Dr. Craig Berger, MD

Dr. Craig Berger, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

The Bay Area Eye Institute understands that there are many ophthalmologists and optometrists in the Tampa bay area to choose from. Dr. Berger s practice focuses on patient satisfaction. The philosophy is to put the patient first, provide physical and emotional comfort, and strive for the highest care possible. Your time and comfort are paramount. Dr. Berger feels that patient education is an important aspect of your treatment and will take the time to explain your ocular condition.

Dr. Craig Berger, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Tampa, FL. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Berger is affiliated with Tampa General Hospital.

Dr. Berger's Experience

See how Dr. Berger's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Berger

Dr. Berger accepts 25 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Berger has admitting privileges.

Dr. Berger's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Berger to family and friends
    3.7
    Dr. Berger's Performance
    in The Villages, FL |
    For over three years I was looking for an eye surgeon who not only was knowledgeable and skilled at cornea transplants, cataract surgeries and Fuch’s Dystrophy but also compassionate to his / her patients. Dr. Craig Berger is all of the above. I have spoken to many of his patients while I was waiting to be seen by Dr. Berger and everyone had the same respect and feelings for Dr. Berger that I have. His staff treats you with respect and is friendly. Excellent surgeon and staff.
    in Tampa, FL |
    Last September after a visit to the optician I had a recommendation to go to an ophthalmologist and Dr. Berger was specifically recommended. The question was why did my vision in my left eye deteriorate so rapidly over the course of a year. Dr. Berger explained that I had a cataract in my left eye and that it should be removed. His explanation and professionalism made me very comfortable having him perform the surgery. The surgery was performed a month later with no complications. Presurgery Dr.
    St Petersburg, FL |
    Dr Berger was very knowledgeable of my particular eye disease & cornea cross/linking. Definitely more economical as far as cost of surgery/procedure & the staff is very friendly & accommodating.
    in Tampa, FL |
    My wife and I are both patients of Dr. Berger. We have always found him to be a caring, excellent professional. I have recently had cataract surgery and the results have been outstanding. I recommend Dr. Berger without reservation.
    St Petersburg, FL |
    I was referred to Dr. Berger for a second opinion by my ophthalmologist. I waited over 45 minutes to be seen, spent more time with the tech than I did the doctor! He didn't make eye contact once, said I had something I could not understand, to use warm compresses and eye drops and see him in a week. He was out the door and on to the next patient before I could ask a question. I feel like it was a complete waste of both my time (I had a 45 minute drive each way to see him!) as well as my money
    Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. We've been exceptionally busy this season. Please accept my apology for not taking the time to fully explain your condition and recommended treatment. Please contact me by phone or personal email craigbergermd@hotmail.com so we can arrange for a telephone conference (no charge) to review your diagnosis and treatment recommendations. I would like to dedicate as much time as necessary to help you with your condition.
    in Tampa, FL |
    As I had, prior to my intra-ocular lens replacement, a couple of complicating visual factors, Dr. Berger applied several repeat Snellen acuity tests on different days, prior to his calculating the best corrective power of the new lens. I appreciate this, as it helped to ensure that the most appropriate lens would be used. The surgical procedure was quick, painless and exactly as he had described that it would be. Very good care, before and after the procedure. Well-recommended.
    Tampa, FL |
    Dr. Berger was recommended to me by another ophthalmologist as being the best corneal transplant surgeon around. My experience has been great. Staff is fantastic. 6 surgeries were all well coordinated and he even came to surgery center near me, even though I live almost 20 miles away. Always takes time to answer any questions. I highly recommend him.
    in Land O Lakes, FL |
    Excellent excellent doctor. Awesome staff. I have never waited over 15 minutes before I was called back to one of the rooms for treatment. Both eyes had cataracts. 20/20 vision today thanks to Dr Berger. Eye problems?? Do yourself a favor and give Dr Berger a call. You can't go wrong!!!
    Tampa, FL |
    While I am certain he is a qualified and knowledgeable physician, I found him to be rather disinterested and aloof as i tried to explain symptoms that my elderly mom has been having with her eyes. When my mom introduced me to him as we walked into the exam room, he did not so much as acknowledge i was there...no handshake, no eye contact. The office is not conveniently located to us, and based on my experience with her at this appointment, we will be looking for another ophthalmologist.
    Thank you for your feedback. I hope you accept my apology for not acknowledging your presence appropriately and appearing disinterested.That was certainly not my intent. I wish you and your mother only the best during this holiday season.
    in Zephyrhills, FL 33542 |
    This doctor is very thorough and made me feel comfortable. This was important because I came to him after a horrible experience with another eye doctor. Dr, Berger not only corrected the mess that was done but also explained what was going on. Wish I had gone to him first!!
    Laser cataract surgery 20/20 vision in both eyes..... I'm doing the happy dance
    in Tampa, FL |
    Have been a long time patient, having two corneal transplants. Dr. Berger is patient, has excellent bedside manner. Appointments readily available when having an acute problem. Can even e-mail him your concerns and he answers within short period of time.
    in Inglis, FL |
    Dr. Berger did my cornea transplant and I found him and his staff to be extremely good in their care of me before during and after.
    in Tampa, FL |
    Dr. Berger is both an outstanding ophthalmologist and a friendly, personable, and caring man. His office staff is also uniformly friendly and professional. At a time when many medical practices are characterized by high-volume output and impersonality, it is refreshing to find a medical practice such as that of Dr. Berger, who adheres to the highest standards of medicine and individualized patient care.
    Lutz, FL |
    Dr. Berger is a knowledgeable doctor and is willing to take the time to explain the various complex functions of the eyes. He and his staff are very friendly and helpful. After three months of infections and seeing two other doctors, he was able to clear my condition and assured me that my condition would get better and it did. I am very happy with Dr. Berger's treatment and would recommend him. His staff is friendly and very accommodating with scheduling appointments. My initial appointment was
    in Tampa, Fl |
    Office staff is efficient and professional. My experience with Dr. Berger was fabulous. He is very caring and compationate.
    in Tampa, FL |
    I went to Dr. Berger to be seen for a corneal abrasion that ended up being an ulcer. Although he seemed knowledgeable and competent, he lacked any and all compassion as he painfully took cultures of my eye. He placed numbing drops that did NOT work. Although this was a painful experience, it would have been made that much better if Dr. Berger showed a little compassion for me as I cried in pain.
    Infected and inflamed eyes are often difficult to fully anesthetize with eye drops. You may remember that I paused the procedure to give you a rest then applied more anesthetic before resuming the culture 5-10 minutes later. My apologies if I did not seem compassionate but we added you on last minute to a very busy Friday afternoon clinic and it was a very hectic day.
    in Weskey Chapel, FL |
    I went to see Dr. Berger for another issue and new I had cataracts but was told by my optician that they were too small for surgery. Thank God for Dr. Berger. He told me I could have my cataract surgery done, and I have the new Trulin lenses. All the care I have received from his staff from Dr. Berger and the surgical center has been great. I am one week post operative on my one eye seeing 20/20 the day after surgery. In five more days I will have the other eye done. What a great doctor
    in Clearwater, FL |
    Dr. Berger did my cataract surgery and it was a great success! I no longer need glasses and am thrilled with the results. His kind, professional demeanor and friendly staff was also greatly appreciated. I would recommend him without reservation!
    in Lutz, FL |
    Dr. Berger and staff are very courteous and the wait time was minimal. Before my procedure I had cataracts and wore glasses/contacts. After having the lenses in my eyes replaced, I have 20/20 vision. The recovery time was very short and I'd do it again if I had to. If you're having eye issues, I recommend giving Dr. Berger's office a call and making an appointment.
    Have you seen Dr. Craig Berger, MD?

Dr. Berger's Care Philosophy

Dr. Berger's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
    •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

• Surgical Teaching Award, 2008
      • Nominated to Best Doctors in America List, 2007
      • Surgical Teaching Award, 2008

Dr. Berger has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Berger's Board Certifications

• Corneal Diseases
    • Corneal Erosion
    • Corneal Scar
    • Corneal Ulcer
    • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
    • Diabetic Retinopathy
    • Diplopia
    • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
    • Drusen

Tulane University Hospital

Completed in 2000

University of Florida

Graduated in 1991

Dr. Berger does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Berger and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology

• Cataract Removal Surgery
    • Collagen Injection
    • Cornea Surgery
    • Cornea Transplant
    • Descemet's Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK)
    • Excision of Chalazion
    • Pterygium Surgery
    • Relaxing Incisions, Corneal
    • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
    • Restylane® Injections
    • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
    • Vitreoretinal Surgery