Dr. Christopher Casscells, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Christopher Casscells, MD

Inspired by his godfather Dr.Alfred R. Stands, the father of Pediatric Orthopaedics and head of the AI DuPont Children's Institute, and his father Dr.S.Ward Casscells, the father of Arthroscopy, Dr. Christopher Casscells became a physician and surgeon. His life in Orthopaedics begins in high school repairing the only arthroscope in North America in 1968. He then began to do Orthopaedic research at the University of Virginia while an undergraduate at Yale University. That culminatied in Medical School at UVa, followed by a return to Yale for General Surgery and specialization in Orthopaedic Surgery. After a brief assistant professorship at Yale he joined his father in practice in his hometown Wilmington Delaware in 1986. In addition to his surgical practice, he has served as the President of the Delaware Academy of Medicine, the President of the University of Virginia Medical Alumni Foundation, and is currently the Director of Health Policy sector of the Caesar Rodney Institute. He is a devout Christian and has served as the Senior Warden of Christ Church Christiana Hundred, the largest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Delaware. He has been happily married to Susan for 36 years. They have three children and one grandchild, so far. While at Yale in the early 1980's he was extensively trained in the direct anterior surgical approach to hip replacement. This minimally invasive hip replacement is easier for the patient to rehab, is less painful and requires no restrictions on position and postop activity. While many surgeons are just learning this technique, Dr.Casscells has done thousands over 35 years.

...See Less

Dr. Casscells' Care Philosophy

We strive to provide the best orthopaedic care today's technology can offer, taking care to treat you as a whole person. We focus on working closely with you to find solutions that will best meet your individual lifestyle and functional needs. In practice, this means evaluating the musculoskeletal system in the context of your general health and life circumstances to develop a course of treatment that's unique to you. We approach each of our patients with care and dignity, and firmly believe that you deserve to fully participate in all decisions concerning your health. That's why we take the extra time to help you understand various treatment options, and provide a clear understanding of what to expect before, during and after treatment. We want to make sure that you can choose the treatment options that are right for you.

Dr. Casscells' Experience

See how Dr. Casscells' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Casscells

Dr. Casscells accepts 12 insurance carriers

Dr. Casscells is now accepting new patients
Casscells Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine2600 Glasgow Ave Ste 104
Newark, DE 19702
(302) 832-6220Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Casscells has admitting privileges.

Dr. Casscells' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Casscells to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Casscells' Performance
Wilmington, DE |
DR C is very knowledgeable and up to date on procedures. Does the hard to do but easy to recover from hip replacement...His medical experience makes him easy to discuss things with and he is able to help on reasons that the patient may be having issues....that do not require an operation. Excellent experience recently and years ago
Newark, DE |
Dr Casscells has taken care of myself as well as many members of my family. The office staff is very efficient as well as cheerful and personable. I've never had to wait more then a week to see him when I call for an appointment. Dr Casscells is also very attentive and he listens. I never feel rushed when I go in to see him. Sitting in the waiting room I have heard other patients talk about how much time he takes with them too. I would and do recommend him to all my friends.
in Wilmington, DE |
2 Hip Replacements and Rotator Cuff - everything like KNEW ????
Newark, DE |
I was given his name by my primary care and was glad I did. My wrist pain was dealt with quickly due to being able to get in so easy. Very good visit...will recommend.
Newark, DE |
I have only been to see Dr Cassells one time for my son but he is excellent. I would definitely go back to see him again and would recommend to family and friends. Great Dr.
Wilmington, DE |
Unlike the bigger Orthopaedic practices which take FOREVER to get in, I was able to get a new patient appointment for the following week when I called. My paperwork and script for my ankle xray was mailed so I was able to have all that out of the way. My visit was better than expected, the doctor was so nice and my ankle issue is now resolved. If any other issues come up..I am going back!
in Wilmington, DE |
I was a college athlete and saw Dr. Casscells for knee surgery, an ankle surgery, follow-up after a thumb fracture stabilized elsewhere, and another non-surgical injury. It has been several years since my most recent surgery with him, and I have been really pleased with my long-term results- I have been able to continue a high level of activity, including things like heavy hiking, trail running, and half marathons.
in Newark, DE |
I saw Dr. Cassells for a knee problem. I found him to be a caring doctor who thoroughly explained treatment options, both non-surgical and surgical. I decided to have the partial knee replacement, he explained in detail the procedure as well as the recovery. I am happy that I decided to have the procedure & that I chose him to do it. I have seem him since for other orthopedic issues and he is always informative and kind. I have recommended him, with the same experience for my family & friends.
in Bear, De |
I love that Dr. Casscells is a single physician practice. He has taken care of me for years. He takes his time explaining procedures and tests and listens to my concerns. His staff is exceptional. Getting an appointment is never an issue and his hours are convient. I wouldn't go to any other Orthopaedic doctor.
in Baltimore MD |
Based on a recommendation, I traveled to DE to visit Dr. Casscells for a sports-related shoulder injury. Dr. C talked me through multiple non-invasive recovery approaches prior to ultimately needing surgery. It's been 2.5 years since my surgery, and I am pain free with full mobility again! I cannot speak highly enough of his ability and the overall experience. Strongly recommended if you are looking for medical expertise, surgical skill, and patient dedication in a family-friendly environment.
BEST in the business!
New Castle, DE |
Dr. Casscells has a great bedside manner, and his staff is very professional. He was very thorough in his analysis, and clearly walked me through all of my recovery options. Would recommend him to anyone!
Wilmington, DE |
I took my very senior mother to Dr Casscells for a "possibly" broken foot. He spent a generous amount of time with us to explain the condition she had and the possible treatments. No, it wasn't broken, but a condition from her diabetes which he was able to diagnose and help us with. A truly great doctor.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
At 52 y/o I couldn't walk around the block without severe pain. Dr Casscells gave me a new hip and immediately the pain was gone. His True anterior approach allows me complete movement. I can cross my legs and do all the exercising I was doing before. What a gift it has been to get my life back. I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Casscells and his team.
Elkton Maryland |
A doctor with a nice bedside manor. Competent and and excellent surgeon. I would recommend him to everyone.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
I am 15 months post surgery with a total knee replacement. I could not be happier. I am back to biking, wind surfing, snow skiing, walking, tennis, and even jogging. I never thought I would relive the athletics of my younger years. Thank you Dr. Casscells. Coach Mac, age 60
in New Castle, DE |
Only cares if you have a condition requiring surgery. Otherwise, doesn't help you.
I have searched my database for new patients named Chris in the past year. This is not one of my patients.
in Newark, DE |
Dr Cassells was very friendly and he took his time to explain my sons injuries so we all could understand them. His staff were very professional, polite and very helpful. I was very pleased and I recommend him to everyone whom is searching through the phone book randomly looking for an Doctor like I did. Mrs. Edwards
in Middletown, DE |
Dr. Casscells did my knee replacement, which has been a significant improvement on my mobility and quality of life. He has always provided quality care and straightforward advice.
Have you seen Dr. Christopher Casscells, MD?

Compare Dr. Casscells

Dr. Casscells says...

Inspired by his godfather Dr.Alfred R. Stands, the father of Pediatric Orthopaedics and head of the AI DuPont Children's Institute, and his father Dr.S.Ward Casscells, the father of Arthroscopy, Dr. Christopher Casscells became a physician and surgeon. His life in Orthopaedics begins in high school repairing the only arthroscope in North America in 1968. He then began to do Orthopaedic research at the University of Virginia while an undergraduate at Yale University. That culminatied in Medical School at UVa, followed by a return to Yale for General Surgery and specialization in Orthopaedic Surgery. After a brief assistant professorship at Yale he joined his father in practice  in his hometown Wilmington Delaware in 1986. In addition to his surgical practice, he has served as the President of the Delaware Academy of Medicine, the President of the University of Virginia Medical Alumni Foundation, and is currently the Director of Health Policy sector of the Caesar Rodney Institute. He is a devout Christian and has served as the Senior Warden of Christ Church Christiana Hundred, the largest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Delaware. He has been  happily married to Susan for 36 years. They have three children and one grandchild, so far.

While at  Yale in the early 1980's he was extensively trained in the direct anterior surgical approach to hip replacement. This minimally invasive hip replacement is easier for the patient to rehab, is less painful and requires no restrictions on position and postop activity. While many surgeons are just learning this technique, Dr.Casscells has done thousands over 35 years.

Dr. Casscells' Care Philosophy

Dr. Casscells says...

Dr. Casscells practices general orthopaedics, excluding spine. He specializes in arthroscopic surgery of the knee and shoulder and joint replacement surgery of the hip and knee. He also treats fractures, sports injuries, tendinitis and carpal tunnel. He has 30 years experience in direct small incision anterior hip replacement.

Dr. Casscells says...

Minimally invasive surgery is nothing new to Dr. Casscells. His father, Dr. Ward Casscells, was the first arthroscopist in the United States. Dr. Casscells learned from his father and continues to improve his technique and approach to knee and shoulder arthroscopy. During his residency days at Yale thirty years ago, Dr. Casscells was trained to do an anterior approach to hip replacements which is a done through a four inch incision from the front of the hip rather than a large incision through the buttock or over the side of the hip. He's done thousands of these operations with great results. Other doctors are just catching up to this "new" approach. With knees, the treatment may be injection therapy, arthroscopic surgery, partial knee or total knee replacement. With long term expertise in all of these, you can be assured that your treatment will be tailored to you.

Dr. Casscells' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Delaware not available

Dr. Casscells has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Delaware.

Why It Matters: Dr. Casscells' Board Certifications

• Chondrocalcinosis
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

Completed in 1986

Yale University

Graduated in 1976

• French

Dr. Casscells does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Casscells and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• ACL Surgery