Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  ·

Dr. Cody Harlan, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Kansas City, MO and has been practicing for 12 years. He specializes in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine.Read his story

Kansas City Center for Hip Preservation & Sports Medicine

5901 NW 63rd Ter Ste 120

Kansas City, MO 64151

• American Enterprise Group
  • Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Harlan

See how frequently Dr. Harlan performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hip Arthroscopy
Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis)
Knee Replacement

Dr. Harlan's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Harlan's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Harlan "Dr. Harlan is Kansas City's most experienced orthopedic surgeon treating hip disorders of the young active athlete, weekend warrior, and individuals with activity-related groin pain. Dr Harlan has performed more that 1600 advanced arthroscopic procedures of the hip, including the arthroscopic correction of cam and pincer lesions of femoro-acetabular impingement, repair of labrum tears of the hip, repair of tears of the gluteus medius, and hip instability. Dr Harlan also treats conditions of the shoulder and knee including arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff tears, injuries to the meniscus, and ACL reconstruction. Dr. Harlan has received training from several internationally known and respected orthopedic arthroscopic hip surgeons, including Dr. J. W. Thomas Byrd of the renowned Nashville Hip Institute. Dr Harlan is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and holds a sub-specialty certificate if Sports Medicine. He is also an Active member of the Arthroscopic Association of North America."

• Sports Medicine

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
    Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*
    Accredited by: American Board of Medical Specialties*

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injuries
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Hip Impingement
  • Meniscus Injuries
  • Rotator Cuff Tear
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Sjögren's Syndrome

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Missouri.

• University Of Nebraska
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1994
  • University Of Nebraska / College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • University Of Missouri-Kansas City
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2001
  • University Of Missouri-Kansas City
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Harlan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Harlan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Harlan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Harlan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Harlan to family and friends

Dr. Harlan's Performance

I can't recommend Dr. Harlan enough- He is an outstanding surgeon and his staff is excellent! My first surgery, to repair my torn hip labrum, by a surgeon in San Diego, did not go well. Dr. Harlan took a lot of time to answer all of my questions & explained why I was still having problems. He...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Dr Harlan is a great Physician! He did two surgeries on my 14 year old son. Both times he took the time to talk to me before and after. Always explained everything and very patient . It was nice to be around a Dr that cares !
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
I most likely would not recommend Dr. Harlan to any friends. He is a very friendly doctor, however, he gave me the wrong diagnosis for my shoulder and would not listen when I told him the diagnosis he gave completely contradicted my MRI. He spent 15 minutes with me, that includes somewhat of a...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option1

The correct diagnosis of any orthopedic condition relies on connecting the dots. The history, exam, imaging, and response to prior treatment are considered. If all of these do not lead to the same conclusion, then it is prudent to exhaust all conservative measures first. Our country is facing an opiate crisis. Opiate pain meds in my practice are judiciously prescribed. I do not prescribe opiates prior to surgery, period. If this is your goal, then I will always be a one star physician.

I have lived a vigorous life as a martial artist, police sniper and as a SWAT operator. I had a torn labrum in each hip. I had a corrective surgery by a doctor other than Dr. Harlan.that literally left me disabled. I was medically retired as a result of my duty-related injuries, one of which was my...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option0
Awesome surgeon. Dr. Harlan completely fixed my problem. He explained the procedure before and after surgery, and he answered all of my questions. (This was my first surgery ever, so I had lots of questions!) Highly recommend.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0