Dr. Daniel Refai, MD

Dr. Daniel Refai, MD

Neurosurgery | Male | 41 years old

107 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

Personalized care for complex spine problemsRead more

Dr. Refai's Experience

See how Dr. Refai's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Refai

Dr. Refai accepts 7 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Refai has admitting privileges.

Dr. Refai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Refai to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Refai
Dr. Refai's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (99)
Decatur, GA |
I would recommend Dr Refai to family and friends
in Atlanta, GA |
I definitely would recommend Dr. Refai to friends or family who might be facing back surgery.
Dr. Refai removed a tumor from my spinal cord. He and his staff are excellent! Any questions I had prior to and after surgery were promptly answered by his nurse. She was easily reachable and always helpful. Dr. Refai, his office staff, and hospital staff are very professional as well as personable. I was treated with kindness and never felt like I was just "another patient."
Marietta, GA |
The outcome from my spine surgery for spinal stenosis has exceeded my expectations at three months post surgery.
in SC |
Dr. Refai is an outstanding doctor with an efficient staff. I went to Dr. Refai for a second opinion, after having lumbar surgery by another doctor, at another hospital seven months prior. I was in extreme pain and very frustrated, as I felt the first surgery simply didn't work. Dr. Refai had me take a new MRI and CT scan and found nerves compressed from L3 to S1 of lumbar spine. He preformed surgery and I am now back to a normal routine and physically active. I highly recommend Dr. Refai!!
in Dublin, GA |
Dr. Refai & staff are amazing. I drove 2 hours for my appointments &surgery with Dr. Refai. I got the date wrong for one appt. & showed up on a day when they were in surgery, but one of his PAs & the receptionist worked it out for me to see the PA instead, saving me another long trip. The entire staff at Emory Midtown provides excellent customer service AND excellent health care. My entire experience for cervical spine surgery has been outstanding. 100% pain relief the minute I woke up!
Snellville, GA |
Dr. Refai is an excellent Doctor. He has a great bedside manor and explains everything thoroughly. He made me feel completely at ease before the surgery and at 3 weeks post-op I am feeling very little pain.
in Griffin, GA30224 |
Dr. Refai was very compassionate and knowledgeable and straightforward with all his consultations.DrRefai told me that after surgery I would have no pain. I have no pain thank you. Please feel free to contact me for any further information. My diagnosis was spinal osteomyelitis. He and his nurse's assistant Shawnee has worked with me patiently and Faithfully. I highly recommend him for any surgery or consultations needed. He is the best!!!
in Douglasville, GA |
The team has given me my life back. I wish i had met Dr R years ago and had his surgery.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Refai is an experienced and confident neurosurgeon. He is frank and honest about what he can do for you as his patient and is ubp front and honest about what he expects from you postoperatively. His skill level is beyond reproach and he is well respected by his Emory peers. I frequently was asked who was performing my surgery and was told that he is one of the best in his field. The surgery I had done in December was nothing short of a miracle. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai.
in Woodstock, GA |
It has been 6 1/2 weeks since Dr. Refai reopened my lower back, removed old hardware from my L5-S1 fusion surgery 6 years ago and then proceeded to fuse my L4-L5. My first surgery, performed by a different neurosurgeon in a different state, was horrible. My pain after surgery and my recovery was almost unbearable. I feel nothing less than blessed that I found Dr. Refai. My post surgery pain was minimal and my recovery has been very easy. I will choose Dr. Refai again, hands down.
in Atlanta, GA |
DR Refai Did such a good job yes I would tell my people s about him and he maid sure I had my pain control thanks A lot
in Dahlonega |
Dr Refai and his staff were professional and caring from the beginning. Shawnee has been awesome pre and post op.
in Decatur, GA |
Dr. Refai is very honest and straightforward when explaining things to you. He is a brilliant doc and I trust him completely . I would surely recommend him to my friends.
in Tucker, GA |
