Dr. David Grischkan, MD

General SurgeryMaleAge 74

General Surgery

Dr. David Grischkan, MD is a General Surgery Specialist in Beachwood, OH and has over 49 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from MCGILL UNIVERSITY / FACULTY OF MEDICINE in 1974.

Dr. David Grischkan, MD
24025 Commerce Park Beachwood, OH 44122

Compare with other General Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Grischkan with our nearby General Surgery Specialists at Cleveland Clinic.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Cleveland Clinic.

Dr. Grischkan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Grischkan

Got hernias? Look NO further....
I unequivocally recommend Dr. David Grischkan and the Hernia Center of Ohio. I can’t stress enough the benefits of their Shouldice, non-mesh repair method. I had a severe umbilical hernia for over 15 years! I didn’t want to pursue surgery because of the horror stories - the overuse of mesh - extended, painful recovery period - complications that can follow… But I am SO thankful I found Dr. Grischkan! He contacted me PERSONALLY a few days before the surgery to thoroughly answer any questions or concerns that I had. He is honest, confident and a wealth of knowledge. My particular surgery was more complicated than anticipated, and ended up actually being TWO hernias - one umbilical and one ventricle - side by side. No worries for this highly skilled surgeon! My post-op pain was minimal, and within two weeks I had no restrictions! Because of the severity of my hernias, Dr. Grischkan had to completely reconstruct my navel, and now, one year later - it looks like I never even had surgery!
Richard Stevens – Feb 08, 2023
Wonderful Results
After doing my research for a non invasive hernia surgery, I chose Dr. David Grischkan. Dr. Grischkan performed a Shouldice repair with miniscule amount of mesh for my "cantalope" size hernia. I have had minimal pain and excellent results and would highly recommend Dr. Grischkan for difficult hernia cases.
NATHAN KIDD – Oct 13, 2022
Excellent doctor
Highly recommend Dr. Grischkan. Very experienced and explained well. Surgery recovery was very fast.
Sinthuja Paul – Oct 08, 2022
Flew from ND to see Dr. Grischkan
I had an inguinal hernia. Was very concerned about the repair process as I enjoy being very active. Came across the Shouldice Method of repair and Dr. Grischkan. Spoke with him over the phone and flew out to Ohio a few weeks later for the procedure. The size of hernia was larger than he had expected based on evaluation. Had the procedure done on Thursday and was back working with patients on Tuesday - I am a Chiropractor. I followed his post-op instructions and walked 4 hours a day for over a week. Took otc meds for pain relief after surgery for a handful of days. Was back to workouts in 2 weeks, full strength sprints in about a month. I’m over a year out of surgery and cannot recommended Dr. Grischkan enough. He fixes hernia’s. That’s it, it’s his focus. I choose a specialist over a generalist. Wisdom and expertise was what I was looking for when I flew from North Dakota to Ohio. I got it. Pricing was completely transparent.
chris schwab – May 24, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Having experienced the advantage of Shouldice repair and the rapid recovery, I would like to point out that the interaction with Dr. Grischkan was reassuring and relaxing, the post-operative pain was minimal and the long hoped for return to normal life was so fast attained and continual. Thank you.
Apr 26, 2022
Quick Recovery and Peace of Mind
I went to Dr. Grischkan because I had developed an inguinal hernia while on vacation with my family. I was quite worried because, having friends who had hernia surgeries elsewhere in the past, I knew the results can be mixed when going to just any general surgeon. Because of this concern, I researched many options in the US and Canada and found that we have a specialist in hernia repair right here in NE Ohio. I immediately scheduled an appointment with Dr. Grischkan at the Hernia Center of Ohio to hear what I was up against. Not only did Dr. Grischkan promise a much quicker recovery than anything I had read about, but he stayed with me in the consultation long enough to help me understand what I was dealing with. He put me at ease with his calm but confident demeanor, and patiently answered all of my questions. I got on the surgery schedule quite soon, and four days after surgery I was already hiking near lake Michigan with my 2 two year old son on my back!
David Gritter – Mar 20, 2022
Umbilical Hernia Fixed.
Dr. Grischkan is everything you'd want in a surgeon. He is soft spoken, listens, is knowledgeable, and has a great bed-side manner. He is an excellent surgeon and excels in the field of hernia repair. I had a small umbilical hernia repaired January 6th and was back to work Jan 10th. All of my questions were answered before I even went in for surgery. I was thrilled with the shouldice technique that provided me with no mesh, no gas and no large incision. I only had to take a couple Advils for pain the second day. His staff took care of me from start to finish. I highly recommend The Hernia Center of Ohio.
Laura Gorczyca – Feb 09, 2022
JUST DO IT!
I lived with an umbilical hernia for 10 years. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't fun either. I held off because I'm a research nut and often I would hear about residual pain, complications from mesh, regret from people who had the surgery. Not wanting to go from manageable to misery, I held off. Eventually, I began to read about Dr. Tomas in Florida & Dr. Kevin Peterson in Las Vegas who touted no mesh surgery. Living in Pittsburgh, it just wasn't convenient to make that trip with my work. I kept searching and thank goodness found Dr. Grischkan - I think it was meant to be. Let me tell you, today is exactly 14 days from the surgery and I've already forgotten I had the surgery unless I have my shirt off, then I remember because I have my "inny" belly button back! The pain was entirely tolerable, as soon as the surgery was over, I was up and putting my clothes on ten minutes later. No lengthy recovery, I'm back in business and lifting weights 10 days later. JUST DO IT!
Kristofer Sens – Feb 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. Grischkan performed double belly button hernia surgery on me, four days later I was comfortably working out and going about my daily business. I had minimal to no pain the entire time after my surgery and needed zero pain medicine. Everything about Dr. Grischkan - his surgical procedures, team, operating facility... is first class. I recommend anyone I know needing of a hernia surgery to Dr. Grischkan, we are lucky to have him.
Loreto Iafelice Jr. – Jan 27, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Pre-Op meeting went smooth. Operation Day I was in at 10am and heading home by 2pm walking out the door. Highly recommended if you desire a non-Mesh procedure. Dr. Grischkan is the best!!!
P Merkel – Jan 13, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Much appreciation to Dr. Grischkan and staff for the very professional care given to his patients. I waited many years (I would now highly recommend having hernia repair ASAP) to have hernia surgery…praise God for leading me to Dr. Grischkan’s hernia repair technique! Dr. Grischkan thoroughly explained what his expectations were for my surgery. I had no complications during surgery or recovery. I’m grateful for the therapies that provided help for healing. Very few USA physicians perform mesh-less hernia surgeries and I’m thankful for Dr. Grischkan’s perseverance and skill.
CB – Jan 08, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. Grischkan took his time to explained the procedure, and repaired my hernia without using mesh. The recovery was quick, and I'm back to doing everything I use to do before the injury. All the staff were informative and friendly.
Dec 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. Grischkan clearly explained the procedure and also what needed to be done during the recovery process. His knowledge on hernias is far greater than the medical providers where I reside; hence, the reason for traveling out of town for this procedure.
Nov 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Inguinal hernia. Dr. Grichkan's diagnosis and repair were spot on. No mesh needed. Recovery is proceeding as expected. I followed his suggested recovery plan, and was pleased with how quickly I started coming up to speed. He and his staff answered any and all questions I could throw their way before and after the surgery. I highly recommend him.
Oct 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. Grischkan was very professional along with his office and surgical staff. Dr. G explained the procedure, answering all my questions. My surgery was practically painless and recovery time was extremely quick. I was back walking 4 miles a day on the fourth day after surgery . . . . no pain, no discomfort. If you need hernia surgery contact Dr. Grischkan. He is the BEST!!!!!!
Marilyn S. – Oct 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
EXTREAMLY IMPRESSED FROM START TO FINISH. Dr. Grischkan was just fantastic, as well as his staff and facility. I had a very large and difficult umbilical hernia that I had learned to live with for a long time. I remember going into the operating room, saying hello to everyone, and the next thing I know I woke up in the recovery. Just could not have been better. The results were phenomenal, and I never experienced any pain or discomfort. I only took 2 Advil in the 24 hrs after the surgery. If your thinking of having surgery to fix a hernia, I would recommend Dr. Grischkan and The Hernia Center of Ohio 1000%, without hesitation. The staff were great, friendly, attentive, and provided all the pertinent information in a very professional manner. Facility was very nice and very clean. I cannot think of enough nice things to say about Dr. Grischkan himself. Really a remarkable person in every way. Its only been 8 days and I'm just sorry I did not find this Dr. a long time ago.
Robert C – Oct 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. G took the time to call me personally and explain his procedure. He is timely, and explains his technique well. Surgery went well and recovery very good.
L. Fink – Sep 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
I had being dealing with an umbilical hernia for about 15 years. I began to notice some pain and the area of the hernia continued to grow. I researched physicians in my area that specialized in hernia repairs. Dr. Grischkan's web site stated that his method of repairs would have me back on my feet within a few days. I am a firefighter and was hoping not to have considerable down time. Dr. Grischkan uses sedative anesthesia and woke right up after the procedure with no residual anesthetic effects. Dr. Grischkan has you walking on the day of the procedure for 2 hours and then up to 4 hours for the next 4 days. I was able to meet those requirements and felt GREAT! I did not need any pain medication (including over the counter). If you visit the site, it explains the procedures and expectations. I can attest that all of the information is true. I had the procedure on Thursday and was back to work on Monday.
Jun 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Insread of sutures, and to obviosly save time, Dr Grischkan used stainless steel staples. He was like a kid with a new toy. I know can feel about 20 staples (10 on each side of my abdomen) that have developed scar tissue. After 3 failed herna surgeries by Dr Grischkan, I now need a 4th hernia surgery and probably even a 5th. Dr. Grischkan is neither skilled nor honest with his patients. I suggest avoiding this surgeon like the plague.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jun 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?
Dr. Grischkan and his staff are highly skilled and professional. I was treated as a patient, not a number or "case." My condition was complicated and I put off seeking care because of the complicated medical and social environment we are all enduring. I always felt safe and well cared for. My quality of life is now infinitely better after Dr. Grischkan's surgery.
Susan Crawford – May 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. David Grischkan, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Grischkan?