Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD

Adult Psychiatry ·  Male · Age 70

Dr. Giacomo

"Just want to follow up 8 months later. My spouse was hospitalized and subsequently treated by another psychiatrist who got the diagnosis and medication correct. So is doing great, no thanks to Dr. Giacomo. He should retire or try another profession."

Read Review

"This is my second review of Dr. Giacomo. He is terrible. He kept me on Cymbalta when I was bipolar. Ten months after I was hospitalized, I have a new doctor and I am doing well on lithium . Dr. Giacomo needs to stop misdiagnosing patients. Perhaps it is time for him to retire."

Read Review

Dr. Giacomo?
Dr. Giacomo's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
Dr. Giacomo was a lifesaver for me. After 40+ years of debilitating insomnia resulting from depression, Dr. Giacomo prescribed a new antidepressant along with another medication, in the smallest dose available, and within a few months I got my life back. He correctly diagnosed my problem, indicating that the antidepressant previously prescribed by another psychiatrist, was probably worsening the insomnia rather than helping. I am forever grateful to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
This man should not be a psychiatrist. He does not return phone calls, lies about it and when finally tracked down about a serious medical problem was rude and hung up on a patient representative. He prescribed medication that caused a manic episode in a bipolar patient. If I could give less than one star I would.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
I was completely misdiagnosed by Dr. Giacomo with ADD. I was even worse than when I first saw him with the med cocktail he prescribed me. Come to find out after seeing another Dr. I was just severly depressed. I would not recommend Dr. Giacomo as he does not take the time to even discuss symptoms etc. Each time I went to his office I timed it. I literally would be there for 10 seconds so he upped or lowered my meds, wrote me a script and sent me on my way. He needs to retire asap.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
Terrible. Just terrible. He suggest medication for me without the proper diagnosis. His nurse is the worst, good luck on getting refills because she will give you the run around. They like to see you once every couple of months, even if you’ve been on the medication for 3+years at the same dosage. It’s not worth it.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
I just wanted to update a review I left in July, where I gave Dr. Giacomo one star. I have proceeded to file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Professional Services, which is currently pending. So please be aware, if you see this doctor, keep this in mind.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
My mom was given an appointment with Dr. Giacomo. I read the terrible reviews in here and was ready to cancel. I am glad we did not. Dr. Giacomo did not greet us or smiled when he walked us in from the reception area. However, once at his office, we was kind, compassionate, professional, thoughtful, listened carefully and considered our opinions for future treatment. Most remarkable was that he referred us to follow up with a sub-specialist for better treatment. Until then he offered his help.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
I am disappointed in the care that received. I do not trust this guy -- he always seems bored. He often waits for me to suggest a medication to try. He usually spends 5 minutes with you.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
Very very bad doctor. Careless and not thorough. See others.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
I'll make this short and brief! All I have to say is, HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! I waited 4 months to see him and I was 3 minutes late to our appointment and he turned me away! I had made another appointment to try to see him again and I never heard back from him or his staff as that was 3 months ago! Since then, I never heard back from him or his staff with a phone call to reschedule with him! WHAT A COMPLETE WAISTE OF TIME AND SO UNPROFESSIONAL! I WILL NEVER EVER RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE! NEVER AGAIN
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
No, he won't say hello to you or smile when he calls you into his office. BUT, he knows what he's doing with psych drugs. I have medication-resistant depression and anxiety, and he's managed to keep me going for the last ten years or so. He'll give you dosages that the insurance company may not like, and he'll combine drugs in unorthodox ways--and he won't make you wait weeks or months to see if they're working. He's not going to hold your hand but he'll answer any medical questions you have.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
If I treated my anxiety with street drugs, I'm pretty sure I'd have a better, closer, more positive relationship and experience with my dealer. Giacomo is the best depressing depression doctor in the universe. He does not smile. He could make a clown frown in 30 seconds. Speaking of short periods of time....my last appointment with him lasted 1 min and 45 seconds. I kid you not. I hadn't seen him in 6 months, and he can't provide prescription refills unless you have an office visit.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?
Dr. Giacomo listed to my experiences more than I feel my past doctors had. He wasn't dismissive of the things I was suffering through.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Giacomo?

Dr. Daniel Giacomo, MD is an adult psychiatry specialist in Evanston, IL and has been practicing for 34 years. He graduated from Universidad Nacional De Rosario, Facultad De Ciencias Medicas in 1979 and specializes in adult psychiatry and psychiatry.

• Adult Psychiatry

1992
1985
1979

Dr. Giacomo accepts

Dr. Giacomo accepts the following insurance:

Assurant Health
Coventry Health Care
Medicare Advantage PFFS
EmblemHealth
Emblem Health
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
National Elevator
Tricare
TriCare for Life
Wisconsin Physicians Service

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Check Dr. Giacomo's experience treating your condition or procedure

Anxiety

Dr. Giacomo treats Anxiety more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Giacomo treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence

Dr. Giacomo treats Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence more than 96% of his peers

Dr. Giacomo treats this condition more than 96% of his peers

Dr. Giacomo's conditions and procedures:

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Autism
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Confusion
  • Conversion Disorder
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Developmental and Learning Disorders
  • Diagnostic Evaluation
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Outpatient Psychiatry
  • Panic Disorder
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychopharmacologic Treatment
  • Psychosis
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Giacomo treats patients.

Evanston Hospital