My goal is to find the simplest way to give you better quality of life and a quicker recovery. I have found that procedures such as cervical disk replacement, endoscopic spine surgery, and non-fusion techniques often provide better outcomes with a quicker recovery.
I also specialize in complex, revision, and minimally invasive spine surgery. A fusion procedure is not always required. What is required is getting an accurate diagnosis of the problem before proceeding with surgery.
I have been in practice for over 13 years. I have tried to create Minnesota Spine Institute as a location for patients to get the care they need for their spine problems that focused on them. I will make sure that you get individualized treatment that provides the best outcomes.
If you have been recommended a fusion then consider asking me for a second opinion to see if there is a easier, simpler way of solving your spine problem with a faster recovery and less discomfort.
Spine Surgery Fellowship:
Indiana Spine Group, Indianapolis, IN. 2/2004-7/2004
Spine Surgery, PSC, Louisville, KY 8/2003-1/2004
Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN. Orthopedic Surgery, 7/1998-8/2004
University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN. 9/1993-6/1998
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society
B.A. University of Minnesota, Physiology, 7/1987-6/1992
• Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Minnesota Spine Institute,
1/2017 to present
• Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Midwest Spine and Brain Institute, 6/1/2010 to 12/31/2016
• Medical Director and CEO: Maple Grove Center for Restorative Surgery, 2013 to present
• Chief of Orthopedics, Unity Hospital,
2011 to 2012
• St. Croix Orthopaedics: Executive Committee
2007 to 2010
• Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: St. Croix Orthopaedics,
8/2004 to 3/2010
Minnesota: March 2004 to present
Wisconsin: December 2005 to present
Kentucky: March 2003
Indiana: July 1998
2017 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery-publication date June/July 2017
2016 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery
2015 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery
8/2014 Minnesota Monthly Top Doctor Award 2014
2008 Emmy for Internet Broadcast: Live Lumbar Microdiskectomy
Medical School: Honors: Alpha Omega Alpha 1997
Minnesota Medical Foundation Research Grant: "Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer for Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A Cadaveric and Clinical Study
Outstanding Physiology Paper: Medical School
Medical School: Partial Scholarship
• Unstable thoracolumbar burst fractures: anterior-only versus short-segment posterior fixation.
• Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer For Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A cadaveric and clinical study.
• Intrinsic Balancing in Reconstruction of the Tetraplegic Hand.
• Gross Anatomy Teaching Assistant, Medical School
• Numerous medical students, physician assistants and residents.
Professional Development Courses
• Spine Endoscopy: Joimax
• Spine Endoscopy: Wolf
• Cervical Disk Replacement: Mobi-c, Medtronic, Synthes
• Lumbar Disk Replacement: Charite, Synthes
• Recertification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery 4/2016
• North American Spine Society 2008
• Norwegian American Orthopedic Society
• International Spine Intervention Society 2006-2007
• Board Certification: Orthopedic Surgery 2006
9/7/2016 Willmar Affiliated Community Medical Centers Presentation: Cervical Arthroplasty
5/26/2016 CDI/Chiropractor Lunch and Learn Meeting: "Advances in Cervical Motion Preservation vs Cervical Fusion"
Winter 2015/16 Dorothy Day Shoes for Homeless Volunteer: Foot exam/Toe Trimming/Foot Ulcer and Wart Debridement
5/12/2015 Fairview Princeton Medical Staff Bi-annual meeting presentation: "Advances in Cervical Motion Preservation vs Cervical Fusion"
4/2015 Maple Grove Magazine article, "How I Got My Life Back"
9/9/2014 Princeton Chiropractor Presentation: Spine Surgery Basics
4/2014 Recertification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
3/26/2012 Fairview Princeton Medical Provider Quarterly Staff Meeting Joint Presentation: Interventional Pain Management for Spine Patients
8/2012 September Sun article: What you need to know about back and neck pain from Dr. Daniel Hanson
6/8/2012 Fairview Lakes Pre and Post-op Tutorial on perioperative spine patient care
4/6/2012 Stillwater Medical Group Lunch and Learn, "Lumbar and Cervical Radiculopathy
9/2011 Healthcare News Article: Treating Spine Related Pain
9/11/2010 Blaine Wellness Day. Co-presenter, "Get Back your Active Life"