I truly feel that I understand the next steps in my treatment. This guy is a rock star. He even writes out the plan in front of me explaining it as he goes. I would recommend him to anyone.
G Huffman in Maryville, TN – Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
What I love is that he is so thorough & explains everything on a level that I understand. I never leave his office confused. I always feel I have been given the best he has to offer. He’s so personable and he takes the time to get to know you and you can bet nothing you say is silly to him. He gets to the deeper reasons why you’re having the issues you’re having and explores things you wouldn’t even have thought about! I cannot say enough good things about him. I highly recommend him.
Maranda Boothe in Maryville , TN – Feb 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Irizarry's office after months of noticing lots of swelling in my upper eyes, immediately I scheduled an appt with Dr. Irizarry who is by far the most competent MD I've ever came across in my personal & professional life. He sent me out for blood work, every visit afterwards was such a great experience, everything was explained to me with pictures so I could understand. My swelling has gone down tremendously and my thyroid levels are within limits. Highly recommend this Doc
FL – Sep 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Dr. Irizarry is an excellent practitioner. He is thorough and very down to earth. Both my husband and I have been going to him. Unfortunately, we just learned that he is leaving the practice. We are terribly sad to hear this. He is an awesome endocrinologist, who takes the time to review his patients historyand symptoms and he works with his patients to develop a plan for optimal management.
Christine in Lake Worth, FL – Sep 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?
Dr. Irizarry saw my husband this past year for diagnosed hyperparathyroidism, and discovered nodules on his thyroid. We were referred to the Norman Center, and to Dr. Gary Clayman, at Tampa General Hospital, where surgery removed the cancerous parathyroid gland: Dr. Clayman did a thyroidectomy, as it turned out my husband had thyroid cancer. His prognosis is excellent, and Dr. Irizarry has given me the best gift of all: a healthy husband. He is the VERY best doctor EVER. Compassionate, caring!
Rosemary Silver in Wellington, FL – Aug 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Irizarry, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Irizarry?

I diagnose and manage all general aspects of endocrine diseases, and am board certified in Obesity Medicine. I also have additional training in the assessment of thyroid nodules, as well as the diagnosis and management of most thyroid cancers. <...

• Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism