Family Medicine  |
Dr. Claude Mason, MD
Dr. C. John Mason grew up in Connecticut. He earned his Bachelor's of Science degree in Molecular and Genetic Biology from Bucknell University in 1982. He then traveled to Louisville, Kentucky where he earned his MD from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He completed his residency in Emergency Medicine at Akron General Medical Center in Akron, Ohio in 1990. After completing his residency, he was recruited to become the Chairman of Emergency Medicine at the Deaconess Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. During that tenure Dr. Mason earned his Master's in Business Administration from Xavier University in Cincinnati. In 1997, he moved to St. Louis, MO where he was the Director of Trauma Services and the ER at DePaul Health Center. From 1999-2001, Dr. Mason was the Chairman for the Department of Medicine at Shands AGH in Gainesville, FL. From there he settled in Sarasota and began working as the Medical Director of Emergency Medicine at Doctor's Hospital. While at Doctor's Hospital, Dr. Mason became the Chairman of Emergency Medicine for Gulf Coast Emergency Physicians in Port Charlotte. This position brought him to the ER at Fawcett Memorial Hospital and Englewood Community Hospital where he was elected as the Chief of Staff for two consecutive terms. In 2006, Dr. Mason purchased the Sarasota Family Medical Center and shared his time caring for patients there and in the ER. In 2009, Dr. Mason and Dr. Aristimuño purchased the Sarasota Medical Center. Currently they are both working solely in the Sarasota Medical Center keeping the residents and guests of Sarasota healthy with knowledgeable, efficient and friendly care.

2830 Bee Ridge Rd

Sarasota, FL 34239

Dr. Claude Mason, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • AvMed
  • ChoiceCare Network
  • MAPFRE Life Insurance Company of Puerto Rico
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Mason

We provide Medical Care to patients as though they were our family. We have the skill and experience that you would find at a major medical center at a fraction of the cost. We strive to see you quickly because we value and respect your time.

Dr. Mason's Experience

Dr. Mason's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Family Medicine

Accredited by: American Board of Emergency Medicine*

• Allergies
  • Asthma
  • Benign Skin Tumor
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Dementia
  • Injuries
  • Menopause
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Pneumonia
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

• 24-Hour Ambulatory Electrocardiogram

• Akron General Medical Cener
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990
  • Xavier University
    Other Education | Completed 1996