My family and I were amazed at the time and attention Dr. Refai spent with us before and after my surgery, he could not have been more gracious and personable. I consider myself extremely lucky to be one of his patients, he has a true gift to help others.
in Newnan, GA |
I met Dr. Refrai through a referral from a business client. I had already seen two other Doctors for my condition and after being in pain for a year I'm glad I choose him. He spent a lot of time with me, answered all my questions and did the least amount of surgery possible for my condition. I previously had several surgeries with a spine Dr in another state whom I was very comfortable with and I was very scared to have a new Dr. But I could not be happier, Dr. Refai is hands down wonderful!
in Stone Mountain |
I had terrible neck pain for several years and was referred to Dr. Refai for consultation. Initially, I hesitated because I wanted to be sure that surgery was necessary. I came back to Dr. Refai on several occassions to ask more questions and to gather more information. He was always very pleasant and full of knowledge on the subject of cervical fusion. He made me feel confident that I was in good hands. He told me, "this surgery may be big for you, but not for me. He is awesome.
in Murphy, NC |
Highly skilled, dedicated surgeon. Thankful to have had him perform my complicated surgery.
in Griffin, GA |
I am a 70 yr. old female who has suffered with extreme back and thigh pain, I have received several epedrals with another physcian with no lasting results. Upon seeing Dr. Rafai who carefully diagnosed my spinal column being pichhed by 50% and requiring surgery to correct and then six month later correcting my lower back area I have literally gotten my life back. I just completed my one year checkup and both surgeries were very successful. I highly recommend Dr. Rafai and his staff.
in Elberta, AL |
We cannot begin to express our gratitude to the abilities, professionalism and personality of this man. All doctors should take a lesson from his bed side manor. Dr Refai explained every detail of my husbands surgery and recovery and made us understand what spinal surgery recovery was all about. From the hospital to office visits, we could not be more pleased with this doctor and his staff. Shawnee is the BEST!!! We only wish we had found him years ago!
in warner robins, ga |
Surgery was performed with no complications and COMPLETE relief of my pain.
in Stone Mountain, GA |
Very considerate Doctor. Spends time necessary to help make the right decision for your care. Involves you in the decision making process. Makes sure patient understands exactly what is going on and is clear on what needs to be done.
in Roswell, GA |
Very professional. Good sense of humor. Extremely good surgeon.
in Canton, GA |
On June 27 I underwent spinal surgery to eliminate severe back pain. Following surgery I had short term discomfort associated with the surgery but NO BACK PAIN!! After a few weeks I was back to my normal activities walking and playing golf. Dr. Refai is an excellent surgeon who genuinely cares. He spends as much time with you as you need and discusses all the issues associated with surgery, recovery and expected results. Dr. Refai as the ultimate and every category for doctor.
in Decatur, GA |
Making patients wait for 1 1/2 hours (in an exam room) without any word from staff is unacceptable. Happened to me the two times I saw MD in his office.I was in the hospital for 5 days post surgery (including ICU) -- he stopped by once. His bedside manner needs improvement.
Tallahassee, FL |
In 2014 I had a life threatening spinal problem. Dr. Refai was very patient in helping me understand my problem and in Sept 2014 he performed major surgery. I was just short of my 70th birthday and very active. After 5 months of recovery he cleared me to resume my active life including 17 days of skiing in March 2015. I'm still skiing. He was excellent to work with and I highly recommend him.
in Woodstock, GA |
He is a frank to the point surgeon, which I liked.
in Dallas, GA |
This was by far the scariest surgery I've had. It's my spine he's messing with. I could take a chance and do this surgery and hope for the best or I can continue to have my mobility decline at a young age of 47 and be in unbareable pain. Well I couldn't be more satisfied. He didn't just get rid of a little pain he got rid of all my back pain. I feel amazing. I want to thank you Dr. Refai for doing a wonderful job. I highly recommend Dr. Refai he is the best of the best.
in Peachtree City, GA |
I highly recommend Dr. Refai, I suffered low back and right leg pain for years from spondylolisthesis and stenosis. I had spinal fusion surgery (cortical screws & TLIF) at L4 L5. I was off all pain meds within a week. I was walking several miles within 2 weeks and the ache / pain was gone. I still have some foot numbness which hopefully will disappear with time. Dr. Refai was straight forward with potential risks but confident that the outcome would be positive. He was absolutely correct.
in Dallas, GA |
Dr. Refai took time to answer ALL my questions and to explain in detail what would happen during surgery and what possible outcomes I could expect after surgery. Surgery went as Dr. Refai had described with minimal amount of pain afterwards. Today, after physical therapy that Dr. Refai prescribed, I can walk without walker or cane. Dr. Refai and his nurse, Shawnee, have been very supportive throughout this experience. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai to anyone needing spinal surgery.
in Alpharetta, GA |
Dr. Refai is extremely confident which made me feel comfortable. He was never in a rush. Explained the procedure thoroughly and was upfront about risk. He is straight forward, which I loved and respect. I had a benign Hemangioma Spinal Tumor at T-9. He removed the tumor and repaired my spine. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and I think I'm doing good. Still have some pain and stiffness, still recovering but believe I will recover 100%.
in Lake Sinclair, Ga. |
My brother, Robert Lee, has Parkinson's disease. He could not walk for 18 months. We thought it was the Parkinson's disease until Dr. Refai diagnosed him with vertebra in his neck was pressing on his spinal column. Dr. Refai did surgery and my brother is now walking. How wonderful to see him out of that wheel chair. Thank you Dr. Refai and your staff for giving my brother back his freedom.
in Union City, GA |
Dr. Daniel Refai is the very BEST!!! I have suffered with severe spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis and significant degenerative disc disease for over twelve years. Dr. Refai is a very straight forward, caring, professional and skillful surgeon who is very concerned for his patients. I am so very grateful that Dr. Refai was my surgeon. I am no longer living with severe pain. The recovery is far surpassing everything I was hoping for. I highly recommend Dr. Refai. He's the best!!!
in Stockbridge, GA |
I had lower back pain for 10 years. After I saw Dr. Refai, I felt like he was the right person for the job of fixing my problems. I am so happy with the results of that surgery. No back pain. He and his staff treated me like I wanted to be treated. They were very positive and respectful of me during the entire process. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Refai to anyone who in need of help with their spine problems. My golf game is back to what it was 10 years ago.
LAWRENCEVILLE |
The best, highly recommended.
in Savannah, Georgia |
After 13 mos of chronic pain after a fusion that cause head to tilt, and being told by Dr that he didn't see why I should be have the intense pain I experiencing, Dr Refai was able to assess my problem as Cervical Kyphosis with neck pain, he recommend sugrey, after telling about symptoms I was feeling, I had surgery and he was able to lift neck back up a level which helped with chronic pain, Dr Refai was a God sent, Shawnee and the entire staff are beautiful personalities, again we appreciate yo
in Gainesville, FL |
I recommend Dr. Refai highly. I was in terrible pain for years with spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. Now I am walking two miles and going to exercise classes. I only needed pain pills for three days after I got home from the hospital. I was mostly sitting in my recliner before the surgery. Yes, I have bars & screws and it is so worth it.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Are you Dr. Refai?

Compare Dr. Refai

Dr. Refai's Care Philosophy

Personalized care for complex spine problems

Dr. Refai says...

Complex Spine Surgery

Spine Tumors

Radiosurgery

Degenerative Spine Surgery

Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery

Dr. Refai's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery

Dr. Refai has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Refai's Board Certifications

• Neurosurgery

• Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

Cleveland Clin Spine Inst

Completed in 2010

Tufts University

Graduated in 1993

Dr. Refai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Refai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair