Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Dr. Cody Harlan, MD

Orthopedic Surgery •  Male • Age 48

Dr. Cody Harlan, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Kansas City, MO. He is affiliated with North Kansas City Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Harlan to book an appointment.

Kansas City Center for Hip Preservation & Sports Medicine

New Patient?
Kansas City Center for Hip Preservation and Sports Medicine5901 Nw 63rd Ter Ste 120 Kansas City, MO 64151

• Trustworthy Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at North Kansas City Hospital

Dr. Harlan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Harlan

4.5

Dr. Harlan?
After worsening outcomes with both hips after surgery and extensive ortho visits to try and correct my new post-op hip problems, I am feeling beyond disappointed and completely regretting my decision to have those operations. Things were pretty great for about a year after surgery, and then I have deteriorated very quickly since. I have exhausted every form of physical therapy, NSAIDs, steroid injections, etc. and now I am once again unable to walk at 20 years old. This has been ongoing since I was 16. When repeatedly visiting Harlan post-operatively for help, I was met with a "not my problem, I fixed you" kind of attitude. Please just seek multiple opinions prior to consenting to surgery. I am feeling defeated.
Aug 05, 2020
It would have been extremely helpful to have at...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Went to Dr Harlan after having extreme hip pain. He told me I had bilateral hip impingement and I underwent surgery on both hips (2016). After more than a year of physical therapy I was still experiencing immense pain in both legs. He told me that I just needed to let them heal and do more physical therapy. I decided to receive a second opinion. Second Dr told me I actually didn’t have hip impingement, rather hip dysplasia. Not wanting to believe I had surgery for something I don’t have, I went for a third opinion. Third Dr told me the same thing. Harlan misdiagnosed me and conducted surgery on both of my legs for something I don’t have. At this point my only option is total hip replacement. Definitely seek a second opinion before going through with any operations.
Rachel Mcmillan – Jul 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
After being diagnosed with a labral tear 5 years ago I was told by several orthopedic surgeons in the KC area that there was nothing they could do. I had excruciating pain for all of these years and I just couldn’t take it anymore so I decided to look into finding another orthopedic surgeon that would give me his opinion. After very thorough research I came across Dr. Cody Harlan and I decided to make an appointment to see what he suggested. Dr. Harlan, along with his amazing nurse, had the best bedside manner I’ve ever seen, and I am a nurse so I’ve seen my fair share. Dr. Harlan was extremely thorough and told me, after viewing my tests, that I had FAI, and that’s what caused my tear, and that he could do arthroscopic surgery to alleviate the pain I was having. Right now I am 2 weeks post op and having surgery was the best decision I’ve ever made. I have to have my right side done and will without hesitation. I will finally be able to run again pain free. Thanks Dr Harlan!
Michelle C – Jul 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I was the healthiest and most active I had ever been when one day I started puking & could not digest food. I lost 1/4 of my weight to nausea. My abdominal pain continued for 3 years. My instinct was that I needed surgery deep in my groin. My diagnosis was one of elimination: 1st: appendectomy. 2nd: Expert Excision of Endometriosis. 3rd: Hysterectomy and Rt. Ovary: No Relief. None. I felt hopeless. It was not until a Pelvic Floor PT discovered instability on my right side that any health professional said the word "HIP". My extensive care team had never looked at my bones. Dr. Harlan knew my problem and fixed my FAI and torn labrum confidently. For my complete relief!! I have had a hip impingement for the last 30 years & never knew the pains were abnormal. It was age 4-0 & exercise that pushed it to a crisis point. I've learned impingement masks itself as groin, abdominal, leg or buttocks pain. I hope sharing my story will save you a few surgeries...and organs!
Amber in Liberty, MO – Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Right hip arthroscopic surgery went well. So well in fact, that I scheduled left hip surgery for next month. Recovery was easier and less painful then the internet leads you to believe. I’m so glad the 4th surgeon I saw recommended I see Dr. Harlan. It took me 3-4 years to get this issue taken care of and I’m thankful I am now on the road to recovery. My family Dr now has a great hip surgeon to recommend to other patients needing the same care.
KS – Apr 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr. Harlan repaired both of my hips. He is confident and knows exactly how to help. He was able to diagnose me in one visit after I wasted a year trying to find answers. I am pain free and am able to run and exercise again. I am so grateful for answers and being able to live an active and healthy lifestyle with no hip pain. Highly recommend Dr. Harlan and love his staff.
Stacy S – Mar 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I have referred several family and friends to Dr Harlan! He is a great doctor!
Kearney – Feb 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr Cody Harlan is a true professional and very knowledgeable doctor! I’m a professional athlete and I tore my ACL during a game . I was doubtful that I would play again but with surgery going great and his advice I’m on the field stronger than ever! I highly recommend Dr Cody Harlan and his front office is amazing !
Feb 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I saw Dr. Harlan for hip pain that I have had for 10+ years. After seeing many doctors I was finally referred to him who was able to diagnose me almost immediately. My health insurance denied my surgery 2 times and Dr. Harlan took the time to call my insurance directly in order to get the surgery approved. I am now 3 weeks out from surgery and my pre-operative pain is completely gone. He is compassionate, caring, respectful, knowledgeable, and confident. I would highly recommend Dr. Harlan.
Lexi in KS – Nov 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr Harlan came referred to me from my pcp for an issue with my shoulder. Went in to see him where he confirmed torn rotator cuff. He promptly scheduled surgery where he found a slap tear in my bicep he fixed both at the same time. A year later we found out I was having issues with my knee I of course went back to Cody where we setup to have partial knee replacement. I now know my knees are getting worse and of course Cody will be the dr to do the work. I appreciate all the work he has done.
James Mcenroe – Jul 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr Cody Harlan a highly esteemed physician working in cutting edge technology. He performed (2) Biomet Vanguard knee replacement’s on me. He has not lost the importance of communication between physician and patient. To listen, comfort, diagnose and to listen again. X-rays and MRI’s are ordered prior to scheduling an appt. Place of surgery- Out Patient clinic,”Total Joint Center of the Northland, one on one care 6 beds. Post-op communication with head nurse 24/7 Thank U Dr.Harlan Amazing staff!
Catherine E. in Warrensburg, MO – Jul 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Harlan through another orthopedic physician, and I have had the best surgical experience with him. He was thorough, and paid close attention to what was important to me, as well as what was prudent to my diagnosis. As an RN, having a doctor with a good bedside manner AND the knowledge of Dr. Harlan is rare. If I have any more issues, I will definitely return to him.
  • Long wait times
Michele M. in Kansas City, MO – Jul 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I can't recommend Dr. Harlan enough- He is an outstanding surgeon and his staff is excellent! My first surgery, to repair my torn hip labrum, by a surgeon in San Diego, did not go well. Dr. Harlan took a lot of time to answer all of my questions & explained why I was still having problems. He was kind, caring & confident he could revise & repair my hip. I'm extremely happy to say, he did an extraordinary job!! He was on point w/ respect to recovery, a wealth of information & he is the best!
Deanna Groark in San Diego, CA – May 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr Harlan is a great Physician! He did two surgeries on my 14 year old son. Both times he took the time to talk to me before and after. Always explained everything and very patient . It was nice to be around a Dr that cares !
Courtney Higginbotham in Joplin Missouri – Mar 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I most likely would not recommend Dr. Harlan to any friends. He is a very friendly doctor, however, he gave me the wrong diagnosis for my shoulder and would not listen when I told him the diagnosis he gave completely contradicted my MRI. He spent 15 minutes with me, that includes somewhat of a physical exam and looking at the MRI. I have left a message everyday for a week and have yet to get a response. Not satisfied at all!
Feb 16, 2018
The correct diagnosis of any orthopedic condition...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
I have lived a vigorous life as a martial artist, police sniper and as a SWAT operator. I had a torn labrum in each hip. I had a corrective surgery by a doctor other than Dr. Harlan.that literally left me disabled. I was medically retired as a result of my duty-related injuries, one of which was my first labral repair. Dr. Harlan performed surgery on both of my hips. It has been 7 months. I am pain free and gettting strong again. The best medical decision I have made was to trust Dr. Harlan!
Bob Higginbotham in Joplin, Mo – Aug 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Awesome surgeon. Dr. Harlan completely fixed my problem. He explained the procedure before and after surgery, and he answered all of my questions. (This was my first surgery ever, so I had lots of questions!) Highly recommend.
Kansas City, MO – Jul 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr. Harlan did my FAI surgery and fixed a labral Oct 2013. He was so caring and throughro. Would never see anyone else for this type of surgery. Can not praise enough.
Lees Summit, MO – Jun 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Born with Cerebral Palsy and after a lifetime of braces and operations in trying to help me walk with my feet in the natural position. Each operation seemed to be short lived. I was told of the work of Dr. Cody Harlan, MD. I then Met with him, he said, "I maybe able to help!" Those words were like music to my ears. I then confirmed a date for surgery and within 72 hours I noticed improvement in my feet. After 57 years, I can now walk with my head held high! Thanks Dr. Cody Harlan, MD. God bless!
William J. Ruby IV in Lees Summit, MO – Apr 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?
Dr. Harlan changed my life, after seeing no less than 5 other orthopedic surgeons who offered no solutions other than prescriptions, Dr. Harlan diagnosed my issue on my first visit. I have now had operations on both hips, and am back to walking, and enjoying life without a cane/walker and most importantly, without pain. The new office and set up is so much better than his previous affiliation.
Independence, MO – Mar 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cody Harlan, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Harlan?

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Missouri

Check Dr. Harlan's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Harlan's Top Procedures and Conditions

Hip Arthroscopy

Dr. Harlan performs Hip Arthroscopy more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Harlan performs this procedure more than 91% of his peers

Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis)

Dr. Harlan treats Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis) more than 65% of his peers

Dr. Harlan treats this condition more than 65% of his peers

Dr. Harlan's conditions and procedures:

• ACL Surgery
  • Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Hip Arthroscopy
  • Rotator Cuff Tear
  • Runner's Knee
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis

Dr. Harlan accepts

Dr. Harlan accepts the following insurance:

American Enterprise Group
HealthyBlue Advantage
Commercial Insurance Company
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Preferred PPO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Medicaid
Medico
PHP-Physicians Health Plan
Tricare
TriCare for Life
Universal American

Our care philosophy is simple....we listen, we care.  Unfortunately, modern medicine has not evolved with your valuable time and resources in...Read more

Dr. Harlan is Kansas City's most experienced orthopedic surgeon treating hip disorders of the young active athlete, weekend warrior, and individuals with...Read more

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine