Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Harlan is Kansas City's most experienced orthopedic surgeon treating hip disorders of the young active athlete, weekend warrior, and individuals with activity-related groin pain. Dr Harlan has performed more that 1000 advanced arthroscopic procedures of the hip, including the arthroscopic correction of cam and pincer lesions of femoro-acetabular impingement, repair of labrum tears of the hip, repair of tears of the gluteus medius, and hip instability. Dr Harlan also treats conditions of the shoulder and knee including arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff tears, injuries to the meniscus, and ACL reconstruction. Dr. Harlan has received training from several internationally known and respected orthopedic arthroscopic hip surgeons, including Dr. J. W. Thomas Byrd of the renowned Nashville Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center. Dr Harlan is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and holds a sub-specialty certificate if Sports Medicine. He is also an Active member of the Arthroscopic Association of North America.

Kansas City Center for Hip Preservation & Sports Medicine

5901 NW 63rd Ter Ste 120

Kansas City, MO 64151

• American Enterprise Group
  • Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Harlan

Dr. Harlan's Experience

Dr. Harlan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Knee Arthroscopy
  • Knee Ligament Reconstruction
  • Knee Replacement
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Missouri.

• University Of Nebraska
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1994
  • University Of Nebraska / College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • University Of Missouri-Kansas City
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2001
  • University Of Missouri-Kansas City
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Harlan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Harlan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Harlan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Harlan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Harlan to family and friends
Dr. Harlan's Performance
Kansas City, MO |
Awesome surgeon. Dr. Harlan completely fixed my problem. He explained the procedure before and after surgery, and he answered all of my questions. (This was my first surgery ever, so I had lots of questions!) Highly recommend.
Lees Summit, MO |
Dr. Harlan did my FAI surgery and fixed a labral Oct 2013. He was so caring and throughro. Would never see anyone else for this type of surgery. Can not praise enough.
in Lees Summit, MO |
Born with Cerebral Palsy and after a lifetime of braces and operations in trying to help me walk with my feet in the natural position. Each operation seemed to be short lived. I was told of the work of Dr. Cody Harlan, MD. I then Met with him, he said, "I maybe able to help!" Those words were like music to my ears. I then confirmed a date for surgery and within 72 hours I noticed improvement in my feet. After 57 years, I can now walk with my head held high! Thanks Dr. Cody Harlan, MD. God bless!
Independence, MO |
Dr. Harlan changed my life, after seeing no less than 5 other orthopedic surgeons who offered no solutions other than prescriptions, Dr. Harlan diagnosed my issue on my first visit. I have now had operations on both hips, and am back to walking, and enjoying life without a cane/walker and most importantly, without pain. The new office and set up is so much better than his previous affiliation.
Kansas City, MO |
Dr. Harlan performed my hip arthroscopy in September 2016. He repaired my labrum tear and FAI impingement. The doc explained everything and showed videos and photos of my femur. Although the surgery did not seem all that non-invasive to me, three months post op, I was able to do elliptical with resistance and walking with no hip pain. I do have to point out that the admin staff miscommunicated the time of the surgery to me, forgot to fit me for a leg brace, and missed scheduling one appointment.
Olathe, KS |
He's amazing and a life style saver. I wish every ortho cared like him.
in Rayville, Mo. |
We have struggled for over three years with our now 16 year old daughter and her chronic knee pain. We tried every specialist and procedure you can imagine. We refused to accept, "sometimes there's just unexplained pain, suck it up!" She lost 3 years of her high school activities due to this pain. Within 5 mins.of examining her, Dr. Harlan said surgery, not knee, hip! He said upfront, could be in both hips. She did have both hips done and is now pain free. AMAZING CARING DR. AND STAFF! THE BEST!
in Independence, MO |
Incredible surgeon! He treated my lovely wife who had been told by three other specialist that a hip replacement was her only option. He did a procedure orthoscopically in three hours that completely changed her life. 6 months later he did the same for my wife's mother! He is a godsend to our family and we will take our bones to no one else!
in Kansas City, MO |
Dr Harlan preformed three procedures on me over last three years. Two complete knee replacements. He also rebuilt my left shoulder. He did an excellent job every time, he is very thoughtful and takes the time to explain details of each procedure. He is very busy because he is extremely good! I have had seven orthopedic surgeries done by four different doctors. Nothing against the other three, Dr Harlan was the best by far of all of them.
in Columbus, NE |
I saw Dr. Harlan 8 years ago in Columbus NE. And he worked on my left knee. There are no words to express how I feel about his work except to say, I wish he would come back to Columbus. Out of 5 stars I'll have to give him 7 ??
in Blue Springs, MO |
As an Above knee Amputee with an AFI hip impingement, my case was very unique. While two other surgeons recommended hip replacement, Dr. Harlan wanted to do everything that he could to repair the damage that was there without even mentioning Hip Replacement. Since the procedure was not a very common one, Dr. Harlan explained it to my wife and I in great detail. He would answer any and all questions that either one of us had for him. Dr. Harlan is outstanding and I would not hesitate using him.
in Lees summit, mo |
He gave me my running life back. He is truly the hip whisperer. If you are having hip problems and can't find the reason, Dr. Harlan is your guy
in Kansas City, MO |
he gave me a shot in the groin which made my pain 100% worse and then had no sympathy or suggestions to help me feel better... I was not in much pain when I went in and then he failed to even agree on a diagnosis i had gotten previously on my hip and could not even see it on xray. i do not feel confident that he is a caring physician.
KS |
FAI surgery- Expected CAM/Pincer/ labral tear; however Dr H only removed CAM during surgery and stated after that labrum was healthy. After several months of pain greater than pre op, steroid injection and much persistence, he ordered MRI. He said it was normal, labrum was fine. Others said it clearly was not. Needed revision surgery w/new surgeon-removed CAM, pincer, labral repair and had to reconstruct destroyed hip capsule. Surgeon showed in Harlan's surgery pics labrum was torn, not healthy.
in Kansas City, MO |
I had to wait a long time and the office seemed short staffed BUT usually when you have to wait a long time it is because the doctor spends quality time with the patient. I appreciate that Dr. Harlan didn't suggest surgery but suggested alternate ways to relieve my knee pain.
Have you seen Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Are you Dr. Harlan?

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
    Preferred Care Blue PPO
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medico