Pain Medicine  |
Dr. Clifford Baker, MD
Dr. Baker specializes in interventional spine and pain management and utilizes the most advanced techniques in interventional spine treatments and injections, including radiofrequency ablation, spinal cord stimulators, and kyphoplasties. He performs electrodiagnostic testing (EMG/NCS) to assist in the diagnosis and management of painful nerve conditions including carpal tunnel syndrome, radiculopathy, and peripheral neuropathy. After receiving his undergraduate degree in Microbiology at the University of Arizona, Dr. Baker continued to do research in microbiology at the University of Arizona and was awarded a NASA Space grant to study the effects of microgravity on the immune system. He then received his Medical Degree at the University of Arizona in 2010 and went on to Loma Linda University Medical Center for his Internship and Residency in the field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. During his internship in Internal Medicine, he was honored with the "Internal Medicine Resident of the Year Award" for his compassionate care and work ethic. He also served as Chief Resident during his residency and served on several committees to improve the residency program and education training for future residents. Subsequently, he completed an ACGME-accredited fellowship in Interventional Spine & Pain Management which involves extensive training in all aspects of the diagnosis and treatment of spine disorders and painful conditions. The distinction of being an ACGME Board-Certified Pain Management physician is important for patients to understand. There are many practicing physicians in pain management who are not Board-Certified and thus have not gone through the necessary training and rigorous standards for testing that are required by the ACGME Board. Our physicians at the NovaSpine Pain Institute are all ACGME-Board Certified in good standing. Dr. Baker is actively engaged in the community, having served at the Commitment to Underserved People Program (CUP), providing health care services to underserved communities. He devoted his time, expertise, and support to patients and their families suffering from Alzheimer's disease at the Alzheimer's Association of Tucson. Dr. Baker is a member of the American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM), American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM & R), American Association of Neuromuscular andElectrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM), and International Spine Intervention Society (ISIS).

13203 N 103rd Ave Ste H5

• Alta Health Network
  • Altec
  • American Republic
  • AmeriPlan
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • Arizona PHCS
  • AZ Benefit Options

Learn about Dr. Baker

As a physician, I believe the FIRST and most pivotal step to helping patients is building trust. This is done by listening to you and reviewing your medical history in a comprehensive manner, rather than just reading your MRI/images. My goal is to FIRST diagnose and THEN treat your medical problems using a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach. Most importantly, I believe you should always be at the center of every decision we make together. My passion is your success in achieving pain relief. Call today to make an appt an NovaSpine Pain Institute.

Dr. Baker's Experience

Dr. Baker's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Pain Medicine

• Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Neck Pain

• Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University of Arizona
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2005
  • University of Arizona
    Medical School | Graduated 2005
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2006
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Baker has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Baker does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Baker and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Baker's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Baker to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Baker's Performance
in Sun City, AZ |
Dr. Baker has helped me to get back to my life. I had numbness in my hand and another doctor told me it was carpel tunnel but it was a pinched nerve plus I had swelling in my neck and I was very uncomfortable. Dr. Baker has always been professional but still approachable and listens to what you have to say. His assistants in the procedure room make you feel very comfortable. I highly recommend Dr. Baker to anyone who has pain issues.
Phoenix, AZ |
I am so pleased to have Dr. Baker as my pain management doctor, treating me since 2009. I suffer with RA & have had spine issues. Having Dr. Baker chart the proper course of treatment has been a godsend! He analyzes my chronic pain levels & prescribes the proper doses of medication. My fears with addicting drugs are understood & he works to provide me the best drugs, to include any alternatives. He truly cares about his patients & communication with Dr. Baker is easy, concise and no nonsense.
in Sun City west, AZ |
I have been treating with Dr. Baker for over 3 years. I am 70 years old and have been treated by many doctors over my lifetime. Dr. Baker is the best. He is knowledgeable, professional and has a positive upbeat attitude which is reflected by everyone on his staff. Thank you doctor for all your great help.
in Glendale Arizona |
After three treatments all my pain has returned. Never any follow up with the doctors staff. This is a patient mill. As long as the money is flowing things go o.k. Everything was a rush. Doctor kept is back towards me for my entire visit. The staff is over worked and has little time to answer questions. Needless to say I wont be returning.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I was introduced to Dr. Baker last fall after having been rear-ended in my car several months earlier. He took the time & interest to absolutely understand my condition before starting on a plan to correct my back and neck issues. His communication was always very clear, concise, and open minded to make certain I understood what he was doing, planning on doing in each additional procedure, and having my feedback to confirm the progress. I am now moving out of state and will miss his skills.
Phoenix, AZ |
Unfortunately, not likely. This is in no way a reflection of his care, but of his office staff. First, they gave me a fax number that did not work to send my authorization. I had a number of issues dealing with their staff and ended up deciding to go with another provider. The hassle was not worth the alleged high reviews.
Glendale, AZ |
After being in a car accident I had horrible neck pain and Dr Baker has fixed it. I am so very grateful for him and his staff. They were so professional and helpful through this process. I can now sleep at night and the headaches from my neck pain have now gone away as well. Thank you for giving me my normal life back!
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Baker worked with me & helped me to regain a normal life. His patience & skills helped me to understand my true source of pain. Thank you.
in Surprise, Az. |
Dr. Baker & his staff take your health issues very seriously. I've been seeing Dr. Baker for 4 years for back pain & Trochenterick Bursitis. With periodic injections from Dr. Baker I'm able to continue playing Sr. Softball 3 days a week & snow ski 15 days a year at Squaw Valley Ca. The quality of my life has been greatly advanced thanks to Dr. Baker & his staff. Thank you Dr. Baker. Norm Lustig Surprise Az.
in Sun City West, AZ |
I have been a patient of Dr. Clifford Baker for a couple of years, due to different kinds of physical pain. I have found him to be attentive to my questions (- - - even when I thought he was just typing on his computer). He is extremely knowledgeable & progressive in his field of pain medicine, & I have found that he is very tenacious in his objective of finding a treatment for his patients' pain. Dr. Baker & his staff are kind, very efficient, & will "go the whole nine yards" for all of us.
in Glendale |
This place is. A place is a patient mill. Pain meds out of the question as well as muscle relaxer. Get out your wallet your deduct able blown here you have to go under anesthesia each visit and get back epidural a ONLY.
We are extremely compassionate towards people and the pain they are in. Our goal is to evaluate every patient and to come up with the best plan of care to relieve the pain they are in. There are certainly times, in this age of Google searches, and constant advertising of medications in the media, patients can arrive with a predetermined plan of care. We do feel that it is important that the patient be informed of their medical issues, sometimes their desires can be not in their best interest.
in Peoria, AZ |
After a serious car accident several years ago and many various doctors and therapies; I thankfully found Dr. Baker. He has proven to be the most caring and knowledgable specialty doctor that I have ever had. He always listens to me and thoroughly explains all procedures and treatment plans with me. Dr. Baker is the only one I trust with my spine and has been able to manage my permanent pain so that I am able to work and have more quality time with my family. He is well worth any wait time.
in Goodyear, AZ |
Dr Baker was the first doctor I saw. Dr Morales and Dr Baker are in the same office and they did the same thing for me. I really liked both of them and trusted them both. Dr Baker was also very sympathetic and really saw the pain I was in. He also gave me options and I decided on one. He got me an appointment right away and gave me a prescription for medication to hopefully help with the pain. I would definitely recommend Dr Baker to anyone who had a similar spine problem.
in Tempe, AZ |
I have had many othro doctors and specialists in the 8 years I have had injured disks. Dr Baker is hands down my recommendation for anybody in this field. He was friendly, realistic, knowledgeable, straight forward, and professional. He tells you what he sees and observes and coupled with your input thatrecommends what he can and or cant do to help you. Talking to patients like a human and not just another file or paycheck and not wasting your time or money. my pain is now minimal thanks to him
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Baker really saved my boyfriend. I went with my boyfriend to see Dr Baker for back pain that he has had for years. Dr Baker was thorough in his exam and really listened to our concerns. Since having injections from Dr Baker his pain has improved significantly. We can tell Dr Baker cares significantly for his patients and his work speaks for itself in the relief my boyfriend has experienced. He is a compassionate healer in every respect. We are so thankful. I highly recommend seeing Dr Baker.
Surprise, AZ |
Came into room and asked tech if this is the new patient. She said yes, I said Hello and Dr. Baker went back out without even saying Hello back. Waited 10 minutes for him to come back to room. Told tech that I was not happy that Dr. could not even say Hello. Dr. Baker finally came into the room and said I should see another Dr. and he would give me my money back. VERY UNFRIENDLY AND RUDE
in Sun City West, Az |
I love golf and have had back pain for over thirty years. Over the last twenty years I've had to take an increasing variety of drugs to get through a game, all the way to oxycodone. I've put off the recommended back fusion for years. I went to an appointment with my wife and met Dr Baker. He could see I was in pain and seemed honestly concerned about my condition. After a few simple procedures taking only minutes, I now play four times a week with no pain and no drugs at all! Go see him!
in Surprise, AZ |
I was in the office today for an injection. I mentioned a problem to the gal on the desk and she immediately got me to the right person. They have me privacy and treated me with dignity and respect. Some names: Amy and George. All the staff did a great job. Can't forget Dr.Baker. He even had Saturday hours during the holidays. You can't find better people than these. Oh, and I'm sure the injection will work well. Big thanks.
Goodyear, AZ |
I don't doubt that Dr Baker is qualified but the length of time I have sat waiting for my appointment has been over an hour the last two visits. That is unacceptable. I was called and told Dr Baker was 20 minutes behind when I finally saw him it was well over an hour and a half late. The front desk is less than welcoming. Not sure I will remain a patient .
In presenting a plan of care that is safe for our patients, that can take time and put us behind schedule. While it is not something that we strive for at NovaSpine Pain Institute, our desire to deliver safe care is always of utmost importance. This may make us the recipient of some negative reviews, however our number one goal is to deliver excellent patient care, and to assure that each patient is safe.
in Glendale, AZ |
He was in a hurry and not listening to me. He didn't exam me for the reason of the appointment. He wasn't interested in hearing anything I had to say and ended the office visit without giving me pertinent information for my employer. He talked about giving me controlled substances multiple times and I was clear I didn't want to go that route. He dismissed me and interrupted me multiple times. He showed no compassion nor clear understanding of my situation. I would not recommend him at all!!
in Peoria, AZ |
Dr Baker is one of those rare doctors who truly cares about the patient and will do what is best for them, not just what fills his pockets. I had the terrible opportunity to be part of an auto accident that wasn't our fault and to find good care was extremely hard. Dr Baker is the only doctor that listened and helped. If you get the opportunity to have him as a doctor I would definitely recommend it! Karen in the office is great as well!
in Phoenix, AZ |
If you seek other physician opinions hendisowns you as a patient. Just another doc trying to line his pockets Seek others easy to do better with a really caring pain management specialist
in Surprise, AZ |
I am a 75 year old female who has had 8 back surgeries ,needs two shoulder replacements,has bursitis in hips and sciatic nerve pain in legs. Dr.Baker has been the only pain Dr.to help alleviate all my pain.His suggestion of doing a Nevro Bone Stimulator trial and so doing one proved to be most successful in my decisions to permanently have one implanted in my back.I am now 99 % pain free of back pain.Dr baker and his very pleasant professional staff make going to his office a pleasure.5 stars
Litchfield Park Az |
The office staff is always courteous. Dr. Baker takes his time, listening to the issue and decides what the best treatment plan should be. He is kind and compassionate and cares about his patients. He is very dedicated to helping to find the solution that will best suit your needs.
in Sun City, AZ |
I highly recommend Dr. Clifford Baker. I have MS and have suffered from debilitating right buttock (right Piriformis)) for 15 years. I started seeing Dr. Baker for my pain management issues after being so impressed with my husband's care. After 15 years of Narcotics, Dr. Baker suggested the idea of a steroid injection directly into the problematic area; something no previous Dr. had suggested. I just had my 2nd of 2 shots and I've been able to decrease my meds. This is HUGE for me. Thx Dr.B
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr.Baker proves me with the highest level of expert care re: my pain issues.He is personable and respectful.His staff are very helpful and friendly.
in Phoenix, Az 85041 |
I highly recommend Dr. Baker he not only listens but also is highly aware of staff performance. He cares about his patients and goes above and beyond to excell the care for each one of us patients. Staff is remarkable too.
in sun city west |
I have been with Dr. Baker for several years. He is the kindest Dr. I have ever known, He will do everything he can to help you. He truly sits and listens to you on your visit. I am 80yrs. old so I have known a lot of Drs. I worked in a hospital for 16 yrs. and knew a lot of Drs. who could not hold a candle to him. If you want the best try him.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Can't say enough good things about Dr Baker and his staff. Great bedside manner, genuinely a good guy who cares about his patients. A true professional and the best at what he does. Highly recommend.
in Buckeye, AZ |
Dr.Baker accepted my pain management after moving from the NW to AZ. He has always listened and has been an advocate for me with the insurance companies and pharmacies. Dr. Baker makes himself available when I have hospital admissions, talking with Dr. and anesthesiologists to help them understand the pain level and treatments necessary when treating me for procedures and surgery. His office staff is customer service oriented and also goes the extra mile in helping.
in Goodyear, AZ |
finally I'm pain free! dr. baker addressed the multiple issues i have with my back pain. now I'm able to hike, paddle board, and drive without debilitating pain! thanks to dr baker and his staff!
in Buckeye, AZ |
Dr. Baker takes the time to listen, he values quality of life, and he has the desire and knowledge to do whatever possible to help relieve pain associated with various back/spine and knee complications besides just prescribing drugs. What an AWESOME doctor!!!! My pain level from failed back syndrome has gone down from a 10+ to about a 1 or 2 so I can do the activities I love to do.
in Glendale AZ |
I have been getting epidural shots for pain to avoid back surgery. Dr Baker is the best at hitting the areas that cause me the most pain. He is very personable. He listens to how I describe my pain. He answers all my question. I'd recommend Dr. Baker to anyone who has chronic pain that can be reduced by injection. Office is really busy, but his staff stays on top of the appointments and gets the patients through pretty efficiently.
in Surprise AZ |
Dr. Clifford Baker and His Staff, They are one of medical best service and practice of excellent care, I have never. Had any Doctor care so much about my well being, The time and effort From Dr. Baker was way beyond my expectations Medical Care, Sincerity and Professionalism, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge and Dr. Baker will be my Only Choice!. It is a TRUST factor that wins me over! He and his staff is a 10 Star!!! Mazin Karadshi With Highest Regards!
in Clarkdale, AZ |
I've always been an active man and found myself flat on my back from debilitating sciatica. My wife and I found ourselves completely grounded, no dinners out, no movies, no traveling. I remember Dr. Baker saying lets see if we can find the sweet spot as he began the procedure. The dramatic turn around from debilitating pain to complete relief was so overwhelming that I would have walked 10 miles, because I could now, just to say thank you.
in Surprise, Az |
Dr Baker is an excellent back pain specialist & an alternative to major spine surgery, He has relieved my L4 L5 sciatica pain with epidural injections that allow me to function & volunteer for 7-12 hr. days in a row providing security for the waste management phoenix open golf tourney that raises 9 million $ for phoenix charities. He has given me back my life, He listens, cares & is very knowledgeable about medicine. His staff are respectful & caring. Tony Mullozzi PhD
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I've been seeing Dr. Baker for several months to treat chronic pain. He always listens and takes into account my pain level and working with my other medical issues. Very flexible office appointments and I was able to schedule some appointments on weekends which helped with my wife's work schedule. Dr. Baker knows what is going on in the area of treating pain; up-to-date on options and clearly explains medications. He is very dedicated to his patient's wellbeing.
in Surprise, AZ |
I have a new hero. I went to Dr Baker for an upper back problem. When i was literally on the table for treatment, I told Dr. Baker of pain I had just developed in my lower back. After an exam, DR Baker, without the delays of another appointment, made an on the spot decision to also treat the lower back pain too. Dr Baker's caring for me came before his personal time and the delays of insurance. He is the perfect example of a great Dr caring first. I think the world of him Thank you Dr Baker
in Sun City West AZ |
If you are looking for comment and compassionate doctor than he is who you've been looking for. Office staff is great at all location. I'm often seen by Janet Orozco, his PA offers great assistance and knowledge. If you suffer with pain, this office is for you.
in Peoria, AZ |
Just a really great doctor. Engaged. Not jaded and doesn't talk down. Obviously busy, I relate. Took time and was very patient.
Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Baker is real knowledgeable and personable, which makes the experience less stressful. What does cause stress is his very rude office staff. I've had one person there so far who has been very nice and went above and beyond to figure something out. The rest like to interrupt and are a bunch of know-it-all's.
We are very sorry that you had encountered these issues at the office. Staff is under new management and there are a lot of new faces at Nova Spine. If you are ever needing pain management service in the future we are here for your healthcare needs and I am sure that your next visit would be very enjoyable.
Have you seen Dr. Clifford Baker, MD?

Visit Dr. Baker

• American Republic
  • AmeriPlan
    Discount Card
    Motorola Health Plans
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    American Indian Health Plan
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • Arizona PHCS
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) PPO
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Benesight
  • Chandler Group
    Cigna POS
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
  • CNA
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • Compusys
  • Fortified Provider Network
    Fortified Provider Network PPO
  • Galaxy Health Network
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Lutheran Preferred
    Lutheran Preferred PPO
  • Magellan Health Services
    Magellan Health Services HMO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Maricopa Foundation For Medical Care
    MetLife PDP
    MetLife PPO
  • Midwest Life
  • Monumental Life Insurance Company
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP)
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP) PPO
    RAN/AMN
    ValuePoint
  • National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE)
  • Network Platinum Plus
  • PHCS
    PHCS PPO
  • Phoenix Health Plan
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
    Phoenix Health Plan (w/prior authorization)
  • Physicians Mutual