Dr. Christopher Dawson, MD

Dr. Christopher Dawson, MD

Pain Medicine | Male

Enhance function while decreasing the need for pain medication through interventional procedures.

Not accepting patients who are solely interested in opioid/pain medication refills.

Dr. Christopher Dawson, MD is a pain medicine doctor who practices in Newport News, VA. He is 45 years old and has been practicing for 12 years. Dr. Dawson is affiliated with Bon Secours - Mary Immaculate Hospital.

Dr. Dawson's Experience

See how Dr. Dawson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dawson

Dr. Dawson accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Dawson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dawson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dawson to family and friends
3.4
Dr. Dawson's Performance
St Albans, HRT |
"Dr Dawson does not accept new patients whose sole desire is to have their opioid refilled." Ok Dr. but you have to understand that you are not dealing with athletes who just happen to have an injury or even arthritis. Those people are used to working out their pain for the most part. Most of us are not pill seeking junkies. We are every day people with ailments whos lives are greatly disturbed due to debilitating pain that also hinder our work performance & daily activities. Very distressing!
in newport news, va |
Dr. Dawson is amazing. His vast knowledge in the latest procedures and care and concern for his patients is unmatched. He spends time explaining everything to you and wants to get the best result without simply putting a bandaid on the problem. I highly recommend this physician to anyone who has chronic pain.
Newport News, VA |
Dr. Dawson is very easy to talk to and he was very attentive and answered my needs. I would recommend him highly.
in Newport News, VA |
Dr.Dawson is excellent , every recommended treatment that he has suggested has been a major improvement in my back pain. I trust his opinion and judgement. when he does the procedures he talks you threw them . I feel very comfortable during my procedures. he is a great doctor.
in Williamsburg, VA |
My TPMG family are wonderful, very respectful with a friendly smile each time i have an appointment. I TRUST HIM IN THE SUGGESTIONS HE MAKES WHEN I TELL HIM ABOUT WHAT PAIN PROBLEM I HAVE. HE EXPLAINS IN DETAIL OF WHAT HE CAN DO TO HELP EASE MY PAIN AND SO FAR IT HAS WORK. I HAD THA WORST KNEE PAIN EVER, I TOLD DR. DAWSON HE SUGGESTED AND EXPLAINED, WE DID THE PROCEDURE TO BLOCK THE NERVE AND SINCE THEN I HAVE NOT HAD ANYMORE KNEE PROBLEM. DR. DAWSON IS A WONDERFUL DOCTOR.
in Hampton, VA |
I'm breastfeeding, and can't afford physical therapy, so he won't treat me. Even medications that are known to be safe for breastfeeding, like Lidocaine patches, he's unwilling to even discuss. When I started crying in his office due to pain and despair, he left and sent the office manager to me. The kind of treatment I received today is why there is an opiod crisis and why pain patient's commit suicide. DO NOT SEE HIM IF PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING.
in Williamsburg, VA |
Dr. Dawson has been tremendous in my pain mangement efforts. He takes time to fully evaluate your medical history and come to a conclusion for the best course for pain management. He is far and above the best PM phsician I have been treated by including those at the VA. Dr. Dawson works closely with the patient to determine the best long term remedy and alternatives, but patients need to realize that they need to do their part as well.
in Newport News va 23607 |
I have been seeing Dr. Dawson for about 6 months and I am very happy with the treatment plan I am on . I am very pleased with the care and concern he has for me as a patient and I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful Dr . I love the staff and the office is very clean . the people in that office always make me smile . Thank you Dr. Dawson ...... awesome Dr . I can't say it enough .... we need more Like you ...
in Newport News, VA |
This is the most arrogant doctor I have ever encountered.Just looking at his redundant "canned" response to all his negative reviews, basically calling unsatisfied patients pill popping addicts, shows his level of arrogance and dismissive attitude. It was the same dismissive attitude that I found very offensive. He behaves like a spoiled child who has to have things his way or no way. He has no interest in truly listening to what his patients have to say. Wake up TPMG - you need to do better!
in Yorktown |
I was referred to Dr. Dawson for chronic hip pain. I did NOT want to be on pain medication I wanted to fix myself. Dr. Dawson spend a great deal of time listening to me carefully. When I did not improve after a month of Physical Therapy he suggested Prolotherapy. After 4 injections I can now walk without pain. I think this treatment has made a huge difference for me.
in Gloucester, VA |
Dawson is extremely arrogant and egotistical. I was a patient of his predecessor and never had a problem. My first visit I had to wait over an hour. Dawson brags how his colleagues disagree with his ideas on treatment but he knows better than they do. He brags how nice he is to spend time with patients knowing others are angrily waiting long after their appointed time. He is totally void of empathy and expects his patients to bend over backwards to accommodate his "rules" because "That's MY way"
Dr Dawson does not accept new patients whose sole desire is to have their opioid refilled. Patients that he inherited may very well not be satisfied with his conservative medical management practice. These patients are better suited for a traditional "pain management" doctor--one who comfortably prescribes many pills. Dr Dawson will however, continue to strive to enhance his patients' function and decrease the need for pain medication through minimally invasive, non surgical spine procedures.
in Newport News, VA |
Very personable and easy to talk to. I was impressed with his plan of action for my care that he presented during my first appointment.
in Yorktown, VA |
I have never seen anyone less caring, arrogant or sarcastic. On my first visit he reduced my medication and did not know most of my history or cared to listen. On my second visit basically told me that he thinks this is not going to work for him or I and he suggested I find a new Doctor. He does not like when you try to question him on anything. I could say allot more, but elect not to do so. I've ben to doctors all my life, I have never seen any doctor treat a patient this way.
Yorktown, VA |
He is arrogant, sarcastic, impatient, uncaring, volatile, unprofessional and inconsistent. Has no interest in listening to the patient. Without looking properly at patient records he is very quick to say theres nothing he can do, that not even surgery is an option, but at follow up visit he offers referral to a surgeon. He makes a "diagnosis" without examination or tests, and that diagnosis is telling the patient theres no hope. Stay away from this quack.
Norfolk, VA |
Dr. does not take the time to listen to his patients and seems judgemental.
in Yortown |
3 months to read the patient files. I listen to him go room to room seeing people while complaining about PC. He said there is nothing he can do for me! Said he just read my file. He said I am to far to gone for him to help which is part of the oath he took to help people I did not know was in the oath. I am not happy that this guy wants to bill for visit and drug test for doing nothing. Staff should call beforehand and tell patients that he is not going to help you, he knows but can't bill you.
in Yorktown, VA |
I appreciate Dr. Dawson taking the time to actually listen to me and getting to know me as a person rather than a walking chart. My regular physician moved and I was worried because I really liked the previous doctor... but after my first visit I feel so much better. Dr. Dawson is sharp and personable, and discussed my condition knowledgeably and with authority.
Extremely caring and dedicated to his patients, Dr. Dawson exhibits a level of integrity and commitment I've never experienced with any other medical practitioner. He takes the time to listen to my concerns at each visit and clearly explains treatment options. I always leave his office feeling better than when I arrived!
Fort Myers, FL |
I want to be clear...I did not ask for nor did I want any medication as I am allergic to or have reactions to medications. This doctor is disagreeable and arrogant. I admire any stance on less medications. However this is a man with no interest in your past knowledge about your own body. Never listened to me, refused to allow me to finish one thought. Dismissive and barely human!
in Cape Coral, FL |
He is a Wonderful Doctor. The reason people are writing Bad Reviews is because He is very strict and careful about dispensing pain meds which is what any good Doctor should do. He is a good caring Doctor and I would highly recommend Him.
in Fort Myers, FL |
Very pleased with Dr. Dawson. He helped me resolve my low back pain without drugs. I was also very pleased with how empathetic he was regarding an issue with my thumb and was very helpful in getting me an appointment with a hand surgeon. I would recommend Dr. Dawson for anyone with back pain. I had seen several physical therapists over the past 15 years, and he nailed the problem and referred me to the best physical therapist in Lee County. Now I have a plan to remain pain free.
in Fort Myers, FL |
First visit Dr. Dawson was great at selling himself, prescribed 20 Hydrocodone and one every 24 hours for sciatica pain and nerve pain down the leg and into big toe. When I told the nurse I needed something before appointment she told me to take a Tylenol. When I mentioned that to Dr. his response was, did it help, well, how could it help chronic spinal pain I had had for 5 months. I had tried lots of specialists since June.
Have you seen Dr. Christopher Dawson, MD?

Compare Dr. Dawson

Dr. Dawson's Care Philosophy

Dr. Dawson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pain Medicine
  •  Board certified in Pain Medicine and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Dr. Dawson has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dawson's Board Certifications

• Chronic Pain
  • Facet Joint Pain
  • Heel Spur
  • Knee Pain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lumbar Disc Degeneration
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

West Virginia University

Graduated in 2005

University Of Virginia Health System

Completed in 2006

Virginia Commonwealth University / Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine

Completed in 2010

Completed in 2011

College Of William & Mary

Graduated in 1994

Dr. Dawson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dawson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pain Medicine

• Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation
  • Sacroiliac Joint Injection
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate