Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics  |
Dr. Daniel Valaik, MD
Daniel J. Valaik, M.D. is a board certified orthpaedic surgeon. He serves as an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and practices at Johns Hopkins Orthopaedic and Spine Surgery, Bethesda, Maryland. His scope of practice includes joint preserving surgeries of the hip and knee, as well as Total Joint Replacement surgery. Dr. Valaik graduated with honors from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1983. He then served as a Navy SEAL for 6 years, where he learned that, "The only easy day was yesterday." He went to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences for his medical school training and was elected into the AOA Medical Honor Society. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency training at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He went on to complete his fellowship in Total Joint Replacement Surgery at Johns Hopkins under the mentorship of world-renowned surgeon Dr. David S. Hungerford. Dr. Valaik rejoined the Johns Hopkins Orthopaedic team after 26 years of Naval Service. His last position in the military was serving as the Chief of the Orthopaedic Service at Walter Reed and the National Naval Medical Center. He states that his "finest hour" of military service was his last 6 years caring for the wounded warriors from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Dr. Valaik works closely with his surgeon partners as well as his dedicated physician assistant, Kevin Woodward, PA-C

6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 2200

Bethesda, MD 20817

• Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • CareSource
  • Community Health Choice
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Valaik

Our practice seeks to provide patients with the finest care for their musculoskeletal conditions. We pride ourselves in maximizing the non-operative treatment options for all patients, before considering or suggesting surgical options.

We work closely with physical therapists, physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists and interventional pain management specialists to ensure that our patients have the best chance at recovering from a musculoskeletal condition before surgery is considered.

We also frequently refer patients to neurologists, physiatrists, rheumatologists and other specialists to gain their perspective and to provide patients with a multidisciplinary approach to their musculoskeletal condition.

For patients who have exhausted all other options and are found to be candidates for surgery, we utilize the latest technologies to provide our patients with the best surgical care possible.

Dr. Valaik's Experience

Dr. Valaik's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankle Fracture
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus

• Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Tendon and Bursa Injection
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• U.S. Naval Academy
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD
  • Johns Hopkins Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Valaik has no media or publications listed.

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

Dr. Valaik's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Valaik to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Valaik Says:

"I appreciate you taking the time to submit a patient survey. If you received great service and attention, please tell a friend. If you did not, please tell me or my staff. We are committed to providing you the best possible care."

Dr. Valaik's Performance
in Alexandria, VA |
I only have praise for Dr Valaik and his Assistant Kevin Woodward . A very positive experience. I have recommended him to others.
in Washington, DC |
Dr Valaik recently did my knee replacement at Suburban Hospital. I couldnt be happier with the experience. My incision healed very fast and my recovery time was about half as long as expected. If I ever need another joint replacement will definetly go back to Dr Valaik.
Potomac, MD |
Had knee replacement, surgery went well. After 6 months still have foot numbness and a limp. After several follow up visits did not receive much support or assistance to help me resolve my issues from this doctor. I guess if you don't fit the the mold then there is no other options. Going to get another opinion.
in Potomac, MD |
Good background. Did not explain much and reluctant to answer questions. I did not select him for joint replacement.
Washington, DC |
DO NOT GO TO THIS DR IN MY OPINION. I saw him for total hip surgery less than 5 months ago. I now walk with more pain and a noticeable limp. Before the surgery he told me my bone was very cystic and he would pack the cysts with my own bone. After the surgery he stated he did not pack the cystic bone. Before the surgery he stated he would do the more current "anterior approach" incision. After the surgery I noted a LONG "lateral incision". I am a cripple with bad him pain now. STAY AWAY!
Maryland |
Very disappointed with the outcome of my hip replacement and Dr. Valaik's refusal to return telephone calls. I would not recommend this physician.
in Silver Spring, MD |
Initially seems to move quickly but will answer any questions you may have until you have all the answers you want. In the hospital he will give you as much information as you want and or need. Everything he told me was on time and for me results were even better than what I had planned on.
in Stoney Beach, MD |
Dr. Daniel J. Valaik is the doctor I picked to preform my full Knee replacement. His expertise, background, and recommendations from others appealed to me. His bed side manner was a perfect fit, and that always makes me feel that he or she is a caring person. I thank Dr.Daniel J. Valaik for his high level of personal care . His staff was excellent.
in Baltimore, MD |
Rare combination of excellent physician and commendable person. Highly recommend both Dr. Valaik and his staff.
in Silver Spring, MD |
I would highly recommend Dr. Valaik to anyone contemplating hip surgery. He has a warm, pleasant personality and was very thorough in his examination. His surgical technique was supurb (I had hip replacement surgery): no post-surgical infection, a very clean and straight scar, and excellent recovery. Office support staff is equally courteous and helpful. No long waits in the doctors office.
in Fairfax |
I have been a Registered Nurse for over 40 years and I believe that Dr. Valaik is a thoughtful, caring, skilled physician who possesses that rare quality among doctors of his caliber - he is humble. He will refer a patient to another physician who he believes is better qualified to evaluate for a procedure. And let's face it - Dr. Valaik is easy on the eyes. Also like to include a shout out to Kevin Woodard, PA-C, the physician assistant working with Dr. Valaik: smart, skilled and kind.
in Bethesda, MD |
Dr. Valaik talks a good game, but unfortunately does not deliver. He did two hip replacements on my son - age 28 due to avascular necrosis. Both implants had to be redone within 24 months due to their being implanted incorrectly. My son has lived through hell as a result of the surgery Dr. Valaik did on him.
Dr. Valaik (and Kevin, his Physician Assistant) mean more to me than I can ever express. Like many of their patients, I drive for several hours for their expert care. They replaced both of my hip joints, and I am a strong, healthy, and fun person again. There is nothing that I cannot do now. I feel so blessed to be under their care. I want a family doctor like Dr. Valaik : )
in Washington, DC |
This Dr. is the best fit for any person who are will the follow instructions.
in Northern Va |
Like every other Ortho I've seen, if nothing on the imaging jumps out and bites him, he doesn't bother to look for what is actually causing the problem. He had a diagnostic hypothesis in mind, and when my history and symptoms didn't match his preconception, he literally walked away. I chose JHUH because I thought the doctors there might actually care, but I was wrong. Unless you already know what is wrong with you, then don't waste your time here.
Waldorf maryland |
I can't say enough about what a great doctor he is. After loosing my mother to knee replacement 6 months before mine, dr. Valaik took the time to discuss and help me understand about my own replacement. After many complications and 3 hospitalizations with my knee replacement, I would go to no other surgeon! I have to have my other knee replaced and refuse to go to anyone else.
in Bethesda, MD |
Dr. Valaik did an excellent job in diagnosing and treating my condition, and he has an excellent bedside manner.
Dumfries, VA |
Dr. Valaik is extremely knowledgeable about joint replacements. I think this is common in many doctors in the practice. What stands out for me though, is that Dr. Valaik lets you know immediately by his time, interaction, and communication skills that he cares about you, the patient. He takes time to address every question you may have. It is a joy to have him as my primary knee replacement doctor.
Chevy Chase, MD |
Dr. Valaik is the kind of doctor you alway hope to get, but rarely do. He is a caring, compassionate clinician who has gone out of his way to provide excellent care for 2 members of our family.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Valaik, MD?
Are you Dr. Valaik?

• Community Health Choice
    Group Plan PPO
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware
    Coventry Health Care of Delaware HMO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Husky Health
  • inHealth
  • INTotal Health
    Medicaid
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Midwest Health Plan