Dr. Darwin Chen, MD

Dr. Darwin Chen, MD

OrthopedicsMaleAge 42

Orthopedics

Dr. Darwin Chen, MD is a Orthopedic Specialist in New York, NY. He is affiliated with medical facilities Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai South Nassau. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

May Center for Mount Sinai Doctors

New Patient?

Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island

Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island5 Cuba Hill Rd Greenlawn, NY 11740
New Patient?

• Practices at Top Hospital America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award™ See hospitals

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at May Center for Mount Sinai Doctors

Dr. Chen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chen

4.5

Dr. Chen

I had total knee replacement on August 6 at Mt Sinai South Nassau I was 100 percent satisfied with the Doctor and the hospital
Thomas King – Oct 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr Chen was recommended to me and once I visited him in his office to receive an evaluation, I knew I was with the right doctor. From the first meeting Dr. Chen was on time, professional and informative. The surgery was very successful and my recovery was amazing being able to play golf 3 weeks following surgery with zero pain. He and his team have stayed in touch to insure I am doing well. I highly recommend that if you need a hip operation you check with Dr.Chen
Strong recommendation for Dr. Chen – Sep 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Darwin Chen gave me back my life! I had an unsuccessful knee replacement in August 2020 by another doctor. Dr. Chen performed a total revision July 2021. There were several things wrong in my first surgery and Dr. Chen removed the replacement and started again. I am living life again! Dr. Chen treats all his patients like family. He returns phone calls quickly and spends countless time with his patients answering all questions and allaying their fears. Patricia in his office is extremely helpful and is always available to go out of her way to meet each patient’s needs. Dr. Chen’s staff is so knowledgeable and work tirelessly to ensure the success of the surgery. I am truly on the road to an active life once again due to the expertise, caring and compassion that sets Dr. Chen apart from so many doctors today. Dr. Chen allows you to voice your concerns, and his ability to listen carefully inspires total confidence. He is truly a hero to me!
Susan Sohmer – Sep 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr Chen had an amazing bed side manner. He knew how upset I was about staying in the hospital after surgery and he visited me at least three times to check on me.
McKay – Sep 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
All of my visits with Dr. Chen have been 100% satisfying on many levels. First of all, Dr. Chen possesses a unique ability to communicate complex situations in language that a patient understands. In addition, he is very patient in both listening to his patients & responding to their questions & concerns. Finally, Dr. Chen takes a personal interest in his patient’s recovery with follow up phone calls. He is truly unique in this respect. He has outstanding surgical skills & has received glowing praise from every one of his patients that I have encountered. In conclusion, I highly recommend Dr. Chen as one of the best orthopedic surgeons for hip & knee replacement.
Sep 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen performed a total replacement of my left hip in March 2021. Throughout our interactions before, during and after the procedure, he was kind, attentive, empathetic and thorough. I am very pleased, not only with the results, but by the process. I will shortly have my other hip replaced also, of course by Dr. Chen.
Stuart Litt – Sep 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is one of most kind-hearted, knowledgeable doctors you will ever meet. Every time I bring my parents to his office, he actually takes his time with them and answers all their questions. My sister even calls on Face Time during the visits and Dr. Chen answers all of her questions too and don't get annoyed or snarky. Dr. Chen also tells you like it is, not just what you want to hear. He's done knee replacement surgery on both of my dad's knees and will hopefully do my mother's knee in the very near future. In addition, the staff in his office are also very nice and professional too. Whether if it's completing FMLA paperwork or providing notes for work, his Office Manager, Patricia, always returns the forms in a timely manner.
Ebony Brown-Pierce – Sep 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Darwin Chen was put on this earth to be a doctor, a healer. You will not find a more highly skilled surgeon, particularly one who is also comprehensively (as well as minutely) dedicated to his patients' well-being. He is approachable, reachable (he returns your calls personally and surprisingly quickly), supremely conscientious, and as thorough as you shall rarely encounter. Takes your concerns seriously because he strives for a perfect outcome as much as does the patient. You can be entirely confident that you are in the best hands possible with him and his team (shout out to Patricia and PA Maureen), and be able to rest easy in that respect. I was in nightmarish pain with this hip before Dr Chen took me on, as though a small knife was stuck in the hip. He expertly removed the causes of the pain-- and it is gone. Was out of bed and walking within hours of surgery, walking w/o pain within days. Amazing. As though my hip were 30 years old again. And I'm not one who tends to gush.
JBL – Apr 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Darwin Chen is an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Chen did my anterior hip replacement surgery in June 2019. I was so fortunate to have such an accomplished surgeon do my surgery. I was only in the hospital overnight and able to go to out-patient physical therapy in two weeks. Dr. Chen, his assistant, and his staff were always available in case I had any questions. Your questions are never trivial and will always be answered. Also the Mt. Sinai nursing staff followed up for about three months after surgery. Before the surgery, I was walking short distances with a cane and couldn’t sleep because of the pain. Three months after the surgery I was walking around Disney World (without a cane) and sleeping very comfortably. I would wholly recommend Dr. Chen to anyone considering hip replacement surgery. He explains the whole procedure and your condition in easy to understand layman terms. He goes over your x-rays and answers all of your questions. He doesn’t pressure you into surg
JOSEPHINE MAGGIORE – Apr 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I don't know why I waited so long to get a hip replacement. My experience with Dr. Chen and his staff was amazing. He explained everything in detail, his staff was caring and responsive. I felt very calm and everything went like clockwork. I was up and about in hours and in few short weeks I was out walking my dog, feeling like a new person! Honestly, it was surprisingly easy and should the other hip go, I will be calling Dr. Chen again. I give him 5 stars and highly recommend him.
KL Galeotti – Apr 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is a a 6 star surgeon. I've successfully had both a knee and hip replace by Dr. Chen. Great bedside manners prior/after my surgeries. He is the best and I would recommend him to anyone thinking of having this surgery. Awesome!!!
One of the best Orthopedic surgeons in NY – Mar 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr Chen performed a full knee replacement on me in December 2020 and the results were outstanding. More importantly, he answered all my questions before and after surgery, his office staff in Manhattan were always responsive, and he responded to my own questions through the messaging system. Highly recommended!
  • Long wait times
Glenn – Mar 23, 2021
I had a total hip replacement January 2021
Susan – Mar 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
The best thing I did was choose Dr Chen and his team to perform a hip replacement on me. His team is passionate and caring. Dr Chen explained everything about the procedure and the after care down to the T. He made me feel comfortable knowing that he would perform such a serious surgery. I would choose Dr Chen and his team over and over again if I had to ! I have zero regrets!!
Nancy Rivera – Mar 17, 2021
not rushed out
Dolores Baldassare – Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I had 6-month acute hip pain during the pandemic. As soon as I could see a doctor, I had an appointment with Dr. Chen and it was determined I needed hip replacement surgery. He was kind, knowledgeable, interested in my activities before and how they had changed drastically over a short time. He was always positive and I am now pain free and walking, bicycling and have even been able to kayak. I would most definitely recommend Dr. Chen and the Mt SInai Health system. I felt safe and was well cared for by the staff at the hospital!
Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
He knows his stuff!! It took 1 1/2 years for me to find a surgeon and he was the 4th or 5th surgeon I saw and he was the ONLY one qualified as far as I was concerned to preform a reconstruction or joint replacement. The other surgeons radiology staff did not know how to take an ex ray!! I have recommended him to a family member they have had both their knees replaced and they are very satisfied with doctor Chen as well. Very glad I found him. (Thru doctors that shop at L&L camara recommended him)
Roseanna Lowry – Mar 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen was recommended by a physician friend. I am a physician as well so I am most aware of the issues of private practice. Dr. Chen had performed bilateral hip replacements on my colleague and when we spoke, he had nothing but glowing comments. I found all of this to be true. His technical skills are beyond and his charming personality is most reassuring. I have referred a number of patients to him and they too have been very satisfied. I would recommend him to any one with total confidence and without any reservation Joel Albert,M.D
Joel Albert,M.D – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
I thought it was my old nemesis sciatica. For 5 years I tried acupressure, acupuncture, hot stones, PT—nothing helped. Finally got an X-ray—no cartilage left in right hip. Oy! Surgery! Oy! Oy! Looking back I wish I had had surgery years ago. 2.5 hour anterior surgery, Actis titanium hip, 1 night at Mount Sinai, 2 weeks PT at home, 3 1/2 weeks after surgery I’m back at work—walking on a cloud. I didn’t even take all my pain pills—NO PAIN. Dr Chen must have email in his pocket because he answers MyChart queries immediately—except once I emailed him when I was in the hospital, and he appeared at my bedside 5 mins later! Great team: Love Admin Asst Cristy Alifonso & PA Maureen Phillips. I did exactly as his team directed me—used antiseptic soap 5 days on my thigh, wiggled toes, flexed ankles & slid foot up & down to restart moving. I didn’t hesitate when my other hip started hurting. Now I have a matching set of titanium hips & zero pain. Cost w Medicare A&B + AARP supplementary N = ZERO
Lynda Hill – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen replaced both my hips 6 weeks a part. I was in the first small group that had the surgeries once the hospital started to restart its elective surgeries post CoVid shutdown. Dr. Chen was recommended to me by someone who worked at Sinai. I will be forever grateful to her for doing so. Dr. Chen is professional, caring, and a fine surgeon. Within 6 weeks of the first surgery I had the 2nd hip done and within 4 weeks after that I was on my way to another state for a vacation. I was a complicated case apparently but had no complications. Stepping into Dr. Chen's office had a nostalgic feeling for me as I trained to become a nurse at Mt. Sinai, and the doctors' offices have been converted from the old student nurses residence. Dr. Chen also comes with a well respected reputation...which is well earned.
RScheuer – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darwin Chen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?