Dr. David Hunter, MD

Dr. David Hunter, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Dr. Hunter is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist that specializes in cataract and refractive surgery, including LASIK, medical and surgical management of glaucoma, treatment of dry eye disease, and plastic surgery of the eyelids. He strives to treat his patients like family while providing the highest quality, most state-of-the-art technology to obtain the best vision possible for each patient. Dr. Hunter has a particular interest in helping patients reduce their dependence on glasses following cataract surgery by use of laser-assisted cataract surgery and premium intraocular lens implantation for astigmatism and presbyopia. Dr. Hunter also offers Drop Less cataract surgery for his patients. He also serves as the Medical Director of SunGates' Dry Eye Center of Excellence serving the LowCountry. A native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Dr. Hunter graduated from the University of North Carolina where he obtained a business degree from the Kenan-Flagler Business School and also played Division I football. He completed his medical school at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC and internship in Internal Medicine at the University of North Carolina. He then completed his medical and surgical training through his residency at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Hunter feels very blessed to have three wonderful boys, Preston, Worth, and Grayson with his wife, Marsha Wedgeworth Hunter, who was born and raised on Hilton Head Island. They love being back in the LowCountry and can often be found enjoying the outdoors, either at the beach or out hunting and fishing. Dr. Hunter maintains membership in the following professional societies: American Academy of Ophthalmology American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery South Carolina Medical Society Dr. Hunter is now accepting patients at the Hilton Head, Okatie and Lady's Island location of SunGate Medical Group.

Sungate Medical Group

10 William Pope Dr

Bluffton, SC 29909

• EyeMed Vision Care
  • MedCost
  • Select Health of South Carolina
  • Vision Service Plan (VSP)

Learn about Dr. Hunter

I am committed to giving you individualized, thorough medical and surgical eye care using the most advanced technology and surgical techniques available. Both myself and my staff strive to educate and encourage every patient so that they can be involved in all aspects of their care.

I believe every patient deserved to be treated like family and provide them with the highest quality, most state-of-the-art technology to obtain the best vision possible for them.

Dr. Hunter's Experience

Dr. Hunter's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• LASIK
  • Laser Cataract Surgery
  • Medical and Surgical Management of Glaucoma
  • Oculoplastic Surgery
  • Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
  • Physical Examination
  • Pterygium Surgery
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
  • Repair of Eye Laceration
  • Soft Contact Lenses
  • Sutureless Cataract Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

• University of North Carolina At Chapel Hill
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2006
  • Medical University of South Carolina
    Medical School | Graduated 2011
  • University of North Carolina Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2012
  • University of North Carolina Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Hunter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hunter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hunter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hunter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hunter to family and friends
Dr. Hunter Says:

I appreciate your time in submitting a patient survey. My goal is to provide every patient with a 5 star experience throughout their entire care. If you received great service and attention, please tell a friend. If you did not, please tell me or my staff because we are committed to providing you the best care.

Dr. Hunter's Performance
in Bluffton, SC |
I'm mayra Rodriguez really happy with the results of my surgery it's like a miracle for me to see perfectly with out my glasses. Thanks to Dr. Hunter and crew.
in Hardeeville sc |
Dr. Hunter is awesome! Great experience. My vision is now 20/20!
in Bluffton, SC |
Absolutely wonderful experience! Life changer. Should have had this done earlier. Thanks guys!! Well done. ??
in Bluffton, SC |
I received excellent care from Dr Hunter. He really cares about his patients and spends whatever time is needed to answer all your questions. I had cataract surgery in both eyes and Dr Hunter helped me to select the right lens for me and I now have perfect far and near vision. Thank you, Dr. Hunter! I can't recommend him enough.
in Bluffton, South Carolina |
I definitely would recommend Dr. Hunter. I have been a patient at Sungate Medical Group for ever since I moved to Sun City, over three years ago. As I was having problems with dry eyes, the staff recommended I see Dr. Hunter. He immediately took the time and concern to help me. Dr. Hunter performed a procedure "Lipiflow Thermal Pulsation" Treatment. About a week after the procedure, along with following the instructions, my eyes have improved greatly. My eyes are now pain-free.
in Bluffton SC |
Dr Hunter has a great staff and it is obvious that he cares about me as a patient which overflows into how his staff takes care of everyone. He is a phenomenal surgeon and I love my full vision without any glasses since he took care of my cataracts.
in Marion, SC |
Dr. Hunter has the strongest skill set of any doctor I have ever seen! He doesn't just wait to talk, he actually listened to me and my needs. So when he did my LASIK eye surgery it not only exceeded my expectations but met all my personal needs! Take it from someone who has worked in the medical profession for over ten years ..... This doctor is rare!
Have you seen Dr. David Hunter, MD?

Visit Dr. Hunter

Dr. Hunter accepts 14 insurance carriers
  • EyeMed Vision Care
  • MedCost
  • Select Health of South Carolina
  • Vision Service Plan (VSP)

Hospitals where Dr. Hunter has admitting privileges