Dr. Darwin Chen, MD

OrthopedicsMaleAge 41

Telehealth services available

New Patient

Current Patient

Dr. Darwin Chen, MD is a Orthopedic Specialist in New York, NY and has over 15 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Columbia University / College of Physicians And Surgeons medical school in 2006. He is affiliated with Mount Sinai Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chen to book an appointment.

May Center for Mount Sinai Doctors

New Patient?
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Dept of Ophthalmology5 E 98th St Fl 7 New York, NY 10029

Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chen

4.5

11.904761904761905%

Dr. Chen?
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (35)
  • Explained conditions well (34)
  • Listened & answered questions (34)
  • Appointment was rushed (5)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (5)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (5)
Dr. Darwin Chen was put on this earth to be a doctor, a healer. You will not find a more highly skilled surgeon, particularly one who is also comprehensively (as well as minutely) dedicated to his patients' well-being. He is approachable, reachable (he returns your calls personally and surprisingly quickly), supremely conscientious, and as thorough as you shall rarely encounter. Takes your concerns seriously because he strives for a perfect outcome as much as does the patient. You can be entirely confident that you are in the best hands possible with him and his team (shout out to Patricia and PA Maureen), and be able to rest easy in that respect. I was in nightmarish pain with this hip before Dr Chen took me on, as though a small knife was stuck in the hip. He expertly removed the causes of the pain-- and it is gone. Was out of bed and walking within hours of surgery, walking w/o pain within days. Amazing. As though my hip were 30 years old again. And I'm not one who tends to gush.
JBL – Apr 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Darwin Chen is an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Chen did my anterior hip replacement surgery in June 2019. I was so fortunate to have such an accomplished surgeon do my surgery. I was only in the hospital overnight and able to go to out-patient physical therapy in two weeks. Dr. Chen, his assistant, and his staff were always available in case I had any questions. Your questions are never trivial and will always be answered. Also the Mt. Sinai nursing staff followed up for about three months after surgery. Before the surgery, I was walking short distances with a cane and couldn’t sleep because of the pain. Three months after the surgery I was walking around Disney World (without a cane) and sleeping very comfortably. I would wholly recommend Dr. Chen to anyone considering hip replacement surgery. He explains the whole procedure and your condition in easy to understand layman terms. He goes over your x-rays and answers all of your questions. He doesn’t pressure you into surg
JOSEPHINE MAGGIORE – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I don't know why I waited so long to get a hip replacement. My experience with Dr. Chen and his staff was amazing. He explained everything in detail, his staff was caring and responsive. I felt very calm and everything went like clockwork. I was up and about in hours and in few short weeks I was out walking my dog, feeling like a new person! Honestly, it was surprisingly easy and should the other hip go, I will be calling Dr. Chen again. I give him 5 stars and highly recommend him.
KL Galeotti – Apr 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is a a 6 star surgeon. I've successfully had both a knee and hip replace by Dr. Chen. Great bedside manners prior/after my surgeries. He is the best and I would recommend him to anyone thinking of having this surgery. Awesome!!!
One of the best Orthopedic surgeons in NY – Mar 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr Chen performed a full knee replacement on me in December 2020 and the results were outstanding. More importantly, he answered all my questions before and after surgery, his office staff in Manhattan were always responsive, and he responded to my own questions through the messaging system. Highly recommended!
  • Long wait times
Glenn – Mar 23, 2021
I had a total hip replacement January 2021
Susan – Mar 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
The best thing I did was choose Dr Chen and his team to perform a hip replacement on me. His team is passionate and caring. Dr Chen explained everything about the procedure and the after care down to the T. He made me feel comfortable knowing that he would perform such a serious surgery. I would choose Dr Chen and his team over and over again if I had to ! I have zero regrets!!
Nancy Rivera – Mar 17, 2021
not rushed out
Dolores Baldassare – Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I had 6-month acute hip pain during the pandemic. As soon as I could see a doctor, I had an appointment with Dr. Chen and it was determined I needed hip replacement surgery. He was kind, knowledgeable, interested in my activities before and how they had changed drastically over a short time. He was always positive and I am now pain free and walking, bicycling and have even been able to kayak. I would most definitely recommend Dr. Chen and the Mt SInai Health system. I felt safe and was well cared for by the staff at the hospital!
Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
He knows his stuff!! It took 1 1/2 years for me to find a surgeon and he was the 4th or 5th surgeon I saw and he was the ONLY one qualified as far as I was concerned to preform a reconstruction or joint replacement. The other surgeons radiology staff did not know how to take an ex ray!! I have recommended him to a family member they have had both their knees replaced and they are very satisfied with doctor Chen as well. Very glad I found him. (Thru doctors that shop at L&L camara recommended him)
Roseanna Lowry – Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen was recommended by a physician friend. I am a physician as well so I am most aware of the issues of private practice. Dr. Chen had performed bilateral hip replacements on my colleague and when we spoke, he had nothing but glowing comments. I found all of this to be true. His technical skills are beyond and his charming personality is most reassuring. I have referred a number of patients to him and they too have been very satisfied. I would recommend him to any one with total confidence and without any reservation Joel Albert,M.D
