Dr. David Herminghuysen, MD

Dr. David Herminghuysen, MD

Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism  ·
Dr. David Herminghuysen, MD is an endocrinology, diabetes & metabolism specialist in New Bern, NC and has been practicing for 30 years. He graduated from LA STATE UNIV SCH OF MED IN SHREVEPORT in 1985 and specializes in endocrinology, diabetes & metabolism and internal medicine.Read his story

702 Newman Rd

New Bern, NC 28562

Learn about Dr. Herminghuysen

See how frequently Dr. Herminghuysen performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoporosis
Obesity
Diabetes Type 2

Dr. Herminghuysen's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Herminghuysen's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Herminghuysen "Aside from the usual training needed to become a board certified endocrinologist, I have additional experiences which I draw upon to improve the quality of care I provide. I worked for 2 years towards a PhD after my years of clinical training because I wanted to learn to think critically and participate first-hand in research. I have approximately 20 years experience as a medical school professor. I enjoy teaching very much whether it be a student or patient. I think it is important for patients to understand their disease and treatment as much as possible."

This content was provided by Dr. Herminghuysen "I believe that patient care goals and guidelines set forth by the endocrine society, American diabetes association, American thyroid association and American association of clinical endocrinologist and others are established based on sound scientific theory.  As a physician, it is my duty to stay informed and use the most current knowledge available to care for my patients. With this in mind, I push to achieve  treatment goals while recognizing certain limitations  exist in individual patients. Healthcare isn't a game. It isn't good enough until it's right."

• Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism

• Diabetes, Metabolism & Endocrinology
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

• Continuous Glucose Monitoring

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• LA STATE UNIV SCH OF MED IN SHREVEPORT
  • Lsu
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988
  • Lsu School Of Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Herminghuysen has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Herminghuysen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Herminghuysen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Herminghuysen's Reviews

2.8
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Herminghuysen to family and friends

Dr. Herminghuysen's Performance

Dr. Herminghuysen Says:
"

A note on package inserts and the warnings seen on drug commercials.  When a new drug comes to market, warnings and precautions are written to encompass pretty much every possible side effect.  As clinical experience and further research is done, many of these can be put to rest.  However, the package is rarely amended to reflect this. This occurs because the drug company does not spend the huge amounts of money and

...

Dr. H spent 45 minutes in explanation on our first visit. He was willing to LISTEN to my concerns, make suggestions, compromise on the elements open to compromise. I was reassured and satisfied. Over two years my prognosis has IMPROVED. His office staff is approachable and informed.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
A pleasure to have on my team taking care of me!! Thank you for saving my life!!!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr H is amazing! I found out more in the first two visits with him than I did in the past twenty years!!!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
I was treated by Herminghuysen for about 6 months. I saw him once and the rest of my care was abdicated to his PA and nurses. I became very sick on the prescribed medicine protocol from Herminghuysen. Due to the side effects which I was very consistent in reporting to the CCHC care team, I hat to...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option

Although the package insert contains warnings regarding the risk of pancreatic problems with victoza and similar drugs, this concern has been put to rest for over 5 years. Unfortunately, package inserts are not often updated to remove such information.

I saw Dr. Herminghuysen as a new patient when he first came to New Bern. I chalked up his hurried "beside manner" to the fact that he was busy that day. He put me on Victoza, an injectable medicine, which I took for about 4 weeks until I became so weak I could not get out of bed. Why didn't Dr....more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option

Victoza does not cause pancreatitis. Diabetics have a much higher incidence of pancreatitis than individuals that do not have diabetes. This is in part related to their tendency to have high triglycerides. Package inserts are rarely updated to remove such concerns because that would require a substantial investment from the pharmaceutical company. The issue of panceatitis and this class of drug has been put to rest for over 5 years.