Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD

Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 45

Spine, and More

Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Houston, TX. Dr. Hulen has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest and Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Hulen to book an appointment.

KSF Orthopaedic Center

New Patient?
Red Oak17270 Red Oak Dr Ste 200 Houston, TX 77090

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Hulen is affiliated with Tops Surgical Specialty Hospital Houston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Recent Reviews Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

Dr. Hulen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Hulen

4.0

Dr. Hulen?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (36)
  • Explained conditions well (36)
  • Listened & answered questions (36)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (9)
  • Appointment was rushed (8)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (7)
Dr. Hulen gave me my life back. I can say my lower lumbar surgery went great. No one wants spinal surgery but if you need it, I 100% recommend Dr. Hulen.
Cherie Snider – Jan 06, 2021
Dr. Hulen's Reply – Flag
Thank you so much!
Unethical doctor
Oct 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Dr. Hulen was very informative. His assistant was extremely kind as well. He was my 2nd opinion after a non caring doctor attempted to consult me. Wherein I did not have surgery & was thankful I did not need it; he was very informative about my fracture after several months of not really knowing what was wrong with my back. On the mend and thankful.
PK - Spring, Texas – Oct 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
I had a difficult lumbar surgery and was told over and over my.pain was from healing. A year later and new MRI shows.my back was way worse then before the surgery. Now I am having to have a revision from my surgery with Dr Hulen...may buldging discs, nerve compressions, w thecal sacs smoched, and the right side is there are issues from the hardwear put in.Herniated discs with never compression all on the major right side Issues from L5 to S1 Left his MI office to go to texas, without even sending a letter out of respect, to let his patients know. I am now having to have a revision surgery from the mess my back is...only a year later. Bedside manner was ok, though I prefered his PA Shane. He was very sympathetic and explained alot.more to me the Dr Hulen did. I am sad to have to write this review. I just want to be able to walk more then 20 steps without sever right sided throbbing and pain.
Treasa Strunk – Jul 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about Dr. Hulen and his PA shane. I dealt with horrible neck pain for a year and saw 3 doctors previously before finally seeing him. Dr. Hulen finally gave me the answer i needed. Not even a month after seeing him i had acdf surgery with him. Being only 27 and this being my 1st surgery he made me feel comfortable and eased my mind at everything. He and shane even called to follow up after i got home. He takes the time to explain everything in a way you understand. I definitely recommend him for any care you need to have, just be patient with the not so great office staff you have to deal with while making your way to him! He makes the horrible customer service from the office, WORTH IT! I am 3 months post op and my pain is 100% completely gone.
  • Long wait times
Leah R – Jan 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
A nightmare! Condition is worse then before surgery. Can't swallow, no balance, shuffles when walks, huge incontinence issues. Not a desirable way of life. Would not recommend do your homework,
Oct 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
My first review was not allowed. Too truthful. Stay away from this doctor! I learned the hard way. Sincere review from a widow
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Mary jo maxson in MI – Oct 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
I had a laminectomy/discectomy in Aug 2018. I am still having horrible pain in my whole left hip to my heel! I can’t even walk right. The surgery was only supposed to last 45 min to an hour and he was in there for 3 hours! He’s very cocky and does like when you ask questions on why you are still having so much pain. I’ve been through physical therapy twice, and nothing has changed.
May 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Excellent knowledge and able to express it well to patient with limited or no knowledge.
Apr 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Dr. Hulen is an absolute horror of a doctor. I am so blessed that I only had to deal with this rude and egotistical jerk for a short time. Then an amazing surgeon took over for him since he does not have the skill or ability to even keep a patient comfortable...he excells at: lack of care, disrespect, inability to communicate, disregard for the patient's well-being...I could go on and on about how terrible he is. The one good thing about him: I never have to see him again.
Troy, MI – Feb 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
One year ago I had major spinal surgery with Dr. C. Hulen for my spinal stenosis condition. I had this problem for about 15 years and the last thing I wanted was surgery. However, the pain became so unbearable that it was limiting my active lifestyle. Upon meeting Dr. Hulen I immediately felt his confidence and kindness. The first 2 months of recovery was very difficult but worth every minute. The total recovery time was 1 year but I am happy to say that I am now pain-free! THX YOU Dr. Hulen
Patti in Shelby Twp, MI – Aug 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Stay away from this guy. In May 2017 Dr Hulan performed routine laminectomy. Immediately upon coming out of anesthesia I knew something was wrong. Both Dr. Hulan and his constituent Dr. Easton could not figure it out, and for months I laid in agony. Finally I went to a neurosurgeon in Ann Arbor who spotted the problem in FIFTEEN MINUTES what these Beaumont bozos could not figure out in months. A second reconstructive surgery was needed to fix the "total failure" surgery by Hulan.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
R Alef – Apr 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Dr. Hulen is nothing short of AMAZING!! I am only 27 years old and September 15th 2016 is day he changed my life!! I was told from looks of my MRI that I had a back of an 80 year old and what did I do to wreck my back so bad lol truth is I did NOTHING and woke up with extreme pain that I dealt with for a good year or 2 before finally seeing Dr. Hulen. I am now able to do things I never thought I would do again! I can never thank him enough! I got my LIFE back :)
Ashleigh in Waterford MI – Mar 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Dr. Hulen performed a laminectomy and a foraminotomy on me in Jan. 2018. My primary care doc referred me to him after a severe onset of sciatica. Well, due to the debilitating pain, I ended up in the emergency room and Dr. Hulen recommended immediate surgery. The surgery was a success and only 5 weeks later, my incision is healing great and the nerve pain is almost nonexistent. Besides being an amazing surgeon, his bedside manner and approach are top-notch.
Jason in Troy, MI – Feb 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Hi I'm Kim dalton ,, July 2016 doctor Hulan did 5 reconstruction surgeries on my back, then he waited for me to quit smoking and did a discectomy and neck fusion in Beaumont 3 days ago tuesday,2018 not only does this doctor genuinely care but I believe he is the best surgeon alive, I'm proud to say doctor hulen is the only doctor I would ever let work on my back.. God bless you doctor Hulen and keep up your wonderful work on improving everyone's health, I'm so proud to be your patient
Kimberly in Sterling heights – Feb 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
I want to update a review I left for Dr. Hulen in 2016 after my first surgery. I have complete trust and faith in him as a doctor and as a person. He takes the time to explain every thing to you and doesn't rush you out of the office.He did a second surgery on me in March of 2017. I had went for 4 different doctors looking for one who I felt I could trust .I have and will continue to recommend him. My horrible experience before was office staff not the doctor .
Paul Flynn in North Branch MI – Jul 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
This Dr saved my life. I told him not to sugar coat anything he gave me the truth and he rushed me to emergency surgery. He did the surgery as if he would want it done to himself.
Utica, MI – Jul 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Dr Hulen did spine surgery on June 17, 2016. I walk with a cane because of unsteady gait. I also get sharp shooting pain in the rectum and in the vaginal area. As far as I am concerned I am now crippled and can no longer do the things a normal person can do. My left leg is very weak and causes me problems when walking. Also, I can't bend over to put on my socks or shoes or tie them.
Beverly Sutherland in Macomb, Michigan – Jul 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
Ever since my husbands surgery in 2014 for a three vertebrae spinal fusion he has had absolutely no back pain for the first time in his life in over over 50 years. He is able to lift, bend, twist, carry heavy loads without any pain whatsoever. Thank You Dr Hulen, you have given my husband a new life. Make no mistake this Dr is the BEST.
Dennis & Linda Lucas in Troy, MI – Jul 06, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?
It's been 2 years since Dr. Hulen did my spine surgery and everyday I wake up wanting to thank him. The awful pain I was in prior to the surgery was gone the very next day. Everything was explained to me in detail and he made sure all my questions were answered. I had a vacation scheduled 2 weeks after my surgery and he told not to cancel it, he was confident my recovery would have a positive outcome and it did.
Rochester Hills, MI – Jun 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Christopher Hulen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Hulen?

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Hulen

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Hulen treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Hulen treats other conditions, please contact the office at (281) 440-6960.

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Dr. Hulen typically treats 56% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 15 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Spinal Stenosis
Spine Disorders
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Neuroplasty

• Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Hulen accepts

Dr. Hulen accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
HAP Insurance
Preferred PPO
Priority Health
Priority PPO

My goal is to provide extraordinary, compassionate, highly-effective, and timely care and treatment for you, to help you improve your quality of life,...Read more

Dr. Christopher Hulen is an Orthopedic Spine surgeon at KSF Orthopaedic Center in Houston, TX who specializes in treating degenerative, traumatic, deformity-related,...Read more

William Beaumont Med Ctr