Dr. Mason has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Mason does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mason and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Mason's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mason to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Mason's Performance
in sarasota, fl |
Dr. Mason and Sarasota Medical Center is one of the most professional places I have ever been to. Dr. Mason really listens to what you have to say, and provides the necessary treatment that you need. I highly recommend this place. Also, there is usually just a 5 minute wait to see the doctor, which is a blessing when you do not feel well. Lastly, you can get a last minute appointment if needed. I hope that Dr. Mason is my doctor for a very long time; he is very positive, smart & nice!!!
Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Mason was very nice. However, I will not be returning to his office. The staff was very unprofessional. I heard the nurses outside of my room talking very inappropriately about another patient. The nurses were very unprofessional and didn't seem to care about me as a patient. I had blood work done, and was prescribed a medication. After one month, they wanted me to get more blood work done before refilling my medication. This place is a mess. I will not be returning.
in Osprey, FL |
My wife was a physical therapist, my uncle a thoracic surgeon in New York City, my sisters were nurses, and my aunt the chief surgical nurse at the VA in Buffalo. I was the embarrassment in the family...I became an attorney. I lived on a cul-de-sac surrounded by four doctors; A neurosurgeon, a cardiovascular surgeon, a dermatologist and a pediatrician. I can say, without reservation, that Dr. Mason is one of the finest physicians I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I highly recommend him.
in Sarasota, FL |
Great Staff. Well organized. Professional, courteous and kind. Dr. Mason is a friendly doctor.
in Sarasota, FL |
An overall exceptional medical office. Dr. Mason is a very patient and attentive doctor that did not rush through my appointment and listened to my explanation of visit. His entire staff are kind and helpful. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for my appointment and in and out at a reasonable timeframe. I am so pleased to have found this office in Sarasota and I highly recommend Dr. Mason to anyone looking for a very good Family Doctor/ General Practitioner/ Internist.
in Sarasota, FL |
After many years of trying to find the right doctor for me, a specialist recommended I see Dr. Mason. He, and his staff, were so kind and caring that I was amazed there were any doctors like him to be found anymore. He actually listened and cared about my well-being. Sarasota Medical Center is the best there is to be found for excellent medical care.
in Sarasota, FL |
My husband and I moved here from Pittsburgh in April of 2016. We took our time in researching to find the best possible Doctor in Sarasota, and we found him in Dr. Mason. Dr. Mason immediately noticed an issue with my husbands bloodwork, and referred us to a specialist. The issue was overlooked by our Dr.in Pittsburgh. Dr. Mason is not only a great Doctor, but he is caring, compassionate and listens to his patients. I have recommended family and friends to Dr. Mason because he is the best
Sarasota, FL |
I interviewed five Sarasota-area doctors before settling on Dr. Mason in 2009. He has served me since that time with professional knowledge, empathy, and respect. He has a great sense of humor and treats adult patients as adults who request his advice, not condescending lectures and tongue-clucking judgment. I recommend him highly. His new office on Bee Ridge is friendly, efficient, and state-of-the-art.
Waynesville, OH |
-Chadrick L. in Sarasota, FL I began seeing Dr. Mason not to long ago. On my initial visit Dr. Mason spent time listening to my health concerns, explained to me the different options I had to treat my health issues. I was a little apprehensive about changing my primary care doctor however I could not be more blessed to have Dr. Mason as my primary care doctor now. I have complete trust in him in ensuring my medical needs are addressed. I highly recommend Dr. Mason to anyone.
in Sarasota |
My wife and I moved to the Sarasota area 8 months ago and were very fortunate to become patients of Dr Mason. Moving and finding your medical providers is paramount and we were lucky. Dr Mason makes you feel important and indicates care for your health. He is far above our hopes for a personal physician. The other very good thing about him is that you spend very little time waiting. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT VERY KNOWLEDGABLE FRIENDLY THOROUGH EXCELLENT EXCELLENT
in Sarasota, FL |
Very competent and easily understandable----great new office-------
in Sarasota, FL |
I began seeing Dr. Mason not to long ago. On my initial visit Dr. Mason spent time listening to my health concerns, explained to me the different options I had to treat my health issues. I was a little apprehensive about changing my primary care doctor however I could not be more blessed to have Dr. Mason as my primary care doctor now. I have complete trust in him in ensuring my medical needs are addressed. I highly recommend Dr. Mason to anyone, no matter what age.
in Sarasota, FL |
DR MASON ROCKS!!!!! HES VERY PROFESSIONAL, KNOWLEDGEABLE AND VERY CARING TO YOUR PERSONAL MEDICAL NEEDS... FOR ME AND MY FAMILY WE ALWAYS GO TO SARASOTA MEDICINAL CENTER AND SEE DR MASON BECAUSE WE KNOW WE WILL BE TREATED WITH THE BEST MEDICAL TREATMENT AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason has always been very knowledgeable and listens to me when stating my medical issues. When my back is out and I'm in pain he has been right on top of what I need to do.His staff is very friendly and competent. My whole family goes to Dr. Mason due to my recommendation and great care I've received over the years.
in Sarasota , FL |
I have been seeing Dr. Mason for over 10 years. He listens and always answers my questions. He has a great bedside manner. Very professional and the same for the entire staff. I have always trusted him for my care.
in North Port, FL |
Dr. John Mason has been my primary care physician since 2010. He always provided the absolute best care, advice and treatment during every visit and for every issue. Dr John Mason and his staff are all that I have hoped in a medical physician group. If you are looking for doctor whose compassionate, loving and caring. I highly recommend Dr.John Mason. He treats his patients like family. Thanks for everything.
in Sarasota, FL |
I trust the entire team at Sarasota medical center for my family. The lead doctors, Mason and Aristamuños are professional and caring. I appreciate all you guys do for us
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr mason is one of the best physicians you could ever find. He is brilliant - caring and compassionate. I always know I Ma in good hands when he is there.
in Sarasota Fl |
Dr. Mason's office has a very friendly and courteous staff, he has been my doctor and my family's doctor for a couple of years. I also brought my brother who suffers from type two diabetes to visit Dr. Mason, my brother prior to his visit with Dr. Mason did not take his condition seriously, Dr. Mason changed his meds and explain to my brother in terms that really did sink in about how serious his condition really is, after visiting with Dr. Mason a few times his sugar levels have Dropped
Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason is very unfriendly and says very little to the patient. He acts inferior, God complex. Even told me to lie to another doctor. . He messed me up on my prescriptions and had to be corrected by another doctor. The other doctor who had to correct his mistake even asked what kind of doctor is he and said I was treated wrong by Mason. My husband sat in the second time I saw him and it was all he could do to keep from letting this guy have some info the doc badly needs.
I strive to meet the needs of all of my patients. However, there are times when a patient wants me to prescribe medications or to perform procedures that would actually harm them. It doesn't happen very often, but unfortunately sometimes the answer is "no". Some patients get upset with this.
in Sarasota, FL |
Having just relocated to Sarasota and looking for a family physician, my wife and I contacted Dr. Mason's office for an initial appointment. During that first visit and general examination by Dr. Mason and his PA, they recommended a cardiac consult which, as it turns out, saved my life. Shortly thereafter, following two tests by the cardiologist, it was determined all my arteries were greater than 90% blocked. I had exhibited virtually no symptoms (except for two episodes of shortness of brea
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason has been my doctor since 2013. He is one of the most compassionate physicians I have ever encountered. He is a physician who listen to you and cares about what you have to say. He is an excellent diagnostician and if needed refers you to an appropriate specialist who also has the same bedside manner that he has which is caring and who also listens to what you have to say. I highly recommend him. Cynthia B.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Claude John Mason and his staff are beyond excellent. He is always very compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. I have been a patient of Dr. Mason since 2013. His front office staff always try to get the appointment time you want and his nurses are extremely knowledgeable and kind. I would absolutely highly recommend Dr. Claude John Mason.
in Sarasota, FL |
I was referred to Dr. Mason following an auto accident two years ago. I have since left my primary care doctor of many years to become Dr. Mason's patient. I couldn't be more pleased with his care. He is kind, thoughtful, and compassionate. His diagnostic skills are beyond measure. I recommend him to everyone I know.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason is an excellent physician. Very knowledgeable and caring. Dr. Mason, unlike many other Sarasota physicians, is focused on medical care. I wish he accepted Optimum health insurance, the only Medicare 5 star in the Sarasota area. Hopefully, our paths will cross again in the future.
in Sarasota, FL |
Very compassionate and kind. Very caring staff. I'm very anxious about anything medical and they did their best to make me as comfortable as possible. I will go back without fear.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr, John Mason is the BEST I moved to Florida 4+ years ago. leaving a great Dr. in Las Vegas. Was directed to a Dr. is Venice who was OK?? Changed insurance & needed to find a new Dr. Thank God I was fortunate enough to find Dr. Mason. He is Kind, Understanding, Very, Very knowledgeable and "tells you like it is" Always takes to listen to your concerns and explains your condition in language that a ordinary person can understand. He is a terrific, wonderful person and a very gifted Doctor.
in Sarasota, Florida |
Dr. Mason is a phenomenal doctor. 1) He is personable and compassionate; 2) He listens to me; 3) He is very knowledgeable; is willing to work with other physicians to find me the best treatment; 4) He is accessible and, if I have an appointment, the wait is never long. If I go as a walk-in...it can be a little longer but the ability to walk-in and see him outweighs any wait; 5) The office staff has always been pleasant and helpful. Dr. Mason and his crew get my highest recommendation!!!
in Rotonda West |
Dr Mason is good, it's the office staff. I had to have medical clearance for hip replacement surgery in June and encountered several problems with his staff not faxing paperwork over to my surgeon in a timely manner. They stated they faxed it, but it was never received by my surgeon, then they would say they couldn't find it, etc. I'm having surgery again, same thing, only much worse. My surgery is delayed because of this and it is now affecting my health and recovery from this surgery.
Sarasota Medical Center makes every effort to ensure that all of our patients are treated in a timely fashion and with the utmost respect. The fax to this surgeon was sent and was documented as having been received. Why the surgeons office claims not to have received this fax is unclear to us, and is out of our control.
in Sarasota, Florida |
Dr. Mason is, in my opinion, the best Medical Doctor in Sarasota. I Tried three other doctors over the years here in Sarasota none of which really seemed to care for my well being; I was just another appointment to check off. Dr. Mason cares a great deal for each patient. Another key point is that he does not do extra stuff or bill for extra stuff ... he listens, uses the diagnostic tools he needs, including his wealth of experience, and then provides the medical treatment required.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason was very thorough when he took care of my daughter. He took the time to discuss things thoroughly leaving no stone unturned . He's a very kind and intelligent man .
in Sarasota, FL |
I went to Dr. Mason to establish with a primary care Dr. in the Sarasota area. He made me wait along time beyond my appointment. He was not friendly and seemed very rushed. He did nothing to examine me. He didn't even look in my ears and throat. He did refill my prescriptions for me, but several he forgot to put refills on and one blood pressure medicine he refilled for 80mg when it was supposed to be 320mg.
We have no record of this patient. Perhaps someone is trolling us.
in Sarasota , Fl |
Excellent doctor!!!! Trust him with all my medical problems. Highly recommend Dr Mason to everyone. Thank you!!!!! John Montera
in Sarasota, FL |
I was referred to Dr. Mason after my car accident in 2012, I'd been seeing another Dr. since 2000, when I saw Dr. Mason the first time, he was much more caring and knew more about me in that short time so I decided to make him my primary care Dr. I suffer from chronic headaches since the accident which resulted in a cervical neck fusion operation. No question is silly and he listens and gives many treatment options. Thanks to you all! Best in Sarasota!
in Sarasota |
Truly wonderful doctor and staff. Very knowledgable and very comfortable to talk to. One of the best doctors that I have been to. He has a great sense of humor and places you at ease quickly.
in Chicago, IL |
We were looking for a Sarasota Doctor that had a combination of things. First, he had to be very knowledgable . He had to have a good bed side manner. And he had to have a sense of humor. We found him. Easy to get comfortable with Dr Mason, and he clearly knows what he is doing.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason was recommended to me by a good friend after my main family Doctor went into retirement. After being unhappy with other Doctors through the large local group, Dr. Mason has been the best Doctor to replace my previous one. He has done wonders helping me through some tough physical times. For me and my needs he is the Best. Also the fact that I don't have any insurance anymore, he allows me to self pay without breaking my bank account. Thank You Dr. Mason!
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason and Dr. Aristimuno take their time with their patients, and seem to really care about their treatment.
in Darasota FL |
Called for an app't any shot a recording saying leave info and they'd call back. 5 days later I called again and got an app't with Dr Mason. Arrived on time only to be told oh he's not here today. You will see another Dr. - I told them I have a recorded message from the day before confirming my app't with Dr Mason - the 3 people at the desk were befuddled. Who called I asked - I don't know ... No apologies for their mistake. No way to run a business. I wasted 60 min round trip.
in Sarasota, FL |
Fabulous Doctor. Kind. Smart. Compassionate. Careful. There just is not better in this state. If your situation is complex, he can figure it out. He does not do tests or give meds that are not needed and he is careful about spending your money too. But most of all, you won't find better diagnostic skills, a more tenacious seeker of what could be wrong, and the kindness and patience of John Mason. He is curious, steadfast, clear, and not impatient. Dedicated: The BEST.
in Sarasota, FL |
My family's GP for six years now, Dr. Mason is the brightest, most perceptive, effective, patient, genuinely caring, and kind doctor it has ever been my privilege to know. I continue to consult him even though my new insurance program (HMO) does not cover him - he's THAT GOOD. Of special note is the compassion with which he and his office care for the terminally ill and their family members.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr Mason is an excellent diagnostician. His specialist referrals have all been very good. Dr mason is terrific at helping you understand your health issues and then finding solutions. His staff is very pleasant.
in Sarasota, FL |
He is the first Doctor who looked at all my blood work and created a real plan for me. I told him I felt like he gave me a new lease on life. I have also just started his medical weight loss plan...I trust him...you should too!
in Sarasota, FL |
I've been with Dr. Mason for a long time and have no plans of changing. He's the most compassionate, caring, dependable Doctor. He listens and takes his time to know and analyze what's wrong. The best doctor ever!
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Mason is excellent, however his admin staff is poor. They made an appointment for a time when he was not in the office and have consistently failed to respond to requests for medicine updates at my Dad's assisted living facility. Would highly recommend Dr. Mason as a physician, but unfortunately would advise avoiding his practice if you have someone in need to remote communication, such as at an assisted living facility.
in sarasota fl |
I found Dr Mason a few yrs ago when new in town. A Walk in clinic and Pvt pts provider how Wonderful... He turns out to be very kind ,caring, and professional and most of all a good listener. Quick at what he does due to experience. If no ins.He recommendeds options for cheaper places for test to be done.He is all about the community. His dedication to pts concerns have pulled me thru a few things.I really respect him and thank him for services given so far.
in Orlando, FL |
Had condition not properly attended to. Remained untreated by him. No responses. Went elsewhere! Rude as well.
in Nokomis, Florida |
I have been seeing Dr. Mason for many years. I could not have chosen a more qualified, compassionate, skilled doctor on my own. I had seen two other PCPs before my cardiologist urged me to start seeing Dr. Mason after open heart surgery. The other two doctors were part of a major doctor network which relied on volume, and completely misread issues I was experiencing. I am so fortunate my cardiologist recommended Dr. Mason. If a Premier Cardiologist family sees him. That is a recommendation.
in Sarasota |
Excellent physician! Would recommend to my own mother Very professional & compationate man One of Sarasota's Best!
Have you seen Dr. Claude Mason, MD?

See our Family Medicine Specialist at Doctors Hospital of Sarasota

Visit Dr. Mason

Dr. Mason accepts 14 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)