Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Chunbong Ma, MD
Dr. C. Benjamin Ma is the Chief of the UCSF Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service and Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at UCSF. His special interests include sports medicine, arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair rotator cuff tears and ligament instability, shoulder replacement, knee ligament reconstruction, meniscus and cartilage injuries. He has received many clinical and research awards which include the UCSF Exceptional Physician Award, Henry Kaiser Award for Excellent in Teaching and UCSF Excellent in Teaching Award. He has been chosen by his peers as Top Doctors in both San Francisco and Marin every year from 2007 to present. In addition to his clinical specialties, Dr. Ma is involved in research on cartilage imaging and dynamic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans of ACL injured knees. He has also extensive publications on the improvement of outcomes following rotator cuff surgeries and replacements. His research has received the prestigious Charles Neer Award from American Shoulder and Elbow Society, Excellence in Patellofemoral Research from the International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and New Investigator Research Award from the Orthopaedic Research Society. He has been regarded as a pioneer in the field of sports medicine. Dr. Ma completed his undergraduate education in bioelectrical engineering at Brown University and went on to earn his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh, where he also completed a one-year musculoskeletal research fellowship. Following his residency, Ma completed a second fellowship in shoulder and knee surgery and sports medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.

1500 Owens St

• Delta Health System
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Ma

Dr. Ma's Experience

Dr. Ma's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• Brachial Plexus Palsy
  • Broken Arm
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gout
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

No malpractice history found for California.

• Brown University / Alpert Medical School
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1992
  • Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1996
  • University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • University Health Center of Pittsburgh
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Hospital for Special Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2003

Dr. Ma has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Cantonese

Dr. Ma does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ma and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ma's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ma to family and friends
Dr. Ma's Performance
in Sausalito, CA |
This was my second shoulder replacement by Dr. Ma and in short: He is the best.
in Half Moon Bay, CA |
Excellent surgeon with compassion.
in Fremont, CA |
I went to see Dr Ma because of knee pain, and my physical therapist did recommend him. When I saw Dr Ma, he did a good exam of my knee and asked many questions. As I was guessing he recommended to get an MRI, which show I had 2 meniscus tear. A few weeks later, Dr Ma did perform an arthroscopic surgery to take care of the tears. Procedure went well and I have been recovering without problem. Dr Ma had always been available to answer my questions. So extremely happy with Dr Ma.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Ma and his entire team at the UCSF Orthopaedic Institute were amazing. From my first office visit -- at which Dr. Ma very clearly explained all of my options, reviewed my MRI and listened to all of my questions -- to the actual surgery and post-op follow-up-- I couldn't imagine better care. I also really liked that we kept in communication via Health Loop, an app where I could check in with Dr. Ma. Thank you, Dr. Ma -- and everyone at UCSF who helped me through getting my knee better!
in Walnut Creek, CA |
Dr. Ma is the best doctors I have ever worked with. I had a dislocated shoulder and my Orthopedic surgeon who treated me for 8 months told me that my rotator cuff and tendon tear are beyond repair. Then I found Dr. Ma and he told me otherwise. He said he can repair it and I will have my life back after a surgery. I am so happy that I trusted him. He is an amazing doctor who cares for my well-being and contacts me frequently to check on my recovery. I feel truly blessed to be under his care.
in Lodi, ca. |
Very kind and pleasant. Informative and listens to what you have to say. I've already recommended Dr. Ma to several people in my home town.
in Redding, CA |
Not only is Dr. Ma an outstanding surgeon, he's also friendly and engaging. I recently had my second complete shoulder replacement both performed by Dr. Ma. He has been readily accessible and quick to respond to all my questions or concerns. I highly recommend him.
in Napa |
Dr. Ma is not only an extremely skilled doctor and surgeon he is a kind compassionate caring individual. I feel very privileged to be in his care and I am most grateful to him and his fine staff.
Fremont, CA |
Extremely knowledgeable and thorough. Also genuinely friendly and caring.
in Piedmont, CA |
Dr Ma and his team have been stellar pre-op, through surgery and now post op. He'a brilliant, kind and caring. He has doctors and international students shadowing him to learn to be as masterful as him. My shoulder surgery was a little out of the ordinary as another institution opted not to operate 6 months earlier, and my broken humerus and torn rotator cuff had healed incorrectly. When I understood the gravity of their mistake I put myself in the capable hands of UCSF docs! THANKS Dr Ma & Co ?
Oakland, CA |
Dr. Ma and his staff gave me excellent treatment for my broken collarbone. I was resistant to surgery, and I got 4 opinions to confirm the need for surgery - which he supported. Turns out, he had trained the 3 other surgeons I got opinions from - he seems to be the guru. (And all those guys had great things to say about him.) The surgery itself went smoothly, and their facility functions as a well oiled machine. The follow up visits were also efficient. He and his team are real pros.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Ma has an excellent bedside manner. He is a clear communicator in all forms; in person and via e-mail
San Francisco, CA |
I've had two rotator cuff repairs w Dr Mr. He is technically skilled with good emotional intelligence and a sincere humility.
San Francisco, CA |
Doctor Ma and his team are extremely professional and nice. I feel very lucky to have found them for my surgery. I would highly recommend them.
in Antioch, CA |
Dr. Ma came highly recommended and i can certainly see why! His talent is obvious but also the polite yet matter of fact way of talking to patients is respectful of the fact that we are adults and have a baseline of knowledge to process information. I really hate condescending or patronizing Drs that seem to think a person is either stupid or fragile and unable to handle what needs to be said
in Santa Rosa, CA |
Ebullient, positive, confident, ever-cheerful. Seems likes splendid dr. PFN
in Fortuna,CA |
I traveled 6 hours just to see Dr Ma, he was recommended to me by a family member. I was not disappointed, he is so knowledgeable and kind. Everything was explained in great detail to me, but in a way that I would understand. He is an amazing surgeon and 2 weeks post op my original pain is gone and I am resuming my normal activities.
in Sparks, NV |
Dr. Ma is an excellent orthopedic surgeon. I would recommend him to anyone who needs his expertise to survive a catastrophic injury like I did. He is the best and has magic hands. Charlotte Cattaneo
in Honydew, CA |
My experience was very good. I felt trust and confidence. I knew I was in good hands. I would give high recommendations to family and friends
in Berkeley, CA |
In person, Dr Ma was attentive, concerned and interested in my progress. I would recc. him to family and friends. I did , however find email contact less personal than my experience with other Md.s I am 76 so my use of the computer is not as extensive as a younger person. I assume the volume of Dr Ma's patients necessitates the computer use. I find it impersonal. I was trained and worked as a social worker. and I think a trained human is far superior, for noting patient concerns.
in San Francisco, CA |
I strongly recommend Dr Ma. I experienced no pain after rotator cuff surgery and he checked in with me daily to make sure I wAs comfortable and doing my exercises. I feel so fortunate to have had him as my surgeon.
in Mill Valley, CA |
Dr. Ma has been accessible, gives clear explanations, welcomes questions and is a gifted surgeon. His entire team is top-notch as well. His use of Health Loop keeps the patient under his watchful eye both pre- and post-surgery. I would highly recommend him to everyone.
Excellent care
Modesto, CA |
I was referred to Dr. Ma because no one was sure what to do with my shoulder. But Dr. Ma created a care plan and was very thorough and made sure I understood everything before I made any decisions! If I need any other orthopedic surgery done I would hands down go to him! He is friendly, approachable, and really has the best interest on his patient and it sure to have prompt responses to his patients before and weeks after surgery!
in San Francisco, CA |
In addition to all of his experience and credentials, Dr. Ma is extremely pleasant, patient, and helpful. He spent all the time I needed to address my many concerns and questions.
in Redding, CA |
He very helpful he'll answer all your questions, helps you understand the procedure. Good bedside manner, very positive person and a wonderful smile. Staff is awesome.
Thank you If there's anything that we can improve on, please notify us
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Ma takes the anxiety out of any surgical procedure. He informs you with the details of what needs to happen, but also knows how to make you feel comfortable about what you will be experiencing. He listens very closely to any questions and concerns, and clearly explains his answers. I would recommend Dr. Ma to any one needing orthopedic care. He's the best!
in Livermore, CA |
Dr. Ma will always be highly recommended by me, since he fixed a bad knee surgery when several other doctors failed to find a solution. I also had a shoulder surgery (labral repair) done by him. He takes the time to explain everything and every option, even though he is busy. I felt listened to, and all my concerns were addressed. Not to mention, surgery done expertly with no further pain.
in San Mateo, CA |
Dr. Ma is very experienced and I trust his expertise. He has had to treat children with ACL injuries before and I wouldn't trust anyone else but him to provide care for my 12 year old daughter. Dr. Ma and his staff also have experience treating young athletes (in my daughter's case, soccer), therefore taking into account age, growth, desire to return to athletics in there treatment plan. The staff was also absolutely wonderful and caring to my duaghter.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Ma performed shoulder surgery on me recently. This was the second time, the first time was 15 years ago by a different surgeon. The experience was excellent. While no surgery is enjoyable, Dr. Ma was able to get the very best results in an uncertain situation. I'm very grateful to have worked with someone with such amazing skill.
Oakland, CA |
He is personable and will take as much time as you need to answer questions.
in San Lorenzo, CA |
Dr. Ma was great when explaining the procedure, he spoke with a calming tone and always tried to keep me calm. He answered all my question and made sure I was comfortable with the answer.
in San Francisco, CA |
Leading shoulder surgeon in this area.
in San Bruno, CA, 94066 |
He is very detailed information on my procedure. Cares for his patients.
Attentive and capable team.
San Francisco, CA |
Doctor Ma was kind and caring, and knows his stuff. He took the time to tell me what was going on, his thoughts on recovery, and answered all my questions about what i could do.
in Reedley,Ca |
Very professional,polite
San Francisco |
I don't think it gets much better than when you are in Dr. Ma's hands. Throughout my treatment, he has had doctors from all over the world shadowing him. I'm lucky to be referred to him and have him in my network of providers.
Mill Valley, CA |
Dr. Ma is a perfectionist with a deep understanding of how to obtain very positive outcomes for his patients. This characteristic along with his professionalism and experience carry into his team, which are excellent. I would highly recommend Dr. Ma and his team.
San Francisco, California |
Dr. Ma shows a lot of care towards his patients, and his staff are great. He performed two Friday surgeries for me, and personally called each Sunday afterwards to check that everything is going smoothly
in San Francisco, CA |
I absolutely love Dr. Ma and the entire team at the UCSF orthopedic institute. I have had nothing but great experiences from my office visits, Physical therapy and surgery. Dr. Ma and the staff have all been wonderful and have made this experience the best that it could be through their thoroughness, knowledge, guidance and support. I consider myself lucky to have had such a wonderful surgeon and team.
in Santa Cruz, CA |
Dr. Ma is consummate professional. He and his team are very highly skilled individuals. This you know without question. However, it is the genuineness and integrity which is most impressive. At that moment, you know you are the most important person in the room. They met and far exceeding every expectation.
San Francisco, CA |
From the second he walked into the room, till the second he walked out of the follow up appointment post operation I felt like I was in the best hands possible. He took the time to explain what was wrong with my knee, what the options were, and what his best recommendation was. From there he was prompt in following up and making sure that everything was taken care of. With the exception of one of his aides, it was one of the most enjoyable healthcare experiences I've had.
in Mill Valley, CA |
He is a thoughtful, articulate, caring surgeon. Clearly discussed risks and benefits. From my perspective the procedure itself plus all the supporting activities (preop appointments, post op appointments etc) and his support team were all top notch.
Dr. Ma and his team are extremely knowledgeable and professional. From the onset of my diagnosis, during the preparation for surgery, during the surgical procedure and during the post-op period they have prepared me, kept me informed, answered my questions, addressed my concerns and all around made the process as easy as possible for me.
Los Altos, CA |
Total shoulder replacement
in Greenbrae |
Dr Ma is a superb physician and surgeon - he and his team do an excellent job of providing the highest level of patient care -
in Nevada City, CA |
Dr. Ma provided exceptional care and skill. He was friendly, explained everything clearly with visual supports, and answered every question. He even personally called me after surgery to check on my well being. It was a 3 hour drive for me to make appointments and surgery and without a doubt worth it!! I highly recommend making the effort to be under the excellent care of Dr. Ma.
in Hillsborough, CA |
Everything went as expected. From my first visit through post surgery all was explained and every question was answered. I was beyond pleased.
in San Francisco, CA |
Considerate, straightforward, empathetic doctor. Very happy to be working with him.
Have you seen Dr. Chunbong Ma, MD?

See our Sports Medicine Specialist at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital