Orthopedic Sports Medicine  |
Dr. David Abrutyn, MD
Dr. Abrutyn is Team Orthopedic Surgeon for the Somerset Patriots Baseball Club and Immaculata High School Athletics in Somerville. He is Former Team Physician for Sky Blue Football Club (FC) New Jersey Women's Professional Soccer Team. He is a recipient of the Arthroscopy Association of North America Resident Fellow Basic Science Essay Award and Long Island Jewish Medical Center Resident of the Year Award. Dr. Abrutyn has earned the MDx Medical, Inc. Patient's Choice Most Compassionate Doctor Award and Inside NJ and Healthy Living Top Doctor Award. Former captain of his high school varsity basketball team, baseball team, and soccer team, Dr. Abrutyn understands the importance of prevention as well as expert orthopedic diagnosis and treatment. He notes, "As long as I can remember I wanted to be a doctor. My interest in orthopedics sparked when I tore my ACL in high school and benefited from outstanding treatment that made it possible for me to eventually run the New York Marathon and continue playing basketball. My passion for athletics, fitness, and medicine made orthopedic surgery a natural and gratifying career choice." Dr. Abrutyn adds, "In addition to helping establish realistic expectations, educating my patients about their conditions and treatment options allows them to partner with me to achieve the best possible outcomes." When he is not working with his patients, Dr. Abrutyn enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, spinning, and working out.

215 Union Ave Ste B

• Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • MagnaCare

Learn about Dr. Abrutyn

See how frequently Dr. Abrutyn performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Joint Pain
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain
Knee Disorders

Dr. Abrutyn's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Abrutyn "Utilizing the most highly advanced technologies, we provide both nonsurgical and surgical treatments for injuries and illnesses that damage muscles, bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and other connective tissue that make up the musculoskeletal system. We also offer guidance and education, from diagnosis through follow-up, to enable patients to make informed decisions about their treatment options. Knowing that you may be anxious about your visit, we strive to give you the most positive healthcare experience. From the moment you enter our door, you will feel instantly at ease. Our warm and personable front-desk staff will greet you and answer all your appointment, billing and insurance questions. And our beautiful, state-of-the-art office will keep you comfortable while you wait to see our specialists in a timely manner."

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Broken Shoulder Blade
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp

• Shoulder Replacement
  • Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Northwestern University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Southern California Sports Medicine Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005

