Dr. Daniel Southern, MD

Regenerative Medicine | Male

2 Riverview Dr Danbury, CT 06810 Get Directions
Dr. Daniel Southern, MD
Dr. Daniel Southern, MD is a regenerative medicine doctor who practices in Danbury, CT. He is 61 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Dr. Southern is affiliated with Stamford Hospital and Danbury Hospital.

Dr. Southern's Care Philosophy

To assess patient's complaints in the larger context of their impact on the patient's functional ability. Advanced conservative, non-operative treatment is used to reduce pain and restore function.

Dr. Southern's Experience

See how Dr. Southern's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Southern

Dr. Southern accepts 11 insurance carriers

Dr. Southern is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Southern has admitting privileges.

Dr. Southern's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Southern to family and friends
2.3
Dr. Southern's Performance
    GOOD
I would not recommend this doctor. He has a cavalier attitude that borders on rude. I brought my 90 year old mother to see him and he was 55 minutes late (no apology). He spoke in a flip manner, demanding that we follow his orders, but did not have time for questions nor did he directly speak to my mother (she is hard of hearing so he felt it appropriate to not even look at her?). His office staff is likewise not diligent (botched a prescription repeatedly). Very disappointing experience!
in Sandy Hook |
I almost changed doctors based on the reviews here. I am glad I didn't. Dr. Southern is direct, blunt and confident. I appreciate his style and wish more doctors were like him. He has seen me twice. I have no complaints and I feel I am in good hands.
in Woodbury Ct |
He exhibited no empathy whatsoever. He is pompous,arrogant and condescending. His office supplies me with inaccurate information relative to treatment I was to receive. After second series of injections,the pain remained untouched. Dr. Southern had a very hard time accepting that result and became rude and belligerent, bordering on calling me a liar. This man has much to learn about his chosen field of helping people. I will never go back to him. I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with him.
in Trumbull, CT |
Dr Southern was very to the point explaining everything , very informative and simple . The staff was excellent and concerned . I would recommend him to my friends . I'm a plumbing and heating contractor and a third generation contractor , I like the fact that he is a no BS kind of guy . Thankyou for my epidural CJ Soderquist
in Danbury, CT |
Would not listen to my concerns. Told me I had to do what he told me and not question him or what he was doing.
in Southbury, CT |
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Southern. I've seen him twice and each time I found myself leaving his office knowing answers to all my questions along with all my options for treatment moving forward. He spent a long time with me both times. He's a very personable young man with a really warm personality. He has a very nice staff ... they're warm, friendly & most helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to refer friends to him.
in Danbury, CT |
Would NOT recommend this doctor. He is rushed and does not explain things. I went to see him for an injection for spinal stenosis. He told me to walk and proceeded to tell me my back problem was due to my weight and sedentary life style. He never reviewed the MRI I had previously indicating my diagnosis. Acted like an army sergeant and told me to exercise.. He needs an education on bedside management
in New Milford, CT |
84 yr old mother said no to daily injections for her (not very severe) osteoporosis. Too anxious to do it. He refused to discuss alternatives, turned his back on her and left. Horrible way to treat an elderly woman. Wish I had been there!!!
in Brewster, NY |
Though some others in the practice such as Dr. Henshaw are pleasant and take the time to explain things clearly. Dr. Southern is not one of them. Both my wife and I both had gone to him for back pain, he was equally rude and abrupt to both of us. He makes it a practice of turning his back on you and doing his best to not answer any questions. He makes it extremely uncomfortable to be in the room with him. To say there is no bedside manner or patient etiquette is a gross understatement. A shame.
Visited him three times, spent a total 15 minutes with me. Hardly said anything, didn't explain my condition. Kind of grunted that I should get a injection in my spine, but he didn't seem to care. Spent hundreds of dollars for lousy care, bordering on malpractice. I went to a chiropractor the next week, what a difference..he explained my MRI to me, suggested a treatment, talks to me and cares! and so far I feel treatment is working..no injections in spine.
Prefers prescribing what he likes for pain medication not what I had been on previously
Spent very little time with me. Told me to exercise to address my back pain. I'm a young formerly active female with a recent abdominal surgery involving mesh placement adjacent to my sacral spine. he failed to even consider connecting the two and as a result, the infected disc and vertebrae I came to him to desperately seek relief from went undiagnosed and spread as I tried exercising through the awful pain. I would not recommend this doctor to ANYONE.
in Danbury Ct |
I went to Dr Southern for a workers comp neck injury. I saw him four times At first I thought he had no bed side manner but as I went to him I realized that what he lacks in personality he has in experience an intensity he is obviously a very busy doctor and has to concentrate on getting his patients well I ask a lot of doctors about him, his pier group has only good things to say about him. We go to the doctor very needy. They are not there to be our friend He is smart.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Are you Dr. Southern?

Compare Dr. Southern

Dr. Southern's Care Philosophy

Dr. Southern's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Regenerative Medicine
  •  Board certified in Pain Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine

• Joseph Collins Foundation Scholarship, 97-98
    • Else Adler Research Award, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2004
    • Research Honorarium, New York Medical Society, 2002
    • Trude Perelman Award, 1999
    • Characterization of Annular Collagen after Intradiscal Electrothermal
    • Southern D, Lutz G. IDET Technique. In Interventional Spine; an algorithmic approach. Slipman C, Derby R, editors. Elsevier Inc. 2008.
    • Southern D, Lutz GE, Cooper G, Barre L. Are Fluoroscopic Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections Effective in the Management of Chronic Low Back Pain? Pain Physician 2003;6(2):167-172
    • Barre L, Lutz G, Southern D, Cooper G. Fluoroscopically Guided Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: A Prospective Evaluation of Long Term Efficacy. Pain Physician 2004; 7(2): 187-193
    • Southern D, Lutz G, Bracilovic A, et al. Histological and Molecular Structure

No malpractice history found for Connecticut.

Why It Matters: Dr. Southern's Board Certifications

• Cervical Spondylitis
  • Chronic Pain
  • Chronic Postoperative Pain
  • Diabetic Polyneuropathy
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Facet Joint Pain
  • Hip Arthritis
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Muscle Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

New York Presbyterian Hospital

Completed in 2003

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 2004

Dr. Southern does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Southern and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Regenerative Medicine