Dr. Daniel Hanson, MD

Dr. Daniel Hanson, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Minnesota Spine Institute 9325 Upland Ln N Ste 205 Maple Grove, MN 55369 Get Directions

My goal is to find the simplest way to give you better quality of life and a quicker recovery.  I have found that procedures such as cervical disk replacement, endoscopic spine surgery, and non-fusion techniques often provide better outcomes with a quicker recovery.

I also specialize in complex, revision, and minimally invasive spine surgery.  A fusion procedure is not always required.  What is required is getting an accurate diagnosis of the problem before proceeding with surgery.

I have been in practice for over 13 years.  I have tried to create Minnesota Spine Institute as a location for patients to get the care they need for their spine problems that focused on them.  I will make sure that you get individualized treatment that provides the best outcomes.

If you have been recommended a fusion then consider asking me for a second opinion to see if there is a easier, simpler way of solving your spine problem with a faster recovery and less discomfort.

Education Spine Surgery Fellowship: Indiana Spine Group, Indianapolis, IN. 2/2004-7/2004 Spine Surgery, PSC, Louisville, KY 8/2003-1/2004 Residency: Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN. Orthopedic Surgery, 7/1998-8/2004 Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN. 9/1993-6/1998 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society B.A. University of Minnesota, Physiology, 7/1987-6/1992 Experience • Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Minnesota Spine Institute, 1/2017 to present • Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Midwest Spine and Brain Institute, 6/1/2010 to 12/31/2016 • Medical Director and CEO: Maple Grove Center for Restorative Surgery, 2013 to present • Chief of Orthopedics, Unity Hospital, 2011 to 2012 • St. Croix Orthopaedics: Executive Committee 2007 to 2010 • Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: St. Croix Orthopaedics, 8/2004 to 3/2010 Licensing Minnesota: March 2004 to present Wisconsin: December 2005 to present Kentucky: March 2003 Indiana: July 1998 Awards 2017 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery-publication date June/July 2017 2016 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery 2015 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery 8/2014 Minnesota Monthly Top Doctor Award 2014 2008 Emmy for Internet Broadcast: Live Lumbar Microdiskectomy Medical School: Honors: Alpha Omega Alpha 1997 Minnesota Medical Foundation Research Grant: "Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer for Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A Cadaveric and Clinical Study Outstanding Physiology Paper: Medical School Medical School: Partial Scholarship Publications • Unstable thoracolumbar burst fractures: anterior-only versus short-segment posterior fixation. • Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer For Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A cadaveric and clinical study. • Intrinsic Balancing in Reconstruction of the Tetraplegic Hand. Teaching Experience • Gross Anatomy Teaching Assistant, Medical School • Numerous medical students, physician assistants and residents. Professional Development Courses • Spine Endoscopy: Joimax • Spine Endoscopy: Wolf • Cervical Disk Replacement: Mobi-c, Medtronic, Synthes • Lumbar Disk Replacement: Charite, Synthes • XLIF • CSRS Affiliations/Memberships • Recertification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery 4/2016 • North American Spine Society 2008 • Norwegian American Orthopedic Society • International Spine Intervention Society 2006-2007 • Board Certification: Orthopedic Surgery 2006 Interests Hiking, Camping, Travel, Biking, Catamaran Sailing, Endoscopic Spine Surgery Recent Seminars/Presentations 9/7/2016 Willmar Affiliated Community Medical Centers Presentation: Cervical Arthroplasty 5/26/2016 CDI/Chiropractor Lunch and Learn Meeting: "Advances in Cervical Motion Preservation vs Cervical Fusion" Winter 2015/16 Dorothy Day Shoes for Homeless Volunteer: Foot exam/Toe Trimming/Foot Ulcer and Wart Debridement 5/12/2015 Fairview Princeton Medical Staff Bi-annual meeting presentation: "Advances in Cervical Motion Preservation vs Cervical Fusion" 4/2015 Maple Grove Magazine article, "How I Got My Life Back" 9/9/2014 Princeton Chiropractor Presentation: Spine Surgery Basics 4/2014 Recertification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery 3/26/2012 Fairview Princeton Medical Provider Quarterly Staff Meeting Joint Presentation: Interventional Pain Management for Spine Patients 8/2012 September Sun article: What you need to know about back and neck pain from Dr. Daniel Hanson 6/8/2012 Fairview Lakes Pre and Post-op Tutorial on perioperative spine patient care 4/6/2012 Stillwater Medical Group Lunch and Learn, "Lumbar and Cervical Radiculopathy 9/2011 Healthcare News Article: Treating Spine Related Pain 9/11/2010 Blaine Wellness Day. Co-presenter, "Get Back your Active Life"

