Dr. Daniel Schwarz, MD

Pain Medicine | Male

The Center for Pain Recovery, PLLC 18444 W 10 Mile Rd Ste 102 Southfield, MI 48075 Get Directions
Dr. Daniel Schwarz, MD
Dr. Schwarz obtained his M.D. from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and then completed his Surgery Residency at the University of Toledo, Board Certified in 1994. He was a Level-1 Trauma Surgeon/Clinical Instructor of Surgery at the University of Toledo, while publishing research at the University of Michigan in Plastic Surgery. After a sabbatical, he returned to the University of Michigan, was awarded several grants and research awards, while mentoring students and physicians in the Craniofacial Research Laboratory. Recognizing increased narcotic abuse in surgical and pain management patients, he pursued his interests in Addiction Medicine, completing a fellowship at St. John's Brighton Hospital, becoming Board Certified in 2010. While at Brighton, he initiated the first prospective study correlating addiction after gastric bypass surgery, published in 2010. He is a CLIA Certified, high-complexity urine toxicology laboratory director for several large pain clinics and a reference laboratory. He practices pain management and addiction/behavioral medicine utilizing clinical pharmacogenetics to improve patient care.

Dr. Schwarz's Care Philosophy

1. I focus on establishing the correct diagnoses, rather than our all too common band-aid plan. 2. I follow our oath, " First do no harm". 3. All patients are screened with basic questionnaire forms; is there any depression or anxiety associated with the pain? 4. Then basic assessments for ADLs; activities of Daily Living. We are human, we make mistakes. Patients are not discharged for not rigidly following a plan, but we work together to improve. How can we help each other?

Dr. Schwarz's Experience

See how Dr. Schwarz's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Schwarz

Dr. Schwarz's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Schwarz to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Schwarz's Performance
    GOOD
    GOOD
in Troy, MI |
Had complicated pain, thought needed Suboxone. Told me options. Took couple hrs and lots of questionnaires Real thorough. found not just hip, but back problem. Sent me to expert, and rotated my pain meds (famous cancer surgeon). Skeptical, but looked it up. 6 months later, I'm on 1/2 dose after switching back, no withdrawal. Appointments long, but worth it. Takes calls on Sat. Made me see pain psychologist. Did another screen test (stuttered). Then tested me for ADHD. Changed my life
in Detroit, MI |
Horrible horrible doctor!!!!!! Do Not waste your time or money on him!!!!! He abandons his patients. He almost killed me. I now owe the hospital thousands of dollars because I took this mans advice. He doesn't take insurance. Only cash. Once I paid, he cut ties with me. The hospital I was admitted to also could not contact him. He only takes cash (HUGE RED FLAG) and worried more about reporting other doctors than taking care of his patients. Worst experience with a doctor EVER!!!!!!!!!
We encourage feedback. Some refuse to accept all medical advice, have abused all resources, or are refused other treatment and come to us as a last resort. We don't force treatment, but provide the best evidence-based clinical solutions, consulting colleagues when indicated. Our intakes often take 2 hrs, due to the complex psychosocial nature of the underlying disease. Some are not ready to accept their disorder. We sincerely hope the author (can't admit/deny if patient) finds peace of mind.
in Holly, Mi |
Amazing doctor...he really is their for the patient,not the money....he takes the time to understand and correct the issues at hand,, EXCELLENT DOCTOR!!! N. RIDER THANK YOU DR ....
I cannot acknowledge or deny the existence of a patient. I can only say that I am grateful to Drs Chaudhuri, Dietrich, Allison, Hageman, Merrick, both Starks, Wright, Knotts, Sternfeld, Kovalik, and Sferra from Toledo and Buchman, Chung, Kuzon and Wilkins from U Mich for teaching me the importance of taking care of the ENTIRE patient. A surgeon MUST be a physician first, and treat every aspect of our patient. Our patients come first. We took an oath: It is my pleasure.
in Birmingham, MI |
This is what going to the doctor should be like. Although he doesn't take insurance, I had no problem taking sending the receipt with codes and getting reimbursed. Although I had to wait 35 minutes, and everytime fill out forms, he spends ~1hr, asks questions other Drs don't, and explains. This dr was detailed, answered questions my Drs couldn't explain in 5 yrs. He had me see the right specialist, knew where I needed injections, got me off pain pills, and I'm playing tennis again. The best.
Troy, MI |
Knew more about my long-term pain after hip surgery, what I needed than board certified anesthesia pain specialist. Dr Schwarz knew more about pain, genetics, receptors, how to examine me, separate hip from back pain, and was able to explain it like I was a 4th grader. He has sheets that explain the medications he uses and why, if I need tests, and the order of importance. He answers email and text, works with my Drs, and knows more than most. He changed meds avoiding interaction. Brilliant!
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Schwarz, MD?

Compare Dr. Schwarz

Dr. Schwarz says...

Dr. Schwarz obtained his M.D. from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and then completed his Surgery Residency at the University of Toledo, Board Certified in 1994.  He was a Level-1 Trauma Surgeon/Clinical Instructor of Surgery at the University of Toledo, while publishing research at the University of Michigan in Plastic Surgery.  After a sabbatical, he returned to the University of Michigan, was awarded several grants and research awards, while mentoring students and physicians in the Craniofacial Research Laboratory.

Recognizing increased narcotic abuse in surgical and pain management patients, he pursued his interests in Addiction Medicine, completing a fellowship at St. John's Brighton Hospital, becoming Board Certified in 2010.  While at Brighton, he initiated the first prospective study correlating addiction after gastric bypass surgery, published in 2010.  He is a CLIA Certified, high-complexity urine toxicology laboratory director for several large pain clinics and a reference laboratory.  He practices pain management and addiction/behavioral medicine utilizing clinical pharmacogenetics to improve patient care.

Dr. Schwarz's Care Philosophy

Dr. Schwarz says...

Dr is 1 of 3 non-psychiatrist, fellowship trained, Board Certified Addiction experts in the Detroit Metro area. He is the only pain/addiction Dr with original boards in general surgery; thus best qualified at complex pain management and addiction.

Dr Schwarz's passion is the diagnosis/treatment of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, especially with addiction (co-occurring disorders).

He has multiple peer-reviewed publications and speaks nationally on responsible opioid prescribing, drug toxicology, and pharmacogenetics (PGx: precision medicine). He was the Principal Investigator on 2 large IRB approved research studies including several hundred thousand patients nationwide, assessing genetics of pain and addiction risk.  He recently published 3 major articles on Pain, Addiction and PGx in Toxicology.  He is a CLIA certified high-complexity laboratory director.

Dr has 2 patents pending on genetic algorithms predicting pain sensitivity and the risk of opioid addiction.

Dr. Schwarz's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pain Medicine
  •  Board certified in Pain Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Schwarz has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Schwarz's Board Certifications

• Pain Medicine

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Addiction
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Bipolar Disorder

Graduated in 1984

• Other Education
    Medical Review Officer Certified

Completed in 2007

Dr. Schwarz does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Schwarz and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pain Medicine