Dr. Daniel Refai, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 47

Neurosurgery

Dr. Daniel Refai, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Atlanta, GA and has over 19 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University Of Chicago/The Pritzker School Of Medicine in 2003. He is affiliated with medical facilities Emory University Hospital and Emory University Hospital Midtown. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Daniel Refai, MD

Emory Orthopaedics And Spine Center

59 Executive Park South NE Ste 3000 Atlanta, GA 30329
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Refai is affiliated with Emory University Hospital Atlanta, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 100 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Georgia

Check Dr. Refai's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Interlaminar Spacer
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoforaminotomy
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Trigger Finger

Dr. Refai accepts

Dr. Refai accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter

Dr. Refai's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Refai

Dr. Refai

Surgery consultation
Both Dr Refai and his resident were very friendly. Explained procedure very well. Dr Refai was not rushed and made sure all my questions were answered.
Fletcher – Jul 13, 2022
The Best
There are no words to describe my gratitude to Dr. Refai and his staff(also Dr. Steven Miller) for giving me my life back. I lived with excruciating pain daily until my surgery. Now I have no pain and am able to do things like yard work and taking care of grand children with no difficulties. Every step of the way I was given education and instruction. I always felt a genuine concern for my well being. I can't say "thank you" enough!
Gail Eidson – Jun 11, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
He is the Best of the Best!!!
Dr. Refai is the GREATEST dr. we have ever had! My husband experienced SEVERE pain in his hip, leg, and back. It was so bad he couldn't sleep or eat. He spent 24 hrs a day trying to get comfortable. He lost 25 lbs and couldn't work for a year! After seeing various Drs. at Emory and taking many Xrays, MRIs, and CAT scans, we were finally referred to Dr. Refai. I felt he was heaven sent! When he looked into my husband's eyes and told him "we're going to get to the bottom of this", I knew we were going to be okay. He treated us with respect, he was attentive and very detailed. On the very first visit, he saw a second large mass. He stopped during the visit to get my husband an appt. with a urologist for the other mass. No radiologists wanted to biopsy 1st mass due to "location". Dr. Refai went in blind and did an AMAZING job! After much discussion/planning, 2 surgeries later he gave my husband his life back!! During the long recovery he was with us every step! We LOVE Dr Refai and Katie!
Vicki and Robert Young – May 13, 2022
Great experience
Dr. Refai and his staff are excellent, kind, and professional. Every step of the process went smoothly from evaluation to pre-op to follow-up. I hope I never have to undergo surgery again, but if I do, I would return to Dr. Refai.
May 04, 2022
Review
Dr.Refai and his staff are so awesome. I had surgery, and we discussed how my recovery will be. I'm so thankful for every step-by-step walk through that he and his staff.
Erica – Mar 22, 2022
Six Month Follow Up
Dr. Refai’s surgery enabled me to walk normally and be completely restored from near total paralysis caused by a tumor. I’ve already reviewed the surgery experience but want to add that the follow up appointment was extremely gratifying. He repeatedly said “I’m as happy as you are,” and he genuinely meant that. He remembered details of my condition before the surgery and even how concerned my husband was. He was excited at how complete the recovery was. His expertise is evident, but his personal care and warmth is also exemplary. He does not fit the stereotype of the cold surgeon. I recommend him without reservation.
Judy Stroup – Feb 28, 2022
Dr. Refai
Dr. Refai is a wonderful surgeon he performed surgery on my husband and now my husband is doing great thank you so much Dr. Refai!
Feb 26, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Dr Refai is a brilliant, innovative surgeon who is focused on patient outcomes. He takes time to ensure that you understand your condition, understand the surgical approach, and enjoys patients who question. My TLIF surgical recovery was so different from what I’d read about. Dr Refai’s approach and very specific post op instructions had me dealing with discomfort but very little pain and I was able to walk outside 30 minutes twice a day within a month!
Becky Chambers – Feb 18, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Dr. Refai has operated on me twice, both in emergent situations. Both instances, he took the time to come see me in pre-op and chat, both about the surgery and life in general. He really put me at ease and I was so comfortable having him as my surgeon. My first surgery (L4/L5 and L5/S1 laminectomy-discectomy) was just penciled into his schedule, but despite the stress that caused and my general stress of the situation, Dr. Refai made me laugh before I was wheeled into his OR. My second surgery (a fusion in the same place) was his first surgery back after the new year. He took the time to come in, reassure me about the procedure, and chat about the weather. Granted, I wish I was never in this situation, but if it happens again, I'm calling Dr. Refai!
Feb 17, 2022
Team Refai
Daniel Refai and his team are now my "go to" back surgery crew. For over a decade, I suffered from ever increasing sciatic pains and numbness. On the 23rd of December, I underwent a laminectomy of L2-L5 and a fusion of L4-L5 under Dr. Refai talented hands. The result: total, repeat TOTAL, relief of the long-suffered pain with very little pain attendant to the actual surgery! To document that: I have not taken a single dose of pain medication (including OTC NSAIDS) since leaving post-surgery recovery. I was walking the next morning after surgery, with a walker, which I discarded after about a week. From initial diagnosis to five-week follow-up visit, Team Refai has delivered outstanding service for me. I have been given excellent information regarding my condition, the proposed surgical remedy, and steps to be taken post surgery. After receiving military/VA medical treatment for over 50 years, I am bowled over by the outstanding treatment I've received in this episode. WOW!
Charles Freeman – Feb 08, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
It has been three months since my surgery and I am thrilled with my progress thanks to Dr. Refai and his team for their proper diagnosis, skilled repair and outstanding follow up. I highly recommend Dr. Refai who communicated clearly throughout the entire process about what to expect, who pinpointed what had to be done, and then repaired my back so I was able to celebrate the holidays in style! Kudos also to his great team of nurses and office staff who responded quickly to any questions, big or small, after the surgery. Skill and communications: 100%. What more can you wish for?
Louise Plonowski – Jan 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Dr. Refai performed a single-level ACDF on me a few months ago, and I cannot thank him and his team enough. They truly changed my life. I'm a 34-year-old healthy male, in the gym most days. Last year, I began having weakness, pain and numbness, in my arm. I did physical therapy before being referred to Dr. Refai. At my first appointment, Dr. Refai gave me a thorough breakdown of my options. He even encouraged me to get a second opinion if I wanted. This reassured me that he was confident in his work. Surgery was scheduled within a couple of weeks, and I'm now 7 weeks out from surgery. I woke up from surgery essentially pain-free, with a few minor symptoms. I am now completely without symptoms, and I can't thank Dr. Refai and his team for giving me my life back. Two months ago, I couldn't hold my head up straight without stabbing pains in my shoulder and back. Today, I am pain-free and able to work out again. I would recommend Dr. Refai to anyone experiencing symptoms of radiculopathy.
Will – Nov 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
I woke up one morning and could not walk or feel my leg. Long story short I got an MRI and was immediately sent to Emory for emergency surgery. To say I was scared is an understatement and my wife was terrified. Without immediate surgery I risked Being permanently paralyzed. After reviewing my case, Dr Refai decided he was best qualified for my case. He came in on his day off with a broken foot. These actions only come from those who truly love what they do. It has been over two months since my surgery and I feel so much better than I did prior to having back surgery. I’m still recovering but the quality of my life has definitely improved. I will be forever grateful for everything Dr Refai did for me and I could not recommend him more highly!!
Silver Lining of a Terrible situation – Nov 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Experience was exceptional from start to finish. Dr Refai and his team were thoughtful, thorough, professional, and addressed all my questions and concerns in layman terms.
Renee Wince – Nov 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Dr. Refai and his staff are incredible. The nurses responded to every message I sent within a few hours. Everyone I met with was kind and happy to go the extra mile to help me. Dr. Refai is personable and informative. He is a fantastic surgeon. I highly recommend him!
Oct 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
When I first saw Dr. Refai, I could not walk at all and could hardly stand. He explained what he saw on my MRI (meningioma of thoracic spine) and what he would do in the surgery in an easily understood way. He admitted me on an emergency basis and did the surgery two days later. I could move my legs immediately after surgery, and six weeks later, I am walking on my own and living normally again, which seems like a miracle. While in the hospital, his P.A.s saw me every day and answered any questions. At the followup Zoom visit, he again explained exactly what he had done and showed me the before and after MRI images. He not only took time to talk but clearly remembered my situation among his large number of patients and clearly cared about me personally, not just as a case. I would recommend him without any hesitation. His medical skill is obvious, but his humanity is also notable.
Judy Stroup – Oct 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
I am very please with DR Refai performing my back surgery. Thanks to all the staff at Emory and DR Refai.
Aug 27, 2021
Fortunate to be a patient of Dr. Refai. A renowned surgeon in neurosurgery
James A Bowen – Aug 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Dr Refai changed my whole life back in Feb of 2011. I could only stand for 30 seconds or so the pain was so bad. This man fixed all the different issues I had going on in my lower back and 10 years later it is still awesome! I wanted to thank my “back hero” again as I am fixing to go through a knee replacement now and was thinking about how fortunate I was to have found such a fantastic doctor to correct my back and pray I have done it again with my knee surgeon . My best and warmest regard to Dr Refai. Always!
Mahlon Allen – Jul 03, 2021
Cervical fusion
Tammy Braum – Jun 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Refai?