Dr. Darrell Brett, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 67

Dr. Brett

Northwest Spine Surgery

10000 SE Main St Ste 360 Portland, OR 97216

Dr. Darrell Brett, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Portland, OR and has over 44 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University of Western Ontario, School of Medicine medical school in 1977. He is affiliated with Adventist Health Portland. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Brett to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Brett is affiliated with Adventist Health Portland Portland, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

1 disciplinary action Found
  • Unknown (6/4/2018)View details
No malpractice claims found for Oregon

Check Dr. Brett's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Brett's Top Procedures and Conditions

Osteoarthritis of Spine

Dr. Brett treats Osteoarthritis of Spine more than 92% of his peers

Dr. Brett treats this condition more than 92% of his peers

Herniated Disc

Dr. Brett treats Herniated Disc more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Brett treats this condition more than 91% of his peers

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
high

Dr. Brett performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Brett performs this procedure more than 91% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Laminectomy

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Disc Replacement
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Secondary Malignancies
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture

Dr. Brett accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Brett has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(503) 253-4000Find providers who accept this insurance

Dr. Brett's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Brett

4.2

4.794520547945205%

Dr. Brett

exceptional!! Highly recommend for spinal problems. He's got the Midas touch! Performed cervical/lumbar surgery on me and I now stand, sit, walk and drive w/o pain or restrictions. Professional, skilled, knowledgable and caring. Tell him your story and he listens. Dr. Laurens Johansen listened too!
l smith – Dec 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Darrell Brett performed a Lumbar Lapindecomy for nerve compression in my spine. My condition was "miserable" when I was referred to Dr. Brett by a former patient whom had a good result of her back surgery performed by Dr. Brett. He was very professional and caring in his diagnosis of my problems and thorough in explanations of the procedures to correct. All of my experiences with Dr. Brett and his staff was exceptional, and the result was a major recapture of quality of life. Also, I received fantastic contributions by Adventist Hospital nurses and nursing assistants. Thank you all.
Mike Kelley – Sep 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Brett from a chiropractor who informed me I was probably in need of surgery. Dr. Brett viewed my MRI and let me know that I needed surgery as soon as possible due to the damage and pain that I was experiencing. 6 days later he performed surgery to replace 2 cervical discs that were causing me disability and pain. The after care was great and Dr Brett made sure that I was progressing and free of pain. I would recommend Dr. Brett and his associates and staff for anyone experiencing any type of spinal discomfort.
Susan – Sep 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I've seen Dr. Brett for a c-spine procedure twice in the past 15 years. Both times I found him to be professional, serious, and caring - he conveyed a sincere interest in my health. Both procedures were for a fusion in my c-spine (I have a degenerative condition) and they ended my pain. I have consistently recommended Dr. Brett to friends and neighbors whenever I became aware of them needing a surgical solution to back problems. This is what patient care is supposed to look like.
Troy Price – Aug 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Brett from my initial visit was very cordial, he was very interested and concerned about my spinal & nerve condition which was 20 years in the making. Once Dr. Brett had received both the x rays and MRI, he explained the specific surgery to be performed, risks, and the desired outcome which was to be free of the nerve pain. The results have been "phenomenal"! Thank you Dr. Brett, staff, and Adventist Hospital.
Timothy G. Harvey – Jun 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I had an accident at work. In the end I had to have a Laminectomy and discectomy done. A lot of people don't like his personality, but agree he is one of the best in the country. I liked his personality, he's just very direct and tells you the truth. His personality was great for fighting Workmans comp for me. He appealed their decisions many times to get my MRI and Surgery approved. He will fight the insurance companies for you. Although I'm not 100% better yet. This Dr. is a miracle worker. I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to go back to work. I'd be happy with where I'm at right now because I didn't think getting back to this point was even possible. You will not regret your decision. He is very talented and knowledgeable.
Dustin M – Jun 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I had my second back surgery with Dr. Brett August 2020. My first surgery with him 15 years ago was the best. I woke up with no more back pain. He made me feel very comfortable and confident with the procedure. I followed his directions afterward and was back to myself at about a years time. My second surgery went just as beautiful. I think the important thing to remember is to follow his directions afterward. Don't push yourself. 6 months out now I am still gradually getting stronger and I am confident I will be close to my normal later this year. I found his staff helpful and kind. Mind you I had my surgery during the COVID crisis. Dr. Brett and his assistant gave me great directions on how to recover. I also appreciated the prayer before surgery. I had my surgery at his surgery center in Wilsonville. His staff there was great too. If you need back pain surgery, go see Dr. Darrell Brett. You will be well taken care of. Back pain is his speciality.
S. Thompson – Feb 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Brett fixed my herniated disc. Had to do a fusion. He has to be one of the best! Went so smooth, and explained all my questions. Very professional,but yet calming. Don"t hesitate, book him now!
Jon D. – Feb 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I had been suffering from spinal stenosis for nine-months. Had uncontrollable neck and back spasms that completely incapacitated me. I could hardly get out of bed. Then, I met Dr. Brett. He wasted no time at all. He looked at my MRI and instantly educated me on why I was suffering so incredibly much. He quickly devised a plan, and then took immediate action. He and his amazing surgical team performed a four-level cervical disc replacement surgery, and I was instantly healed from the headaches and numbness in my arms, and the uncontrollable neck and back spasms. I was able to leave the hospital the following day and there he was, on his day off to make sure that I could do so safely. He maintained contact with me by phone during all hours of my recovery, even at 3:00 a.m., to offer me reassurance and comfort. What a talented, kind, and amazing man! I am ever so grateful to have had Dr. Darrell C. Brett as my surgeon. May God continue to bless him and his staff.
Angele Vieane – Jan 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I thank Dr. Brett. He is the best neurosurgeon. He helped me through a lot. I had 3 disks in my neck that were out of place and he repaired them and now i feel greater than before. He is a doctor who clearly cares a lot about his patients and he’s a humble respectful guy with great mannerisms and i advise anybody with back problems to go to Dr.Brett because you won’t regret it. Me and my family thank Dr.Brett because he helped me a lot. Mohammed Al-Shammari
Mohammed Al-shammari – Jul 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Why are you asking about Dr. Taylor. These comments are about Dr. Darrell Brett. You are hijacking this review. Stop it please Now let me get to the point. My personal opinion is that Dr. Darrell Brett is one of the best Spine surgeons on the face of the earth in Portland, Oregon. He is head and shoulders above anything OHSU has to offer, bar none! He performed neck surgery due to a rear end collision. The wait time at OHSU was excruciating. Two to three months just for an appointment. The operation was 100 percent successful. Thank you Dr. Darrell Brett for returning my life to better than it was Evan before the accident. I highly recommend Dr. Darrell Brett at the Northwest Spine Surgery. This is 7 months after the surgery, just show the lasting effects of a highly successful operation. I was back to normal after only TWO MONTHS. THANK YOU DR. DARRELL BRETT
Daniel Merrill – Jun 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr Brett took away 40 years of back pain in a 2hr surgery, I went home the next day and walked around, 10 days later I went back to work, 6 weeks I was off all the meds. Now I do moderate strength training 3 times a week, never felt better! THANK YOU DR BRETT! Your the best!
Gary Graham – Apr 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr.Brett is no not the most chatty,or a talker a perky.But,he is good at what he does,both my husband and I had very successful neck surgeries from him. Releiving pain for us. We still have lifting limits and our necks are more sensitive to cold. But,we were pleased with Dr.Brett. We recommend him to others.
Teresa – Apr 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
I am a 50 year old dentist. Two years ago I started having some neck and shoulder pain which progressed rapidly and became constant, taking over my life in the last six months. My physician diagnosed two diseased discs and sent me to Dr. Brett. Before the surgery the pain was constant 5-7 on the scale of ten. I woke up from the anesthesia with no pain in the arm at all, took one pain pill and was back at work in four days. If I didn’t have the little incision I would not believe it happened. Now I am meeting other patients of Dr. Brett with the same story!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Josef Sedivy DDS, Portland – Feb 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Brett was respectful, cognizant, and thorough. Attention to detail, safety, and post op concerns was high caliber. He's done two spine surgeries for me (neck and lower back) and I have absolutely no complaints.
J Galusha – Dec 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
He is a great surgeon and I trust him with my life. He has done so much for me and has really improved my quality of life with the back surgeries he has performed on me. Thank you Dr Bret.
Mark – Nov 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Again Dr. Brett helped me & I am most of the time pain Free . Taking no prescribed drugs or any other kind doing many Sport activities ! Ski, In-line speed skate & tricks, Trikke , stand up paddle & climb mountains ! Thank you for 3 spinal surgeries with total recovery of arms & legs !!!
Dale A. Young Sr. in Joseph, OR – Sep 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Brett is the best back surgeon in the Portland area had surgery in 2016 I had back pain, leg cramps, was hurting no one should go to primary for this kind of injury as I had none, a pinched nerve and 2 disks pinched as for recovery said 6 months I got back in my truck after 4 weeks he said 85% most recovery on people. I think he is serious as told me not to lift more than 50lbs do what he says expensive but worth it as I am a young guy with lots to do in life.
Steve – Sep 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
One of the first things I heard from Dr Brett was I wouldn’t need surgery but recovery would take time. The office staff has been friendly and efficient. The last appointment I arrived early and was out at the time it was scheduled.
Aug 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?
Dr. Brett was friendly, professional and efficient. He assured me I didn’t need surgery for my back injury, which was a relief as he is a neurosurgeon, so I was certain, before the appointment, that surgery would be the recommendation from him. His PA, Wesley, was very knowledgeable and kind. I felt very comfortable that I was receiving good care from both Dr. Brett and Wesley, and their recommendations, regarding returning to work after my injury. The office staff were friendly. The office itself is modern and tastefully designed. I never waited more than 5-10 minutes in either the waiting room or exam room.
Beverly Kramer – Jul 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Darrell Brett, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Brett?

Dr. Darrell Brett is a neurosurgeon who has been in practice at the same location in Portland Oregon since 1984. In 1990 he sub-specialized in spine surgery...Read more

• Neurosurgery