Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Daniel Refai, MD
Dr. Daniel Refai, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Atlanta, GA. He is 42 years old and has been practicing for 14 years. Dr. Refai is affiliated with Emory University Hospital Midtown and Emory University Hospital.

59 Executive Park South NE Ste 3000

Atlanta, GA 30329

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia

Learn about Dr. Refai

See how frequently Dr. Refai performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Myelopathy
Cervical Spine Myelopathy
Low Back Pain

Dr. Refai's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Refai "Personalized care for complex spine problems"

• Neurosurgery

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Spinal or Cranial

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• Tufts University
  • Washington University In St Louis School Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Cleveland Clin Spine Inst
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Refai has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Refai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Refai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Refai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Refai to family and friends
Dr. Refai's Performance
Suwanee, GA |
My mother needed immediate surgery to remove a spinal meningioma. She lost almost all leg function and bladder control. Her spinal cord was compressed to a thin translucent section. We were so fortunate Dr. Refai was available to do the surgery. He took the time to explain the procedure, risks and answered all of my questions. The delicate surgery was performed flawlessly. We couldn't .have asked for a better recovery. It is a miracle that she is walking again. We can't thank him enough!
in Woodstock, GA |
Dr. Refai performed cervical surgery on me in September 2017. The surgery was a great success. He is very competent and professional. He is extremely thorough and I am very fortunate to have him as my neurosurgeon. I recommend him very highly.
in Atlanta, GA |
After 2 years of taking steriods for leg pain, I went to Dr. Refai for a second opinion. Was very impressed, as when he came into the exam room he had notes and was very familiar with my chart. He was very professional, but with a caring and personal way. He performed a Laminectomy and, except for the pain of the incision, I have had no pain. Not only does he rate as one of the best doctors I have ever had, his staff was exceptional. Having a personal nurse you can call anytime, service!
in Canton, GA |
Very happy with my surgery and think Dr. Refai is a very knowledgeable and wonderful surgeon. His nurse is amazing. His PA was very thorough and all of the staff that I saw or dealt with were very helpful.
in Atlanta |
Dr. Refai performed a laminectomy on my lower spine. I am 84, had severe pain in both legs, and could barely move around. After surgery, the leg pain is no longer, and my recovery has gone very well. Dr. Refai communicates effectively, in terms a layman can understand. I had confidence in him before the surgery, and even more so now. I would recommend him highly to anyone needing back surgery.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Refai, as well as his entire staff, provided the highest level of service and concern that I could possibly have hoped for.
in Loganville, GA |
Explains everything thoroughly
in Ellijay, GA |
Dr Refai is an excellent doctor and surgeon. I know a few people that have had back surgery and they highly recommended him. I have had the same excellent experience as they have had.
in Warner Robins, GA |
Dr Refai, and Shawnee have a awesome team. I am very satisfied with my surgery and my wife Gayle and my Daughter Amanda were very impress with the staff of Dr. Refai. I would recommend him to anyone that needs back surgery.
in McDonough, GA |
Dr. Refai and nurse Shawnee are absolutely amazing! The whole staff, from first checking in, x-ray, and check out, everyone is so friendly. I was really scared after my wreck and finding out that I was going to have to have surgery but, Dr. Refai and Shawnee assured me that everything would be fine and really put me at ease. I honestly have never had a better and more pleasant experience at a doctors office. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai to anyone!
in Concord GA |
My husband had suffered terribly for almost a year when we chose Dr. Refai as our second option to have a lumbar infusion on his L4, and L5 disk. Dr. Refai offered a better procedure than the traditional infusion that reduced pain and recovery time. The operation was successful with a speedy recovery. My husband had more pain with a toenail removal than back surgery! We definitely recommend Dr. Refai. You'll love his caring nurse Shawnee Wallace R.N, she's just a phone call away!
in Atlanta GA |
Dr. Refai inspired confidence that I was in good hands. He was respectful of my questions and those of my family. He and his team visited me regularly after surgery and showed a genuine interest In how I was feeling and how my condition was progressing.
in Tallapoosa, GA |
Dr. Refai completed my lumbar surgery three weeks ago. All appears to be well. There has been no sciatic nerve induced pain since surgery. Back pain is minimal. Dr. Refai is very straightforward in explaining what to do, what the patient needs to do, and whether or not surgery would be indicated and successful. I am extremely pleased with his work and my results so far.
Suwanee, GA |
Dr Refai did two surgeries on my husband - a laminectomy and a spinal fusion. Both were very successful. He did everything possible to provide us with realistic expectations for both the surgery itself and the recovery. He answered all our questions thoroughly and patiently. His nurse, Shawnee is also a tremendous asset addressing any concerns we had pre and post surgery. He fully respected the patient wishes related to rehabilitation post treatment and provided us with excellent service.
in Lilburn, GA |
Dr. Refai saved the life of our 82-year-old father! Dr. Refai performed emergency back surgery on our father after he developed meningitis from another facility and after three other surgical procedures had been performed within a 30-day period. My father's condition was grave. Dr. Refai was candid in his evaluation of my father's situation and gave us a realistic assessment and expectation for the outcome. Not only did my father survive, he is thriving! We credit Dr. Refai!
in Mableton, GA |
Dr Refai has a stellar pt care disposition.I recommend him to anyone seeking simple to complex spinal surgery. He and his nurse Shawnee has indisputable qualities The 2 were assiduous pointing out every aspect of my care demonstrating compassion.I am a RN. I was diagnosed with severe cervical stenosis my only option was to have surgery .He advised me to stop smoking the surgery was risk of not being effective. I stopped smoking surgery was in Jan 2017 .Dr Refai and Shawnee are the dream team.
in McDonough, GA |
Operated on L1-L5 area to clean out spurs in spinal cord on January 6, 2017, at Emory Mid-Town Hospital. Out of hospital a couple of days before normal. Back to riding bike and driving at end of February.
Roswell, GA |
Dr Refai saw me after experiencing extreme pain in my arm and neck. He immediately recommended surgery after analyzing the strength I had lost in my arm. I was comfortable since he had previously talked my wife out of surgery several years early and it was tje right call. Surgery was great and I can not say enough positive things about his staff. They were responsive and helpful at every stage. The best experience I have had with a medical procedure!!!
in Marietta, GA |
excellent doctor and surgeon. Listened to my complaints and my concerns and followed through with a surgery plan that fixed an issue I suffered with for over a year. I could not recommend him any higher. One of the finest doctors I have ever been to. I would like to add how terrific the actual surgery turned out at Emory Midtown hospital. Everyone on Dr. Refai's staff and all the staff at Emory were the best. I would give 10 stars if I could.
in Columbus, GA |
Dr. Refai, has been a God send to our family. We had a very horrible back surgery experience a year prior to consulting with him, and he has put our mind at ease about going forth with neck surgery. His staff and himself are very detailed and very good at what they do, he took every precaution needed to ensure we did not have complications this time. Definitely a recommendation from our family!!!
in Woodstock, GA |
Before the surgery, I was very skeptical about having back surgery. When I met with Dr. Refai he put my mind at ease somewhat. After surgery, there were some difficult days, but he assured me that I would be much better once I healed. I cannot begin to express what a difference it has made in my life - No pain, able to exercise, and the way I walk is much better. I am praising the Lord for how well my surgery has turned out! Dr. Refai definitely has "my vote"!
in Gainesville , GA |
Went to Dr Refai only for a second opinion and scheduled my surgery with him that same day. Very clear, concise, honest conversation that was never rushed. Did not feel like a number or that doctor and staff were being condescending. Felt my well-being was a consideration. From the lobby information officer to each member of the doctors' staff, everyone seemed to realize that this may be a difficult time for patients and their families, and it is respected at every stage of the process.
in Greensboro, NC |
Straightforward and honest with strong integrity in his evaluation
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Refai was amazing. After I explained to him the back pain I was suffering from and how long it had been going on; he examined me and knew I needed relief immediately. His bedside manner is the best. I feel very comfortable with him and really appreciate him for all he's done and .
Augusta, GA |
I would highly recommending Dr. Refai to all my family and friends. He is excellent in spine surgery and I was so glad that he is my surgeon. The minutes I was told that I have a tumor cyst in my spinal cord I was devastated. Dr. Refai made me feel at ease and assure me that he could help me.
Decatur, GA |
I would recommend Dr Refai to family and friends
in Atlanta, GA |
I definitely would recommend Dr. Refai to friends or family who might be facing back surgery.
Dr. Refai removed a tumor from my spinal cord. He and his staff are excellent! Any questions I had prior to and after surgery were promptly answered by his nurse. She was easily reachable and always helpful. Dr. Refai, his office staff, and hospital staff are very professional as well as personable. I was treated with kindness and never felt like I was just "another patient."
Marietta, GA |
The outcome from my spine surgery for spinal stenosis has exceeded my expectations at three months post surgery.
in SC |
Dr. Refai is an outstanding doctor with an efficient staff. I went to Dr. Refai for a second opinion, after having lumbar surgery by another doctor, at another hospital seven months prior. I was in extreme pain and very frustrated, as I felt the first surgery simply didn't work. Dr. Refai had me take a new MRI and CT scan and found nerves compressed from L3 to S1 of lumbar spine. He preformed surgery and I am now back to a normal routine and physically active. I highly recommend Dr. Refai!!
in Dublin, GA |
Dr. Refai & staff are amazing. I drove 2 hours for my appointments &surgery with Dr. Refai. I got the date wrong for one appt. & showed up on a day when they were in surgery, but one of his PAs & the receptionist worked it out for me to see the PA instead, saving me another long trip. The entire staff at Emory Midtown provides excellent customer service AND excellent health care. My entire experience for cervical spine surgery has been outstanding. 100% pain relief the minute I woke up!
Snellville, GA |
Dr. Refai is an excellent Doctor. He has a great bedside manor and explains everything thoroughly. He made me feel completely at ease before the surgery and at 3 weeks post-op I am feeling very little pain.
in Griffin, GA30224 |
Dr. Refai was very compassionate and knowledgeable and straightforward with all his consultations.DrRefai told me that after surgery I would have no pain. I have no pain thank you. Please feel free to contact me for any further information. My diagnosis was spinal osteomyelitis. He and his nurse's assistant Shawnee has worked with me patiently and Faithfully. I highly recommend him for any surgery or consultations needed. He is the best!!!
in Douglasville, GA |
The team has given me my life back. I wish i had met Dr R years ago and had his surgery.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Refai is an experienced and confident neurosurgeon. He is frank and honest about what he can do for you as his patient and is ubp front and honest about what he expects from you postoperatively. His skill level is beyond reproach and he is well respected by his Emory peers. I frequently was asked who was performing my surgery and was told that he is one of the best in his field. The surgery I had done in December was nothing short of a miracle. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai.
in Woodstock, GA |
It has been 6 1/2 weeks since Dr. Refai reopened my lower back, removed old hardware from my L5-S1 fusion surgery 6 years ago and then proceeded to fuse my L4-L5. My first surgery, performed by a different neurosurgeon in a different state, was horrible. My pain after surgery and my recovery was almost unbearable. I feel nothing less than blessed that I found Dr. Refai. My post surgery pain was minimal and my recovery has been very easy. I will choose Dr. Refai again, hands down.
in Atlanta, GA |
DR Refai Did such a good job yes I would tell my people s about him and he maid sure I had my pain control thanks A lot
in Dahlonega |
Dr Refai and his staff were professional and caring from the beginning. Shawnee has been awesome pre and post op.
in Decatur, GA |
Dr. Refai is very honest and straightforward when explaining things to you. He is a brilliant doc and I trust him completely . I would surely recommend him to my friends.
in Tucker, GA |
My family and I were amazed at the time and attention Dr. Refai spent with us before and after my surgery, he could not have been more gracious and personable. I consider myself extremely lucky to be one of his patients, he has a true gift to help others.
in Newnan, GA |
I met Dr. Refrai through a referral from a business client. I had already seen two other Doctors for my condition and after being in pain for a year I'm glad I choose him. He spent a lot of time with me, answered all my questions and did the least amount of surgery possible for my condition. I previously had several surgeries with a spine Dr in another state whom I was very comfortable with and I was very scared to have a new Dr. But I could not be happier, Dr. Refai is hands down wonderful!
in Stone Mountain |
I had terrible neck pain for several years and was referred to Dr. Refai for consultation. Initially, I hesitated because I wanted to be sure that surgery was necessary. I came back to Dr. Refai on several occassions to ask more questions and to gather more information. He was always very pleasant and full of knowledge on the subject of cervical fusion. He made me feel confident that I was in good hands. He told me, "this surgery may be big for you, but not for me. He is awesome.
in Murphy, NC |
Highly skilled, dedicated surgeon. Thankful to have had him perform my complicated surgery.
in Griffin, GA |
I am a 70 yr. old female who has suffered with extreme back and thigh pain, I have received several epedrals with another physcian with no lasting results. Upon seeing Dr. Rafai who carefully diagnosed my spinal column being pichhed by 50% and requiring surgery to correct and then six month later correcting my lower back area I have literally gotten my life back. I just completed my one year checkup and both surgeries were very successful. I highly recommend Dr. Rafai and his staff.
in Elberta, AL |
We cannot begin to express our gratitude to the abilities, professionalism and personality of this man. All doctors should take a lesson from his bed side manor. Dr Refai explained every detail of my husbands surgery and recovery and made us understand what spinal surgery recovery was all about. From the hospital to office visits, we could not be more pleased with this doctor and his staff. Shawnee is the BEST!!! We only wish we had found him years ago!
in warner robins, ga |
Surgery was performed with no complications and COMPLETE relief of my pain.
in Roswell, GA |
Very professional. Good sense of humor. Extremely good surgeon.
in Canton, GA |
On June 27 I underwent spinal surgery to eliminate severe back pain. Following surgery I had short term discomfort associated with the surgery but NO BACK PAIN!! After a few weeks I was back to my normal activities walking and playing golf. Dr. Refai is an excellent surgeon who genuinely cares. He spends as much time with you as you need and discusses all the issues associated with surgery, recovery and expected results. Dr. Refai as the ultimate and every category for doctor.
in Decatur, GA |
Making patients wait for 1 1/2 hours (in an exam room) without any word from staff is unacceptable. Happened to me the two times I saw MD in his office.I was in the hospital for 5 days post surgery (including ICU) -- he stopped by once. His bedside manner needs improvement.
Tallahassee, FL |
In 2014 I had a life threatening spinal problem. Dr. Refai was very patient in helping me understand my problem and in Sept 2014 he performed major surgery. I was just short of my 70th birthday and very active. After 5 months of recovery he cleared me to resume my active life including 17 days of skiing in March 2015. I'm still skiing. He was excellent to work with and I highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Are you Dr. Refai?