Joel Albert,M.D – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I thought it was my old nemesis sciatica. For 5 years I tried acupressure, acupuncture, hot stones, PT—nothing helped. Finally got an X-ray—no cartilage left in right hip. Oy! Surgery! Oy! Oy! Looking back I wish I had had surgery years ago. 2.5 hour anterior surgery, Actis titanium hip, 1 night at Mount Sinai, 2 weeks PT at home, 3 1/2 weeks after surgery I’m back at work—walking on a cloud. I didn’t even take all my pain pills—NO PAIN. Dr Chen must have email in his pocket because he answers MyChart queries immediately—except once I emailed him when I was in the hospital, and he appeared at my bedside 5 mins later! Great team: Love Admin Asst Cristy Alifonso & PA Maureen Phillips. I did exactly as his team directed me—used antiseptic soap 5 days on my thigh, wiggled toes, flexed ankles & slid foot up & down to restart moving. I didn’t hesitate when my other hip started hurting. Now I have a matching set of titanium hips & zero pain. Cost w Medicare A&B + AARP supplementary N = ZERO
Lynda Hill – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen replaced both my hips 6 weeks a part. I was in the first small group that had the surgeries once the hospital started to restart its elective surgeries post CoVid shutdown. Dr. Chen was recommended to me by someone who worked at Sinai. I will be forever grateful to her for doing so. Dr. Chen is professional, caring, and a fine surgeon. Within 6 weeks of the first surgery I had the 2nd hip done and within 4 weeks after that I was on my way to another state for a vacation. I was a complicated case apparently but had no complications. Stepping into Dr. Chen's office had a nostalgic feeling for me as I trained to become a nurse at Mt. Sinai, and the doctors' offices have been converted from the old student nurses residence. Dr. Chen also comes with a well respected reputation...which is well earned.
RScheuer – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I had total knee replacement in September. It was a much better experience than I anticipated. Dr. Chen and his team were professional and thorough. I would recommend him to anyone who is hesitant about replacement surgery.
Clement Vicari – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr Chen was a superb surgeon. He was knowledgeable,highly skilled and a doctor who was patient and listened. My hip replacement was totally effective and I am pain free.
Al Kotowitz – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
First, I appreciate Dr. Chen because of the successful knee surgeries I underwent at Mt Sinai along with the assistance of his staff. Again greatly thankful and fortunate. The crew not only replaced my knees but my entire life. My back was tilting prior to the operations but now I could stand and walk straight. During the COVID-19 timeframe we as patients can’t express enough our gratitude towards all medical staff. My family and I wish you continued success and greatness in the years to come. And thank you also Patricia ! God bless
Sep 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen was my surgeon for two total hip replacement surgeries. For almost thirty years, I was extremely physically active, biking, running, swimming, playing tennis and squash. But slowly over about ten years, extreme pain would develop afterwards and radiate down on the outer part of my leg. Xrays revealed I suffered from osteoarthritis. The femur bone in my hip had totally collapsed so I was referred to Dr. Chen for surgery. Happy to report everything went smoothly and soon after my surgery I was completely pain free. I recently joined the gym again and am on the elliptical, spinning bike and rowing machine. I walk an hour a day. I do yoga. I am lifting weights. I am so grateful that I decided to have surgery.
Jun 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Six months ago I had the good fortune of having a hip replacement by Dr. Chen. I have been able to return to all the activities which I love but which had been compromised during the year i deliberated about surgery-- skiing tennis,biking, spin class, and hiking. i am even back to wearing high heels. I am grateful every day. *****
Apr 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Six months ago, Dr. Darwin Chen performed anterior left hip replacement surgery on me and I am thrilled with the results. I felt very little pain after the surgery and was home within two days of the surgery. I barely needed use of the walker. Prior to the surgery, I was in intense pain and limping terribly. Post surgery I was pain-free and walking normally. I do the stretching exercises daily that I learned in physical therapy and this keeps m 70+ year old legs and hips working well. I strongly recommend Dr. Chen as your surgeon and doctor. He is the best! The care I received at Mount Sinai Hospital (NYC) was superb.
Mar 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Each visit to Dr. Chen was professional, kind, organized and timely. My condition was clearly diagnosed. Dr. Chen offered me Detailed explanations about the need for surgery, what to expect without reconstructive knee surgery, consenting to the procedure ( in both knees) and post surgery. My condition was difficult because of the severity of arthritis damage, but surgery was a reasonable option to remedy my physical limitations. I decided to have the surgery. Dr. Chen’s treatment post surgery included close monitoring with visits and phone calls. I contracted an infection and Dr. Chen treated this issue quickly and I always felt confident that I would be fine because of his professionalism and reassurance. Today, ten months later my crooked unstable walk is history, and looking back not only was consenting to the surgery was an excellent decision, selecting Dr. Chen as my surgeon was a better decision. He is an incredible doctor and a kind human being. I will never forget him.
Anthony Fludd – Mar 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?

No malpractice claims found for New York

Check Dr. Chen's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Chen's Top Procedures and Conditions

Osteoarthritis

Dr. Chen treats Osteoarthritis more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Chen treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Osteoarthritis of Ankle
  • Osteoarthritis of Elbow
  • Osteoarthritis of Finger Joint
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Toe
  • Osteoarthritis of Wrist
Hide other areas of care
Osteoarthritis of Hip

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture Injection
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • McMurray's Test
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Pelvic Fracture
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Runner's Knee
  • Trigger Finger
  • Unicompartmental Hip Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Chen accepts

Dr. Chen accepts the following insurance:

Select
MagnaCare
Medicare
Special Needs Plan SNP
Oxford Health Plans

Dr. Darwin Chen is an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital, in the Leni and Peter W. May Department of Orthopaedics. He specializes...Read more

• Orthopedics