Dr. Christopher Kauffman, MD

Dr. Christopher Kauffman, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  ·

Dr. Christopher Kauffman, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Nashville, TN and has been practicing for 19 years. He specializes in orthopedic surgery, orthopedic spine surgery, and more.Read his story

Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics

394 Harding Pl Ste 200

Nashville, TN 37211

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Baptist Health Services Group
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee
  • Cigna-HealthSpring
  • Community Health Network
  • CorVel

Learn about Dr. Kauffman

See how frequently Dr. Kauffman performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chronic Neck Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Back Pain
high

Dr. Kauffman's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Kauffman's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Kauffman "I was born and raised in upstate New York where I grew up on farmland. I went to Cornell University in Ithaca NY for undergraduate college and received a Bachelor's of Science degree in Biology. I went on to one of the New York State medical colleges in Brooklyn NY. I became interested in orthopaedics while in school and started my interest in spinal care working with a scoliosis surgeon in my elective time. While there I was active in orthopaedic research and won the Russell Hibbs award for one of the projects and papers. I attended University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark campus for Internship and residency in Orthopaedic surgery. While there I continued my interest in spinal care and worked with one of the top spinal surgeons in the US. Following residency I was selected for fellowship in Spinal Surgery at University of California, San Diego with Dr Steven Garfin. This fellowship ranks among the toughest and most prestigious in spinal surgery worldwide. Dr Garfin and his spinal care program are world renown for innovation and cutting edge care.My first post fellowship position was in practice in New Haven CT. While there I was on staff at Yale University Dept. of orthopaedics. I returned to full time academics practice at University of California San Diego the following year. I stayed there for four years as a member of the Spine and Trauma departments. While there I was faculty for the Spine Fellowship program and taught fellows and residents. The time I spent at UCSD was invaluable to my depth of knowledge and continuing education in caring for complex spinal conditions.My family and I moved to Tennessee in 2004. As my family grew we wanted to move to an area where I could have more time for family and where the lifestyle emphasized family and values. Tennessee has been very good to my family and me and we have established roots here. I look forward to continuing to be part of the Tennessee medical community."

This content was provided by Dr. Kauffman "I understand the anxiety and worry that comes with having spinal problems. The mere mention of ?I?m sending you to a back surgeon? creates concern for both patients and family members. Most of us have had a family member or know someone close to us who has suffered from spinal conditions. While I am a primarily a surgeon, surgery itself is not always the best treatment for each patient. The key to proper care is diagnosis of the problem. Spinal problems are especially complex. Sometimes even with the most thorough work-up the cause of pain remains unclear. But that does not mean we should not evaluate each patient to the fullest and as an individual. My philosophy is to gather as much information as necessary for each patient to give them the best diagnosis and treatment options currently available. The phrase ?surgery is the last resort? is often heard from patients but sometimes surgery is the first and best option. That is not common but in cases of neurologic compromise surgery may be the most conservative care to preserve function. In my opinion chronic pain medications are the ?last resort? in spinal care. The majority of patients prefer return to function to medicating the problem. It is my goal to provide each patient with a thorough evaluation and treatment plan that is appropriate for the care of his or her condition."

• Non-Surgical Orthopedics

• Broken Arm
  • Broken Neck
  • Cervical Spine Disorders
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

• Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Knee Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Surgical Procedures
  • Synovial Biopsy

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• Cornell University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1988
  • SUNY Downstate Medical Center
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • UMDNJ
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1994
  • UMDNJ
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1998
  • University Of Ca (San Diego)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1999

Dr. Kauffman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kauffman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kauffman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kauffman's Reviews

3.2
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kauffman to family and friends

Dr. Kauffman's Performance

GOOD

Dr Kauffman is awesome. Helped my husband go from not walking to walking after surgery!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option1
Dr Kauffman is amazing. I have reoccurring neck pain and see him on occasion. He is very personable and friendly and always offers me options. He remembers me even though I dont see him often and he gives me alternatives to medicines where I feel groggy. Working in the healthcare industry I see a...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option0
Professional. Knowledgeable. Informs you with procedure knowledge. Follows up with patients and doesn't overcharge.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option0
Best spine surgeon in TN without a doubt. Cares about his patients more than any other Dr I've ever seen.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option0
The first time I saw Dr Kauffman he did not examine me. I have been a Premier PT for years due to back issues. Sadly my wonderful Dr retired. But he did no research on my case. He did X-Rays and he contradicted my last readings. Said he would order an MRI, which a month later still has not been...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option4thumbs down icon option0
Are you Dr. Kauffman?

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Kauffman at Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics

Orthopedic Surgery Specialist