Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Christopher Sliva, MD
Dr. Christopher Sliva is a board certified orthopaedic spine surgeon specializing in treatment of herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis and degenerative diseases of the spine. In addition, Dr. Sliva has extensive experience in the treatment of spinal tumors, infections, and trauma in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. His interests and expertise also include spinal deformity such as scoliosis and kyphosis in adults and children. As one of the partners of Rockford Spine Center, Dr. Sliva and his colleagues are often called upon to perform complex revision spinal surgery. "We have considerable experience in providing comprehensive evaluation and treatment of complex spinal conditions," says Dr. Sliva. The Spine Center is one of the premier centers for revision spinal surgery in the region. Dr. Sliva completed his fellowship in spinal surgery at the prestigious William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan. Dr. Sliva's goals in patient care are to fully diagnose the spinal condition, ensure understanding of all the treatment options, and reach a shared decision as to the best treatment plan. He encourages his patients to gather as much information about their diagnosis and treatment as possible, so the patient is the "driver of their treatment plan." We want to provide a predictable and successful surgical plan, with the least amount of risk, and a quick recovery. Dr. Sliva's patients often characterize his bedside manner as caring and compassionate; a direct reflection of his core values is to treat others with honesty, act with integrity, and provide the highest level of surgical care available. The idea of pursuing medicine started while he was growing up in a small central Illinois town after sustaining an athletic related knee injury. "Surgery has been a fascinating science to me from a young age, but your surgeon also needs to understand who benefits from surgery, and that is the art," says Dr. Sliva. Dr. Sliva is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford. He is board certified in orthopedic surgery and is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society, Winnebago County Medical Society and Illinois State Medical Society. Dr. Sliva volunteers his time providing orthopaedic care for the children at the Walter Lawson Children's Home in Loves Park, Illinois. He gains humility in caring for children with such complex health conditions. On weekends and evenings, Dr. Sliva can be found shuttling his children to various school and sporting events. He and his wife enjoy supporting their children's community, school and church functions. He is an avid collegiate sports fan. You might also see him shooting a round of golf with friends, kicking a soccer ball with his daughter, skiing with his oldest son, or on the running trails with his wife.

2902 McFarland Rd Ste 300

Rockford, IL 61107

• ECOH
  • HFN
  • Mercy Care
  • Physicians' Care Network
  • The Alliance

Learn about Dr. Sliva

See how frequently Dr. Sliva performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Low Back Pain
Back Pain
Herniated Disc

Dr. Sliva's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Gout
  • Hernia
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Neurostimulation
  • Puncture Aspiration
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Rush Med Coll Of Rush Univ
    Medical School | Graduated 1999
  • University Of Iowa
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • University Of Iowa
  • William Beaumont
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Sliva has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Sliva does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sliva and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sliva's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sliva to family and friends
Dr. Sliva's Performance
Belvidere, IL |
I could not be happier!! Would definitely recommend Dr. Sliva and Rockford Spine Center. Wonderful doctor and I felt very confident having him as my doctor. I have been pain free since surgery.
in Genoa, IL |
Before my surgery I was unable to stand more than 2 minutes at a time and had trouble walking for more than 5 minutes. Dr. Sliva corrected a prior surgery I had with instrumentation. He removed and replaced the instrumentation, and added some new instrumentation for more stability. I am now able to stand and walk without pain.
Loves Park, Illinois |
I would tell anyone in need of a Orthopedic Doctor to call Dr. Sliva. He was easy to talk to and answered even my smallest questions.
in Rockford, IL |
During the several meetings with Dr. Sliva, I was presented with a very clear evaluation of my condition and the suggested procedure to correct it. Dr. Sliva gave me all the time needed to ask questions and to discuss the procedure as well as the expected outcome. The procedure and the expected outcome were exactly as we had discussed! He hit the nail on the head. I am extremely pleased with every aspect of my experience with Dr. Sliva and his staff. Highly recommend!
in laSalle, IL. |
Excellent personality and mannerism. Explains totally what will be done with my own problem. Very caring office. Explains in detail the whole surgical procedure and post operative steps for recovery. I have total respect for Dr. Sliva and his surgical knowledge.
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Sliva did my first back surgery two years ago , however due to my hard hotheadedness I over did it a year after my surgery and bulged the disc above where he had previously done the work. What he did two years ago was awesome. He went in and repaired the additional damage and I have to say I am again Pain free. Great Job Dr. Sliva. I promise I will listen this time !!!
in Winnebago, IL |
Dr. Silva recommended surgery for a severe back problem, which I fully anticipated I would need. The surgery was a success and following his instructions, my recovery has been better than expected.
in Buda, IL |
Dr. Sliva and staff were extremely professional. He explained my problem and gave me the option of surgery or not. Due to the fact that walking and holding my grandchildren was almost impossible to do gave me the resolve to go through with surgery. The outpatient procedure allowed me to walk out of the hospital without pain and get my physical activities back. I am able to walk without pain and looking forward to my fall hunting with my sons and grandsons!
in Rockford, IL |
My experience with Dr. Sliva (including staff) was exceptional. He explained everything about the procedure so there was absolutely no ambiguity. He listens and answered all my questions. The procedure went flawlessly and as a result, I am a new man. He performed a very thorough follow-up. I would also like to recognize Dr. Sliva's nurse (Meghan). She went out of her way to meet my many requests and to answer many of my questions during recovery.
in Spring Valley, IL |
The diagnosis and corrective spinal fusion performed by Dr. Sliva was life changing. Equally impressive and meaningful to me was his caring, thoughtful and responsive manner during the two office visits I've had, as well as a bedside stop he made, minutes before my surgery. It's rare, I've heard, for technical surgical expertise to be partnered with a truly nice and warm human being. Dr. Sliva does both superbly.
in Dixon, IL |
Dr. Sliva explained the surgery to me and every thing that would happen so even though I was afraid when I was first told I needed surgery, he made it less scary!
in Roscoe, IL |
Dr. Sliva was great. He found a problem with a previous Dr.s work and fixed it. Do not hesitate to go see him.
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Sliva has gone above and beyond to help me continue to exercise and be active in spite of my lower lumbar issues. It is very important for my mental health that I stay active. He has a great bedside manner and he doesn't make you feel rushed. He wants to spent time with his patients and makes sure all questions are answered. Communication is vey important to me, Dr. Sliva and team exhibit this behavior very well. The Doctor, The P.A. and Nurse are all aware of what issues are happening.
in Rockford, IL |
This doctor is amazing. I had a 2 level spinal fusion 7 weeks ago and I am very nearly pain free. He is kind, compassionate and an extremely skilled surgeon. His whole staff is wonderful. I had a horrible experience with a different back surgeon 8 years ago, so I was very nervous and wary of meeting Dr. Sliva. But, I was so happy with him that I recommend anyone with back pain to go to him. He has given my quality of life back.
in Rockford, IL |
I could not be more pleased with the results of my surgery. I was advised that I could be out of work for 2-6 weeks but I only missed one week. I was pain free six weeks after surgery after having chronic back pain for several years. Dr. Sliva has a great bedside manner, is easy to talk to and takes the time to explain the procedure so you can understand.
in Peru, IL |
I have the highest respect for Dr. Sliva and his staff at the Rockford Spine Center. Everyone was caring, compassionate and professional. The whole staff made me feel comfortable and welcomed. Dr. Sliva was very detailed in explaining all my options before my surgery. I went into my surgery with extreme pain and came out painless. Thank you Dr. Sliva!
in Peru, IL |
I have never been more impressed with a Dr./ Staff in my life. the feeling of being cared for was above and beyond. And you could tell it was true and from the heart. from Jamie in coordinating, to Vikki in billing dept., to Brooke my contact nurse. Everyone Was Top Notch! Dr. Sliva found out what was causing all my neck pain in less than 15 seconds of looking at my MRI. and was very descriptive in all aspects of what to undersand with my procedure.
Very positive experience
in Kingston, IL |
Greatest Dr. I've ever had.
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Sliva is the best! He and his staff made me feel at ease at every visit, even though I was extremely nervous. He spoke to me as a real person, in terms that made sense to me. Everything was explained thoroughly and I was never made to feel rushed if I had questions. I felt that he was compassionate to my needs and I wasn't just another number. Although nobody wants to have spine issues, if you do, Dr Sliva is absolutely the Dr to choose!
in Rockford, IL |
It was not pain free but so happy that I did this.
Have you seen Dr. Christopher Sliva, MD?
Are you Dr. Sliva?