Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Daniel Refai, MD
Dr. Daniel Refai, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Atlanta, GA. He is 42 years old and has been practicing for 14 years. Dr. Refai is affiliated with Emory University Hospital Midtown, Grady Memorial Hospital and Emory University Hospital.

Atlanta Office

59 Executive Park South NE Ste 3000

Atlanta, GA 30329

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia

Learn about Dr. Refai

Personalized care for complex spine problems

Dr. Refai's Experience

Dr. Refai's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery
  • Board certified in Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Neurosurgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Neurological Surgery*

• Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Spinal or Cranial

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• Tufts University
  • Washington University In St Louis School of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Cleveland Clin Spine Inst
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Refai has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Refai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Refai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Refai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Refai to family and friends
Dr. Refai's Performance
in Atlanta GA |
Dr. Refai inspired confidence that I was in good hands. He was respectful of my questions and those of my family. He and his team visited me regularly after surgery and showed a genuine interest In how I was feeling and how my condition was progressing.
in Tallapoosa, GA |
Dr. Refai completed my lumbar surgery three weeks ago. All appears to be well. There has been no sciatic nerve induced pain since surgery. Back pain is minimal. Dr. Refai is very straightforward in explaining what to do, what the patient needs to do, and whether or not surgery would be indicated and successful. I am extremely pleased with his work and my results so far.
Suwanee, GA |
Dr Refai did two surgeries on my husband - a laminectomy and a spinal fusion. Both were very successful. He did everything possible to provide us with realistic expectations for both the surgery itself and the recovery. He answered all our questions thoroughly and patiently. His nurse, Shawnee is also a tremendous asset addressing any concerns we had pre and post surgery. He fully respected the patient wishes related to rehabilitation post treatment and provided us with excellent service.
in Lilburn, GA |
Dr. Refai saved the life of our 82-year-old father! Dr. Refai performed emergency back surgery on our father after he developed meningitis from another facility and after three other surgical procedures had been performed within a 30-day period. My father's condition was grave. Dr. Refai was candid in his evaluation of my father's situation and gave us a realistic assessment and expectation for the outcome. Not only did my father survive, he is thriving! We credit Dr. Refai!
in Mableton, GA |
Dr Refai has a stellar pt care disposition.I recommend him to anyone seeking simple to complex spinal surgery. He and his nurse Shawnee has indisputable qualities The 2 were assiduous pointing out every aspect of my care demonstrating compassion.I am a RN. I was diagnosed with severe cervical stenosis my only option was to have surgery .He advised me to stop smoking the surgery was risk of not being effective. I stopped smoking surgery was in Jan 2017 .Dr Refai and Shawnee are the dream team.
in McDonough, GA |
Operated on L1-L5 area to clean out spurs in spinal cord on January 6, 2017, at Emory Mid-Town Hospital. Out of hospital a couple of days before normal. Back to riding bike and driving at end of February.
Roswell, GA |
Dr Refai saw me after experiencing extreme pain in my arm and neck. He immediately recommended surgery after analyzing the strength I had lost in my arm. I was comfortable since he had previously talked my wife out of surgery several years early and it was tje right call. Surgery was great and I can not say enough positive things about his staff. They were responsive and helpful at every stage. The best experience I have had with a medical procedure!!!
in Marietta, GA |
excellent doctor and surgeon. Listened to my complaints and my concerns and followed through with a surgery plan that fixed an issue I suffered with for over a year. I could not recommend him any higher. One of the finest doctors I have ever been to. I would like to add how terrific the actual surgery turned out at Emory Midtown hospital. Everyone on Dr. Refai's staff and all the staff at Emory were the best. I would give 10 stars if I could.
in Columbus, GA |
Dr. Refai, has been a God send to our family. We had a very horrible back surgery experience a year prior to consulting with him, and he has put our mind at ease about going forth with neck surgery. His staff and himself are very detailed and very good at what they do, he took every precaution needed to ensure we did not have complications this time. Definitely a recommendation from our family!!!
in Woodstock, GA |
Before the surgery, I was very skeptical about having back surgery. When I met with Dr. Refai he put my mind at ease somewhat. After surgery, there were some difficult days, but he assured me that I would be much better once I healed. I cannot begin to express what a difference it has made in my life - No pain, able to exercise, and the way I walk is much better. I am praising the Lord for how well my surgery has turned out! Dr. Refai definitely has "my vote"!
in Gainesville , GA |
Went to Dr Refai only for a second opinion and scheduled my surgery with him that same day. Very clear, concise, honest conversation that was never rushed. Did not feel like a number or that doctor and staff were being condescending. Felt my well-being was a consideration. From the lobby information officer to each member of the doctors' staff, everyone seemed to realize that this may be a difficult time for patients and their families, and it is respected at every stage of the process.
in Greensboro, NC |
Straightforward and honest with strong integrity in his evaluation
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Refai was amazing. After I explained to him the back pain I was suffering from and how long it had been going on; he examined me and knew I needed relief immediately. His bedside manner is the best. I feel very comfortable with him and really appreciate him for all he's done and .
Augusta, GA |
I would highly recommending Dr. Refai to all my family and friends. He is excellent in spine surgery and I was so glad that he is my surgeon. The minutes I was told that I have a tumor cyst in my spinal cord I was devastated. Dr. Refai made me feel at ease and assure me that he could help me.
Decatur, GA |
I would recommend Dr Refai to family and friends
in Atlanta, GA |
I definitely would recommend Dr. Refai to friends or family who might be facing back surgery.
Dr. Refai removed a tumor from my spinal cord. He and his staff are excellent! Any questions I had prior to and after surgery were promptly answered by his nurse. She was easily reachable and always helpful. Dr. Refai, his office staff, and hospital staff are very professional as well as personable. I was treated with kindness and never felt like I was just "another patient."
Marietta, GA |
The outcome from my spine surgery for spinal stenosis has exceeded my expectations at three months post surgery.
in SC |
Dr. Refai is an outstanding doctor with an efficient staff. I went to Dr. Refai for a second opinion, after having lumbar surgery by another doctor, at another hospital seven months prior. I was in extreme pain and very frustrated, as I felt the first surgery simply didn't work. Dr. Refai had me take a new MRI and CT scan and found nerves compressed from L3 to S1 of lumbar spine. He preformed surgery and I am now back to a normal routine and physically active. I highly recommend Dr. Refai!!
in Dublin, GA |
Dr. Refai & staff are amazing. I drove 2 hours for my appointments &surgery with Dr. Refai. I got the date wrong for one appt. & showed up on a day when they were in surgery, but one of his PAs & the receptionist worked it out for me to see the PA instead, saving me another long trip. The entire staff at Emory Midtown provides excellent customer service AND excellent health care. My entire experience for cervical spine surgery has been outstanding. 100% pain relief the minute I woke up!
Snellville, GA |
Dr. Refai is an excellent Doctor. He has a great bedside manor and explains everything thoroughly. He made me feel completely at ease before the surgery and at 3 weeks post-op I am feeling very little pain.
in Griffin, GA30224 |
Dr. Refai was very compassionate and knowledgeable and straightforward with all his consultations.DrRefai told me that after surgery I would have no pain. I have no pain thank you. Please feel free to contact me for any further information. My diagnosis was spinal osteomyelitis. He and his nurse's assistant Shawnee has worked with me patiently and Faithfully. I highly recommend him for any surgery or consultations needed. He is the best!!!
in Douglasville, GA |
The team has given me my life back. I wish i had met Dr R years ago and had his surgery.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr Refai is an experienced and confident neurosurgeon. He is frank and honest about what he can do for you as his patient and is ubp front and honest about what he expects from you postoperatively. His skill level is beyond reproach and he is well respected by his Emory peers. I frequently was asked who was performing my surgery and was told that he is one of the best in his field. The surgery I had done in December was nothing short of a miracle. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai.
in Woodstock, GA |
It has been 6 1/2 weeks since Dr. Refai reopened my lower back, removed old hardware from my L5-S1 fusion surgery 6 years ago and then proceeded to fuse my L4-L5. My first surgery, performed by a different neurosurgeon in a different state, was horrible. My pain after surgery and my recovery was almost unbearable. I feel nothing less than blessed that I found Dr. Refai. My post surgery pain was minimal and my recovery has been very easy. I will choose Dr. Refai again, hands down.
in Atlanta, GA |
DR Refai Did such a good job yes I would tell my people s about him and he maid sure I had my pain control thanks A lot
in Dahlonega |
Dr Refai and his staff were professional and caring from the beginning. Shawnee has been awesome pre and post op.
in Decatur, GA |
Dr. Refai is very honest and straightforward when explaining things to you. He is a brilliant doc and I trust him completely . I would surely recommend him to my friends.
in Tucker, GA |
My family and I were amazed at the time and attention Dr. Refai spent with us before and after my surgery, he could not have been more gracious and personable. I consider myself extremely lucky to be one of his patients, he has a true gift to help others.
in Newnan, GA |
I met Dr. Refrai through a referral from a business client. I had already seen two other Doctors for my condition and after being in pain for a year I'm glad I choose him. He spent a lot of time with me, answered all my questions and did the least amount of surgery possible for my condition. I previously had several surgeries with a spine Dr in another state whom I was very comfortable with and I was very scared to have a new Dr. But I could not be happier, Dr. Refai is hands down wonderful!
in Stone Mountain |
I had terrible neck pain for several years and was referred to Dr. Refai for consultation. Initially, I hesitated because I wanted to be sure that surgery was necessary. I came back to Dr. Refai on several occassions to ask more questions and to gather more information. He was always very pleasant and full of knowledge on the subject of cervical fusion. He made me feel confident that I was in good hands. He told me, "this surgery may be big for you, but not for me. He is awesome.
in Murphy, NC |
Highly skilled, dedicated surgeon. Thankful to have had him perform my complicated surgery.
in Griffin, GA |
I am a 70 yr. old female who has suffered with extreme back and thigh pain, I have received several epedrals with another physcian with no lasting results. Upon seeing Dr. Rafai who carefully diagnosed my spinal column being pichhed by 50% and requiring surgery to correct and then six month later correcting my lower back area I have literally gotten my life back. I just completed my one year checkup and both surgeries were very successful. I highly recommend Dr. Rafai and his staff.
in Elberta, AL |
We cannot begin to express our gratitude to the abilities, professionalism and personality of this man. All doctors should take a lesson from his bed side manor. Dr Refai explained every detail of my husbands surgery and recovery and made us understand what spinal surgery recovery was all about. From the hospital to office visits, we could not be more pleased with this doctor and his staff. Shawnee is the BEST!!! We only wish we had found him years ago!
in warner robins, ga |
Surgery was performed with no complications and COMPLETE relief of my pain.
in Stone Mountain, GA |
Very considerate Doctor. Spends time necessary to help make the right decision for your care. Involves you in the decision making process. Makes sure patient understands exactly what is going on and is clear on what needs to be done.
in Roswell, GA |
Very professional. Good sense of humor. Extremely good surgeon.
in Canton, GA |
On June 27 I underwent spinal surgery to eliminate severe back pain. Following surgery I had short term discomfort associated with the surgery but NO BACK PAIN!! After a few weeks I was back to my normal activities walking and playing golf. Dr. Refai is an excellent surgeon who genuinely cares. He spends as much time with you as you need and discusses all the issues associated with surgery, recovery and expected results. Dr. Refai as the ultimate and every category for doctor.
in Decatur, GA |
Making patients wait for 1 1/2 hours (in an exam room) without any word from staff is unacceptable. Happened to me the two times I saw MD in his office.I was in the hospital for 5 days post surgery (including ICU) -- he stopped by once. His bedside manner needs improvement.
Tallahassee, FL |
In 2014 I had a life threatening spinal problem. Dr. Refai was very patient in helping me understand my problem and in Sept 2014 he performed major surgery. I was just short of my 70th birthday and very active. After 5 months of recovery he cleared me to resume my active life including 17 days of skiing in March 2015. I'm still skiing. He was excellent to work with and I highly recommend him.
in Woodstock, GA |
He is a frank to the point surgeon, which I liked.
in Dallas, GA |
This was by far the scariest surgery I've had. It's my spine he's messing with. I could take a chance and do this surgery and hope for the best or I can continue to have my mobility decline at a young age of 47 and be in unbareable pain. Well I couldn't be more satisfied. He didn't just get rid of a little pain he got rid of all my back pain. I feel amazing. I want to thank you Dr. Refai for doing a wonderful job. I highly recommend Dr. Refai he is the best of the best.
in Peachtree City, GA |
I highly recommend Dr. Refai, I suffered low back and right leg pain for years from spondylolisthesis and stenosis. I had spinal fusion surgery (cortical screws & TLIF) at L4 L5. I was off all pain meds within a week. I was walking several miles within 2 weeks and the ache / pain was gone. I still have some foot numbness which hopefully will disappear with time. Dr. Refai was straight forward with potential risks but confident that the outcome would be positive. He was absolutely correct.
in Dallas, GA |
Dr. Refai took time to answer ALL my questions and to explain in detail what would happen during surgery and what possible outcomes I could expect after surgery. Surgery went as Dr. Refai had described with minimal amount of pain afterwards. Today, after physical therapy that Dr. Refai prescribed, I can walk without walker or cane. Dr. Refai and his nurse, Shawnee, have been very supportive throughout this experience. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai to anyone needing spinal surgery.
in Alpharetta, GA |
Dr. Refai is extremely confident which made me feel comfortable. He was never in a rush. Explained the procedure thoroughly and was upfront about risk. He is straight forward, which I loved and respect. I had a benign Hemangioma Spinal Tumor at T-9. He removed the tumor and repaired my spine. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and I think I'm doing good. Still have some pain and stiffness, still recovering but believe I will recover 100%.
in Lake Sinclair, Ga. |
My brother, Robert Lee, has Parkinson's disease. He could not walk for 18 months. We thought it was the Parkinson's disease until Dr. Refai diagnosed him with vertebra in his neck was pressing on his spinal column. Dr. Refai did surgery and my brother is now walking. How wonderful to see him out of that wheel chair. Thank you Dr. Refai and your staff for giving my brother back his freedom.
in Union City, GA |
Dr. Daniel Refai is the very BEST!!! I have suffered with severe spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis and significant degenerative disc disease for over twelve years. Dr. Refai is a very straight forward, caring, professional and skillful surgeon who is very concerned for his patients. I am so very grateful that Dr. Refai was my surgeon. I am no longer living with severe pain. The recovery is far surpassing everything I was hoping for. I highly recommend Dr. Refai. He's the best!!!
in Stockbridge, GA |
I had lower back pain for 10 years. After I saw Dr. Refai, I felt like he was the right person for the job of fixing my problems. I am so happy with the results of that surgery. No back pain. He and his staff treated me like I wanted to be treated. They were very positive and respectful of me during the entire process. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Refai to anyone who in need of help with their spine problems. My golf game is back to what it was 10 years ago.
LAWRENCEVILLE |
The best, highly recommended.
in Savannah, Georgia |
After 13 mos of chronic pain after a fusion that cause head to tilt, and being told by Dr that he didn't see why I should be have the intense pain I experiencing, Dr Refai was able to assess my problem as Cervical Kyphosis with neck pain, he recommend sugrey, after telling about symptoms I was feeling, I had surgery and he was able to lift neck back up a level which helped with chronic pain, Dr Refai was a God sent, Shawnee and the entire staff are beautiful personalities, again we appreciate yo
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Refai, MD?
Are you Dr. Refai?