• Patient Choice Award, 2011

Dr. Abrutyn has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Abrutyn does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Abrutyn and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Abrutyn's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Abrutyn to family and friends
Dr. Abrutyn's Performance
Hillsborough |
Dr. Abrutyn did a wonderful job repairing my son's knee after a sports injury. He always took his time explaining procedures and about the healing process too!
Hillsborough, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn did surgery on my 17 year old son for a torn ACL/Meniscus. He explained the surgery to my son, gained his confidence and he is now well on his way to recovery.
in Bound Brook, NJ |
Doctor Abrutyn is Excellent! I recommend him to everyone. My husband had experienced shoulder pain and limited range of motion for over a year. He saw Dr. Abrutyn who took xrays and did a physical exam. He knew exactly what was causing the pain and created a treatment plan that now has my husband %100 pain free! I should also mention he has a great bedside manner and his staff is wonderful! Regina his nurse is awesome! And Ashely his MA is so sweet. Thank you Dr Abrutyn and staff!
in Montgomery, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn really helped me throughout my injury by letting me know what I should stay away from and things i could do to help resolve the issue. He knew when it was time to step in a do surgery and it wasn't too late or too early, it was right on time. Overall I was very satisfied with Dr.Abrutyn and I would highly recommend to anyone with a sports injury.
in Hillsborough, new jersey |
Dr Abrutyn replaced my knee. He is the only reason I am still able to walk. All in all it was a very good experience. I love my new knee.
Bound Brook, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn was very helpful and was able to answer all of my questions about my injury. My surgery was scheduled quickly and everything went extremely well. All of my follow up appointments were smooth and now, after all that he has done, I'll be cleared to go back to sports 6 moths post surgery.
in Piscataway, nj |
On 6/13/17 I had total knee replacement surgery with Dr. Abrutyn. I was miserable with my bad knee but put off surgery for a long time. Dr. Abrutyn asked me about my goals...related to having my knee "replaced." He talked about the value of surgery and what it might mean to the quality of my life. Dr. Abrutyn is an excellent surgeon. I felt confident under his care. His team is great. It is always affirming to be valued as a person as well as a patient.
in Hillsborough, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn is a skilled, knowledgeable and confident physician. His passion for his profession is evident. I am the daughter of a highly-qualified physician so my standards are very high. He presents himself as a true professional: he is personable and concerned about his patients. His expertise is exceptional.
Quadriceps Tendon Repair
in Somerville, NJ |
Great diagnosis, surgery successful, very pleased with doctor and staff.
in Basking Ridge, NJ |
Excellent surgeon, excellent care from his staff and an overall wonderful experience. Less than 2 weeks post-surgery for a rotator cuff tear I am pain free and have excellent mobility.
Piscataway, NJ |
After a painful sports injury, I was recommended by my coach to come here. Glad I did; he was helpful, knowledgeable, and able to get me back into action with minimal damage.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn is a great surgeon. He was precise and accurate in diagnosing my injury and was focused on getting me back to training for triathlons. He stepped me through all along the process and had great presence (pre and post operation). Very happy with my choice to use him.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
I had a total right knee replacement back in October, performed by Dr. Abrutyn. Outstanding results, he is a gifted surgeon.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Dr. David Abrutyn performed bilateral knee replacement surgery on me January 24 2017 and today I played golf April 10 2017 He is the BEST!!!
Plainfield, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn was very good at making me understand my injury and what treatment he recommended. The treatment went well and Dr. Abrutyn predicted the recovery time to the dot. I was up and running exactly when the Dr. said I would be. Very warm and friendly, I really felt valued and cared for.
Scotch Plains, NJ |
Very satisfied with the doctor, his staff, the hospital ( RWJ- Somerset ) and the way they worked together. Great results on 2 knee replacement surgeries. Would highly recommend.
in Edison, NJ |
Outstanding doctor! Very friendly and knowledgeable. Had me feeling better and back to full health quicker than I expected.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Dr Abrutyn is excellent. He is very knowledge and professional. He made me comfortable going into surgery and saved me from having a frozen shoulder post surgery. He really knows his stuff! His front office isn't the friendliest but they are good and efficient.
Basking Ridge, NJ |
My father recently had a full knee replacement performed by Dr. Abrutyn. It was an outstanding experience from the first appointment, pre-surgery preparation, surgery, recovery and rehabilitation. I would highly recommend him and the Summit Medical Group.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Awesome Doctor... i had surgery 10 years ago on my knee and recently had surgery on my knee and chose dr abrutyn again. he is attentive, careful, and you do not leave his office feeling confused. you know the exact plan. i would recommend Dr abrutyn to friends and family.
in Manville, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn is an outstanding surgeon. He has repaired both my bicep and rotator cuff. I have recommended him several times to both friends and family. I have the highest level of confidence in his ability.
in So. Plainfield, NJ |
I had knee replacement surgery in December. Dr. Abrutyn did a wonderful job. 6 weeks later I am driving and going back to work. He came highly recommended and I would recommend him to anyone.
in Greenbrook nj |
Dr. Abrutyn diagnosed and repaired my torn meniscus. I have had no issues after surgery and my knee hasn't felt this good in years. I highly recommend Dr. Abrutyn.
in Nj |
Easy going Dr who cares about t your welling being.
in Piscataway, NJ |
Would highly recommend Dr. Abrutyn. Had complete reverse shoulder replacement and you can hardly see the scar. Way ahead in therapy because of the great job that was done.
in Somerset, NJ |
My experience with Dr. Abrutyn was spot on-- from the first appointment, evaluating my situation without being alarming , guiding me with the options and suggesting that moving forward will enhance my physical life. He explained in detail how the process worked and made himself available for questions at any time I deemed necessary. The facilities were clean and orderly and at no time was I uncomfortable. I highly recommend Dr. Abrutyn .
in Somerville, NJ |
dr. Abrutyn was very concerned about my son and his football injury, easy to talk to and answered all our questions.
in East Brunswick, NJ |
After tearing my right rotator cuff and multiple tendons, Dr Abrutyn preformed endoscopic surgery to repair the damage. The results were excellent and I have full use of my arm with no pain after 2 years of hard use working in the electrical trade. I highly recommend him.
in Neshanic Station, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn has taken care of both myself, and my high school son, for sports related injuries to our knees. I had an ACL replacement, and my son had torn his MCL. Dr. Abrutyn has one of the most courteous and patient staffs that I have had the pleasure to deal with. We received accurate diagnosis, several options for care, and answered all our questions. We could not be happier with our outcomes, and the attentiveness of the staff to our recovery. I would recommend the doctor to anyone.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Dr. Abrutyn was the kind of doctor you can only hope to get. I was a candidate for a full knee replacement but he did not pressure me. When we talked I felt he was truly interested in my reasons and apprehensions. When I decided to go through with the surgery he was helpful and explained each step right up to the morning of the surgery. Post surgery has been just as pleasant. I can't say enough about how I was treated like a person not just a patient.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
I had my right ACL replaced by Dr. Abrutyn. As an "older" athlete, I wanted someone who could relate to my fitness level and goals and would be honest, informative and supportive of my desire to get back to the activities I love. I found this with Dr. Abrutyn. The surgery and recovery have gone perfectly! I highly recommend Dr. Aburtyn. And, due to a twist in fate (no pun intended) my wife had him perform the same procedure on her torn ACL a month after my procedure!
in Green Brook, NJ |
It's been 7 weeks since Dr. Abrutyn performed my bilateral knee replacement surgery and things couldn't be going better. Dr. Abrutyn is an excellent doctor and I'd highly recommend him.
in Middlesex, NJ |
I went to Dr Abrutyn for one complete tear and a partial tear in my should from volleyball. Dr Abrutyn identified the issues and stated it would be a difficult surgery, and after 5 screws and solid PT after a years time, I'm now completely 100% back to normal. I also decided to repair a torn meniscus by him too while I was down and after a month of that I was back to playing volleyball and tennis. Thanks to you Dr. A!!!
in Colonia NJ |
Had Total Knee Replacement in May. Excellent surgeon who listens to his patients. He is direct and honest and very friendly, as well as his entire staff.
in Hillsborough, NJ |
I would highly recommend Dr. Abrutyn. He is very patient centric, takes the time to listen, and doesn't make you feel like he is rushing to get to the next patient. I can't recommend him highly enough.
in Hillsborough, NJ |
Phenomenal Dr. I cannot say enough about how lucky I was to get this Dr. I am 73 years old and a very active grandma, after breaking my ankle in three places I was so concerned that I would not be a priority. I was wrong, I was sooo well taken care of and am very grateful. My recovery was painless and speedy. I had little pain and was walking after 3 months. I have to attribute all of this to the wonderful work of the Surgeon. He really has given me my life back.
in Randolph, NJ |
Highly recommend.
in Basking Ridge, NJ |
Had shoulder injury, Dr Abrutyn tried non-surgical methods for treating. However, when the shoulder did not respond he reviewed my options and we concluded to move forward with surgery. He did a thorough job of explaining the risks and recovery timing. After he repaired my rotator cuff, performed a bicep tenodesis and smoothed out the bone spur, he provided excellent follow-up care. The relief from the pain I was experiencing before the surgery is immense and I attribute that to his skill.
in Warren, NJ |
Very conscientious and understanding. Explained my condition and options. I elected arthroscopic surgery (meniscus). No complications or issues. Great experprience overall.
in Belle Mead, NJ |
I hurt my shoulder in Europe and got the first appointment when I got back home. Dr. Abrutyn was patient and able to answer all my questions. He is conservative with his treatment and did not just recommend surgery! I started with PT and when that did not completely resolve, he gave me options and also provided the pros and cons for each. I ended up having a surgery to repair the rotator cuff tear. He explained each step to me and his follow up care was excellent. I would highly recommended him!
Have you seen Dr. David Abrutyn, MD?
Are you Dr. Abrutyn?