Dr. Cheng-Huai Ruan, MD

Dr. Cheng-Huai Ruan, MD

Internal Medicine  |
Dr. Cheng-Huai Ruan, MD is an internal medicine doctor who practices in Houston, TX. He is 34 years old and has been practicing for 8 years. Read his story

5252 Hollister St Ste 201

Houston, TX 77040

(713) 690-1991

• Medicare

Learn about Dr. Ruan

Dr. Ruan's Experience

Dr. Ruan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Internal Medicine
  • Board certified in Internal Medicine

Dr. Ruan's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Ruan "Medicine has always been echoed in every aspect of my life. I was born in China into a family of Chinese medical doctors. I spent the earlier part of my childhood growing up on the floor above my grandfather's clinic in a rural coastal village in southeastern China. One day when I was 3 years old, I woke up, ran downstairs naked, picked up my grandfather's stethoscope and ran around to avoid being caught by my grandmother while my grandfather and all the patients in his waiting room laughed. A couple of weeks after I turned 7 years old, I moved to Houston, TX. It was a culture shock to be in a totally new country and a completely different culture. However It didn't take too long for me to learn the language and assimilate into an already diverse culture. I found that the best way I learned was to learn about everyone around me. Everyone had unique stories, came from different cultural backgrounds, and had fascinating views on life as they see it. It was at that time I began collecting stories. These stories inspired me to learn about everyone so that we can all rise together. I knew that when I grew up, I wanted to be an inspirer. My family always stressed on using food as medicine rather than pharmaceuticals. My mother always stressed getting enough vegetables and phytonutrients in us when we were sick. With every illness we had, we looked at our behaviors (lack of sleep, poor nutrition) to see what we did to make our immune system fail us in the first place. After attending medical school, I realized that the focus on nutrition was minimal. During my residency training, while I received some of the best medical training in New York City, I still lacked true knowledge in preventative care. I sought to learn how nutrition affects our bodies. I began my research in nutrition by studying the concepts of functional medicine, Chinese medicine, and buried my head in many nutrition journals. I found that many chronic diseases can not only be treated by optimizing nutrition, but they can also be reversed. In 2015 I noticed that by using the dietary recommendations by current guidelines, I had tremendous trouble in trying to get people off of medicine for Type 2 Diabetes. It was at this time I began creating my own diet plan for my own patients. My philosophy in practicing medicine truly lies in the focus on reversing chronic disease. Although not all chronic illnesses can be cured, we can focus on significantly improving our quality of life by working together to put an end to unnecessary suffering. Author In December of 2015, I noticed that whenever I refer my patients out for diabetes education, they would still have the same or even high blood sugars after the classes. At first I was convinced they weren't compliant with the plan. Then I looked a good hard look at the American Diabetic Association guidelines and thought that some modifications were needed if I wanted to teach people to reverse Type 2 Diabetes. I asked my friend, Mimi Chan, to help me write a book with recipes: http://a.co/3QellRa"

This content was provided by Dr. Ruan "A conversation between a doctor and a patient is far more impactful than a quick prescription followed by a pat out on the back out the door"

Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

• Abdominal Disorders
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Acidosis
  • Actinic Keratosis
  • Acute Bronchitis
  • Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Acute Laryngitis
  • Asymptomatic Post-Menopausal Status
  • Ataxia
  • Atherosclerosis
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Autonomic Disorders
  • Back Injuries
  • Bedsores
  • Bell's Palsy
  • Benign Chronic Pain Syndrome
  • Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Infection
  • Blood Disorders
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Bronchiectasis
  • Bronchitis
  • Bruise of Face, Scalp, or Neck
  • Bunion
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Calcium Metabolism Disorders
  • Cellulitis
  • Chest Pain
  • Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Chronic Pain
  • Chronic Sinusitis
  • Confusion
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Constipation
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Cough
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Dehydration
  • Dry Eyes
  • Dry Skin
  • Dysentery
  • Dysphagia
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Ear Disorders
  • Emphysema
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Enteritis
  • Food Poisoning
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fungal Nail Infection
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastroparesis
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Hypokalemia
  • Hypotension
  • Hypotension (Excluding Maternal)
  • Hypothyroidism
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Peptic Ulcer
  • Pericardial Disease
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Pharyngitis
  • Phlebitis and Thrombophlebitis
  • Phosphorus Metabolism Disorders
  • Pneumonia
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Ringworm
  • Rotator Cuff Injuries
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Sepsis
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Shingles
  • Thrombosis
  • Thyroid Disease
  • Tinnitus
  • Tobacco Use Disorder
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor
  • Ulcer
  • Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Venous Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Yeast Infections

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Allergy Treatment
  • Anemia and Iron Deficiency Screening
  • Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG)
  • Bone Density Scan
  • CT Scan (Computed Tomography)
  • Cholesterol Screening
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Insurance Physical Examination
  • Joint Injection
  • Liver Function Test
  • MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
  • Osteoporosis Screening

• Chief Resident New York Hospital Queens
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013
  • American Board Of Internal Medicine Certified Physician
    Other Education | Completed 2013

Dr. Ruan has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Mandarin

Dr. Ruan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ruan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ruan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ruan to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Ruan Says:

Patient satisfaction surveys are truly important to me.  I am not asking for high ratings. I ask for honest options so that I am able to continue to improve the quality of patient care in my practice.  I welcome criticism as well as credit.  Thank you for sharing!