Dr. Hanson's Experience

See how Dr. Hanson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Hanson

Dr. Hanson accepts 19 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 9 hospitals where Dr. Hanson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Hanson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hanson to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Hanson's Performance
in Coon Rapids, MN |
I will be having my spine surgery in a week. I started seeing him at Midwest spine and he left to start his own. I was so impressed with everything leading up to this I followed him to Minnesota spine institute.. From what I understand, he is starting his own practice under this name. He cares, takes his time with you, and money is not his primary concern. I would gladly reccomend him to anyone. Find him at Minnesota spine institute.
Thanks Dave. I think you've summed up my approach to taking care of people. What it is about is trying to provide patients with a "closer" experience with their surgeon and to provide great care.
in ROGERS MN. |
DR.HANSON HAS BEEN THE BEST DR. I HAVE SEEN . HE LISTENS, HE CARES , YOUR JUST NOT A CASE NUMBER FOR HIM & HE NEVER WHO YOU ARE. I'VE HAD 2 NECK FUSIONS WITH DR. HANSON. HES SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR SITUATION BUT HES FUNNY TO.
Thanks Darla!!
in Isanti, Minnesota |
He is a Great Dr, and I would recommend him to anyone...He tells it like it is, he cares about you not the money....He did an anterior/posterior fusion almost 4 years ago...and now I wanted him to look at my neck...but he isn't at Midwest Spine Institute anymore...and they won't tell me where he is...or they say they don't know that information...I do not trust anybody else with my spine...
Gayle, thanks for the review. Sorry that I didn't tell you I was leaving my prior practice. Take care and I hope this message reaches you. You can find me through my website: www.minnesotaspineinstitute.com or by calling 612-670-4971
in Plymouth, MN |
I visited another spine surgeon, who told me I had to have surgery, but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion. I didn't really care for the first surgeon because I hit my "time limit" with him, so I got a 2nd opinion from Dr. Hanson who was recommended to me by a co-worker. I could tell the difference immediately. He answered ALL of my questions, which I had a lot of. He even called me back answering questions for another 30 min. He cared about my well-being as a person...not just a patient.
I have a problem with spending only a couple of minutes with a patient. I think that it's important for you to know what your options are and that you understand what your diagnosis is and why I recommend treating it the way I do. That takes time and thats one of the things I'm good at giving patients.
in Lino Lakes, MN |
I have had a positive experience with Dr Hanson and his care team. When I had my back issues, Dr Hanson explained my issues, drew diagrams, wrote things down and showed me on my MRI. Dr Hanson presented me with options, told me what I could expect from each option and gave me time to decide. I tried some more conservative treatments at first but eventually had surgery ~ it was a success! I feel so much better and my only regret is that I waited so long. Thank you to Dr Hanson and his team.
in Minneapolis, MN |
FULLY EXPLAINED THE PROCEDURES, ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS AND BOTH SURGERIES WERE SUCCESSFUL
Minneapolis, MN |
Dr Hanson is a unique in his patient approach in that he speaks with you, not at you. He thoroughly listens to the symptoms and provides alternative solutions to help guide you to an educated decision on the course of treatment that bests addresses the cause of pain, rather than just treating the pain.
in Bemidji, MN |
I have had three lower back surgeries with Dr. Hanson. My issues were being caused due to a motorcycle accident over 35 years ago. I received two fusions and one surgery to remove bone spurs on my spine. I am 100% happy with my improvement!!! The surgery itself went very well...Dr. Hanson was very informative so about what would be happening to me. My pre surgery visits and my post surgery visits were always positive. Dr. Hanson is very encouraging at all points along the way.
in BROOKLYN PARK, MN |
RECENTLY,I WAS GOING THROUGH A VERY BAD TIME IN LIFE WITH A BAD BACK THAT REQUIRED SURGERY,A FREIND HAD NEEDED BASICALLY THE SAME AND SAID TO GO TO MIDWEST SPINE AND BRAIN AND THAT IS WHAT I DID,BEST THING I EVER DID,DOCTOR DANIEL W. HANSON TREATED ME FROM THE GETGO AND THE REST IS HISTORY,HE CHANGED MY LIFESTYLE AND MADE ME FEEL 30 YEARS YOUNGER,NO PAIN AND I CAN DO THINGS I REALLY THOUGHT WERE LONG GONE,DOCTOR HANSON,YOU CAME THROUGH WITH FLYING COLORS,THE ENTIRE REYNOLDS FAMILY THANKS YOU
in Minneapolis, MN |
Dr. Hanson was very thorough in explaining what needed to be done to correct my lumbar spinal stenosis and bone spurs. Once the severity of the problem was clear from the MRI, he rearranged his schedule to get me into surgery as quickly as possible. I am now two weeks out from surgery and the recovery is going very well. I would highly recommend Dr. Hanson to anyone who has back problems that may need surgery.
in Blaine, MN |
From start to finish Dr Hanson was excellent. I had a very positive experience with him and his staff. I felt I had a very complex problem and he helped me understand my problem by drawing me pictures and reviewing my MRI with me. I've seen other surgeons for my problem and they didn't give me the confidence and great bedside manner that Dr Hanson did. His surgical skills pulled me through and I have had a wonderful outcome. I'm so thankful for Dr Hanson. He personally called me after surgery.
in Mn |
Very personable and confident but also very hard to contact when there are concerns. He is out of the office or in surgery. I am sure he is, but many of us have to contact people outside of our scheduled day. It speaks to probable arrogance and a sense of superiority. My mom has had complications from surgery with him and he has not been very communicative post surgery. Wonderful before though. Posting this because it's been a month since last CT scan and has not called back. You decide.
I am sorry that you had difficulty with getting connected with me after surgery. That has been a problem with our call center. I finally got frustrated and now have every call, concern, or need for coordination go through one person, my scheduler. Also, it is difficult for me know if your ct scan or mri has been done and is available to review and then contact you with the results unless you contact my scheduler. I hope that making these changes results in better patient care.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Hanson, MD?

