Dr. Daniel Southern, MD

Dr. Daniel Southern, MD

Regenerative Medicine  ·
Dr. Daniel Southern, MD is a regenerative medicine specialist in Danbury, CT and has been practicing for 15 years. He graduated from Suny Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine in 1999 and specializes in regenerative medicine, sports medicine, and more.

2 Riverview Dr

Danbury, CT 06810

• EmblemHealth
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio
  • Oxford Health Plans

No malpractice claims found for Connecticut

Check if Dr. Southern treats your condition or procedure

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Diabetic Polyneuropathy
  • Elbow Sprain
  • EMG (Electromyography)
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Block, Sympathetic
  • Nerve Blocks
  • Nerve Destruction by Neurolytic Agent
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Trigger Finger
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

To assess patient's complaints in the larger context of their impact on the patient's functional ability. Advanced conservative, non-operative treatment is used to reduce pain and restore function.

• Regenerative Medicine

• Else Adler Research Award, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2004
  • Research Honorarium, New York Medical Society, 2002
  • Trude Perelman Award, 1999

• Characterization of Annular Collagen after Intradiscal Electrothermal,
  • Southern D, Lutz G. IDET Technique. In Interventional Spine; an algorithmic approach. Slipman C, Derby R, editors. Elsevier Inc. 2008.,
  • Southern D, Lutz GE, Cooper G, Barre L. Are Fluoroscopic Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections Effective in the Management of Chronic Low Back Pain? Pain Physician 2003;6(2):167-172,
  • Barre L, Lutz G, Southern D, Cooper G. Fluoroscopically Guided Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: A Prospective Evaluation of Long Term Efficacy. Pain Physician 2004; 7(2): 187-193,
  • Southern D, Lutz G, Bracilovic A, et al. Histological and Molecular Structure,

Dr. Southern's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Southern

2.5

Dr. Southern?
Dr. Southern's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Daniel Southern, MD
He gave me CSF leak. Lumbar puncture. Put me out of commission for 3 weeks. Could not walk due to massive headaches being vertical. Had to do 2 blood clots to try to close the hole he made. This is all on record. NOT RECOMMENDED - if there was a Zero Star, he would get it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Has presented science explanations of how the cells function in repair and degenerative processes. He considers the treatment and its impact. A cause and effect procedure. Would recommend the doctor to others who need help.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Dr Southern is a genius! His pain treatment was very specifically designed to block the nerve root which has caused me debilitating leg pain for the past 6 months through an epidural procedure. I was monitored on a live X-ray during the procedure to isolate the specific nerve being treated. He is very skilled and compassionate. Best Dr. ever
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
I had a very successful PRP treatment by Dr. Southern. I had neck and head pain for one year. Dr. Southern tried everything that my insurance would cover. I had P.T., epidural injection and a procedure call denervation. I got some relief, however, not enough. Because PRP is not covered by insurance he left it until last. I am 99% pain free, however, you must be willing to wait 2 to 4 months for it to fuller take affect. It was well worth paying out of pocket I would do it again.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
NOT AT ALL! THIS MAN WAS VERY RUDE TO ME. UNCARING, NO EYE CONTACT. DID NOT LISTEN TO MY CONCERNS. INTERUPTED ME WHILE I WAS TALKING. ACCUSATORY. LITTLE DID HE NOW THAT I DID IN FACT HAVE A RUPTURED DISC. THAT I DISCOVERED FROM GETTING A SECOND OPINION. I STILL REMEMBER HOW HE TREATED ME.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Dr. Southern is very confident of his skills and knowledge base. Referring to his own experiences with pain and his education, he is straight forward. Though some may want hand holding, I prefer a direct honest assessment...and that is what you get with him. He offers his best medical judgement and I would not expect him change his decisions. I was in excruciating pain from a stenosis in my spine. After he administered an epidural injection I was pain free .....and so remain for 2.5 years!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Rude and condescending. On one occasion "I am the doctor you need to listen I don't care if you are a nurse. Office visit less than 5 minutes - just prescribed meds & didn't care how I felt. Awlful doctor
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
I would not recommend this doctor. He has a cavalier attitude that borders on rude. I brought my 90 year old mother to see him and he was 55 minutes late (no apology). He spoke in a flip manner, demanding that we follow his orders, but did not have time for questions nor did he directly speak to my mother (she is hard of hearing so he felt it appropriate to not even look at her?). His office staff is likewise not diligent (botched a prescription repeatedly). Very disappointing experience!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
I almost changed doctors based on the reviews here. I am glad I didn't. Dr. Southern is direct, blunt and confident. I appreciate his style and wish more doctors were like him. He has seen me twice. I have no complaints and I feel I am in good hands.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
He exhibited no empathy whatsoever. He is pompous,arrogant and condescending. His office supplies me with inaccurate information relative to treatment I was to receive. After second series of injections,the pain remained untouched. Dr. Southern had a very hard time accepting that result and became rude and belligerent, bordering on calling me a liar. This man has much to learn about his chosen field of helping people. I will never go back to him. I'd rather deal with the pain than deal with him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Dr Southern was very to the point explaining everything , very informative and simple . The staff was excellent and concerned . I would recommend him to my friends . I'm a plumbing and heating contractor and a third generation contractor , I like the fact that he is a no BS kind of guy . Thankyou for my epidural CJ Soderquist
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
I had a very positive experience with Dr. Southern. I've seen him twice and each time I found myself leaving his office knowing answers to all my questions along with all my options for treatment moving forward. He spent a long time with me both times. He's a very personable young man with a really warm personality. He has a very nice staff ... they're warm, friendly & most helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to refer friends to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Would NOT recommend this doctor. He is rushed and does not explain things. I went to see him for an injection for spinal stenosis. He told me to walk and proceeded to tell me my back problem was due to my weight and sedentary life style. He never reviewed the MRI I had previously indicating my diagnosis. Acted like an army sergeant and told me to exercise.. He needs an education on bedside management
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
84 yr old mother said no to daily injections for her (not very severe) osteoporosis. Too anxious to do it. He refused to discuss alternatives, turned his back on her and left. Horrible way to treat an elderly woman. Wish I had been there!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Though some others in the practice such as Dr. Henshaw are pleasant and take the time to explain things clearly. Dr. Southern is not one of them. Both my wife and I both had gone to him for back pain, he was equally rude and abrupt to both of us. He makes it a practice of turning his back on you and doing his best to not answer any questions. He makes it extremely uncomfortable to be in the room with him. To say there is no bedside manner or patient etiquette is a gross understatement. A shame.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Visited him three times, spent a total 15 minutes with me. Hardly said anything, didn't explain my condition. Kind of grunted that I should get a injection in my spine, but he didn't seem to care. Spent hundreds of dollars for lousy care, bordering on malpractice. I went to a chiropractor the next week, what a difference..he explained my MRI to me, suggested a treatment, talks to me and cares! and so far I feel treatment is working..no injections in spine.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Prefers prescribing what he likes for pain medication not what I had been on previously
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
Spent very little time with me. Told me to exercise to address my back pain. I'm a young formerly active female with a recent abdominal surgery involving mesh placement adjacent to my sacral spine. he failed to even consider connecting the two and as a result, the infected disc and vertebrae I came to him to desperately seek relief from went undiagnosed and spread as I tried exercising through the awful pain. I would not recommend this doctor to ANYONE.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?
I went to Dr Southern for a workers comp neck injury. I saw him four times At first I thought he had no bed side manner but as I went to him I realized that what he lacks in personality he has in experience an intensity he is obviously a very busy doctor and has to concentrate on getting his patients well I ask a lot of doctors about him, his pier group has only good things to say about him. We go to the doctor very needy. They are not there to be our friend He is smart.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Southern, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Southern?

Insurance accepted

Oxford Health Plans
Freedom Plan
Principal Financial Group
Oxford Liberty

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Southern treats patients.

Danbury Hospital