Dr. Ruan's Performance
Houston, TX |
Don't go here. The name for his company in network is Yexas Center for Lifestyle Medicine but he nills out of network as Ruan Medical Group so they can get more money from the patient and not the negotiated rate from the insurance company. Terrible experience!!!!! They will not refill under the in network name.
in Richmond, TX |
First dr I have been to that took their time in all aspects of the visit. Very thorough health history taken not only your physical history, but all background history of your life. He takes in the whole picture of your life, stress, exercise, family, etc. and thorough testing. Instead of just giving you a prescription, he considers your diet and exercise and focuses on correcting your lifestyle first. I never wait more than a few minutes and everyone in the office is laid back and pleasant.
in Katy, TX |
Very hard working and I like fact he doesn't just work to hand out pills.. he really cares about me and my family ... as long as I live in Texas he'll be my family's doctor ..
Katy, TX |
If you're looking for a caring and empathetic doctor who is willing to listen and do some further research on your illness, then Dr. Ruan is not the doctor for you. He is someone who is good at giving his patient a flu shot!
in Katy, TX |
Dr Ruan is the most caring and knowledgeable Doctors I know. He discusses everything with you and gives his patients informative information regarding your medical situation. Both my husband and I feel very blessed we found Dr Ruan to care fir our health.
Katy, TX |
Always feel rushed and questions seem unimportant and brushed off. Seen for new condition and I was not told what can/will be done if symptoms persist.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Ryan is a very warm and personable doctor. He makes me feel very comfortable, ditto the staff. He listens and I trust his medical expertise.
in Katy, TX |
First met Dr. Ruan when I was hospitalized for high blood pressure-low glucose, he was great in helping me understand my condition and what was causing this issue. I started see him as my primary 1 week later and he has been my primary care physician since. The waiting times for appointments ,because he is so good, are a lengthily. Through his Diabetes Reversal program I have lost almost 90 lbs. and was able to stop all diabetes medicine. Thanks Dr. Ruan
in Katy,tx |
Dr. Ruan gives great medical care and makes the connection to lifestyle. On my first visit we discussed an eating plan that helped my condition. He also posts daily messages on Facebook that I start my day with.
in Katy, TX |
Dr. Ruan is a very thorough and caring doctor. What I like most about him is his "new age" thinking! He brings many new and different approaches to treat problems. He listens to what you say and then comes up with a plan of action! I'm also privileged to be able to see his many informative videos which can be very helpful in certain situations. I have been very pleased with my treatment and visits to Dr. Ruan.
Katy, TX |
I started seeing Dr. Ruan after being a patient of Dr. Adams since a young child. At first I was hesitant, but I am very happy I fell into his care. He is the first physician I have seen who is familiar with the job of first responders, which gave me tremendous comfort. He has taken time to teach me about all of my struggles, and provided me with obtainable solutions. I love that he prefers to use food as medicine over handing out prescriptions. Plus, the staff is always friendly.
Houston, TX |
Dr. Ruan is not an authoritarian. He is a teacher. He is a counselor, a coach, and a cheerleader. This attitude is almost more important than knowledge because it is how he transfers that knowledge from his experience to his patients. He is also a good role model in this for others that need to be leaders.
in Katy, TX |
Dr Ruan is a dedicated professional who is genuinely concerned about his patients health. He is willing to explorer all available options to care for his patients. I Highly recommend him.
in Katy, TX |
I have diabetes. Rather than starting me on meds immediately, Dr. Raun asked if I would be willing to make a lifestyle change. He has a good diet plan to recommend and the friendly knowledgeable staff to help you when you have a question or need help. Dr. Ruan also told me he has some recipes for diabetics on the web. I was actually looking for those when I found this website and decided to complete the survey. I highly recommend him as an Internal Medicine or Primary Care Physician.
in Katy, TX |
This was my first appointment with Dr. Ruan and went well. It was for routine review of my lab work that is done every 6 months or so to make sure my meds are during the job.
in Katy, TX |
Initial checkup was very positive experience. Staff were very cordial and professional. Dr, Ruan was very thorough and attentive. I would definitely recommend him to anyone.
in New Ulm, TX |
Outstanding and highly skilled doctor. Excellent patient advocate who is genuinely concerned about the overall well being of each of his patients. If you are looking for a pill pusher, look elsewhere.
in Katy, TX |
Excellent caring Doctor. Young and knowledgeable. Takes time and listens to your issues, Prompt and courteous in complying with your requests. Good about explaining why he can't and an alternative. He has a stable and professional staff. He cared for me several times when I was hospitalized over the past year, and I was duly impressed, and very grateful when he agreed to accept me as a patient. The bond between a Doctor and his patient is special, and Dr. Ruan meets all the criteria.
Have you seen Dr. Cheng-Huai Ruan, MD?
Are you Dr. Ruan?