Dr. Daniel Farrugia, MD

Dr. Daniel Farrugia, MD

Breast Surgery  |
Dr. Daniel Farrugia, MD is a breast surgery doctor who practices in Crystal Lake, IL. He is 43 years old and has been practicing for 20 years. Read his story

360 N Terra Cotta Rd Ste C

Crystal Lake, IL 60012

Learn about Dr. Farrugia

Dr. Farrugia's Experience

Dr. Farrugia's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Breast Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery

Dr. Farrugia's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Farrugia "I have always been fascinated with breast cancer, at first because I was struck by its high mortality in Southern Europe, where I was born. After finishing medical school, I realized that with the recent advances in genetics, our fight against cancer was soon going to be shaped by these new genetic insights. This led me to come to the United States and pursue a Ph.D. in breast cancer at Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota where I worked with the co-discoverer of the BRCA1 breast cancer gene, Dr. Fergus Couch. During this time, I obtained research grant funding from the U.S. Department of Defense which put my research on a national scale. I then completed a General Surgery Residency where I was trained in the full breadth of open and laparoscopic surgery. I was drawn to cancer surgery since it necessitates a strong personal connection with the patient that is long term. Breast surgery, in particular, is a specialty that requires significant compassion for the sick patient, especially since women fear breast cancer more than any other disease, and the associated stress can severely impact quality of life. Breast Surgery also necessitates several skills, including using state of the art technology for accurate diagnosis and treatment, and performing the right operation with a strive for excellent cosmetic result. In effect, it is as much a science as it is an art. Subsequently, I completed subspecialty fellowship training in Breast Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, one of the leading breast cancer programs in the country, and home to the NSABP trials that shaped modern breast cancer care. I was trained in the newest techniques of breast cancer surgery and in the multidisciplinary aspects that constitute modern breast cancer care. At UPMC, I had the opportunity to perform further research in breast cancer. In fact, this research led to a Conquer Cancer Merit Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology at their annual congress in Chicago. A fellowship in breast surgery constitutes additional training for a general surgeon following a five-year surgical residency. It includes extensive training in the surgical treatment of both breast cancer and benign breast disease, obtaining the skills to perform the newest breast surgery techniques. The aim of modern breast surgery is not just to take out the cancer safely, but also to do so accurately, and to obtain the best cosmetic result achievable. During breast surgery fellowship, the surgeon also gets significant exposure to the other specialties that work together to take care of the woman with breast cancer, such as radiology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, breast pathology, genetic counselling and survivorship. Besides arming you with the knowledge and skills to provide cutting-edge breast cancer care, the fellowship's goal is to emerge as a breast surgeon who is a leader in the field and positioned to lead breast programs locally or nationally. Perhaps the most rewarding aspect of my work is to see a patient come in for their first visit certain they are going to die from breast cancer, and seeing their perspective change over the course of our interaction, realizing that breast cancer is in most cases curable and no longer a mutilating disease. It is very heartening to see a patient not just become disease free, but see them become empowered with a strong motivation to live life to the fullest."

This content was provided by Dr. Farrugia "No matter how routine a problem may seem to a trained surgeon, it is life changing for the patient out of fear of the diagnosis and how it is going to change their life. My goal is to champion the humanity behind the disease through empathy and understanding, recognizing the inner fight in every patient against the physical and psychological stresses that disease brings. Besides delivering state of the art surgical care, I strive to provide each patient with some sense of peace, lessen their fear and diminish their suffering. To accomplish this, I place great priority on my availability to provide unhurried consultation, reassurance, and emotional support. My overarching philosophy is to treat every patient as if I was treating my own family and return each patient to a life they love living – nobody deserves less than that."

• Breast Surgery

• Nipple Reconstruction
  • Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy
  • Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy
  • Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• University Of Malta / Medical School
  • Hospitals Of The University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • Mayo Clinic Graduate School Of Medicine
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Farrugia has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Farrugia does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Farrugia and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Farrugia's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Farrugia to family and friends
Dr. Farrugia's Performance
in Huntley, Il. |
I would like to recommend Dr. Daniel GFarrugia as a reputable breast surgeon. From the first day I met him, he explained step by step all the procedures he was going to perform. His staff was so pleasant and helpful. He made numerous phone calls to me at the times I needed them. If the need arises again I certainly will contact him.
in Huntley, IL |
I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Farrugia. He takes his time to explain things thoroughly, he is willing to take the time to answer questions, and is compassionate.
Doctor Farrugia is a very professional, knowledgeable, compassionate doctor. During my first appointment, I was so impressed how detailed my appointment was. He explained my condition with so much detail, and made me feel he had all the time in world to answer all my questions and explain to me care plan. Coming from a family history with no cancer at all, I had so many questions for him. He answered every one of them. He always has been very compassionate, encouraging, and caring.
Barrington, IL |
Dr Daniel Farrugia is highly trained and skilled in his surgery techniques, and also so personable. He is fairly new to Centegra but is already very highly regarded. He did a lot of research in breast cancer at Mayo Clinic and University of Pittsburgh and won many awards for this. He answered all of my and my husband's questions and was very available by phone when I needed him. I cannot say enough good things about him.
in Huntley, IL |
My interaction with Dr. Farrugia was a truly uplifting experience especially given the difficult time I was having trying to cope with my new diagnosis. He put me at ease, took a long time explaining the diagnosis, discussing the surgery and ancillary management, and answering my many questions. I walked out of his clinic at the end of the visit knowing I was going to beat this disease and relieved I was in good hands.
Have you seen Dr. Daniel Farrugia, MD?
Are you Dr. Farrugia?