Compare Dr. Hanson

Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society

B.A. University of Minnesota, Physiology, 7/1987-6/1992

•   Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Minnesota Spine Institute,

1/2017 to present

•   Orthopedic Spine Surgeon: Midwest Spine and Brain Institute, 6/1/2010 to 12/31/2016

•   Medical Director and CEO: Maple Grove Center for Restorative Surgery,  2013 to present

•   Chief of Orthopedics, Unity Hospital,

2015 Mpls/St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor Award" Orthopedic Surgery

8/2014 Minnesota Monthly Top Doctor Award 2014

2008 Emmy for Internet Broadcast: Live Lumbar Microdiskectomy

Medical School: Honors: Alpha Omega Alpha 1997

Minnesota Medical Foundation Research Grant: "Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer for    Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A Cadaveric and Clinical Study

Outstanding Physiology Paper: Medical School

Medical School: Partial Scholarship

Publications

•   Unstable thoracolumbar burst fractures: anterior-only versus short-segment posterior fixation.

•  Split Flexor Pollicus Longus Tendon Transfer For Stabilization of Thumb Interphalangeal Joint: A cadaveric and clinical study.

•  Intrinsic Balancing in Reconstruction of the Tetraplegic Hand.

Teaching Experience

•   Gross Anatomy Teaching Assistant, Medical School

•   Numerous medical students, physician assistants and residents.

Professional Development Courses

•   Board Certification: Orthopedic Surgery 2006

Interests

• Hiking, Camping, Travel, Biking, Catamaran Sailing, Endoscopic Spine Surgery

Recent Seminars/Presentations

4/2015 Maple Grove Magazine article, "How I Got My Life Back"

9/9/2014 Princeton Chiropractor Presentation: Spine Surgery Basics

4/2014 Recertification: American Board of Orthopedic Surgery

9/2011 Healthcare News Article: Treating Spine Related Pain

9/11/2010 Blaine Wellness Day.  Co-presenter, "Get Back your Active Life"

Dr. Hanson's Care Philosophy

Dr. Hanson says...

Cervical and lumbar disk herniations and stenosis.  Also spinal instability.  I try to avoid fusions and recommend cervical disk replacements and endoscopic spine surgery when appropriate.

Dr. Hanson says...

Cervical arthroplasty, endoscopic spine surgery, microdiskectomy, minimally invasive spine surgery.  Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar fusions when appropriate.

Dr. Hanson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Minnesota not available

Dr. Hanson has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Minnesota.

Why It Matters: Dr. Hanson's Board Certifications

• Broken Neck
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture

Spine Surg PSC

Completed in 2004

University Of Mn

Graduated in 1987

Dr. Hanson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hanson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation