Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD

Pain MedicineFemaleAge 52

Dr. Bernstein

University of Pittsburg Pain Medicine

5750 Centre Ave Ste 400 Pittsburgh, PA 15206

Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Bernstein has more experience with Pain Management than other specialists in her area. She is affiliated with UPMC Presbyterian. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Bernstein to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

• Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Frequently Treated by Dr. Bernstein

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Bernstein treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Bernstein treats other conditions, please contact the office at (412) 665-8030.

Pain Management

Pain management specialists diagnose and treat pain and pain-related conditions through procedures including medication, electrical stimulation, physical therapy, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture.Compare with other Pain Management specialists.

Dr. Bernstein typically treats 72% more often than similar doctors

• Diabetic Polyneuropathy
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Spondylosis
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Bernstein accepts

Dr. Bernstein accepts the following insurance:

Select

Dr. Bernstein's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Bernstein

1.8

Dr. Bernstein?
  • Staff friendliness (20)
  • Explained conditions well (15)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (14)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (54)
  • Appointment was rushed (53)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (53)
Dr. Bernstein was very hurried and spent little time talking with me, let alone examining me. Zero empathy. It seemed as thought she really hated her job. She handed me a bunch of flyers/coupons for various products I could try and sent me on my way. She was not responsive to contact after my visit... and there will not be a second one. If you have pain, try someone else.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Dec 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
I've been dealing with chronic pelvic pain since 2009 so I have been treated for it with other physicians but the most recent one moved. Dr. Bernstein listened to my "story" with what I've tried and what works and doesn't work... She was very attentive to what I wanted and what she thought my condition warranted. Her staff and her fellow, whom I spoke to the most, were also caring and attentive. I like that they offer a program for fibromyalgia suffers. I am working with a trauma therapist currently so I am not going to do Dr. Bernstein's program until I have completed the one that I am in.
Jenn O. – Jul 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Our experience,; via referral was an initial positive video conference , during the COVID 19 pandemic several weeks ago while my mom was in the SNF, with compression fractures of the spine. That initial contact was very positive. Since ( 3 weeks) , we have not been able to reach her directly for pain mgmt followup , as was encouraged . Phone calls are unreturned, emails directed are responded only by a medical assistant. Dr Bernstein has also not responded to our Primary care physician's outreach,. All attempts to reach Dr Bernstein seem to be excessively screened and context is lost. I can only imagine something is broken in this communication channel and as a result, my mom, has paid the price .Ive been a senior executive in healthcare for many years, and I can tell there is something broken in the way the office is being managed. With positive reviews on the UPMC website,, this could be an office mgmt issue. I hope this helps others make an informed decision
Jun 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Please please listen to all of the bad reviews. Sadly I didn't check reviews before my appointment and I got treated exactly like all these people described. RUDE, unprofessional, spends no time with you before she shoves you out the door with referral to psych and physical therapy which is documented that I tried and cannot do. I left in tears because she didn't address half my issues, treated me like a drug addict after I come in saying I'm on opiates and do NOT want to take them anymore. If some one wants off dangerous pain meds why in the world would you push them away instead of helping. Psychology ??? Really?? After I tell her i already have one so why would I see another one. She has no compassion for people. I felt so low when I left I cried the whole way home. Please save yourself the trouble of being treated horribly!
Amber – Dec 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Wow. I’m shocked to read all these negative review. I thought Dr. Bernstein was very attentive and professional. I also was treated very nicely by the entire staff at her office. Maybe some of you thought she should just hand out pain pills. I’ll admit I wasn’t happy that I had to go to a “pain management Doctor” for a prescription. Pain medication has become a real problem in America because of those who choose to abuse them. D. Harvey
D. Harvey in Plant Earth – Feb 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
She tried to change my diagnosis froma conective tissue dissease to fibromialagia. Then perscribed me medication that i did not need and could hurt me. I think she is dangerouse, I stayed untill she corrected her sloppyness and enterd in to the system my correct diagnosis.
Nov 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
I have never had an issue with Dr Bernstein. In fact, she has been one of the most compassionate, attentive and knowledgeable doctors I have had in the last 8 years. I have multiple and complicated diagnosis that she seems to acknowledge and sincerely want to help me out with. If I did not see her I would be in unimaginable pain every day. She has given me a small piece of my life back......so I'm shocked by the reviews on here.
Cassi in South Fayette – Mar 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Absolutely would never recommend her to anyone. If she as only direct and not mincing words I could handle that. She is rude, demeaning, judgemental, uncaring. She makes up her mind and will not listen to you in the three minutes she spends with you. She makes you feel like an addict, and scum. Do not waste your money or time on her. Go somewhere where they care about you and try to actually help
Kay in Pittsburgh, PA – Jun 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Absolutely agree with the one-star reviews. (Difficult for me to type due to current condition.) I worked in QA in healthcare for several decades and absolutely would have recommended her dismissal. I would love to recommend her to several of the other one-star (with the exception of obvious damage control posts) quacks should they need the same incompetent treatment they provide. Am extremely sorry I made this appt out of expediency, without first reading reviews. Friends and family, NEVER!
Kate in Pittsburgh, PA – May 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Wow! This woman is a witch! Don't waste your time. There are many great pain doctors in PGH. How does she keep a job? NOT good for UPMC. The most miserable, condescending, person I've met! One star is far too kind.
Pittsburgh, PA – Mar 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Dr Bernstein is terrible, condescending, arrogant and ignorant. I met with the resident for at least 30 minutes going over my history and diagnoses. He seemed compassionate and understanding. He went into the hall to relay everything to her and her response was "She's lying. That doesn't even exist." She then came into the room and announced that all of my other diagnoses were wrong but that I have fibromyalgia without examining me or going over my records. What a quack!
Pitcairn, PA – Feb 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Bernstein for over 10 years for many reasons: She does not mince words and is very direct when presenting her recommendations, none of which have ever failed to help me (including multiple changes in medications and three rounds of PT/OT/psychological treatment); Dr. Bernstein has been late on occasion (what MD over the course of a decade is not late a few times) but when I let her/office staff/nurses know I have a time constraint that day, the MD has always taken;
r.h. in Pittsburgh, PA – Feb 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
A tech took my blood pressure. Next I was seen by a resident/fellow who asked me many questions, never really interacted with me, did not examine me and mainly looked at the computer. A second fellow/resident came in and I told him I had been seen. Then Dr. Bernstein came in with the three others. They did not examine me until I insisted and then it was perfunctory, 1 minute, and not a pain exam. Gave me a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. They did not listen. Did not relate to my pain.
Pittsburgh, PA – Jan 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Dr Bernstein is the most condiscending, arrogant Dr I have ever had to deal with, besides Dr Heres who is also part of the practice. She walks around in her high heels and thinks she is better than everyone else. She has no compassion. Dr Heres stood in the hallway of his office and loudly announced my medical information. Dr Bernstein also wrote false statements on my records for other Drs to see. She slandered me. DO NOT GO TO EITHER OF THESE DRS!!!
T. Lyn in Pittsburgh, PA – Jan 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Absolutely the most arrogant unprofessional Doctor I have come across EVER. If I could rate it at ZERO STARS I would. Appauling, not sure how she even got a medical degree with her attitude and horrific way of practicing medicine!
Pittsburgh, PA – Aug 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
She is the worst Doctor I've ever had too real with. They need too remove her the UPMC team . The worst experience ever with a whatever you want to call her. Your not on trial , your there for help to deal with your chronic pain. Also, acute and chronic pain she doesn't know the difference between. Just a waste of your time looking too get help with whavtever your issue might be. Also, she puts her pants on just like the rest of us but she don't think so . Just a horrible Doctor wnd person !
Pa – Jul 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
As I have read some of previous remarks and I concur with all as dr. Bernstein being a condescending person with no social skills and ready to disregard any and ALL comments concerning your condition no matter how severe it may be. And yes her influx of mini-ME assistants that take your initial comments and supposedly report them to her. I can't remember anytime she discusses them when she comes for her 60-second entrance as she thinks she's walking on water. She is Narcistic as they can get!!!
Wexford, Pennsylvania – Jul 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
Dr Bernstein is a disgrace to the medical profession. No empathy, judgemental, harsh. She (her office) had me come in early for appointment due to pain med about to run out during vacation, refused to fill pain med(too early!!?),said to come back after vacation (10) days, then cancelled that appointment saying it was too soon. No pain meds left, she abandoned me. No reason. Steer clear of her.
Jim F in Cranberry Township, PA – Jun 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?
It started out good when I first started seeing her . She was attentive. In the past couple yrs. 2015 Dr. Berstien only spends 5min while her Mini Me doctor/interns make you answer questions that you answered years ago . And they usually are very eager to judge you. And recently there was a change in the nurse. This nurse has No personal skills!! She is confrontational with me on the phone every time I call there. I don't call often either. Dr Bernstein now seems distant and not sincere. S
Pittsburgh Pa – Jan 26, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Cheryl Bernstein, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Bernstein?

• Pain Medicine